‏   Women's Basketball Picked Second in Big West; Kuehu Vot

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
BigWave96744

Women's Basketball Announces 2014-15 Schedule

Post by BigWave96744 »

Women's Basketball Announces 2014-15 Schedule
8/1/2014 10:59:00 AM

2014-15 Women's Basketball Schedule: PDF | HTML

HONOLULU—University of Hawai'i women's basketball head coach Laura Beeman has announced the 2014-15 schedule with 29 games against 21 teams from nine different conferences. The Rainbow Wahine will play 17 home games and the schedule features nine opponents that advanced to post-season play last year. Five teams—California, CSUN, North Carolina, Prairie View A&M and Stanford—all advanced to the 2014 NCAA tournament, while Colorado State, Pacific, CSU Bakersfield and Cal Poly all battled in the WNIT.

The Rainbow Wahine will start their season with a Green vs. White scrimmage on Oct. 10 before an exhibition tilt against UH-Hilo on Oct. 29 at home. The 'Bows will start for the third straight season on the road with a pair of games at Colorado State (Nov. 14) and Denver (Nov. 16).

Hawai'i then returns to the Stan Sheriff Center to face California and UNLV in the 35th annual Bank of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine Classic (Nov. 21, 23). Prairie View A&M, Stanford and North Carolina will all be playing in the Waikiki Beach Marriott Rainbow Wahine Shootout (Nov. 28-30). The Cardinal and Tar Heels will face off in a rematch of last year's Elite Eight match up during March Madness to open the tourney on Nov. 28.

Hawai'i will remain at home for their first two games in December against Pacific (Dec. 6) and BYU-Hawai'i (Dec. 13) before hitting the road to end the calendar year at Loyola Marymount (Dec. 20) and CSU Bakersfield (Dec. 23). The Rainbow Wahine will wrap up their non-conference games in January with a game against UNC-Greensboro (Jan. 2).

The Rainbow Wahine will then enter their third season in the Big West with a 16-game league schedule. Hawai'i will begin the conference season with a bang on the road against last year's top two teams--runner up Cal Poly (Jan. 8) and defending BWC champions, CSUN (Jan. 10). In the middle of the Big West slate, UH will enjoy a four-game homestand from Jan. 29-Feb. 7 when they will face Long Beach State, CSUN, UC Santa Barbara, and Cal Poly during that time span. Hawai'i will end the regular season with a game at UC Santa Barbara on March 5 before returning home for Senior Night on Saturday, March 7 against Cal State Fullerton.

Beeman leads a veteran Hawai'i team which returns eight returnees led by all-Big West guard/forward Shawna-Lei Kuehu and BWC Sixth Woman of the Year Ashleigh Karaitiana. The squad also welcomes eight new players to the squad which has appeared in two straight WNIT's. Last year's team posted a 17-14 overall record and a 10-6 mark in the Big West for third place.

"I am excited about the 2014-15 schedule. It is a schedule balanced with competitive parity," says Beeman. "We will see the likes of Stanford, Cal and UNC during our preseason, making our tournaments once again one of the most competitive in the country. Our preseason will prepare us for a very competitive Big West Conference lineup. It is our goal every year to win the Big West Conference and we feel this schedule helps prepare us in this undertaking."

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Re: Women's Basketball Announces 2014-15 Schedule

Post by xer 21 »

another brutal OOC slate for them.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

BigWave96744

‏   Women's Basketball Picked Second in Big West; Kuehu Vot

Post by BigWave96744 »

Women's Basketball Picked Second in Big West; Kuehu Voted to Pre-Season All-BWC Team
10/22/14 

IRVINE, Calif.—The University of Hawai`i women's basketball team was picked to finished second in this year's Big West preseason poll while Shawna-Lei Kuehu was voted to the BWC Media Pre-Season All-Conference team.

The Rainbow Wahine, who were also picked second in last season's preseason poll, has finished in third place the last two seasons. Leading the Hawai`i charge is sixth-year senior, Kuehu, who was a second team All-Big West pick a year ago. The guard/forward averaged 10.1 points, 4.2 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game, while appearing in all 31 contests for UH. Fellow senior, Ashleigh Karaitiana also returns this season after earning "Sixth Player of the Year" conference honors as a junior. Karaitiana was second on the team averaging 10.4 points per game while leading the 'Bows with 39 3-pointers made. Junior Destiny King looks to build on a breakout sophomore campaign after averaging 8.6 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.2 assists. King was a key contributor during conference play, upping her stats to 9.4 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.5 assists in 30.1 minutes.

After sweeping last season's regular season and tournament titles, CSUN was the media favorite to repeat in 2014-15. The Matadors gained 13 first place votes and 125 points overall for the first place nod. Hawai'i checked in behind the defending champions with 101 points and the remaining first place vote. Back-to-back Tournament finalist Cal Poly was third with 99 points, while UC Davis wrapped up the top half of the poll with 83 points for fourth place.

The media panel also selected a six-player preseason all-conference team comprised of five seniors and one junior. Elegado, Guay, Fipps and Kuehu lead the senior contingent, joined by CSUN's Janae Sharpe. The lone non-senior of the group is last season's scoring champion, UC Riverside's Brittany Crain.

MEDIA POLL RESULTS
1.    CSUN (13)              125
2.    Hawai`i (1)               101
3.    Cal Poly                     99
4.    UC Davis                   83
5.    Long Beach State      73
6.    Cal State Fullerton     53
7.    UC Irvine                    41
8.    UC Riverside              29
9.    UC Santa Barbara      26
( ) First Place votes

MEDIA PRESESON ALL-CONFERENCE TEAM
NAME SCHOOL POS YEAR HOMETOWN/LAST SCHOOL
Ariana Elegado Cal Poly G Senior San Diego, Calif./La Jolla Country Day HS
Ashlee Guay CSUN G Senior San Diego, Calif./Academy of Our Lady Peace
Janae Sharpe CSUN G Senior Rialto, Calif./Rialto HS
Sydnee Fipps UC Davis F Senior Mariposa, Calif./Yosemite HS
Brittany Crain UC Riverside G Junior Moreno Valley, Calif./John W. North HS
Shawna-Lei Kuehu Hawai`i  G/F Senior `Aiea, O`ahu/Punahou School

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: ‏   Women's Basketball Picked Second in Big West; Kuehu

Post by chawan_cut »

Kuehu and Karaitiana are worth the price of the (cheap) admission. We'll see how these new bigs we got try to replace Kamilah.
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

This is the the year the Wahine' win the BWC.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

seasider wrote:This is the the year the Wahine' win the BWC.
I have a good feeling about that. We got some bigs. Something we really didn't have last year. We had to post Kuehu low but now she will be able to move around more. Team looks to be stronger with more depth. They big but you know Beeman will have them running.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Huge win for the wahine. Colorado State was pre-season pick to win their conference.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Another win for the Wahine on the road beating Denver and are now 2-0. Good start for the men and women.