have we ever had a coach who works so hard?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
al
All-conference
All-conference

have we ever had a coach who works so hard?

Post by al »

i mean really?
i can't recall a head coach who worked so hard for the program.
when he first came, he said recruiting is 24/7 and that he had a passsion for that phase of the game. he also said he was the kind of head coach who would get actively involved with recruiting.

...and he did.
check that!
...and he does.

his foresight is genius. a trip to the orient in a year where 7 new guys (or more) will don the warrior uniforms in a game for the first time. ten extra preseason days of practice coupled with 4-5 games all the while providing the team with an experience to the orient that they will never forget is genius. not only a great recruiting tool and great way to get early looks at his team as well allowing them to bond as a team.

they better get that contract with an extension and pay raise done by the end of april.

...nuff said!

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: have we ever had a coach who works so hard?

Post by Waryor »

i had tempered expectations in the beginning and he exceeded all my expectations. now my expectations are a lot higher.

not only do i think he can get us to the big dance... but i believe he will take us to the sweet sixteen and beyond! :D

bowfan
Starter
Starter

Post by bowfan »

I'm used to coaches making excuses saying nobody wants to come to Hawaii, amazing what can be done when you put in some effort like Gib has

tangomike
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tangomike »

+1 truly amazing what he has been able to do.
as the team gets better and he brings in more talent, he will build more momentum and i can't imagine what he's gonna be able to do.

bowfan wrote:I'm used to coaches making excuses saying nobody wants to come to Hawaii, amazing what can be done when you put in some effort like Gib has

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I don't know if it is fair to say whether or not the previous coaches worked as "hard", but what you can't deny is that Gib has brought new ideas and a fresh attitude with him - which turned out to be exactly what the program needed. Gib has so much passion not only for the program, but for Hawaii in general. And yet, he has a humility about him that makes him very hard not to cheer for. We are very fortunate that the selection committee had the foresight to pick him over then-favorite Kyle Smith.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

poidog wrote:I don't know if it is fair to say whether or not the previous coaches worked as "hard", but what you can't deny is that Gib has brought new ideas and a fresh attitude with him - which turned out to be exactly what the program needed. Gib has so much passion not only for the program, but for Hawaii in general. And yet, he has a humility about him that makes him very hard not to cheer for. We are very fortunate that the selection committee had the foresight to pick him over then-favorite Kyle Smith.
Boy, was I wrong!

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

Gib was too good a salesman--many of the fan base got fooled.

Sounds like we might get another chance at Smith. Kyle Smith basically is in basically in a dead-end coaching job. Yet he took Columbia to it's first winning season in 33 years and two of it's best finishes in school history.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

managerr wrote:Gib was too good a salesman--many of the fan base got fooled.

Sounds like we might get another chance at Smith. Kyle Smith basically is in basically in a dead-end coaching job. Yet he took Columbia to it's first winning season in 33 years and two of it's best finishes in school history.
yeah, for whatever reason he still wants the job here. and people said no one would ever want to coach here...

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

poidog wrote:
poidog wrote:I don't know if it is fair to say whether or not the previous coaches worked as "hard", but what you can't deny is that Gib has brought new ideas and a fresh attitude with him - which turned out to be exactly what the program needed. Gib has so much passion not only for the program, but for Hawaii in general. And yet, he has a humility about him that makes him very hard not to cheer for. We are very fortunate that the selection committee had the foresight to pick him over then-favorite Kyle Smith.
Boy, was I wrong!
It takes a real man to admit to his mistakes.

poidog = yes

Gib = no.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

My3Cats wrote:
poidog wrote:
Boy, was I wrong!
It takes a real man to admit to his mistakes.

poidog = yes

Gib = no.
forget admitting them, i wouldnt even remember a thread i made 4 years ago.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

xer 21 wrote: forget admitting them, i wouldnt even remember a thread i made 4 years ago.
I dug up some of my old posts since Kyle Smith's name has been coming up recently. I was hoping to find an old thread where I was like "They should have hired Kyle Smith! They will regret this in 4 years!" but instead I posted something almost the exact opposite of that! LOL!

I like going back and reading old threads every now and then. It reminds me of just how much we know and don't know about things...