2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2018-2019 Boy's Basketball Thread

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Naz wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:17 pm
gopunahou wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:53 pm I think our biggest challengers are Iolani and Kalaheo, both of whom played each other today. Don't know if I can handle a world where Iolani BB and St. Louis FB are constantly winning state championships at the same time. Just kidding.
I feel this will be another year of ILH domination. I thought Moanalua would be a threat but they don't seem like they have what it takes to overpower ILH talent. I'd say the same for Kalaheo. I don't feel the OIA will produce any team that will be a threat to the state championship being taken from the ILH. In terms of who is a threat to Punahou, I have to think that Maryknoll is on that list possibly before 'Iolani and definitely Kalaheo. Hard to tell because Maryknoll has not been challenged in pre-season yet. Heck, Kapolei hasn't even convinced me so far that they are the favorites in the West region. Regardless, it kind of puts a gloom on the prep hoops scene that the defending D1 & D2 state champs and the defending OIA champ let the D2 runner up beat them. In some cases by double digits. Just hand Damien the D2 trophy now already. The only thing I really have on my radar from now until season play is the 'Iolani Classic.
@Naz: Yeah, I too am disappointed by the performance of certain schools. I find that it's such a bummer when schools that you like, lose games that you thought they'd win. I don't know about you, but for me, that's such a downer. Kinda makes everything suck.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:27 pm
@Naz: Yeah, I too am disappointed by the performance of certain schools. I find that it's such a bummer when schools that you like, lose games that you thought they'd win. I don't know about you, but for me, that's such a downer. Kinda makes everything suck.
There were 3 scores that surprised me yesterday: (1) Moanalua smashing Kamehameha by 23 (2) Kapolei beating SFS by 1 (3) Kalaheo losing to Punahou by only 2. Of note, Kalaheo had to shoot 40% from 3-pt land (13 made). I don't know whether to give Kalaheo brownie points for this close win or chuck it up to a hot shooting night. I would have to believe any team has a chance of beating any other island team on 40% shooting from 3-pt range connecting on 10+ 3-pt field goals.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:00 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:27 pm
There were 3 scores that surprised me yesterday: (1) Moanalua smashing Kamehameha by 23 (2) Kapolei beating SFS by 1 (3) Kalaheo losing to Punahou by only 2. Of note, Kalaheo had to shoot 40% from 3-pt land (13 made). I don't know whether to give Kalaheo brownie points for this close win or chuck it up to a hot shooting night. I would have to believe any team has a chance of beating any other island team on 40% shooting from 3-pt range connecting on 10+ 3-pt field goals.
@Naz:
1. Kamehameha totally sucked against Moanalua. They were actually up on Moanalua at the half, but the third qrtr they totally sucked. How bad did they suck? They scored zero points that frame, while Moanalua scored 20. Kamehameha simply stank-out the gym in the second half. The final score says it all. Kamehameha Schools should be disgusted.

2. St Francis must have lost a lot of players to graduation. I agree that Kapolei should not have been able to beat them.

3. I would have loved to see Kalaheo upset Punahou. So close, and yet, so far. Any school that loses to Punahou by only 2, should get brownie points. So, it looks like Kalaheo is a hot perimeter-shooting team. Well, at least they were hot that night.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Our game against Kalaheo was much closer. I think that they are improving and will be the best of the OIA.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:35 am Our game against Kalaheo was much closer. I think that they are improving and will be the best of the OIA.
@gopunahou: If they lost to your alma mater by only 2, then yes, they're probably the best OIA school, especially if they're hot with the treys. If a school wants any chance at D1 States, it has to shoot treys. That's the harsh reality of D1 basketball this year.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:08 pm @gopunahou: If they lost to your alma mater by only 2, then yes, they're probably the best OIA school, especially if they're hot with the treys. If a school wants any chance at D1 States, it has to shoot treys. That's the harsh reality of D1 basketball this year.
Damien beat Punahou with only two 3-pt field goals made to Punahou's 5 made 3-pt field goals.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:03 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:08 pm @gopunahou: If they lost to your alma mater by only 2, then yes, they're probably the best OIA school, especially if they're hot with the treys. If a school wants any chance at D1 States, it has to shoot treys. That's the harsh reality of D1 basketball this year.
Damien beat Punahou with only two 3-pt field goals made to Punahou's 5 made 3-pt field goals.
@Naz: Well, for one thing, Damien (almost certainly) will make States, but they'll be in the D2 tourney. I guess D2 basketball will be a little different in terms of the necessity of making treys.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:54 pm
@Naz: Well, for one thing, Damien (almost certainly) will make States, but they'll be in the D2 tourney. I guess D2 basketball will be a little different in terms of the necessity of making treys.
But they did prove to the state that Punahou can be beaten without having to shoot ridiculously from 3-pt range. Winning the D2, especially with a team that should be in D1, is like winning the NIT to me.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:42 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:54 pm
But they did prove to the state that Punahou can be beaten without having to shoot ridiculously from 3-pt range. Winning the D2, especially with a team that should be in D1, is like winning the NIT to me.
@Naz: Well, usually a tall team doesn't need to pop treys like crazy to win. Is Damien tall? I don't know. And, yeah, Damien certainly does belong in D1. But, what can be done about it now? Damien can't suddenly join D1 even if they wanted to.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

News flash: Tonight, Damien beat Kailua by only 5. Damien might not be the best team, after all. And, can someone explain to me how Lahainaluna beat Kalaheo tonight, as well?

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:26 pm News flash: Tonight, Damien beat Kailua by only 5. Damien might not be the best team, after all. And, can someone explain to me how Lahainaluna beat Kalaheo tonight, as well?
I don't think Damien will leave this tournament with their unbeaten record in tact if for any other reason than that they have to play Punahou again. I don't see them beating Punahou twice in pre-season especially with a key returner back in the line-up for them.

I am absolutely not sold on Kalaheo at all as the best team in the OIA. They lost to a Lahainaluna team that came in this game at 1-2 and who Kalaheo already beat. I really would have liked to have seen how Lahainaluna played this game. They kept Kalaheo to their lowest point output this pre-season (41) and are now the only non-ILH team to give them a loss. It's hard to get excited about any OIA team this year being that so many of the top teams from both leagues have played each other already in the pre-season with the ILH absolutely dominating the series. I'll let you know now I am gonna be sick if we get another Iolani-Punahou state finals.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Naz wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:15 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:26 pm News flash: Tonight, Damien beat Kailua by only 5. Damien might not be the best team, after all. And, can someone explain to me how Lahainaluna beat Kalaheo tonight, as well?
I don't think Damien will leave this tournament with their unbeaten record in tact if for any other reason than that they have to play Punahou again. I don't see them beating Punahou twice in pre-season especially with a key returner back in the line-up for them.

I am absolutely not sold on Kalaheo at all as the best team in the OIA. They lost to a Lahainaluna team that came in this game at 1-2 and who Kalaheo already beat. I really would have liked to have seen how Lahainaluna played this game. They kept Kalaheo to their lowest point output this pre-season (41) and are now the only non-ILH team to give them a loss. It's hard to get excited about any OIA team this year being that so many of the top teams from both leagues have played each other already in the pre-season with the ILH absolutely dominating the series. I'll let you know now I am gonna be sick if we get another Iolani-Punahou state finals.
If we do play Iolani, I'd love to see us come out on top. We've never beaten them in a state final.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: You know I don't care for your alma mater, so I hate to say this, but the Star-Advertiser has ranked your alma mater #1, and Damien #3. I guess it's because that starter was out against Damien. I guess beating the #1 school doesn't always mean something. Another example is that, on the girls' side, Kamehameha beat #1 Iolani, yet is ranked #2 behind them. I'm trying to figure-out how that happened, because Kamehameha had 6 first-place votes, while Iolani had only 3.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:12 pm

If we do play Iolani, I'd love to see us come out on top. We've never beaten them in a state final.
@gopunahou: Well, the Star-Advertiser has Iolani ranked #2, so the State D1 title game might very well feature your alma mater and them.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou 77, Damien 58 F

Hopefully we can build on this.