Kamehameha forfeits to Hilo

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
kauwildman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Kamehameha forfeits to Hilo

Post by kauwildman »

In what shapes up as bad precedent Kamehameha(Big Island) forfeits to Hilo to give itself an extra week of practice to prepare for it's game vs Konawaena. Besides being a bit chickenshit, what will happen if teams just pick and choose which games to forfeit? Why not just forfeit every time you think you might lose? Should Konawaena forfeit to Kealakehe to balance the situation? Joke.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Kamehameha forfeits to Hilo

Post by unpaid »

I just read the Hawaii Tribune Herald story by Matt Gerhart. I only know what has been reported.

With that said,I think that Kamehameha-Hawaii ducking a scheduled game is not honorable. Konawaena's HC suggesting he might try to get out of his team's game is also less than doing the right thing. Both schools are not shining in my eyes.

Kamehameha-Hawaii and Konawaena don't want to take the field against opponents in a sanctioned game .... Then maybe the BIIF should say Konawaena and Kamehameha- Hawaii play this weekend (and there aren't any numbers issues and the weather is looking OK)or forget about being in the competition for the BIIF D-II slot.
Hawaii Prep and Honokaa haven't ducked any games,so let them play a game to determine the BIIF rep at states D-II,and let Kamehameha-Hawaii and Konawaena sit out the rest of the year from here on out to think about what commitment means. It means you play every team on your schedule.

kauwildman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kauwildman »

Well said. I am appalled at the direction this is going.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

kauwildman wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:32 am In what shapes up as bad precedent Kamehameha(Big Island) forfeits to Hilo to give itself an extra week of practice to prepare for it's game vs Konawaena. Besides being a bit chickenshit, what will happen if teams just pick and choose which games to forfeit? Why not just forfeit every time you think you might lose? Should Konawaena forfeit to Kealakehe to balance the situation? Joke.
Does this forfeit loss not hurt their standings? I don’t follow BIF so I’m confused by this

Hilostyle
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hilostyle »

Here’s what I know. Both games are rescheduled from previous dates. Here’s the difference: Kam/Hilo was called off between teams due to lack of practice. Kona/Kealakehe was CANCELLED DUE TO HURRICANE. Kam and Hilo went on to scrimmage the day of their scheduled game. Hilo apparently still wanted to play the makeup game, and Kam didn’t. Kona and Kealakehe game means nothing. From a competitive standpoint, having the same amount of time as their opponents to prepare for a championship is more ideal than risking a rivalry game with no bearing. On that note, St Louis and Mililani should make up their game prior to playoffs since their game was cancelled by the same hurricane.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

It sucks that they're robbing the kids of one game, but I understand. It's Division 2 after all where depth is limited even the D1 teams on the Big Island too. But at least these are re-scheduled games cuz initially i was thinking this was a royal mess-up by the BIIF for making the schedule like that

kauwildman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kauwildman »

Uh oh. Big backfire possible for Kamehameha as BIIF bylaws rule that the forfeit will cost them home field advantage IF Konawaena beats Kealakehe.

kauwildman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kauwildman »

Konawaena beats Kealakehe 16-3 and gets homefield advantage. Kamehameha gets a bit of justice.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

kauwildman wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:55 am Uh oh. Big backfire possible for Kamehameha as BIIF bylaws rule that the forfeit will cost them home field advantage IF Konawaena beats Kealakehe.
@kauwildman: I think home-field advantage is overplayed, pardon the expression. In the end, the fields have the same dimensions, and the same rules apply, no matter where the game is played. Mind over matter.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

True, but it's a long drive from Kamehameha to Konawaena and I think Kona has grass whereas Kam's is turf. It's little things that could make you feel uncomfortable if you let it, but yeah I think they'll be fine.

kauwildman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kauwildman »

I'm certain Konawaena is very happy to play at home and that the Warriors are a little embarrassed. The better team should still win.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

kauwildman wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:09 pm I'm certain Konawaena is very happy to play at home and that the Warriors are a little embarrassed. The better team should still win.
@kauwildman: Yes, and I think that's how it should be. That way, it doesn't matter where the game is played. It would kind of suck, it would seem kind of unfair, if a team won a game just because it happened to be at its home field. It should be about the team, not the venue.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:16 pm
kauwildman wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:55 am Uh oh. Big backfire possible for Kamehameha as BIIF bylaws rule that the forfeit will cost them home field advantage IF Konawaena beats Kealakehe.
@kauwildman: I think home-field advantage is overplayed, pardon the expression. In the end, the fields have the same dimensions, and the same rules apply, no matter where the game is played. Mind over matter.
First off the game is a re-scheduled season game that was initially postponed due to weather but within a 12 hour period was put back on and could have been played but it was to be played on a Thursday. Both teams said they didn't have time to practice yet they held a scrimmage, a pretty intense scrimmage at that. All other teams played that week and played the whole season with injuries and kids on AP. As a life long football fan, I find Kamehameha Hawaii's decision to avoid Hilo unacceptable. Other smaller less talented BIIF teams played back to back weeks against Hilo, Kona, KSH, and Kealakehe and had good kids injured. Maybe Keaau should have forfeited a game against Hilo to heal up and be at full strength against key games like Kealakehe or Waiakea. Just bad precedent. As for home field advantage...Konawaena is located on the other side of the Island, a almost two hour bus ride one way. It does have its advantages.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

Hahaha. You guys are crazy if you think home field doesn’t have meaning! In a championship game? Ask Waipahu, 10-0 Waipahu, a team that “should have been seeded in last years state bracket- if playing at Konawaena had its disadvantages. Of course it did. Same goes for teams like Kahuku that play in the stadium because of crowd capacity concerns, they would much rather play in their backyard. Especially on the big island where travel is not a short bus ride on the freeway, home field has huge advantages.