Gib Arnold's Future

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports

Should Ben Jay move on from Gib Arnold after the 2012-2013 season?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 43

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Gib Arnold's Future

Post by J-Rod »

Interested in everyone's take......

I believe Gib Arnold is coming into the end of his contract. Meaning Ben Jay would have to offer a new contract in order for Gib Arnold to return next season and beyond. Is it time to move on from Gib? He's proven he can recruit, but the constant turnover in players leaving and inconsistency is getting old. Really? Losing by 29 to Cal Poly? Man...when I went to games as a kid at the SSC, Big West schools were designated bye weeks. :lol: Now UH is getting slammed by these schools? Its time to uphold some higher standards for the basketball program. UH is struggling in one of the worst conferences in college basketball. No doubt in my mind if that this team played in the MWC, they'd be dead last.

We've already wasted Vander Joaqium's talent.....lets not do the same with Fotu. Next......

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Gib Arnold's Future

Post by RedZone »

J-Rod wrote:Interested in everyone's take......

I believe Gib Arnold is coming into the end of his contract. Meaning Ben Jay would have to offer a new contract in order for Gib Arnold to return next season and beyond. Is it time to move on from Gib? He's proven he can recruit, but the constant turnover in players leaving and inconsistency is getting old. Really? Losing by 29 to Cal Poly? Man...when I went to games as a kid at the SSC, Big West schools were designated bye weeks. :lol: Now UH is getting slammed by these schools? Its time to uphold some higher standards for the basketball program. UH is struggling in one of the worst conferences in college basketball. No doubt in my mind if that this team played in the MWC, they'd be dead last.

We've already wasted Vander Joaqium's talent.....lets not do the same with Fotu. Next......
I like Gib but when I see the guards in the BW and how they are better than the ones we got I have to ask myself why can't we get some?
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Kaimiloa
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Kaimiloa »

I'm willing to wait one more year when we have a real point guard. I see that as the only thing we are missing. But its like not having a natural quarterback on a football team.

Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

Gib got extended after his first year. It tooks so long to get his original contract in place, I think during the process, they ended up giving him a 5 year deal, so I think he has 2 more years to go.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

With the three game winning streak on the road and a chance for 19 or more wins, it looks like this poll was premature.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

let's see what gib does with shamburger, a more mature ozi and manroop, and stanhardinger coming back.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Not going to be blinded by a few positive conference results. The Big West's RPI rating is at 19.....the WAC? 13. The MWC? 2!!!!!! Can't drop program expectations.....especially now that UH is in an unbelievably weak basketball conference. Anything short of making the Big West title game would be a sad moment for the program. If the football program dropped to the Big Sky Conference, would we accept 3rd place? Didn't think so.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

gib proving his worth now. his team was able to win 3 straight road games, something hawaii hasnt done is a very long time! and just last night the bows destroyed the top team in the conference in LBS. now i know what matters most is what happens come post season but i give gib a lot of credit. especially after losing all those players from last season, this team is still competitive and fun to watch.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

im just curious as to what exactly you think we can move on to?

no one's really available atm. gib weathered a pretty big storm last year with all the ego issues and stuff. so far, he's taken a team that, for all intents and purposes was entirely new. aside from Hauns and Vander and maybe Jefferson, we dont have ANY returnees making huge contributions.

i think its important to recognize that while we are in a weaker conference, we're still doing better than last year all things considered, with a team that essentially started from scratch.

am i satisfied with having 4 losses in the BWC? no. but is this a marked improvement from last year's abysmal season? i think so.

and while everyone hates the "wait and see" game, seriously, once we get shamburger, we fix many of our top problems. ie, a PG who can shoot, a PG who can create off the dribble, a PG who can make free throws... with the exception of Joston, everyone on this team has a lot more potential than most of the guys we had last year. guys like Fotu and Standhardinger and Shamburger are all exciting recruits.

my opinion: play it out. he is doing way better than nash, and has had to build from scratch three years in a row. if he loses players in the off season again, can him. but for now, give him a year, at the very least.

targets.

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Ravens

Post by noasark2x2 »

I think Gib is doing an admirable job this year. I would give him next year on the condition of watching how many kids leave during the offseason. I actually think he may lose one or two he just can't lose more than that
Let's Go Bows

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

5 in a row and in second place with 15 wins.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

uhwarriors wrote:5 in a row and in second place with 15 wins.
Yep. They've got my attention. Chemistry is HUGE in any team sport, and it seems the Basketball Bows have developed some over the course of the season. They're clicking right now.

oldhawaiiguy
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by oldhawaiiguy »

Good point Xer! "What would we move on to?"

The Big West is a conference with perennial losers and also-rans. Who would want to coach there? It's a stepping stone for someone and that's about it.

A good choice economically for UH but the West Coast Conference fields good teams but I guess they weren't interested.

To me, it's like UH has given up on the sport as a real Division I program.

Kaimiloa
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Kaimiloa »

WCC wants to stay as a conference for religiously affiliated schools.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

oldhawaiiguy wrote:Good point Xer! "What would we move on to?"

The Big West is a conference with perennial losers and also-rans. Who would want to coach there? It's a stepping stone for someone and that's about it.

A good choice economically for UH but the West Coast Conference fields good teams but I guess they weren't interested.

To me, it's like UH has given up on the sport as a real Division I program.

umm, we went to the big west because we didnt have a choice. the pac wasnt looking, the WCC wasnt looking, and the MWC didnt want us. uh didnt give up, we didnt have a choice.

trust me, we WANTED to be in the WCC.

the big west doesnt have to be a weak conference. its just going to take committment. Beach is a good team with a generally strong program. if hawaii can pick it up consistently, we could become more like the WCC. the WCC only has a couple of good teams and a few decent ones. it definitely isnt the best. we just need coached to like monson to make a committment and continually improve their programs.

targets.