Warriors lose Clair and Pavlovic, but gains highly touted...

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Warriors lose Clair and Pavlovic, but gains highly touted...

Post by seasider »

Missouri transfer.

For Staradvertiser.com you need to be a subscriber to access the article written by Brian McInnis in todays staradvertiser.com. For Warrior insider.com just click on the link:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sportspre ... =202904821

http://www.warriorinsider.com/2013/04/w ... to-hawaii/

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Warriors lose Clair and Pavlovic, but gains highly toute

Post by J-Rod »

Like clockwork.

Hawaii will be under probation eventually. The programs APR rating has to be at an all-time low with all these departures.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

J-Rod wrote:Like clockwork.

Hawaii will be under probation eventually. The programs APR rating has to be at an all-time low with all these departures.
Cut and pasted from today's Staradvertiser.com:

Arnold noted that 40 percent of men's college players transfer before their junior year, and that several of the best players on the 2012-13 roster started their careers at other D-I schools.
He also said neither player's departure would harm the team's APR if they ended the spring semester strong academically.
The NCAA will release teams' APR rates later this offseason.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

For the sake of the program, I hope Gib has Atleast 1 high school recruit stay until his senior banquet

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

BigWave96744 wrote:For the sake of the program, I hope Gib has Atleast 1 high school recruit stay until his senior banquet
Just one!

Its time to stop being Transfer U. Gib has a brand new team every year.....

browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by browndog »

J-Rod wrote:
BigWave96744 wrote:For the sake of the program, I hope Gib has Atleast 1 high school recruit stay until his senior banquet
Just one!

Its like we're duke!!

:lol:

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

browndog wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
Just one!

Its like we're duke!!

:lol:
A lot of top-notch BCS programs have high transfer % rate. Most notable is Kentucky, where they turn pro after their freshmen or sophomore years or matriculate to a much lessor D1 program and became "The Man"; but, most, i.e. Duke players transfer because they want more PT or have visions of more "air time on Sports-center".

Bottom line, D1 college basketball is what it is...there's not to many Rozitis who with limited playing time turn out to be the biggest cheerleader on the bench, an ultimate team player. Or, another sports, Caley Thurlby who could have transfered out after her RS freshman year and be the number ONE setter on almost every top-notch BCS women's volleyball program; but, instead she chose to remain at UH and played behind 4-time AA Kanoe Kamana'ao.

You hear about Duke and Kentucky's, etc transfers doing good after transferring to another D1 program, but you don't hear much about UH's transfers at all; whereas, UH"s transfers who replaced these transfers turned out to be "mo bettah". And these transfers allow UH to open up scholarships for freshmans like Fotu, Jawato, etc.

Good luck to Claire and Pavlovic. If UH had Shamburger at PG this past season, Claire and Pavlovic would'nt have been thrown "into the fire", but a RS might have been the "elixir" to D1 speed.

JMHO.

Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

When Riley and Nash were coaching they recruited mostly transfers and JCs and occassional HS players. Asst Coach Wheeler had the JC connections, and if they were lucky they found a JC kid that had qualified after HS, so they could get him for 3 years. Everyone complained that they should have brought in more 4-yrs HS players. I think that might have been one of the things (???) that Jim Donovan wanted Nash to do. Gib has tried go HS recruits first with transfers/JCs second. Wheeler said on Portnoy's radio show (I think it was last year), that Gib will learn that getting a HS kid to stay here for 4 years (or 5 including RS) would be difficult.

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Ravens

Post by noasark2x2 »

Sorry Gibs whole thing about 40% of players transfer is just smoke so nobody really looks at all the transfers we have had as well as all the guys who did not get in because of grades.
I will give Gib 1 more year but what does he have 1 guy he recruited from his original class that made it through his eligibility??? Even that guy left early if you think about it.
Hopefully this is just a young coach learning how to make it work at the division 1 level but we will see
Let's Go Bows

Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

Dayton Morinaga's website www.warriorinsider.com has a nice article about Ozi leaving. He said he got the pro offer during the semester, but he wanted to stay and finish school because he didn't want to hurt the team's APR. Ozi's Mom posted in the comment section, that having Ozi come all the way to Hawaii was kind of a shock.