Anthony Odunsi

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
uhwarriors

Anthony Odunsi

Post by uhwarriors »

Is the Iowa State decommit Jeff Portnoy is talking about that Coach Arnold may be recruiting.

http://hoopstalk.honadvblogs.com/2011/0 ... ch-arnold/

al
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Anthony Odunsi

Post by al »

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

Gib said that he's going to Texas and California again, so there's a very good possibility.

Warrior Insider: http://www.warriorinsider.com/2011/04/a ... ecruiting/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANTHONY ODUNSI Image PG/SG/SF, 6-4, 195 lbs.
(Travis HS - Fort Bend, TX)
(Offered Scholarship)
(Also have offers from Colorado St, Iowa St, Rice, TCU, and Vanderbilt.)

(Odunsi asked and was granted his release of his LOI from Iowa State.)

(He averaged 18.3 ppg; 3.3 apg; 3.7 rpg; and 2.1 spg this past season.)

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwBoKE7u-E8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_gphCRKPTQ (Odunsi is wearing the blue pants.)

Hoops Talk: http://hoopstalk.honadvblogs.com/2011/0 ... ch-arnold/

ESPN.com profile: (88 rating) http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ony-odunsi

Maxpreps.com profile: http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/0QQQZS ... odunsi.htm

Rivals.com profile: (3-stars) http://rivals.yahoo.com/iowastate/baske ... unsi-93756

Scout.com profile: (2-stars) http://hawaii.scout.com/a.z?s=219&p=8&c=1&nid=4954548
Last edited by Sportsbow on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

forget, pierre jackson, lets get this high school guy and develop him!

(although i'd still love it if pierre signed)
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

did this guy really decommit because he was worried that he wouldn't get any playing time? I wouldn't want another Salter/Coleman who's going to pout about not playing his first year here...

HK
All-conference
All-conference

Post by HK »

poidog wrote:did this guy really decommit because he was worried that he wouldn't get any playing time? I wouldn't want another Salter/Coleman who's going to pout about not playing his first year here...
I'm guessing the coach will figure that part out when he talks to him.

al
All-conference
All-conference

Post by al »

HK wrote:
poidog wrote:did this guy really decommit because he was worried that he wouldn't get any playing time? I wouldn't want another Salter/Coleman who's going to pout about not playing his first year here...
I'm guessing the coach will figure that part out when he talks to him.
seriously...we shouldn't speculate the negative. perhaps a staffer made a commitment to him that they couldn't keep. maybe he was pressured into signing in november and since has had a change of heart.

it sounded more like the coach signs him early and then brings in two more guards after him.

upon watching the videos/interview he sounds like a very mature and articulate young man.

do we need to question one's character before he even considers us?
i personally like his makeup and his potential.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

Odunsi's articulation is a big negative for me. I prefer regional diction. I like my ballas to talk 'hood.

But seriously, an individual's maturity shouldn't be measured by how White they speak.

There are three things that supporters of student athletes should be concerned with:

1. They give their full effort on the field/court of play
2. They remain eligible for games
3. They don't commit heinous crimes ("Time to Die," Chris Rainey) or break into dorm rooms of poor coeds.

No one owns their labor. Provided they follow the normal release and transfer rules, I have no qualms against student athletes bolting for perceived greener pastures. For that matter, I have no problem with Gib recruiting guys he may not be able to retain if he feels they can impact the program in a big way if they stay. The numbers game can become a problem, but I don't mind swinging for the fences. No one should give a damn about the NIT. Doesn't mean anything.

Everything else (the way they speak, if dey go Rainbow's Drive Inn, if they can speak Samoan with their linemen) is none of my business and the least of my worries.

With that said, I still think Carl English owes me a season. Haha.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

who said anything about speaking "white"? its racist to assume that white people somehow own proper english and that black people who do speak proper english are speaking "white".

but the way you speak can show quite a bit about who you are. in fact, its depressing watching college sports and seeing so many people, white and black, who cant articulate properly and not only speak slang with terrible english, they mumble and stuff. its nice to know that someone who has lived here his whole can speak his own language properly, honestly. it's refreshing and i personally would prefer that a public representative of an instituion of higher learning would have more articulate speech than some of these student athletes you see at many schools. especially if any of them happen to get awards; the last thing I want is an acceptance speech like cam newton's disaster of a heisman speech. they may not be stupid (although in Cam's case im not ruling out that possibility), but in a world dominated by images, it reflects poorly on the individual and the school.

targets.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

xer 21 wrote:who said anything about speaking "white"? its racist to assume that white people somehow own proper english and that black people who do speak proper english are speaking "white".

but the way you speak can show quite a bit about who you are. in fact, its depressing watching college sports and seeing so many people, white and black, who cant articulate properly and not only speak slang with terrible english, they mumble and stuff. its nice to know that someone who has lived here his whole can speak his own language properly, honestly. it's refreshing and i personally would prefer that a public representative of an instituion of higher learning would have more articulate speech than some of these student athletes you see at many schools. especially if any of them happen to get awards; the last thing I want is an acceptance speech like cam newton's disaster of a heisman speech. they may not be stupid (although in Cam's case im not ruling out that possibility), but in a world dominated by images, it reflects poorly on the individual and the school.
Not bad, Xer... next time we work on your punctuation, okay? 8)

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

madeinhawaii wrote:
xer 21 wrote:who said anything about speaking "white"? its racist to assume that white people somehow own proper english and that black people who do speak proper english are speaking "white".

Not bad, Xer... next time we work on your punctuation, okay? 8)
man, it's hard typing on a blackberry :oops:

targets.

roygbivs
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
MLB: Milwaukee, ATL
NBA: Boston [NHL:Vancouver]
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

Post by roygbivs »

this would be the cherry on top if he should commit and sign. good size, combo-guard

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

Anthony Odunsi to visit Colorado St this weekend. Then he will also take recruiting trips to Butler and Hawaii before making a decision on where he's going to play at.

LINK: http://louisville.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1212036

April 14, 2011

Odunsi ready for Fort Collins trip

Tom Lacock
GoldandGreenNews.com

Anthony Odunsi will be in Fort Collins this weekend trying to find a place to take his game after high school. The three-star prospect from Fort Bend (Tex.) stands 6-foot-3 and 190 pounds on the court and said he plans to make his recruitment an even plane.

Toward that front, the three-star prospect said he does not plan to give Colorado State a commitment this weekend no matter how much he likes it. Instead, he will take his planned visits to Butler and Hawaii before making a decision.

"I have to take my other visits and show everyone the same respect," Odunsi said.

Last season the Houston-area scorer accounted for 10 points per game and made good on 50 percent of the his field goals. He also got to the free throw line an average of five times per-game and made 14 three-pointers.

Odunsi said he has scholarship offers from Colorado State, Iowa State, Vanderbilt, TCU, Rice and Hawaii among others. At one point Odunsi was committed to Iowa State, but said he changed his mind when the Cyclones brought in five transfers. He said he chose to avoid that glut of new players to Hilton Coliseum and choose another home that would let him play right away.

Odunsi said Colorado State has been in touch with him since his Junior season and he enjoys the staff.

"I love Coach (Craig) Smith and Coach (Tim) Miles," he said. "They want me to come in and help them win a lot of games. If I come, that is my plan.

"The coaches are very interested and the location is great," he said. "I can play anywhere, location really doesn't matter. I love basketball and it is just in my nature."

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

Looks like Penn State is taking Hawaii's place as far as visits are concerned. Originally, he said that after his visit to Colorado State, he will visit Butler and Hawaii before making his decision. This appears like UH is out of the running for his services because in the article below, he said that he'll be visiting Butler and Penn State now. No mention of Hawaii.

LINK: http://coloradostate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1213037
April 17, 2011

Houston point guard recaps visit

Tom Lacock
GoldandGreenNews.com Publisher

With at least two scholarships still available for the 2011 recruiting class, the Colorado State basketball program has been bringing in high school and college recruits on a weekly basis. After hosting Cody Mann and former Minnesota Golden Gopher Colton Iverson last week, the Rams played host to Houston point guard Anthony Odunsi this past weekend.

Last season the 6-foot-3, 190-pound wing accounted for 10 points per game and made good on 50 percent of the his field goals. He also got to the free throw line an average of five times per-game and made 14 three-
pointers. He currently holds scholarship offers from Colorado State, Iowa State, Vanderbilt and TCU, among others. This weekend his focus was singular to Fort Collins and the Colorado State program.

"I got in at 12 o'clock on Friday and I got a tour of the campus, got to eat on-campus and got to explore a lot of different things. It was a lot colder than I thought it would be," Odunsi said. "Friday night me and my coach got to sit down with their coaching staff and a couple players. We really hit it off well. Me and the players had a good relationship from day one. I got a great rapport with them.

"Saturday, I got to see the players playing and got to see more of the facilities. I got to chill with (CSU Head Coach Tim) Miles. He wanted to know what I wanted out of a University and a basketball program and I let him in on all that and it was great. Me and (CSU assistant coach Greg) Smith are like family and it seems like this weekend we added Coach Miles to the family."

Odunsi said he enjoyed his visit to Colorado State, but he wasn't ready to pull the trigger on a commitment. He said he had planned to take three visits and will stick to that plan, however, he left the Ram coaches happy with his thoughts on the visit.

"I feel very comfortable with Colorado State and it could very well be my choice," he said. "(The coaches) were excited. They are just waiting to see what my answer is and they want to talk to my mom as soon as possible."

The road to land Odunsi may have been paved a little cleaner by a good visit, but there is still a long way to go before Odunsi signs with Colorado State. The Rams will be competing against two-time national runner-up Butler, which will host Odunsi next week and Penn State, which will host him the week after. The Houston point guard said the Nittany Lions jumped into the picture last week and he is going to take a strong look at playing in the Big Ten.

"They jumped into the picture a couple days ago," Odunsi said of Penn State. "They are a solid basketball team. I am looking for the best out of that situation as well."

roygbivs
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
MLB: Milwaukee, ATL
NBA: Boston [NHL:Vancouver]
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

Post by roygbivs »

After hearing Coach on the Bobby Curran show this morning, I'm not sweating this guy out. If he choose to come here, great. If not, great. Can't cry about something you can't get in the first place. Give the last one to the best available player that WANTS to be here as Coach put it, I'm great with that.

I dunno about Colorado State or Penn State?? He mentioned that CSU was a lot colder then he though, so would Penn St!! But, he needs to find the right fit.