Dave Reardon's column 10/29/14

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
All-American
All-American

Dave Reardon's column 10/29/14

Post by 808 »

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sportspre ... =280751592

Can anyone answer these questions?

I guess I must have missed it -- who was the player that is alleged to have received an ipad? As far as I can recall, no names were mentioned in any news reports. By saying here that we could lose Fotu, is Dave implying that it was Fotu?

Also, "One altered document usually isn't enough to crumble a program. But what it is indicative of, the culture and the way of doing business it represents? That -- and at least one dropping of a dime by a rival program -- factored into the NCAA taking a closer look." I don't recall reading or hearing anything about a rival program "dropping of a dime"? Is that supposed to mean that some other school snitched on us? And if so, what school?

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Dave Reardon's column 10/29/14

Post by 808Hawaii »

808 wrote:http://www.staradvertiser.com/sportspre ... =280751592

Can anyone answer these questions?

I guess I must have missed it -- who was the player that is alleged to have received an ipad? As far as I can recall, no names were mentioned in any news reports. By saying here that we could lose Fotu, is Dave implying that it was Fotu?

Also, "One altered document usually isn't enough to crumble a program. But what it is indicative of, the culture and the way of doing business it represents? That -- and at least one dropping of a dime by a rival program -- factored into the NCAA taking a closer look." I don't recall reading or hearing anything about a rival program "dropping of a dime"? Is that supposed to mean that some other school snitched on us? And if so, what school?
It was Fotu. We can lose him.

Apparently, during the course of the investivation we were not entirely forthcoming and tried to cover up some facts. The facts came out and the NCAA would hit us hard. The NCAA is that way with small guys like us. Sounds like firing Gib and Brandon is our way of self-sanctioning and we're hoping that the NCAA will take that into consideration when they hand down sanctions.
I am the one who knocks.

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

808 wrote:Also, "One altered document usually isn't enough to crumble a program. But what it is indicative of, the culture and the way of doing business it represents? That -- and at least one dropping of a dime by a rival program -- factored into the NCAA taking a closer look." I don't recall reading or hearing anything about a rival program "dropping of a dime"? Is that supposed to mean that some other school snitched on us? And if so, what school?
Yes. I don't know if this was it, but I thought I heard it was someone at Missouri who knew Jankovic shouldn't have been eligible and called Ben Jay to investigate. Not sure if they also alerted the NCAA.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

managerr wrote:
808 wrote:Also, "One altered document usually isn't enough to crumble a program. But what it is indicative of, the culture and the way of doing business it represents? That -- and at least one dropping of a dime by a rival program -- factored into the NCAA taking a closer look." I don't recall reading or hearing anything about a rival program "dropping of a dime"? Is that supposed to mean that some other school snitched on us? And if so, what school?
Yes. I don't know if this was it, but I thought I heard it was someone at Missouri who knew Jankovic shouldn't have been eligible and called Ben Jay to investigate. Not sure if they also alerted the NCAA.
This rings a bell. It was a school outside of the Big West that was after the same recruit we landed. Might have been Missouri.
I am the one who knocks.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

from what i know (nothing official, but its good) is that Fotu is getting suspended for some number of games.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

So Fotu gets suspended for the Ipad. But the P5 schools will be able to offer stipends. Something is just not right there.
I am the one who knocks.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

808 wrote: Also, "One altered document usually isn't enough to crumble a program. But what it is indicative of, the culture and the way of doing business it represents? That -- and at least one dropping of a dime by a rival program -- factored into the NCAA taking a closer look." I don't recall reading or hearing anything about a rival program "dropping of a dime"? Is that supposed to mean that some other school snitched on us? And if so, what school?
This is just my guess: San Jose State may have complained about Keith Shamburger transferring here?

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

The only player with no options is senior guard Garrett Nevels. All underclassmen have the option of sitting out this season and transferring to another school. I wouldn't be surprised if Fotu turns pro or goes back to play on the New Zealand national team.

We probably will see additional NCAA sanctions - loss of scholarships. Recruiting will suffer. We are in for many single-digit-win seasons ahead. There are very dark times ahead for the UHAD. I wonder if all programs will survive. I have my doubts.
I am the one who knocks.

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

808Hawaii wrote:So Fotu gets suspended for the Ipad. But the P5 schools will be able to offer stipends. Something is just not right there.
We likely (eventually) will too.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

managerr wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:So Fotu gets suspended for the Ipad. But the P5 schools will be able to offer stipends. Something is just not right there.
We likely (eventually) will too.
We don't have money. We will not be able to afford to offer stipends to recruits. That's part of the reason why we will not be able to compete with the P5 schools. We can only afford to compete against other poor schools - teams in our conference.
I am the one who knocks.

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

[quote="808Hawaii]

We don't have money. We will not be able to afford to offer stipends to recruits. That's part of the reason why we will not be able to compete with the P5 schools. We can only afford to compete against other poor schools - teams in our conference.[/quote]

The total cost of stipends will end up being about $500,000 for football/basketball. It sucks, but they can afford it, they'll have to. The Big West and Mountain West are likely adopt stipends like P5.

Basically football and basketball have to keep up. The money will come at the expense of something else, but we will match.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

managerr wrote:[quote="808Hawaii]

We don't have money. We will not be able to afford to offer stipends to recruits. That's part of the reason why we will not be able to compete with the P5 schools. We can only afford to compete against other poor schools - teams in our conference.
The total cost of stipends will end up being about $500,000 for football/basketball. It sucks, but they can afford it, they'll have to. The Big West and Mountain West are likely adopt stipends like P5.

Basically football and basketball have to keep up. The money will come at the expense of something else, but we will match.[/quote][/quote]

I don't think we'll try to keep up with the P5. Simply put, we can't afford to. And neither can most of the non-P5s. Most of the P5s are operating in the red but have to try to keep up. There's going to be a bigger gap between the HAVEs and HAVE NOTs.

I believe the stipend cap will start off at $5,000. Yeha, right. Like the cap is $0 now but I'm not blind to believe no athlete in college is receiving money, services, property, etc. It will just be a matter of time before the P5 either increases the limit or removes it entirely.
I am the one who knocks.

FatJeff
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by FatJeff »

The whole college athletes getting a stipend thing may set off an unintended problem. Forever taxing authorities have not taxed scholarships. When you begin to PAY student athletes, that will no doubt be ruled taxable. The next logical step is to tax the value of the scholarship (tuition, dorm, books, meal plan, etc). Considering these "benefits" could easily exceed $30K a year, that stipend won't go very far.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

FatJeff wrote:The whole college athletes getting a stipend thing may set off an unintended problem. Forever taxing authorities have not taxed scholarships. When you begin to PAY student athletes, that will no doubt be ruled taxable. The next logical step is to tax the value of the scholarship (tuition, dorm, books, meal plan, etc). Considering these "benefits" could easily exceed $30K a year, that stipend won't go very far.
Not a problem for tthe big schools. The Alabama's will be able to offer more than enough to pay for taxes.
I am the one who knocks.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

athlete's already get stipends. they're just raising the limit.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.