UH basketball expectations

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: UH basketball expectations

Post by seasider »

seasider wrote:
noasark2x2 wrote:What I'm saying is that Gonzagas recruits are not a bus ride away.you make it sound like they are recruiting Idaho and Spokane which they are not.
They have the same situation we have and yet they found a way to build a program that won with second to third tier recruits and then built a program.
A big part of their building is playing a open style that is fun to play and fun to watch. Right now we have an ugly style so it is hard to fill seats and hard to recruit. The hard thing with this is Gib is supposed to be a recruiter.
http://www.gozags.com/SportSelect.dbml? ... 27536&KEY=

One from Idaho, 3 from Washington, 1 from Oregon

UH has 1 walkon from Hawaii.
For Gonzaga's 2013 Class so far two have commited:
Luke Meikle, 6-8 PF, from Tacoma, Washington
Ryan Edwards, 7-0 C, from Kalispell, MT

Gonzaga also offered a scholarship to 4-star recruit Zach LaVine, a 6-3 PG from Bothell HS, Washington

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

One year later, and my feelings have not changed.
poidog wrote:
seasider wrote: LOL..you really miss Riley Wallace's last few years?

Gonzaga's recruiting ground, i.e. Duke and the rest of the BCS, and WCC, is only a bus ride away. "mo easy to recruit" than Hawaii's 2,500 mile plane ride to the West Coast.

Again, if Vander was 100% from the get go, and Spearman didn't sustain a severe ankle injury, Hawaii would've could've should've won 20 and possibly the BWC title.
You can judge Riley Wallace by his last few years if you want, but no matter which RW season you look at they pretty much always had a guard who could shoot from outside and/or could take a big shot when necessary. They ran decent motion offenses against man defenses and usually had the firepower to shoot defenses out of zones. They weren't always the most athletic team on the court but for the most part they were likeable teams that were fun to watch. Things started to fall apart towards the end during the Matt Gibson/early Bobby Nash days, but up until then I don't think I ever thought what they were doing was broke beyond repair like I do now.

I'm not talking about who or how Gonzaga recruits as much as how they play basketball versus how USC plays basketball (though I do like what St Mary's has been doing in Australia). There's a certain style embraced by small schools and there's a style embraced by football power conference schools and I happen to prefer the small-school style. Gib likes that power conference style where you bring in athletic players and superior athleticism is the key and you win by emphasizing defense and spreading the floor and semi-freelancing on offense. For UH, this has worked against inferior teams and in the beginning of the season when teams haven't had time to jell, but it doesn't get the job done over the course of a whole season. Perhaps this kind of style could be successful here one day, but it's hard to be successful at anything when you have a first-year senior as your only option at PG and you lose a handful of underclassmen after every season. From a personal preference standpoint, I'd rather see a slightly less athletic team run set offenses and be able to shoot effectively from the outside.

I don't really care if Hawaii won 17 games or 20 games. it really doesn't matter to me. The team plays ugly basketball no matter who's healthy or who's hurt. what excuses are we going to be using next year if it is yet another year with no improvement?

SectionACrazy
Starter
Starter
MLB: The Redinals and CardiSox
NBA: Boston Celtics since 70s
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by SectionACrazy »

I miss the days of actually having/watching basketball players instead of athletic guys playing basketball.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

Irse wrote:Yes. Recruiting is hard since there is not much local talent. But it seems like Arnold doesn't know what kind of players he wants. He brings in a class and most of them leave the next year or they don't even qualify. Don't always need 4-5 stars. Florida Gulf Coast did more with their 1 star guys than Kentucky did with their 5 star guys. Of course, Calipari can't coach worth a damn.
:- Oh, IRSE man, if Calipari was STILL at Memphis, would you say differently? :lol: :lol: And yes, this year's Kentucky will be 1 and done as well...but with a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP? :- I don't know....can they beat WISC? Do they meet up with Florida a 4 time? (previous 3, all losts) :- Who's to say that UCONN might take it all? :- :read: :roll:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote:
Irse wrote:Yes. Recruiting is hard since there is not much local talent. But it seems like Arnold doesn't know what kind of players he wants. He brings in a class and most of them leave the next year or they don't even qualify. Don't always need 4-5 stars. Florida Gulf Coast did more with their 1 star guys than Kentucky did with their 5 star guys. Of course, Calipari can't coach worth a damn.
:- Oh, IRSE man, if Calipari was STILL at Memphis, would you say differently? :lol: :lol: And yes, this year's Kentucky will be 1 and done as well...but with a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP? :- I don't know....can they beat WISC? Do they meet up with Florida a 4 time? (previous 3, all losts) :- Who's to say that UCONN might take it all? :- :read: :roll:
when Calipari was at memphis, he still pulled a lot of one and dones. being at kentucky changed his paycheck far more than the way he coached or his team makeup.

his teams always look like garbage in some way or another, its just that top talent really CAN carry you far.

they'll probably beat wiscy though, because Wiscy was lucky to get this far.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

xer 21 wrote: when Calipari was at memphis, he still pulled a lot of one and dones. being at kentucky changed his paycheck far more than the way he coached or his team makeup.

his teams always look like garbage in some way or another, its just that top talent really CAN carry you far.

they'll probably beat wiscy though, because Wiscy was lucky to get this far.
:- ABSOLELUTELY Xer21! Being paid at KENTUCKY is far from the paycheck (and pressure) at MEMPHIS, but the results are all that matters! BIG BLUE wants NATIONAL TITLEs! And Calipari wants to deliver( and he has one) that to the frenetic nation of the Wildcats!

[-X But don't sell WISC short...Bo Ryan has his best team yet, and Frank Kaminski reminds me of a "DIRK" wannabe......but this dude blocks shots and rebounds! :read: Both games should be great to watch! :hello1:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote:
No. He can recruit but can coach. This year they're making a good run but last year with the number 1 recruiting class, they lost in the first round in the NIT. With the number one class, they should never be in the NIT.

I'm not sure how good the current coach can coach. He can recruit pretty good but can't see to get over the hump. Many Tigers fans want to see him gone. I'll give him a couple more years. He seems like a nice guy. But look at what Kevin Ollie has done in only a couple of years.
ImageImage

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

Irse wrote:No......I'm not sure how good the current coach can coach. ...... But look at what Kevin Ollie has done in only a couple of years.
:wink: Ah the spoils of being a winna! Hawaii! Dats why stay hard! :- :roll: