unpaid D-II football.

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: unpaid D-II football.

Post by unpaid »

Week Twelve,

1.Lahainaluna 8-0
2.Kaimuki 8-2 No.3 Roosevelt next for OIA championship.
3.Roosevelt 9-2
4.Kapaa 5-2 Beat Kauai
5.Kamehameha-Maui 5-3
6.Kauai 6-2
7.Konawaena 5-4
8.Kamehameha-Hawaii 5-2
9.Pearl City 7-5 Season over.
10.Kaiser 4-4-1 Season over.

The big news is that St.Francis had to forfeit all their games due to playing what amounted to a fifth year senior.The Saints cannot move on to the state tournament.Pac-5 now will represent the ILH at states.They are out of the rankings.

Then there was a little brouhaha over on the Big Island when Kamehameha-Hawaii canceled this weekend's game so they could have two weeks to prepare for the upcoming D-II BIIF title contest with Konawaena.Kona went ahead and played their game against Kealakehe even though they would probably liked to have had two weeks to prepare for Kamehameha. Kona won the game and Kamehameha-Hawaii had to give up home field advantage to Konawaena for the playoff due to BIIF bylaws.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Star Advertiser just came out with an article saying Saints are going to appeal. What a longshot. They saying the ineligible player only played in five games so they want their record to be 3-5 while Pack Fives is 4-4. Now they want to try to squeeze in cancelled games against Kaiser and Pacfive against Kaimuki to try make it even and then force another playoff game. Don't see that happening unless there's some money handed over under the table

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Neighbor wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:38 pm Star Advertiser just came out with an article saying Saints are going to appeal. What a longshot. They saying the ineligible player only played in five games so they want their record to be 3-5 while Pack Fives is 4-4. Now they want to try to squeeze in cancelled games against Kaiser and Pacfive against Kaimuki to try make it even and then force another playoff game. Don't see that happening unless there's some money handed over under the table
I saw that, I thought it was silly. This whole mess is 100% St Francis fault and no one should have to change anything or play more games because they messed up. They failed their kids big time

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Neighbor wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:38 pm Star Advertiser just came out with an article saying Saints are going to appeal. What a longshot. They saying the ineligible player only played in five games so they want their record to be 3-5 while Pack Fives is 4-4. Now they want to try to squeeze in cancelled games against Kaiser and Pacfive against Kaimuki to try make it even and then force another playoff game. Don't see that happening unless there's some money handed over under the table
@Neighbor: I should say. What incentive do Kaiser, Pac-Five, and Kaimuki have to accommodate St Francis? Those teams would say, "Hey, St Francis School, you guys screwed-up. Don't penalize us; don't force us to play additional games."
@genks: Agree with your post just above.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.2 Kaimuki and No.3 Roosevelt,

Both teams have offensive skill players.I like the way both teams teams have played this fall. That said ,I believe the Bulldogs have the edge over the Rough Riders in the trenches. Going with Kaimuki for the win here.

No.7 Konawaena and No.8 Kamehameha-Hawaii,

I am not making a pick here.I hope the players on both sides rise above what their elders have put in the media about their schools on the football field.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Thirteen,

1.Lahainaluna 9-0 Shutout King Kekaulike
2.Roosevelt 10-2 OIA champs. Move up one spot.
3.Kapaa 6-2 Beat Waimea. Move up one.
4.Kaimuki 8-3 Drop two spots with loss to Roosevelt. Bulldogs go to states as the OIA second team.
5.Kamehameha-Maui 6-3 Beat Maui
6.Kauai 6-2 DNP
7.Kamehameha-Hawaii 6-2 Beat Konawaena and move up one place.
8.Konawaena 5-5 Drop down one with the loss.
9.Pearl City 7-5
10.Kaiser 4-4-1

charlee808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by charlee808 »

Saw this in the comment section of a story on Star Advertiser re the Div2 state tournament. Interesting question...any thoughts?

Can someone explain how seeding works? I donʻt understand how a team who plays the same 2 teams 3 times during the regular season (for a total of 4 different teams) and finishes 6-2 gets seeded higher, and the first round bye, than a team who ended 10-2 and played 12 different teams? Is there a formula or pass precedence or a coin flip?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

charlee808 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:06 am Saw this in the comment section of a story on Star Advertiser re the Div2 state tournament. Interesting question...any thoughts?

Can someone explain how seeding works? I donʻt understand how a team who plays the same 2 teams 3 times during the regular season (for a total of 4 different teams) and finishes 6-2 gets seeded higher, and the first round bye, than a team who ended 10-2 and played 12 different teams? Is there a formula or pass precedence or a coin flip?
@charlee808: I think it's all about politics. The problem is that different leagues have different rules about which games "count." For example, when an ILH school plays an OIA school, the result counts against the ILH school's league record, but not against the OIA school's league record. Also, since some islands have fewer schools in D2 than others, schools in those divisions may have to play the same schools more often. Another hassle is that Oahu schools don't play neighbor-island schools during the regular season. So, how do you seed all the D2 schools from all the islands, who qualified for States? What are the bases of comparison? Is there a weighting formula of some kind? It's a mess. I would hate to be on the seeding committee. I don't know what kind of "calculus" they use.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week fourteen rank is the same as the week thirteen since no D-II teams played this week.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

charlee808 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:06 am Saw this in the comment section of a story on Star Advertiser re the Div2 state tournament. Interesting question...any thoughts?

I think the formula is simple...past success in state tournament is one topic. When was the last time a OIA team won or did well in the state tournament? The OIA has been notoriously weak while a team like Kapaa has been to the title game and competed well in recent years. Look at last season when Waipahu was 10-0...all the chatter about deserving a higher seed then boom, lose to Kona. Also, this year St Francis would’ve been un-seeded because they have a 2 team league, which does not consider them a league champion. I think most years, there are some head scratchers, but the seedlings are usually spot on.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Playoffs,

No.2 Roosevelt and unranked Pac-5,

Roosevelt has really progressed offensively to become a balanced team with a good defense.I think it has to be taken into account that Pac-5 has had to restart their team all over again because of St.Francis getting DQ'd.The Wolfpack are in a tough spot here. Rough Riders for the win.

No.4 Kaimuki and No.7 Kamehameha-Hawaii,

Looks like a speed vs strength matchup.Kaimuki has the size and two backs to pound the rock.Kaimuki can sling it in the air ,too. Bulldogs for the win.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Fifteen,

1.Lahainaluna 9-0 No.2 Roosevelt next in D-II semi's.
2.Roosevelt 11-2 Defeated Pac-5.
3.Kapaa 6-2 No.4 Kaimuki next in D-II semi's.
4.Kaimuki 9-3 Defeated Kamehameha-Hawaii.
5.Kamehameha-Maui 6-3
6.Kauai 6-2
7.Kamehameha-Hawaii 6-2 Season over.
8.Konawaena 5-5
9.Pearl City 7-5
10.Kaiser 4-4-1

I'm glad D-II kept a six team format.It seems like more of a test for the teams involved.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

If Lahainaluna wins D2 States for a third time in a roll, they should move up D1.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Markeke wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:23 pm If Lahainaluna wins D2 States for a third time in a roll, they should move up D1.
Gotta file a police report for what they did to Rosevelt. That score is crazy

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Sixteen,

1.Lahainaluna 10-0 defeated Roosevelt.
2.Kapaa7-2 Defeated Kaimuki.Lunas next in title game. Move up one spot.
3.Roosevelt 11-3 SO. Drop one spot.
4.Kaimuki 9-4 SO with the loss.
5.Kamehameha-Maui 6-3
6.Kauai 6-2
7.Kamehameha-Hawaii 6-2
8.Konawaena 5-5
9.Pearl City 7-5
10.Kaiser 4-4-1

Lahainaluna is looking tough to stop.I wonder if Kapaa can do better on offense than Roosevelt did.If you're scoring,then your're not punting to the Lunas so they can't run it back for scores. If you're reading the Lunas defense correctly, then you're not giving up all those picks in the passing game. Lunas fumbled a lot ,but Roosevelt didn't make them pay for it with a TD on the next drive. If Kapaa can do these things,it might be a contest next week.