Ugly 2nd half, but a win is a win

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Ugly 2nd half, but a win is a win

Post by seasider »

Watched the game last evening. Great first half: led 46-23, shot 58.6%, perfect from the line; held SMU to a 36% shooting.

2nd half, the Warriors would have lost the game, if game was at SMU's home court, with or without Hopkins. Warrior's shot 27.6% from the field. Only positive, Botez defense of Castro (? name), Sotos stepping up and hitting the 3s over the zone, free throw shooting (overall making 18-19). Two losses at Fresno and Nevada, hindsight, but free throw shooting cost the Warriors those two losses.

KFVE play-by-play man, and color commentator had no clue in the 2nd half. Only focused on 100% free throw shooting, and what if Hopkins was playing with his 17 pg average. I don't think they had a clue that SMU was in a zone, that a little over 8 minutes left in the game, the Warriors had scored only 8 points. Granted, SMU had major injuries, but clueless that the Warriors had a few players still touched by the flu bug. ? why the lack of playing time for Nash.

Near flawless 1st half, but ugly 2nd half, out of sinc going against the zone. Warriors were getting beat on the boards the 2nd half. Sotos nailing the 3s, and Botez defense of Castro, 18-19 from the line were the keys of the Warrior's winning last night. For someone smitten by the virus, Sensley did a creditable job, except for his 7 turnovers. JMHO.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

I think Nash had little playing time because Gibson and Sottos were doing so well. I know Sottos normally comes in as a PG, but I saw him in the line up playing the 2 a few times, while it looked like Gibson played a little Point.

I think Hawaii has trouble playing against the zone. I first noticed this when we took on Xavier in the NCAAs a few years ago. It makes me wonder if that's a weakness of the Flex? Once they ran the zone, we didn't have the backdoor to go to anymore? We kept passing and passing, but no one could make the cut.

flipen
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Mariners
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Seahawks

Post by flipen »

the zone is something that i guess gets our offense frustrated. but thats when pure-shooting guys like blacket needs to step in.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

There has to be another way to get to the basket when they run the zone defense on us. It's sad if a school can dictate how you run your offense by just changing up on D, especially if that's always the case. That's probably why we'll be looking for a new PG very soon. When they run their zone, there's no way Tatum can stay in the game. We need someone that's able to drain the 3 to try and force them to change their defensive scheme.