unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Markeke wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:33 pm Waianae will never get back. Depressed area,yes. Money school, no. At this point, outside schools have a shot at harvesting the west side best players. Kapolei,Campbell 10 miles away. Even Mililani got Rex Manu to play for them. Then of course, the private schools. Don't be surprise if Waianae falls to D1.
@Markeke: What you posted is a definite possibility. But, I don't think it's an inevitability. Yes, Waianae High serves an economically depressed area, but that was always the case, even during its football heyday in the '70s. "Money school"? If by that you mean funding, that actually might not be true. The DOE funds all public high schools by enrollment; the more students a school has, the more money it gets. I think the only concern is other schools ripping-off Waianae High's players. You've mentioned Kapolei High, Campbell High, and Mililani High. As for the private schools ripping Waianae High off, does that happen very often? Not as much as it happens to Kahuku High. Punahou School has been ripping-off players from Kahuku High for the past five years or so; possibly longer. Personally, I like Waianae High more than the five other schools I mentioned in this post, so I do hope they mount a comeback. I think it's possible. By the way, I believe you mentioned in a previous post that you're a Kahuku alumnus. I don't dislike your alma mater at all; it's just that I like Waianae High a little more.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Lived and worked in the Kahuku area for many years,79-92. Am a Governor. Kamehameha has Waianae/Nanakuli kids, many Hawaiian kids, first they gotta pass the testing, playing football is extra. DeForest Buckner,Punahou, from Waianae. Many others for St.Louis. I wish them a great new head coach. Like most programs, pop warner and feeder youth programs need to groom the kids for hs. Hope this is happening.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:06 pm Lived and worked in the Kahuku area for many years,79-92. Am a Governor. Kamehameha has Waianae/Nanakuli kids, many Hawaiian kids, first they gotta pass the testing, playing football is extra. DeForest Buckner,Punahou, from Waianae. Many others for St.Louis. I wish them a great new head coach. Like most programs, pop warner and feeder youth programs need to groom the kids for hs. Hope this is happening.
@Markeke: Oh! You're a Farrington alumnus! Sorry, could have sworn you had said you were a Kahuku alumnus in one of your past posts.
Well, regarding Kamehameha Schools, yeah, there are lots of Hawaiians in Waianae High's school district. But, I thought Kamehameha doesn't test for entry any more. My understanding is that they're strictly on a lottery system now. So now, you don't get into Kamehameha Schools because you're smart; you get in because you're lucky. It's all (literally) by the luck of the draw. And, yes, now that you mentioned it, I remember that Buckner lived in Waianae's school district. It's news to me that St Louis School has players from Waianae High's school district. I do know that St Louis has been ripping-off players from McKinley High's school district for at least three decades. A good example is this year's state defensive player-of-the-year, Faa Tuitele. He's from Mayor Wright, which is part of McKinley's school district. For those three decades or more, lots of good players lived in Mayor Wright, and St Louis School had been ripping them off from McKinley High, left and right. Finally, yeah, let's see whom Waianae High picks as its new HC.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Happy new years..

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Waianae hired Mike Fanoga, although I don’t think that’s gonna help them beat SLS, Kahuku, Punahou, and maybe Mililani. Who do people think will take the three OIA open berths?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

Fred Salanoa is back as Radford HC, Mike Fanoga is the new Waianae HC. Anyone have any word on the Campbell job? I hear that there will be some kids transferring if Campbell doesn't retain Johnson. LOL transferring will continue until the OIA starts enforcing some kind of transfer rule. Until then it'll be kids moving from school to school, and the rumors have already been flying. Can anyone confirm these rumors? The St. Francis RB going to Moanalua. St. Francis big OLineman going to Mililani. Punahou back up qb muasau going to Mililani. Atimalala bros (WR) from Campbell going to Mililani. 2 LBs from st. louis going to Mililani. Most of this is just talk and rumors. but if some of these are true, it looks like Mililani would be the favorite in the OIA again hahahahaha!! way too early to really even think about though

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

In order of strength,just as I see 2019, Campbell,Mililani,and Kahuku,should qualify for Open out of the OIA.

gopunahou, I know you bleed Buffanblu,but I feel that Punahou is in the second tier of Open contenders for 2019 along with the three OIA teams mentioned above. I feel that St.Louis is twice as good as any of Punahou, Campbell,Mililani,Kahuku. Kamehameha, Kapolei,Waianae,and Farrington are bringing up the rear again in the OIA-ILH Alliance.

However, ,I think St.Louis will be in a dogfight in 2020.The Crusaders lose too much to graduation in spring 2020.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

St Louis just going to win it all again. No competition until Lees retire

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:50 pm Waianae hired Mike Fanoga, although I don’t think that’s gonna help them beat SLS, Kahuku, Punahou, and maybe Mililani. Who do people think will take the three OIA open berths?
@gopunahou: I've never heard of Fanoga. Anyway, yeah, unless you're Cal Lee, it's the players that determine your fate. Waianae has had so MUCH talent in the past (the mid-'70s to the '80s), but the talent seems to have thinned-out somewhat at the present. I agree, I'd be surprised if Waianae beat any of the four schools you posted.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:32 pm Fred Salanoa is back as Radford HC, Mike Fanoga is the new Waianae HC. Anyone have any word on the Campbell job? I hear that there will be some kids transferring if Campbell doesn't retain Johnson. LOL transferring will continue until the OIA starts enforcing some kind of transfer rule. Until then it'll be kids moving from school to school, and the rumors have already been flying. Can anyone confirm these rumors? The St. Francis RB going to Moanalua. St. Francis big OLineman going to Mililani. Punahou back up qb muasau going to Mililani. Atimalala bros (WR) from Campbell going to Mililani. 2 LBs from st. louis going to Mililani. Most of this is just talk and rumors. but if some of these are true, it looks like Mililani would be the favorite in the OIA again hahahahaha!! way too early to really even think about though
@Dog 96707:
Oh, yes!: Muasau, please transfer to Mililani! (Sorry, gopunahou.) And, I hope those two St Louis LBs do transfer to Mililani, too. I'd be very OK with Mililani repeating as OIA Open champs. And, may they go on to beat St Louis in the State Open title game. Go Trojans.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:48 pm St Louis just going to win it all again. No competition until Lees retire
@Neighbor: It's not only the Lees. St Louis School has so much football talent, you'd think any coach could take them to the top. But, I'd like to see Mililani High become a potent roadblock against them in States. In fact, it might come down to those two schools again, for the title.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

As frustrating as it was in the early 2000s, I'd rather see Iolani have another hoops dynasty than five more SLS championships.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:50 pm As frustrating as it was in the early 2000s, I'd rather see Iolani have another hoops dynasty than five more SLS championships.
@gopunahou: Well, your alma mater would likely beat Iolani, if they meet head-to-head in States. But, you never know. The Puns beat the Raiders by only 3 the last time they played each other. That must be a little too close for you. But, Maryknoll is even more likely to beat Iolani than Punahou is, should they play Iolani. So, I'd like to think that even if Iolani got past your alma mater, they probably won't get past Maryknoll, which would forestall an Iolani School "hoops dynasty." As for St Louis School starting a five-title football streak, well, Mililani High might have something to say about that, although the Crusaders have lots of talent returning, and have to be considered the favorite. Let's hope as many of their players as possible, transfer to other schools, as the earlier posts said might happen.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:51 pm In order of strength,just as I see 2019, Campbell,Mililani,and Kahuku,should qualify for Open out of the OIA.

gopunahou, I know you bleed Buffanblu,but I feel that Punahou is in the second tier of Open contenders for 2019 along with the three OIA teams mentioned above. I feel that St.Louis is twice as good as any of Punahou, Campbell,Mililani,Kahuku. Kamehameha, Kapolei,Waianae,and Farrington are bringing up the rear again in the OIA-ILH Alliance.

However, ,I think St.Louis will be in a dogfight in 2020.The Crusaders lose too much to graduation in spring 2020.
How many consecutive years have you said “Crusaders lose to much to graduation”? last 2 years was no qb, I’m sure this year will be no DL. Remember ranking St Louis at #5? Or all the people saying “The Crusaders aren’t even the favorite to win the ILH, let alone repeat as state champs”. I mean they can’t win forever and if you keep saying the same stuff every year you will be correct sooner or later I guess

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I think both Kam and Waianae had the same issue which was lack of a good qb. They both play tough defense and they both want to run the ball. But when teams pack the box and dare the qb to throw they struggle. I’m not sure if Walter (forgot his last name) Waianae’s former coach was just working with what he had or was he trying to ram his plays down the throats of the opponents. Maybe the new coach will have a bit more variety in the play calling