hawaii vs UTEP

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Last year Sottos a joke?

Post by seasider »

>>Last year Sottos was a joke, with everyone saying "Why did Riley recruit this guy".. The last 3 games he's the high scorer>>

How can anyone say Sottos was a joke last year? For some reason he was in Coach Wallace doghouse. He couldn’t prove himself sitting on the bench. Bottom line, Coach Wallace thought Lee and Carter were better. Hindsight, but if Sottos was given the chance to play alongside Kuebler, how far would last year’s team have gone?

Yesterday’s game:

Sottos played 24 minutes, was 7 for 7 from the field (6 for 6, 3s) for 20 points.

Tatum played 23 minutes, was 3 for 9 from the field (0 for 2, 3s) for 7 points.

LOL, Sottos perfect from the field, but ended up without the ball for that last possession. What was Riley thinking with 5.6 seconds left, designing a play in Tatum’s hands

Why is Sottos not playing 35 or more minutes per game. Sottos is stepping up to the challenge, he wants that ball, he's saying "gimme the ball, I'll carry you guys". Sitting on the bench for >16 minutes a game is absurd for a player who's "bringing it, and carrying the team". JMHO, Coach Wallace is doing a great job, but his stubbornness is costing his team.

Another player who I think hasn't been utilized enough, all three years is Pecuikas. Lack of playing time have not helped this player. Coming into the program 3 years ago, I thought he was the Real Deal. No player, no matter the hype he brings, can "bring it" sitting on the pine.

But no denying the facts: Although Hawaii had only 13 attempts (? How many were 1 and 1 or 2 shoot attempts), making 8 for 61%. Bottom line, Hawaii had shoot 70% as a team, they would’ve have should’ve won the game yesterday. JMHO

fulingyu
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by fulingyu »

after reading the articles in today's papers... sottos suffered a foot injury at about 8mins left in the second half. He did come back, but they were playing tighter defense on him. riley said that for some reason, the players on the court weren't getting sottos the ball and he was having trouble finding good looks. as far as that last play, i believe i read that they did draw something up for sottos, but tatum couldn't get him the ball or something.

it all comes down to the players. riley can only do so much coaching, the players have to understand that and find it in themselves to believe him and in themselves down the stretch. i have confidence in riley's system. the players will figure it out. we shall see...

and the toughest road games are behind us now... utep, fresno, nevada, rice.. all have to come thru here. only road game from now that looks like we'll have trouble with is louisiana tech...

-fu

killa
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by killa »

At least they are not gambling to lose on the road..... It was obvious in the past years when they would get blown out like the football team.

Wallace should retire. Hes too damn old.

warriorfan808

Re: Last year Sottos a joke?

Post by warriorfan808 »

seasider wrote:>>Last year Sottos was a joke, with everyone saying "Why did Riley recruit this guy".. The last 3 games he's the high scorer>>

How can anyone say Sottos was a joke last year? For some reason he was in Coach Wallace doghouse. He couldn’t prove himself sitting on the bench. Bottom line, Coach Wallace thought Lee and Carter were better. Hindsight, but if Sottos was given the chance to play alongside Kuebler, how far would last year’s team have gone?

Yesterday’s game:

Sottos played 24 minutes, was 7 for 7 from the field (6 for 6, 3s) for 20 points.

Tatum played 23 minutes, was 3 for 9 from the field (0 for 2, 3s) for 7 points.

LOL, Sottos perfect from the field, but ended up without the ball for that last possession. What was Riley thinking with 5.6 seconds left, designing a play in Tatum’s hands

Why is Sottos not playing 35 or more minutes per game. Sottos is stepping up to the challenge, he wants that ball, he's saying "gimme the ball, I'll carry you guys". Sitting on the bench for >16 minutes a game is absurd for a player who's "bringing it, and carrying the team". JMHO, Coach Wallace is doing a great job, but his stubbornness is costing his team.

Another player who I think hasn't been utilized enough, all three years is Pecuikas. Lack of playing time have not helped this player. Coming into the program 3 years ago, I thought he was the Real Deal. No player, no matter the hype he brings, can "bring it" sitting on the pine.

But no denying the facts: Although Hawaii had only 13 attempts (? How many were 1 and 1 or 2 shoot attempts), making 8 for 61%. Bottom line, Hawaii had shoot 70% as a team, they would’ve have should’ve won the game yesterday. JMHO
I'll admit, I thought he was a joke last year. What do you expect, we saw very little from him and when he did come in, he bombed and I don't mean the 3's. At first observation, he didn't seem to be able to get his shot off quick enough and that messed up his shot.

I'm glad he's showing up this season and wouldn't mind seeing some more from Pechuikas, hopefully we'll see enough of him so I'll be able to actually spell his name without looking it up. I also wouldn't mind seeing Milos in there a bit. He has put on some weight and I think he can come in to give Botez a breather and at the same time play extremely hard and give some good fouls.