unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by genks »

Happy to get out with a win, despite our qb looking absolutely horrible. Rest and regroup for next week. Punahou did well.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:21 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:15 pm I love the fact that we never quit, but this one is tough to take (especially with that chicken non-call near the end). Regardless, let’s build on this.
Come on now, we took our fair share of the ref bullshit.
I know. But this is the second time a bad call against St. Louis has cost us a chance to win. Going way back but 2007, when nobody knew whether Micah Mamiya threw a TD past the LOS. That non-PI was a kick in the balls.

I do love our chances in these next three games, though. We should crush Campbell, a team we’ve surprisingly never beaten.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week 7,

1.St.Louis 4-0 Take No.1 spot away from Punahou after beating Puns in a close game.
2.Punahou 3-2 Drop down one spot with the loss to St.Louis. No.5 Campbell next.
3.Kahuku 4-1 beat Kamehameha.
4.Mililani 4-2 Trojans played like someone lit a fire under them. Move up two spots with a win over Campbell.
5.Campbell 4-1 Sabers drop one spot with a loss.
6.Moanalua 4-0 defeat Leilehua.
7.Leilehua 4-2 drop two spots with the loss.
8.Kamehameha 2-3 drop one with the loss to Kahuku.
9.Iolani 4-2 Move up one place with the win over Damien.
10. Waipahu 4-2 Marauders back in the Top Ten with a win this weekend.

Damien drops out for now.

Crazy weekend with all the upsets.

Unofficial Open Standings,

St.Louis 3-0
Kahuku 3-1
Mililani 3-1
Campbell 2-1
Punahou 3-2
Kamehameha 1-3
Farrington 1-3
Kapolei 1-3
Waianae 0-3

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Gopunahou or anyone that understands x’s and o’s Better than I do.....

Can some one explain the love for Tufono to me? Maybe he’s having an off year so far?

My boy Liufau in my opinion is THE best player on that Punahou squad. If he was 2 inches taller and maybe 15lbs heavier he should have even more offers than Tufono. He’s a Kanai Mauga type player who wrecks games.

Now I won’t ever claim to be all that knowledgeable in the game of football, but it seems to me Tufono would be better suited inside, where he can stop runs and blitz up the middle. He’s too slow to really cover receivers well and if you don’t run the ball riht at him he’s too slow to get over and make a play. He can rush off the edge but Liufau also does that better because of his speed.

I didn’t pay all that much attention to him last 2 years so maybe he killed it then?

Liufau, Mauga and Hoku Arias have been my favorite non Crusader players. Also have to mention Miki Ah You and Kekaula Kaniho.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Markeke wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:54 am Yes, now that the meat of the Open season is happening, injuries WILL happen. As crunch time post season comes, you want your studs on deck. The last game of the Open season is the one that counts. The "hurricane" games or reschedule of StL.vs Mililani should be rescheduled. Why should all OPEN team pound out a complete 8 game and these 2 have only 7? Part of this Open thing was to play the best. Again the post OIA is murderers row for the OIA representative. Good luck to all teams and players. Hey, HS football fanatic good to hear from you.
@Markeke: Thanks. I'm still being hampered by my personal/professional difficulties, but I'm trying to muster the emotional strength to get on here and post every now and then.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:46 pm I would like to see Moanalua get on a roll here. Leilehua beat Iolani which is a great win. If Moanalua can get a win over the Mules they will carry lots of momentum against Damien.

Ive sat with Damien fans during the early games waiting for the Crusader game. When they walk in to the stadium, the Damien fans like to talk as if Damien has a prayer against STL. I guess they were super confident after blowing out PAC5. That’s cute. I wouldn’t mind seeing Moanalua upset them. There’s divisions for a reason
@genks: It's completely absurd that Damien fans should think Damien has a chance against St Louis. As we saw last night, only Punahou would have had a chance. Must be that old Damien v St Louis rivalry that dates back at least to the mid-'70s.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:26 pm Very respectable effort by the Warriors. Offense found some momentum, the game was on the shoulders of the defense as usual. Very tough team, but that offense just struggles so bad most of the time.
@genks: I think Togiai is Kamehameha's best QB. The fact that he sucked enough to be replaced by the Soph, shows how sad Kamehameha's pass game is. Still, the Soph did a pretty good job in the second half.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:33 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:19 pm
genks wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:34 pm Bang! Great play at least it won’t be a shutout
Regardless, KSK is facing a 3rd consecutive losing season. If it makes them feel better, that’s happened to us (1997-2000).
They need a qb in the worst way. A good accurate qb would do wonders for them. They could’ve beaten Campbell and Mililani if they had at least a decent offense. They had close games with a poor offense. They’re a few players away, but the pieces they’re missing happen to be the most important. Can’t question their heart.
@genks: They should have beaten Campbell. They lost because of stupid, Pop Warner penalties like six players on the line, and interlocking legs (they committed both of those lame penalties at least twice). Plus, didn't the kicker miss twice?
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:44 pm Man, me being critical of Kam’s qb play is coming back to haunt me
@genks: Yeah, like I posted earlier, that Soph QB did a pretty good job in the second half. That's good news for HC Maafala. It's also a warning to starter Togiai that if he doesn't produce, the Soph will replace him as starter.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:22 pm Happy to get out with a win, despite our qb looking absolutely horrible. Rest and regroup for next week. Punahou did well.
@genks: De Laura wasn't that bad. He made some bad decisions throwing the ball, but he atoned for them by running well. He was the top rusher for St Louis, and St Louis has decent RBs this year.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:08 pm
genks wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:46 pm I would like to see Moanalua get on a roll here. Leilehua beat Iolani which is a great win. If Moanalua can get a win over the Mules they will carry lots of momentum against Damien.

Ive sat with Damien fans during the early games waiting for the Crusader game. When they walk in to the stadium, the Damien fans like to talk as if Damien has a prayer against STL. I guess they were super confident after blowing out PAC5. That’s cute. I wouldn’t mind seeing Moanalua upset them. There’s divisions for a reason
@genks: It's completely absurd that Damien fans should think Damien has a chance against St Louis. As we saw last night, only Punahou would have had a chance. Must be that old Damien v St Louis rivalry that dates back at least to the mid-'70s.
I should’ve added, that the Damien fans spoke in a very insulting and disrespectful way. Making fat jokes, saying very disrespectful things, about high school kids. They also said they think they could take us. No that would’ve been ugly

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:23 pm
genks wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:22 pm Happy to get out with a win, despite our qb looking absolutely horrible. Rest and regroup for next week. Punahou did well.
@genks: De Laura wasn't that bad. He made some bad decisions throwing the ball, but he atoned for them by running well. He was the top rusher for St Louis, and St Louis has decent RBs this year.
The problem was him refusing to get rid of the ball. I think 2 of the picks he threw was scrambling and trying too hard to make somethjng happen. He started running a lot because Punahou was only rushing 3 and the pass coverage was very good. Hope he can tighten it up

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:36 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:08 pm

I should’ve added, that the Damien fans spoke in a very insulting and disrespectful way. Making fat jokes, saying very disrespectful things, about high school kids. They also said they think they could take us. No that would’ve been ugly
@genks: Well, those Damien fans were obviously being stupid. There is no way on God's green earth that Damien could take St Louis, and we all know that. It's just Damien fans being dumb.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:40 pm
The problem was him refusing to get rid of the ball. I think 2 of the picks he threw was scrambling and trying too hard to make somethjng happen. He started running a lot because Punahou was only rushing 3 and the pass coverage was very good. Hope he can tighten it up
@genks: Well, that's the thing. Punahou's secondary was good, so receivers were often covered. But again, De Laura responded with his run game. And, why does he have to "tighten it up"? St Louis probably won't lose another game. Now that Punahou has two losses, St Louis will almost certainly wrap-up the ILH Open title, and won't see Punahou again until next season. The only school that could have beaten St Louis is Punahou, but last night they didn't do it. They came close, but close doesn't count. Punahou is now saddled with two losses, and that will almost certainly amount to enough nails in their coffin. However, in States, St Louis will have to watch-out for Mililani. I think their pass game is even better than it was just two weeks ago, and they have a better run game than St Louis. Also, if and when Mililani plays St Louis, I'll be backing Mililani. As of the second game of the season, I made the switch. Before that, I would have backed St Louis. Right now, I think Mililani can beat Kahuku. Incidentally, I will also back Mililani against Kahuku, for the same reason as I'm now backing them against St Louis. I know guys have been saying that Kahuku is "my" team, but as of the second game of the season, not when they play Mililani. I'm not a Kahuku alumnus, so I'm exercising my right to be a "free agent."

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:44 pm
genks wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:40 pm

@genks: Well, that's the thing. Punahou's secondary was good, so receivers were often covered. But again, De Laura responded with his run game. And, why does he have to "tighten it up"? St Louis probably won't lose another game. Now that Punahou has two losses, St Louis will almost certainly wrap-up the ILH Open title, and won't see Punahou again until next season. The only school that could have beaten St Louis is Punahou, but last night they didn't do it. They came close, but close doesn't count. Punahou is now saddled with two losses, and that will almost certainly amount to enough nails in their coffin. However, in States, St Louis will have to watch-out for Mililani. I think their pass game is even better than it was just two weeks ago, and they have a better run game than St Louis. Also, if and when Mililani plays St Louis, I'll be backing Mililani. As of the second game of the season, I made the switch. Before that, I would have backed St Louis. Right now, I think Mililani can beat Kahuku. Incidentally, I will also back Mililani against Kahuku, for the same reason as I'm now backing them against St Louis. I know guys have been saying that Kahuku is "my" team, but as of the second game of the season, not when they play Mililani. I'm not a Kahuku alumnus, so I'm exercising my right to be a "free agent."
He needs to tighten up because you can’t turn the ball over that many times and expect to win. Luckily our defense played well last night and bailed us out.