2014, 2015, and 2016 UH Men's Basketball Recruiting

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2008 & 2009 UH Men's Basketball Commits and Prospects

Post by Sportsbow »

RODERICK FLEMINGS Image SF, 6-7, 210 lbs.
(Weatherford CC - Weatherford, TX)

Was listed by Scout.com and Rivals.com as a 4-star player out of high school.

The 6-foot-7 forward averaged 20.6 points per game and 11.7 rebounds. He was also named conference Player of the Year at Weatherford CC this past season.

Article: http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/de ... mings.html

Rivals.com profile: http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprosp ... 61&sport=2

Scout.com profile: (4-stars) http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p= ... id=1277865

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: ATL Braves
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

i actually think we have good shot of landing Flemings. would he be a sophomore or junior if the came?

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

2quik2finish wrote:i actually think we have good shot of landing Flemings. would he be a sophomore or junior if the came?
I believe he has 2 years to play 2, since he committed to Oklahoma State for the 2005 class out of high school.

jaguars
All-conference
All-conference

Post by jaguars »

Sportsbow wrote:
2quik2finish wrote:i actually think we have good shot of landing Flemings. would he be a sophomore or junior if the came?
I believe he has 2 years to play 2, since he committed to Oklahoma State for the 2005 class out of high school.
he could have only 1 year left to play and i would be happy cause Nash needs to do good next year to attract recruits to look at UH for future seasons.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Dang, this dude would be a big time get. I hope we land him.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

We have no business talking to a player of that caliber, landing him would be incredible!

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

J-Rod wrote:We have no business talking to a player of that caliber, landing him would be incredible!
My point exactly. Riley Wallace wouldn't go within a 300 mile radius of players like this. Nash wants to bring this program back to prominence. That's why he's going after the best players. I love it!

senorhayabusa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by senorhayabusa »

ANyone know if the players of the "FAV-5" era were highly touted or where they were from?

that might be a reason why Coach Nash is willing to go after the big time prospects or kids past the Mississippi river.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

There is a previous connection with the school that Roderick Fleming is from. Nerijus Puida and Mindaugas Burneika came from Weatherford CC as well as Dainora Puida and Janka Gabrielova for the women's team.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

senorhayabusa wrote:ANyone know if the players of the "FAV-5" era were highly touted or where they were from?

that might be a reason why Coach Nash is willing to go after the big time prospects or kids past the Mississippi river.
Bob Nash was the real big time recruit. He was a prep All-American from Connecticut. He went to San Jacinto CC in Texas where he was a second team JC All-America.

Al Davis and Jerome Freeman were from Crane Tech in Chicago. They went to different JCs (can't recall which ones). They are all-stars in their leagues. Dwight Holiday came from JC in California.

Nash, Davis and Holiday were all "spotted" in the national JC tournament and UH won the recruiting battle for all of them. If I recall the story correct, Davis told Red Rocha that he had a point guard friend (Freeman) at another JC and told Rocha to recruit him too. Also if I recall the story correctly, none of them came to Hawaii on recruiting trips because there was no budget for bringing in players on visits. They all committed sight unseen.

John Pennybacker was a big star in the military league and Rocha recruited him when his tour of duty was completed. He was actually here for two years before Nash, Davis, Holiday and Freeman came.

In the first year of the Fabulous Five, the fifth starter actually was Tom Newell who is the son of legendary coach Pete Newell. Holiday was more talented but a less consistent sixth man that year. After Newell graduated and Holiday became more consistent, he became the fifth starter.

hst24seven
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by hst24seven »

uhwarrior23 wrote:
J-Rod wrote:We have no business talking to a player of that caliber, landing him would be incredible!
My point exactly. Riley Wallace wouldn't go within a 300 mile radius of players like this. Nash wants to bring this program back to prominence. That's why he's going after the best players. I love it!
Since he could play at best only 2 years, ‘The Franchise’ does not seem appropriate. However. with the best fulfilled he’d could be ‘The Franchise Starter’. His legacy could lead our Program & Coach Nash toward the next level and new Gonzaga of the Pacific.
MACKs Warriors
GIB's A Time

dabowman
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by dabowman »

I felt the same way when i first thought about it. But the he could be a franchise player because stars like Derrick Rose and Michael Beasley only one year. So il take 2 quality years and label him franchise if he can be a 2 time All Wac performer and take us to the dance

senorhayabusa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by senorhayabusa »

THanks for the history lesson, UHwarrior, wasn't alive back then for the FAV-5.

I agree, Fleming is rightfully labeled a "Franchise" type player.

1) When's the last time we actually had a shot at winning a recruiting battle against Kentucky and Billy Gillipsee (premier coach/top 3 recruiter and a Legendanry program). Not to mention that UCONN and West Virginia are also looking at him.

2) Right now Hawaii needs a quick fix guy to help them get jumped started in the right direction (i.e. another SAVO or Carl English or Anthony Carter type player). Fleming seems to be THAT caliber of player.

- ANyone know who the other player that is taking a recruiting trip this weekend? Suppose to be highly touted but with academic problems?

senorhayabusa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by senorhayabusa »

uhwarrior23 wrote:

Yeh Riley got gun shy of high caliber players after the Marquette Alexander disaster. The guy was talented as heck but he was a total space cadet.

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: ATL Braves
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

someone on WSN also said that two local recruits are coming in this weekend