Gib Arnold, Year 3, what is acceptable

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports

Gib Arnold year 3: anything less is not acceptable

Poll ended at Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:57 am

BIG Dance
11%
NIT Invite
28%
17-19 wins and Riley Wallace Tournament
50%
11-16 wins, 0 or 1 win in the BIG WEST Tournament
11%
Atleast 10 wins (any caliber of opponent)
No votes

Total votes: 18

BigWave96744

Gib Arnold, Year 3, what is acceptable

Post by BigWave96744 »

Gib is entering year 3 as HC of Hawaii and at $344,000 is set to embark on a season of either Rebuilding or Reloading.
In Year 1 he went 19-13, went (0-1) in the WAC Tournament then went (1-1) in the Riley Wallace Tournament
In Year 2 he went 16-16, went (1-1) in the WAC Tournament then season was over.

What would be acceptable for you, a fan, of the once proud Rainbow Warrior Basketball Program.
Take into consideration that the BIG WEST should be a tad less than the WAC or MWC.
Please leave comments :D

al
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Gib Arnold, Year 3, what is acceptable

Post by al »

quite often when a new coach comes in...
one, you see immediate improvement in year one.
two, it is typical to have the "sophmore jinx".
three, years 3-5 are the tale of the tape.

gibber has one thing his predecessor did not have...contacts and the work ethic to pound the pavement in search of recruits. he also has a staff that goes out and recruits...and they cover the nation and other peoples' nations to find a player.

hawaii is a tough recruit, but, it could happen.

i give the gibber year one and two.
this third year will be a tough one what with half the squad new but he needs to find 18 wins.

i think he's learned a lot and you could see his courtside demeanor a bit more mellow.

SRJC
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by SRJC »

at least be above .500 in conference and overall record winning percentage.

BBfanfrom71
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BBfanfrom71 »

al wrote:quite often when a new coach comes in...
one, you see immediate improvement in year one.
two, it is typical to have the "sophmore jinx".
three, years 3-5 are the tale of the tape.

gibber has one thing his predecessor did not have...contacts and the work ethic to pound the pavement in search of recruits. he also has a staff that goes out and recruits...and they cover the nation and other peoples' nations to find a player.

hawaii is a tough recruit, but, it could happen.

i give the gibber year one and two.
this third year will be a tough one what with half the squad new but he needs to find 18 wins.

i think he's learned a lot and you could see his courtside demeanor a bit more mellow.
You appear to be saying that last season's mediocre 16-16 (14-16 vs Division I) record was attributable to a "sophomore jinx". That's nonsense. Last year's record and 6th place finish represented a HUGE, BLOWN OPPORTUNITY to win a conference championship and go to the NCAA tournament. The WAC was pathetic last year and did not even require having a real good team to win it all. UH returned 4 players who were starters during the second half of the season, including its leading scorer and 3 of its top 4, its top rebounder and top assist man as well as its sixth man. To top it off, Gib had 6 open slots to land maybe 2 or more solid, ready to play newcomers who could start or fill spots in a solid 7 or 8 man rotation, and Gib flat blew it by going after and signing 4 guys who couldn't get eligible. Being such a "great recruiter" - or so people say - if he had properly assessed the situation and brought in two or so guys like Brandon Spearman, chances are very good that the WAC title would have been Hawaii's.

Likewise, next year, a down Big West conference should present Hawaii with a golden opportunity to win a conference championship and go to the Big Dance. Long Beach has good players, but they lost 4 starters and are rebuilding. Santa Barbara likewise has been decimated by graduation. Fullerton has talent but seems to be in turmoil. All the rest of the teams are mediocre to poor to begin with. One would have to think that with 3 returning starters, including 2 guys who would probably make up the biggest and best front court in the Big West and a promising young scoring guard, plus 3 other returning role players who had contributed a lot of valuable minutes, Hawaii would be one of the favorites to win it all - just like last year. But there have now been 4 defections, and at least 3 of the players leaving would have been important contributors, if not starters. The front court may still end up being good (although I'm not as optimistic as some others), but the back court, despite the addition of Spearman, looks weak with only an unscholarshipped senior who hasn't played in two years and two redshirt freshmen, one of whom started out as a walk-on. Right now, next season is shaping up as another seldom seen opportunity which Gib is about blow - again. The year after, the Beach will be restored, and the big bad boy, San Diego State will enter the scene.

So I agree with you that next season will be a telling one for Gib's future, but if the team is mediocre or worse next season, i do not share your view that he should get another two years (4 and 5) to prove himself after blowing two golden opportunities in a row.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Turmoil within the ranks is never any good, and the Gibster's got it in spades. He needs to produce in year 3, and it has to be higher than the Riley Wallace Invitational to be acceptable. From the outside looking in there appears to be a disease and Arnold is on the hook to find a cure.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Ravens

Post by noasark2x2 »

I hope Gib does well. I'm ok with 18 wins and another 2 in Riley's tourney. As long as no players transfer next year.

My issue with Gib is that so many posters keep saying he's a great recruiter and I just don't see it. Part of recruting is evaluating the tangibles as well as intangibles. When I watched this team over the last 2 years they are neither athletic which Gib admits nor are they high character. So I question his ability to evaluate talent and character. What makes it worse is he is a rugged get in your face coach which means he has to find kids who can handle his coaching style.
If you look at the last 2 years his best players truly have been kids he didn't recruit.

Hopefully this is a learning experience as he is a first time Div 1 Head Coach and next year they do well and he begins to recruit kids that fit his style or he changes his style to fit kids and we can all laugh this off
Let's Go Bows

warrior1984
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by warrior1984 »

Unless he tanks completely, I don't have a problem with him staying on.

What is the alternative?

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

warrior1984 wrote:Unless he tanks completely, I don't have a problem with him staying on.
What is the alternative?
In any profession, no one is indispensable

warrior1984
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by warrior1984 »

BigWave96744 wrote:
warrior1984 wrote:Unless he tanks completely, I don't have a problem with him staying on.
What is the alternative?
In any profession, no one is indispensable
Of course, but the team hasn't even had a losing season yet.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Ok we are 15-10, with 5 games left in the regular season.
Highly doubt we will tank the last 5 and end up at .500.

curious to see how everything pans out.
looks like over half who responded will be satisfied with this season.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

VERY DISAPPOINTED :evil:
I mentioned on the Sports Animals the other day that if they lost in the first round, it would be Gib's Worst Year.
I stand by that comment.
Last year they went 16-16, but they were in a tougher conference than the Big West, had a tougher OOC schedule and atleast they won 1 game in the tournament.
I think our Strength of Schedule is near the bottom quarter of the nation.
I would hate to see our outcome if we were in the WAC or MWC.

Also it's getting old hearing the phrase, "Wait til next season"... :-

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

BigWave96744 wrote: Also it's getting old hearing the phrase, "Wait til next season"... :-
It is getting stupid. Just wait until June when he loses 3 more key players, but lands 2 supposedly solid recruits and fools everyone into thinking the team will be good again. 17-14 in the Big West translates to 10-21 in a good conference. Simply unacceptable.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

J-Rod wrote:
BigWave96744 wrote: Also it's getting old hearing the phrase, "Wait til next season"... :-
It is getting stupid. Just wait until June when he loses 3 more key players, but lands 2 supposedly solid recruits and fools everyone into thinking the team will be good again. 17-14 in the Big West translates to 10-21 in a good conference. Simply unacceptable.
It's sad that folks are selling the program short, saying we had a winning season....
In 3 years, Gib has won 1 conference tournament game, and that was a play in game...
The scary things is that in many of the Big West loses were Blowouts, while our wins were very close to being loses...

Ben Jay can't afford to fire Gib, but he soon may begin to create his short list of future hires...

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

for me, it's not about the wins and losses. I can't stand "how" Gib's team plays. I don't like that they struggle against an aggressive man-to-man defense, but can't shoot well enough when the other team plays zone. I don't like that so many players left after one or two season here. I don't like that after being saved by a walk-on from the football team for two seasons that we still didn't have a solid PG in year 3. How do you go for 3 seasons without having at least one recruited PG play more than one season? I don't like the rumors I keep hearing about shady things going on with the program. Gib has killed my desire to watch UH basketball.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

BigWave96744 wrote: It's sad that folks are selling the program short, saying we had a winning season....
In 3 years, Gib has won 1 conference tournament game, and that was a play in game...
The scary things is that in many of the Big West loses were Blowouts, while our wins were very close to being loses...

Ben Jay can't afford to fire Gib, but he soon may begin to create his short list of future hires...
Exactly.....I'm not asking for some juggernaut program, I just wish the standard would return to what it used to be in the Wallace era. No offense, but Big West teams were borderline bye weeks in that era. Now they're taking UH back out to the woodshed?

I'm sorry, enough is enough. If Leon Rice (Boise State coach who interviewed for Hawaii job) can get BSU to 21-10 (in a VERY tough conference) and on the tourney bubble with only Freshman and Sophomores on the roster, why the hell can't UH win big?

The talent has never been the issue.....this team lacks cohesiveness, structure, hustle.....that is ALL coaching!