Gib Arnold's Future

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports

Should Ben Jay move on from Gib Arnold after the 2012-2013 season?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 43

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Gib Arnold's Future

Post by J-Rod »

SRJC wrote:after losing to #238 ranked CS Northridge now I know for sure if Hawaii was in the Mountain West they would be in last place. Hawaii's win loss record is so deceiving because they play cupcake city opponents.
My gripe of the entire season. People think this 17-13 record is something to be proud of.....its nothing more than the product of an AWFUL basketball conference.....one Hawaii is struggling to get through.

Gib doesn't get to 18 next week, Ben Jay will have some deciding to do....

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

J-Rod wrote:
SRJC wrote:after losing to #238 ranked CS Northridge now I know for sure if Hawaii was in the Mountain West they would be in last place. Hawaii's win loss record is so deceiving because they play cupcake city opponents.
My gripe of the entire season. People think this 17-13 record is something to be proud of.....its nothing more than the product of an AWFUL basketball conference.....one Hawaii is struggling to get through.

Gib doesn't get to 18 next week, Ben Jay will have some deciding to do....
17-13 with the current strength of schedule isn't something to be overly proud of, but I don't think it's something to fire someone over either. The contract terms he has is pretty well worded, should he hit any of those 5 season goals for this or next year, most people would consider that as 'having a good year' and be a good enough performance to have his contract extended. But should he go this and next year without having that 'good year', I think then it would be a good time to possibly consider other options. I don't think UH has the cash to be paying off coaches mid contract when they're not having all that bad of a season.

A loss and ending at 17-14 would be a downer, but there's still games left, I could just as easily see them winning two or three games in the conf tournament.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

well, most of my opposition to this thread was assuming we could close out well...

we sure didnt.

granted, the spearman loss was devastating. but the fact that it was devastating signals a greater problem in recruiting the back court at the present.

if you watch the games, notice that when spearman is out, we can not defend the perimeter at all. this is not because they arent being coached on how to defend it. its because without spearman, none of our lineups are athletically suited to be able to do it, whether or not they are playing how they are supposed to.

as of now, we are playing a number of lineups in the back court. these being:

Tavita and Hauns (most common)
Tavita and Jawato
Tavita, Hauns, Jawato
Jefferson and Hauns
Jefferson and Tavita
JEfferson and Jawato

and some mix and matches of those.

now, with any lineup that includes only a Point Guard and Hauns, which seems to be the most common, thus far, the problem is that Hauns is being expected to defend against a much quicker 2 guard while we play man defense, and he just doesnt have the quickness to do it. he cant fight through screens. and while jefferson is a good defender, JAce also has trouble keeping up with the smaller point guards. to compound this, in man, standhardinger now has to guard a 3, which, while he can exploit that on offense, is still a detriment on defense, because he just cant keep up with them, at least not for extended periods of time.

and when we go zone, the deficiencies of tavita and Hauns are somewhat mitigated, but the problem is then, again, everyone but vander and fotu are playing a position smaller than they really are, and now we people sitting in the corners waiting for wide open threes, because expecting Fotu to be able to close out on threes from his low post position and expecting standhardinger to rotate to them on the wings fast enough is just flat out unrealistic.

that's why we're getting torched night in and night out on the perimeter. with spearman, we allowed hauns to move to the three, which he still cant defend well, but its less of a mismatch, and instead of running three bigs, we only ran two and had spearman who could defend very well. this allowed fotu and standhardinger to defend in the post where they are more comfortable and everyone had much more favorable matchups.

yes, having Jace and Jefferson in with hauns is probably our "best" defensive lineup. unfortuantely, that means we're playing 3 on 5 for offense instead of 4 on 5.

while i have a hard time being mad at the team and coach for their performance in these last 4 games because its becoming clearer and clearer that this team is almost doomed to fail on D in both zone and man Defense simply because of Spearman's absence, the fact that one player's absence effectively ruined our entire defense in any scheme we run is not a good reflection on Gib's recruiting.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

nevertheless, i dont see us getting farther than the first round of the BW tourney without spearman.

targets.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

xer 21 wrote:nevertheless, i dont see us getting farther than the first round of the BW tourney without spearman.
And if that is the case, Gib's contract will not extend.

SRJC
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by SRJC »

recruiting Caleb Dressler who hasn't played this season wasn't a good idea. Arnold should've used the scholarship on another junior college pg/sf who can play right away. Dressler may turn out to be a gem in 3 years but I don't think Coach Arnold has time to recruit players like Davis Rozitis when his job in on the line.

SRJC
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by SRJC »

The team been sucky lately but I'm a Hawaii Warriors fan. I remember a Hawaii team with Troy Ostler, Nerijus Puida, Savovic, Burneika, Mcintyre and English with a similar record 17-14 win the conference tournament. So it can be done just got to believe.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SRJC wrote:The team been sucky lately but I'm a Hawaii Warriors fan. I remember a Hawaii team with Troy Ostler, Nerijus Puida, Savovic, Burneika, Mcintyre and English with a similar record 17-14 win the conference tournament. So it can be done just got to believe.
that team could really shoot, though. all they needed to do was get hot during the tournament and they became really dangerous. this years team? I don't know what they do well that would translate to winning in the tournament. tavita really has to start being a threat from the outside, or the offense will go nowhere.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

SRJC wrote:The team been sucky lately but I'm a Hawaii Warriors fan. I remember a Hawaii team with Troy Ostler, Nerijus Puida, Savovic, Burneika, Mcintyre and English with a similar record 17-14 win the conference tournament. So it can be done just got to believe.
Savo was a better player in terms of scoring than anyone on this team, period.

i'd trade all of our guards not named Spearman for Savo in a heartbeat.

targets.

BigIslandHank
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BigIslandHank »

He's doing a good job.

Next year, with Shamburger, Spear, Fotu (BW FOY), and Standhardinger (All BW) returning...20 wins is a strong possibility with all the home games we play. Valdez and Michael Thomas should be able to contribute. I also expect Jawato to be a more mature/smarter player. Throw in Jefferson and Dressler we should be alright.

We haven't had a losing season under him...he deserves some slack.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

It takes a lot of time to build a program and Hawaii basketball has not been consistently successful in many, many years. Some goods years mixed in with some bad years. Top recruits need to be sold on signing, and staying with Hawaii and Ben Jay sounds like someone sincere and go gettum to build the entire athletic program, and in the meantime, support Gib and the men's basketball program. Jay acknowledges that it takes more revenue and watching expenses to get it done.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

tavarua88
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tavarua88 »

not a good start in the BW tourney...

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Getting blasted early.....Gonna finish the season 17-14....in one of college basketballs worst conferences. But have no fear, there is always next year. :roll: Right, cause we haven't heard that one before.....

Just wait until a bunch of key players leave in June again. Its an annual event with Gib.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

It seems to be a trend no matter what sport, when the spotlight is on us we fail miserably. Smh this is sad!

tavarua88
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tavarua88 »

making a comeback but dunno if they can dig out of the huge hole they put themselves in in the 1st half