unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:47 pm
anywaaaays!! wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:02 pm I give objective analysis: Punahou is a soft finesse team that plays in a soft league. I get flamed by people who want to just hate. It's all good, though. We were always enemies of the state. The entire playoff structure was designed for us to lose. We still push on. They created this merger to try to nail us, and what did we do? We pounded the first ILH team that came after us. We put the entire ILH on notice. They can't handle red raider football baby!

Although I can't take anybody seriously who thinks that Kamehameha should be ranked higher than punahou or that Saint Lulu should be ranked below Punahou and Kamehameha. That's crazy talk, even for this die hard Red Raiders fan. RRFL!
This inter league schedule benefits everyone. OIA teams aren’t even affected if they lose to an ILH team. Kahuku benefited greatly from that game against Punahou. They got quality work in against a good team, defense got to try a few different things against a strong passing team. Even if Kahuku did lose, they wouldn’t be “nailed”. It wouldn’t make a difference in their league.

Playoff structure also can’t be designed to work against Kahuku, seeing as how only 1 ILH team is allowed into states and last year Kahuku got the cakewalk against waianae and STL played Mililani.

It’s odd that you feel like Kahuku is the enemy of the state when every person in the state that’s not a Crusader fan will root for Kahuku to beat STL in the finals
@genks: If I'm not mistaken, you're a St Louis alumnus. If you are, I give you credit for being honest about how St Louis School is popular for the most part only amongst its alumni. It might be not because there's something inherently hateful about St Louis School; it might be just because it's a private school, and amongst the general public I sense that most guys tend to want to support a public school against a private school.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:11 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:23 pm
genks wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:23 pm Imagine, if a combo of STL, Punahou or Kam were the best 2 teams in the state, still only 1 would be allowed to play in the state tournament.

Not jumping to conclusions, not saying it’s true, just a thought.
@genks: This would be one time that jumping to conclusions might be justified. The way it looks now, St Louis will be ILH Open champ. The way they throw the ball, there's a good chance they'll beat Kahuku in the state Open title game. I want Kahuku to win, but I don't know that they can contain St Louis' pass game enough.
Can’t ever count Punahou out. I have lots of respect for them.

Same with Kahuku. One thing that makes the Kahuku vs St Louis match up exciting in the state finals is the fact that both teams can adjust and turn it on in the 2nd half. You can never go into halftime against either team and be confident that’s it’s in the bag. Gotta fight every quarter.
@genks: If you ask me, when Kahuku plays St Louis, Kahuku's defensive front-seven has to go after St Louis QB De Laura like heat-seeking missiles. They gotta take him down, or at least hurry him into bad decisions.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

If these two teams were to play again, it would definitely be close again. That blocked punt was a huge momentum swing and it seems that Kahuku always just feeds off of those big defensive/special teams plays and the defense turned it up a notch right after that score.

As for this schedule somehow being to nail Kahuku...what? How? It was hardly about the open teams and more about the lower levels. It's not fun seeing the Kaisers, Aieas, Castles have to get killed year after year by the Kahukus and Mililanis and whoever else is now in the open. But somehow it feels like Iolani still comes out as winners every year since they've done the three tournaments for states. I thought Iolani and Waiaphu would be a good game but so far it seems Iolani is too good for D1 too. But i'll wait to see how they do against Kailua and Moanalua

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think anywaaaays has posted under the names Pink Sushi and Mahatma Gandhi on HawaiiPrepWorld.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:33 pm As far I'm concerned, Until proven otherwise, Crusaders still #1, and I just can't stand them; but you have to give them props they deserve.

Good game by the Puns last night, but Big Red made the adjustments and proved too be powerful.

Crusaders looked really impressive, but Waianae this year looks to be in really bad shape. Anyone have the 411 on how many kids are out because of injury or academics for the Seariders?

RRFL!!!
As much as I liked how accurate Delaura looked, no matter how much I believe in our receiver corps, there is no way Waianae should’ve allowed those TDs that easily. It was worse than Madden. Scored passing, running, qb run, pick six, kick return, back ups put up around 40 points or so. I assume they are either WRECKED from graduation or eligibility or a combo of both. They may struggle on offense but historically they are tough on defense.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:37 pm
genks wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:11 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:23 pm

@genks: This would be one time that jumping to conclusions might be justified. The way it looks now, St Louis will be ILH Open champ. The way they throw the ball, there's a good chance they'll beat Kahuku in the state Open title game. I want Kahuku to win, but I don't know that they can contain St Louis' pass game enough.
Can’t ever count Punahou out. I have lots of respect for them.

Same with Kahuku. One thing that makes the Kahuku vs St Louis match up exciting in the state finals is the fact that both teams can adjust and turn it on in the 2nd half. You can never go into halftime against either team and be confident that’s it’s in the bag. Gotta fight every quarter.
@genks: If you ask me, when Kahuku plays St Louis, Kahuku's defensive front-seven has to go after St Louis QB De Laura like heat-seeking missiles. They gotta take him down, or at least hurry him into bad decisions.
I’m sure that will be the plan with Kahuku and Mililani’s defense. That’s what they both did last year. Delaura has fast feet but doesn’t seem to have the pure top speed that Chevan had so that’s one difference. Delaura looked VERY accurate so give and take.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:30 pm I think anywaaaays has posted under the names Pink Sushi and Mahatma Gandhi on HawaiiPrepWorld.
Among other names who knows.

But Pink Sushi is a great name. I honestly almost changed my name to roast beef because I don’t understand why every think roasted is “roasted” but roasted beef and roasted chicken is just “roast”. But I like Pink Sushi

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:15 pm If these two teams were to play again, it would definitely be close again. That blocked punt was a huge momentum swing and it seems that Kahuku always just feeds off of those big defensive/special teams plays and the defense turned it up a notch right after that score.

As for this schedule somehow being to nail Kahuku...what? How? It was hardly about the open teams and more about the lower levels. It's not fun seeing the Kaisers, Aieas, Castles have to get killed year after year by the Kahukus and Mililanis and whoever else is now in the open. But somehow it feels like Iolani still comes out as winners every year since they've done the three tournaments for states. I thought Iolani and Waiaphu would be a good game but so far it seems Iolani is too good for D1 too. But i'll wait to see how they do against Kailua and Moanalua
@Neighbor: I still don't understand how Iolani beat Waipahu, especially by such a large margin. Waipahu had the RB and O-line to beat Iolani. I don't think Moanalua can stop Iolani; didn't Moanalua barely get past Castle? And then, Castle was smashed by Kapolei last week. (Well, Kapolei is an Open school, so perhaps Castle might be more competitive against D1 competition.) As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think only Leilehua or Kailua can stop Iolani, and I hope one of them does. Iolani seems to be a pass-oriented school, so we have to find an opposing school that has a kick-butt pass rush. A school with kick-butt DEs and/or a monster MG, for example. If I had to choose, I'd take two butt-kicking DEs. Then the other school's QB can't roll-out to either side, and hopefully my interior linemen are big enough to clog the middle.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Guys please don’t take this as disrespect, it’s a real question.

Is Tufono playing injured or somethjng? He has to be a great player with all those offers. But I noticed in that game he seemed like he had a hard time running. He really struggled to keep up with the offense in some plays, and got left behind pretty bad. He did look huge, maybe he put on a bunch of muscle or somethjng over the summer? Or maybe he’s nursing a minor injury?

ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

genks wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:50 pm Guys please don’t take this as disrespect, it’s a real question.

Is Tufono playing injured or somethjng? He has to be a great player with all those offers. But I noticed in that game he seemed like he had a hard time running. He really struggled to keep up with the offense in some plays, and got left behind pretty bad. He did look huge, maybe he put on a bunch of muscle or somethjng over the summer? Or maybe he’s nursing a minor injury?
From what I heard, Tufono had an MCL Sprain from 2 weeks ago? Something like that. Something with his knee ligaments got sprained. Explains why he played the way he did?

I thought Punahou played great in the first half.. offensively. Defensively and special teams wise, they got work to do. They did mess up on a few plays, but that half could've easily been 21-0. Lots of the mistakes I saw could've been fixed I think through having a preseason game before going to the big house. Overall.. should be interesting to see their progression throughout the season. Kahuku looks like typical Kahuku. Tough and physical. but Punahou still hung in there. They only won by 13. We'll see how their defense does against Saint Louis. Can't wait to watch that game.

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

Also, I knew Iolani was going to dominate waipahu. They just execute better than they do. Plus I heard Waianae had A LOT of kids sitting out due to grades from Last Quarter which would explain why Waipahu beat them by a lot.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:26 pm
rrforlifebaby wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:33 pm As far I'm concerned, Until proven otherwise, Crusaders still #1, and I just can't stand them; but you have to give them props they deserve.

Good game by the Puns last night, but Big Red made the adjustments and proved too be powerful.

Crusaders looked really impressive, but Waianae this year looks to be in really bad shape. Anyone have the 411 on how many kids are out because of injury or academics for the Seariders?

RRFL!!!
As much as I liked how accurate Delaura looked, no matter how much I believe in our receiver corps, there is no way Waianae should’ve allowed those TDs that easily. It was worse than Madden. Scored passing, running, qb run, pick six, kick return, back ups put up around 40 points or so. I assume they are either WRECKED from graduation or eligibility or a combo of both. They may struggle on offense but historically they are tough on defense.
@genks: I remember back in the late-'70s, Waianae was always tough on O. They used the wishbone back then, and they had these huge, kick-butt monsters on the O-line. They just plowed people out of the way. If you weren't big on the D-line, God help you. They also had huge RBs like Tilson Kekua, an '81 grad. Back then, they were a lot like Kahuku is today: Physical, very big, run-oriented.

Did you sense that Waianae's D-line looked smaller than usual? Could that be one reason they had trouble getting to De Laura?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:44 pm
genks wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:50 pm Guys please don’t take this as disrespect, it’s a real question.

From what I heard, Tufono had an MCL Sprain from 2 weeks ago? Something like that. Something with his knee ligaments got sprained. Explains why he played the way he did?

I thought Punahou played great in the first half.. offensively. Defensively and special teams wise, they got work to do. They did mess up on a few plays, but that half could've easily been 21-0. Lots of the mistakes I saw could've been fixed I think through having a preseason game before going to the big house. Overall.. should be interesting to see their progression throughout the season. Kahuku looks like typical Kahuku. Tough and physical. but Punahou still hung in there. They only won by 13. We'll see how their defense does against Saint Louis. Can't wait to watch that game.
@genks: I though it was kind of surprising that Punahou hadn't scheduled a game before Kahuku. I mean, when you play Kahuku, you don't want to be starting-out cold turkey. Kahuku is not a school you want to experiment against; you'd probably want at least one game under your belt. As it was, though, Punahou did pretty well, especially during the first half. As for Kahuku's D against St Louis, I think we all know the mission of their defensive front-seven: GET DELAURA.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:47 pm Also, I knew Iolani was going to dominate waipahu. They just execute better than they do. Plus I heard Waianae had A LOT of kids sitting out due to grades from Last Quarter which would explain why Waipahu beat them by a lot.
@ka'ahupahau706: Iolani beating Waipahu was totally off-the-wall for me. If you ask me, Waipahu's O screwed-up. How big is Iolani's D-line, anyway? If you're Waipahu, you've got a good-sized O-line and a very good RB. Is it really that hard to simply run the ball down Iolani's throat? Have your O-line clean out Iolani's defensive front seven. Your outstanding RB Failauga should be good enough to find lanes. Go three yards and a cloud of dust. This kills lots of time, which gives Iolani's offense less clock to work with. It also wears-down Iolani's D-line, the same way Kahuku's offensive front wore-down Punahou's D-line. Unless Iolani's D-line is that special and/or that big, I'm going to assume that Waipahu's O simply screwed-up. Like, I wonder what their game plan was. Wasn't it to pound the rock? And what, Iolani's defensive front-seven prevented that from happening? Geez. I mean, we're not talking about Kahuku's front-seven, or St Louis' front-seven, or Kamehameha's front-seven. Also, I doubt that Waipahu's O-line is small. What, are they super-slow or something? So Waipahu's O was "out-physicalled" by Iolani's D? Give me a break. Waipahu alumni must be pissed. I was expecting a win. Sorry for venting here, but I really don't care for Iolani School, and Waipahu High went ahead and let them win a game that I think Waipahu should have won. Perhaps the game might have been close, but I was hoping for Waipahu by 7.

By the way, Waipahu also had a lot of players out on grades against Waianae. My understanding is that over a third of Waipahu's players were out on grades that game.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.2 Mililani and No.4 Kamehameha,

The Warriors have the defense to slow the Trojans down. Don't expect Mililani to drop 55 on Kamehameha. I could see Mils getting 35 and Kam not being able to match that with their offense.Whatever you may think of the Warrior QB'S,their OC is Fred Salanoa and they will be humming by season's end. But it's early and I think Mililani takes the win.

No.3 Punahou and No.9 Kapolei,

Kapolei is probably going to struggle against a Puns defense that is at least as tough as Kamehameha's D,maybe better. I think Punahou has the better offense as well. Punahou for the win.

No.6 Campbell and No.8 Farrington,

This could be a trap game for Campbell. The returnees were decent last year,and some good players transferred in. Still,Farrington is more accustomed high pressure stages than Campbell has been. So,how does Campbell handle it. The Sabers have to rattle the Gov's freshman QB.Campbell can score...they just have to harass the Govs QB like Mililani did. Campbell for the win.

I've already mentioned I think St.Louis should beat Narbonne.