2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Naz wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:42 pm Now I've heard it all! I'm watching the Moanalua-Iolani game and the announcer said that Wichita State offered Moanalua's point guard, G. Robinson.... WICHITA STATE. I went to verbalcommits. Nothing. Kid isn't even listed. I don't get why parents have to lie for their kids nowadays about fake offers. Why would a major school like WICHITA STATE be looking for an undersized pg who shoots barely 55% free throws, turns the ball over more than he has assists, and is not even the best guard in the state? I call 100% bullcrap. We all know who started that rumor.
@Naz: So, you think the offers to the Ng kid from St Francis, and to Robinson from Moanalua, are BS. Isn't there a way to confirm, before announcers or the media make claims? Seems ridiculous.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

He tweeted it himself soooo... but i don't think there's any real way to know for sure how legit these are. Only the college coaches themselves know and of course, they can always retract their offers too.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:31 pm He tweeted it himself soooo... but i don't think there's any real way to know for sure how legit these are. Only the college coaches themselves know and of course, they can always retract their offers too.
@Neighbor: I think Naz has really established himself as the expert on this thread. He follows Hawaii high school basketball closely, and also seems to know the game of basketball really well. So, when he calls BS, he may very well be right. Just judging from his posts, I think he should coach high school basketball, boys or girls. I mean, he even sounds like a coach. He runs rings around me, that's for sure. Almost guaranteed he played basketball in high school. The dude just seems to know his stuff.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

Neighbor wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:31 pm He tweeted it himself soooo... but i don't think there's any real way to know for sure how legit these are. Only the college coaches themselves know and of course, they can always retract their offers too.
The only proof of any of these offers are the kids telling us themselves. The premiere website for current D1 and D2 offers in college basketball is verbalcommits.com and the site doesn't even have either kid listed in their database. It lists all the kids Wichita State is offering, even Robinson's year and his name is not listed. I refuse to believe a kid who couldn't lead his team to a 3rd place finish in the ILH (and to states) and a kid who scored 11 points in a loss in the state quarterfinals are being sought after by D1s. Both under 6 feet at that.

Derrick Low wasn't even getting offers his sophomore year and he already had a state title and state POY award to his name. By his senior year, he had done both two more times. Neither kid achieved a quarter of that and they got big-time D1 offers?!? I'm not buying it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:44 pm
The only proof of any of these offers are the kids telling us themselves. The premiere website for current D1 and D2 offers in college basketball is verbalcommits.com and the site doesn't even have either kid listed in their database. It lists all the kids Wichita State is offering, even Robinson's year and his name is not listed. I refuse to believe a kid who couldn't lead his team to a 3rd place finish in the ILH (and to states) and a kid who scored 11 points in a loss in the state quarterfinals are being sought after by D1s. Both under 6 feet at that.

Derrick Low wasn't even getting offers his sophomore year and he already had a state title and state POY award to his name. By his senior year, he had done both two more times. Neither kid achieved a quarter of that and they got big-time D1 offers?!? I'm not buying it.
@Naz: Like I said, if you say it, I'm inclined to buy it. Also, I'm glad Low graduated, and is gone. I mean, gone from Iolani School.

@gopunahou: Well, here we are. Your alma mater plays Iolani School tonight. Winner goes on to play for the D1 state title. Normally, I would support Iolani School against Punahou School. But, this time, I'd hate to see the Raiders have a chance to win the boys' title, when they've also won the girls' D1 title. If this were any other school, I'd support them against the Puns. But, I don't want Iolani School to sweep D1 state basketball. No. Dare I say it? Go Puns. I never, ever thought the day would come when I'd say that. In fact, part of me still can't believe I said that.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I hope tonight's game didn't take a toll on us tonight. Maryknoll coasted.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Getting drilled tonight. It sucks doodoo that our bad luck in FB championship games has transitioned to BB ones. We need a comeback for the ages.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:32 pm Getting drilled tonight. It sucks doodoo that our bad luck in FB championship games has transitioned to BB ones. We need a comeback for the ages.
@gopunahou: Well, it wasn't to be. But, do you follow softball and baseball? Those two sports are coming-up real fast.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:29 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:32 pm Getting drilled tonight. It sucks doodoo that our bad luck in FB championship games has transitioned to BB ones. We need a comeback for the ages.
@gopunahou: Well, it wasn't to be. But, do you follow softball and baseball? Those two sports are coming-up real fast.
Our softball team did go to the state tournament last year, but I don’t know if we lack experience or are a veteran team this year. But in baseball, we should be one of the favorites considering we return a lot of key players. Beating Baldwin is another matter, though.

With boys volleyball, the shock will be if we don’t win.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:11 pm
Our softball team did go to the state tournament last year, but I don’t know if we lack experience or are a veteran team this year. But in baseball, we should be one of the favorites considering we return a lot of key players. Beating Baldwin is another matter, though.

@gopunahou: Yeah, when it comes to boys' volleyball, you can just about hand the trophy to Punahou School before the season has even begun. Regarding softball, I think the Puns' ace returns; I think she was a junior last year. Regarding baseball, well, how many returnees does Baldwin High have? Technically, in baseball, size doesn't matter. The school that often proves that, is Mid-Pac Institute. They're usually quite small, but they usually do quite well. The Bears, last year, were big. We know that it helps when the pitcher and first baseman are big, but the Bears were big almost all around. Their size was intimidating. Of course, that usually means they also have/had power in their batting lineup. But anyway, the Bears are in the MIL. For the time being, the Puns have to worry only about the ILH. We'll see how things shake-out this year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:11 pm

@gopunahou: Umm, I just found out that Iolani School murdered your alma mater, 20-8, in the Kitamura pre-season baseball tourney this past weekend. That's not a typo; the Puns lost 20-8 in 5 innings (mercy rule). Pal Eldredge must be pissed. That's the last school Punahou School wants to lose to in any sport, especially by that margin.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:28 pm @gopunahou: Umm, I just found out that Iolani School murdered your alma mater, 20-8, in the Kitamura pre-season baseball tourney this past weekend. That's not a typo; the Puns lost 20-8 in 5 innings (mercy rule). Pal Eldredge must be pissed. That's the last school Punahou School wants to lose to in any sport, especially by that margin.
That's unfortunate and frustrating. I don't think that Duke and Kaulana played because of basketball.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:13 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:28 pm @gopunahou: Umm, I just found out that Iolani School murdered your alma mater, 20-8, in the Kitamura pre-season baseball tourney this past weekend. That's not a typo; the Puns lost 20-8 in 5 innings (mercy rule). Pal Eldredge must be pissed. That's the last school Punahou School wants to lose to in any sport, especially by that margin.
That's unfortunate and frustrating. I don't think that Duke and Kaulana played because of basketball.
@gopunahou: It gets worse. Punahou School's softball team was ranked #1 in the state by the Star-Advertiser, but they lost to Maryknoll School yesterday, 8-7, in 10 innings. (I assume you know that high school softball goes only 7 innings in regulation.) Scoringlive has Leilehua High ranked #1, with the Puns #2.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:12 am
gopunahou wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:13 pm
@gopunahou: It gets worse. Punahou School's softball team was ranked #1 in the state by the Star-Advertiser, but they lost to Maryknoll School yesterday, 8-7, in 10 innings. (I assume you know that high school softball goes only 7 innings in regulation.) Scoringlive has Leilehua High ranked #1, with the Puns #2.
@gopunahou: This might piss you off. Today, Punahou School's softball team played Mid-Pac Institute. The Puns were up 10-0 in the 5th, but the Owls stormed back to win, 15-12. That is nuts. That means the Owls scored 15 runs over the last 3 innings of the game (they were the home team). One of the Owls' girls hit a walk-off grand slam. So, the Puns were ahead 12-11 in the bottom of the last inning, and might have won by that score, if not for that grand slam. Doo-doo happens. The Puns are now 0-2, which means they will likely lose their #1 ranking in the Star-Advertiser.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:33 pm @gopunahou: This might piss you off. Today, Punahou School's softball team played Mid-Pac Institute. The Puns were up 10-0 in the 5th, but the Owls stormed back to win, 15-12. That is nuts. That means the Owls scored 15 runs over the last 3 innings of the game (they were the home team). One of the Owls' girls hit a walk-off grand slam. So, the Puns were ahead 12-11 in the bottom of the last inning, and might have won by that score, if not for that grand slam. Doo-doo happens. The Puns are now 0-2, which means they will likely lose their #1 ranking in the Star-Advertiser.
I know this is a BB thread, but we can't let that kind of loss destroy our confidence. Because that's what those types of losses do. This team does not need a #1 ranking. It needs a confidence booster ASAP.