UH drops to 49

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

UH drops to 49

Post by Scott »

I guess a 24 point win wasn't enough, along with our opponents getting a few upsets here and there.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

UH Fan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by UH Fan »

What's so discouraging about playing teams like San Jose State (with losing records) is that even if you beat them (and beat them badly), playing them HURTS your RPI since the 2nd component of the RPI relies on your opponents' records (B):

The RPI formula is: (A) 1/4*(Winning Percentage) + (B) 1/2*(Opponents' Average Winning Percentage) + (C) 1/4*(Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage)

Now, if you take the cumulative records of all the WAC teams before WAC season starts and it totals well over .500 (RPI category B), then playing all the teams don't hurt you too much. But since many of the WAC teams this year had poor records, playing the WAC season would hurt the Rainbows this year.

The ONLY way (during WAC play) to compensate for the poor records of the WAC opponents is to win at least 2/3 of your WAC games (RPI category A), which means winning all your home games and about 1/3 of your away games.

Of course, as long as Hawaii's past GOOD opponents (St. Mary's and Oral Roberts) keep on winning, it helps too, but this help is somewhat OFFSET by continuing losses by Hawaii's BAD opponents like Long Beach St. and St. Louis.

An interesting RPI component is (C), which actually got some help from St. Mary's when they beat Gonzaga the other day. St. Mary's helped Hawaii in 2 ways actually: through (C) by playing Gonzaga and through (B), by winning.

Strangely enough, the one non-conference team that could help Hawaii is St. Louis. I know they have a bad record, but as they play really good teams in Conference USA (like Marquette, Louisville, and Cincinnati), they somewhat help UH in RPI category (C), and if they beat those teams, it really helps UH in category (B). Let's go Billikans!!!

UH Fan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by UH Fan »

To continue my rambling.... (I hope I'm not boring everyone)

Since Hawaii's strength of schedule (Category B) is about .500 right now, Hawaii's RPI will move slightly up if they beat SMU and LaTech at home: 1) Category (B) stays the same since SMU and LaTech have .500 records 2) Category (A) goes up a little with winning percentage.

Now... if Hawaii beats UTEP at El Paso, watch Hawaii's RPI jump up all of the sudden, because UTEP has a really good record (11-2) and that helps Category (B) a lot. In addition, any WAC win on the road is a quality win.

The most productive non-conference games for the Rainbows appear to be the victories over good mid-majors like Southern Illinois, Oral Roberts, and St. Mary's. These teams seem to be accumulating a bunch of wins. By the way, NO OTHER WAC team has a win over solid teams like UH has. I checked...

If these 3 teams continue, they will hopefully attain top 50 RPI's by the time selection Sunday comes around in March. Then, if UH is on the NCAA bubble with 21 wins and say 6 losses, the committee will look at those 3 victories as QUALITY WINS.... Now, as long as Hawaii has over 20 wins, has at least 4 road wins, and wins all their games at home, Hawaii will be the ONLY WAC team with a legitimate claim to an at-large NCAA bid if they don't win the WAC tournament. NO other WAC team can claim a better non-conference record with better non-conference wins than Hawaii.... NOBODY.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Very comprehensive and easy to understand, thank you!!
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"