Shoji sets tentative opening lineup

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
All-American
All-American

Post by 808 »

From Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 8/21/05

It's not official. But if the Hawaii Rainbow Wahine volleyball team were to open play today, the lineup would look very similar to that of last year.
Coach Dave Shoji told his team after yesterday's practice that the starters would be middles Victoria Prince and Juliana Sanders, hitters Alicia Arnott, Susie Boogaard and Sarah Mason, setter Kanoe Kamana'o and libero Ashley Watanabe. All of the players were starters last year, with the exception of Mason, a junior transfer from Oregon.

"But that's if we were playing (today)," Shoji said. "It could change in the next three practices."

Hawaii practices tomorrow and Tuesday before leaving Tuesday night for the AVCANACWAA Volleyball Showcase in Omaha, Neb. The fourth-ranked Wahine face No. 1 Nebraska on Friday at 3:30 p.m., Hawaii time.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/08/21/sports/index2.html

PoiPounder
Starter
Starter

Post by PoiPounder »

Kinda surprised about Sanders possibly getting the start. Hope she worked on her blocking skills. Though she didn't play much in the spring game it didn't look like she improved on it that much. Hopefully it's gotten better and she'll need to against the powerful hitters of Nebraska.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

PoiPounder wrote:Kinda surprised about Sanders possibly getting the start. Hope she worked on her blocking skills. Though she didn't play much in the spring game it didn't look like she improved on it that much. Hopefully it's gotten better and she'll need to against the powerful hitters of Nebraska.
She's been slowed by injuries, but apparently she's okay now. I did pencil in Nickie Thomas as the MB2, but looks like Sanders is doing the job. I guess, we've all forgotten how big Juliana performed during last year's post-season tourney...that great finish must be carrying over during pre-season practices. Still, according Coach Shoji, line-up still not finalized, except for Kamana'o, Prince, Boogaard...the rest will still have to perform consistently during practice. Unless Keefe or Houston performs flawlessly this coming week, two Hilo girls, Mason/Arnott, will be penciled in as starters for LOHs at opening night at Qwest Center.

I've got my PPV all set for this season (Warrior football, the Wahine, and Warrior BB)...can't wait for the season to start...soon is not soon enough...LOL.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Dave Shoji Show

Post by seasider »

No more speculations on the Wahine line-up for opening night, just call and ask the coach, on the Dave Shoji Show with Scott Robbs tomorrow morning, 0900 to 1000 hrs.

rayson
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by rayson »

I'm not surprised by Shoji's tentative starting line-up. If Hittle wasn’t injured there’s no doubt in my mind that she would be a starter and we’d have almost the same lineup he started last season. Didn't he say in one of the recent news articles that he was of two minds when it comes to the starting line-up. His conservative side said to use the line-up he used last year--if it ain't broke don't fix it. OTOH, the line-up should be the 7 best players regardless--not that the two are mutually exclusive.

My guess is he'll be tweaking the line-up for much of the first half of the season and everyone will get a shot at proving themselves on the court.