Gib Arnold's Future

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports

Should Ben Jay move on from Gib Arnold after the 2012-2013 season?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 43

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Gib Arnold's Future

Post by HawaiianHogster »

I would allow Gib to complete his contract. After his fifth year is up, see where the program is and where it is headed before deciding either way. If they can win this conference this year and win the conference tournament, that would be enough to let him continue. There is no coach in the world that can have winning seasons by losing half the team every year with the exception of Kentucky. Gib needs to work on retention big time. Maybe he should hire someone to find out why some kids leave so he can make the proper adjustments he needs to make to keep them on the team.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

HawaiianHogster wrote:I would allow Gib to complete his contract. After his fifth year is up, see where the program is and where it is headed before deciding either way. If they can win this conference this year and win the conference tournament, that would be enough to let him continue. There is no coach in the world that can have winning seasons by losing half the team every year with the exception of Kentucky. Gib needs to work on retention big time. Maybe he should hire someone to find out why some kids leave so he can make the proper adjustments he needs to make to keep them on the team.
its because he's taking chances on talented kids on the fringe. there's no question that guys like wiseman, Joston and Shaq had a lot to offer, but they carried baggage with them. sometimes, you lose those gambles. sometimes, you get a Davone Bess or a Colt Brennan, or a Christian Standhardinger.

i have no problem gambling on a few of these types. he's still doing solidly otherwise. i think these transfers will soon be a thing of the past.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

roygbivs
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
MLB: Milwaukee, ATL
NBA: Boston [NHL:Vancouver]
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

Post by roygbivs »

Oopsie - voted in the wrong - Rollover give Gib another 5

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

xer 21 wrote:
oldhawaiiguy wrote:Good point Xer! "What would we move on to?"

The Big West is a conference with perennial losers and also-rans. Who would want to coach there? It's a stepping stone for someone and that's about it.

A good choice economically for UH but the West Coast Conference fields good teams but I guess they weren't interested.

To me, it's like UH has given up on the sport as a real Division I program.

umm, we went to the big west because we didnt have a choice. the pac wasnt looking, the WCC wasnt looking, and the MWC didnt want us. uh didnt give up, we didnt have a choice.

trust me, we WANTED to be in the WCC.

the big west doesnt have to be a weak conference. its just going to take committment. Beach is a good team with a generally strong program. if hawaii can pick it up consistently, we could become more like the WCC. the WCC only has a couple of good teams and a few decent ones. it definitely isnt the best. we just need coached to like monson to make a committment and continually improve their programs.
also the winner of the big west gets an automatic bid to the big dance. if hawaii can win the big west consistently, the recruits will come regardless our conference!

SRJC
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by SRJC »

just read UH's NCAA RPI jumped 18 spots this week, up to 189. They're improving for me though It's Big West tournament champion or bust.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

SRJC wrote:just read UH's NCAA RPI jumped 18 spots this week, up to 189. They're improving for me though It's Big West tournament champion or bust.
I think I heard the regular season champion if it doesn't go to the NCAA tournament will get an invite to the NIT.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

that was awesome effort.

just kidding, i HATE UC Davis now. this makes not damn sense. UCD? really? shooting 57% on threes? for a team that never makes threes? even when we're guarding them tight, they just throw it up and it goes.

i HATE these guys.

total lack of pride, energy, effort, or care. disgusting. If I was Gib, i would have left the game early.

targets.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

xer 21 wrote: total lack of pride, energy, effort, or care. disgusting. If I was Gib, i would have left the game early.
Why? The bold is a coaching problem.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

J-Rod wrote:
xer 21 wrote: total lack of pride, energy, effort, or care. disgusting. If I was Gib, i would have left the game early.
Why? The bold is a coaching problem.
that isnt just coaching. coaching doesnt go out and play like that. the players do.

targets.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

xer 21 wrote: that isnt just coaching. coaching doesnt go out and play like that. the players do.
The coaches are the ones who have to discipline them better. A lack of effort IS a lack of discipline. That is coaching.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

J-Rod wrote:
xer 21 wrote: that isnt just coaching. coaching doesnt go out and play like that. the players do.
The coaches are the ones who have to discipline them better. A lack of effort IS a lack of discipline. That is coaching.
i dont think any coach was going to get them to win that game. that was just sad from top to bottom.

targets.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

i think if gib gets axed early, it isn't because of on-court performance...

All-American
All-American

Post by 808 »

According to Gib's contract as summarized on hawaiiathletics.com, he needs at least 18 wins with an end-of-season Sagarin strength of schedule rating of 185 or better to get an additional year rolled into his contract. http://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2011/11 ... ath=mbball

2012 – 2013 and 2013 – 2014 seasons:
1. Participate in NCAA Tournament or NIT Tournament, or
2. Win eighteen (18) or nineteen (19) games (including Conference Tournament & post-season games) AND attain an end of season (includes post-season) Sagarin strength of schedule rating of 185 or better, or
3. Win at least twenty (20) games (including Conference Tournament & post-season games) without regard to end of season Sagarin strength of schedule rating, or
4. Finish 1st or 2nd in regular season conference play, or
5. Participate in Conference Tournament championship game AND attain an overall regular season winning record, including Conference Tournament games.

So he has 17 wins with at least two games remaining. Anyone know what all the numbers mean here: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/s ... kt1213.htm

Is the schedule rating 255? If so, then 2 and 4 are not possibilities anymore (I'm pretty sure we're eliminated from contention for 2nd place). Only 1, 3 and 5 can come into play to get him an automatic one-year extension.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Bump....

SRJC
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by SRJC »

after losing to #238 ranked CS Northridge now I know for sure if Hawaii was in the Mountain West they would be in last place. Hawaii's win loss record is so deceiving because they play cupcake city opponents.