unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:33 pm gopunahou,

I agree with you. I think that Campbell is at the point where they need to pick a starter at QB and the second guy needs to be the backup,not alternating series.
I think Campbell has two problems here.

1. They don't have a clear-cut starter at QB so they can't ever get the rest of the offense into sync with one guy at QB because they are still trying to play two guys there.

2. Punahou has some really good players everywhere on defense,not just the defensive backfield.
Yes! They are robbing their qb of valuable chemistry by alternating them every game. Seems like Kalaola gets more TDs but maybe less reps. The receivers must get frustrated also with this. It’s too far into the season to not have a real starting qb named.

ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:26 pm
genks wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:18 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:11 pm genks, this has happened before—I think for a week in 2013, this board was shut down. But maybe that’d be a good thing—considering 2013 is the last year we won the state championship.
It would suck if it got shut down. I just don’t think anything was said that was really bad enough to think about shutting down the board. Well, that’s my opinion and I hope it doesn’t get shut down.

You mentioned earlier that Punahou has never beaten Campbell, have they just not challenged each other or has Campbell beaten Punahou?
K706 correctly mentioned the last meeting, which was Deforest’s senior year. We lost, 14-0, and lost Luke Kaumatule for nearly the rest of the year.

Our other matchup was 1996 in the Prep Bowl 2nd place game.
Yes that 14-0 meeting basically killed the momentum once Luke Kaumatule got hurt.
I think we Punahou will handle it on Saturday. I like how Punahou has been improving every week since day 1 against Kahuku.
It's a totally different team from what we all saw in Week 1.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I read on HPW that Kahuku has a new OC now. Mid season change so they must’ve been very unhappy with the old OC. Question for those who are familiar with Kahuku’s program.....

Makoa Freitas had great success last season. He lost the championship by a hair. He had the usual Kahuku strong defense, but had a tricky offense. Was this a product of his coaching and schemes or did he benefit from having Soljay? Maybe a bit of both?

I assume if Carvalho doesn’t bring home the koa he’s on his way out. This season, Mililani will be a real fight for the OIA title. Gabriel and York know that if they don’t take it this year, with this team, it may be a while till they are a real serious threat to beat Kahuku again. If Kahuku’s offense was tearing through everyone it wouldn’t be close. But offense production has been low and Miki Ah You out, Carvalho has his work cut out for him.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

WOW, UNHAPPY. Props to Kapolei for playing hard and coming up with big plays.. My boys didn’t execute. Didn’t catch, didn’t hold the ball, dropped some easy picks, not good. Coaches got cocky and emptied the bench and Kapolei showed that they weren’t gonna roll over and scored.

Back up qb played entire game so good experience despite not good performance.

TIGHTEN UP

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:00 am WOW, UNHAPPY. Props to Kapolei for playing hard and coming up with big plays.. My boys didn’t execute. Didn’t catch, didn’t hold the ball, dropped some easy picks, not good. Coaches got cocky and emptied the bench and Kapolei showed that they weren’t gonna roll over and scored.

TIGHTEN UP
If you saw us play Kapolei, it must've looked like deja vu. Our coaches got cocky and let the second-stringers play against them.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:35 am
genks wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:00 am WOW, UNHAPPY. Props to Kapolei for playing hard and coming up with big plays.. My boys didn’t execute. Didn’t catch, didn’t hold the ball, dropped some easy picks, not good. Coaches got cocky and emptied the bench and Kapolei showed that they weren’t gonna roll over and scored.

TIGHTEN UP
If you saw us play Kapolei, it must've looked like deja vu. Our coaches got cocky and let the second-stringers play against them.
I’m 100% telling you the truth, I told my friend “why are they subbing everyone out? The Kapolei offense is still driving on the 2nd string and it looks like 3rd string going in” tyen my friend said “watch, TD then recover onside kick”

Holy crap

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

The name of the game in the OPEN division is surviving injuries. So using reserves is a must. At the end of the game, a win is a win. I hear " it would have been a blowout if coach left the starters in"? Why? All your best players perform at high speed. They get hurt. Every team in the Open have hitters. Off subject, I've always said Punahou has the most brutal road schedule in the Open.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

It seems St.Louis played three of their backup QB'S to give DeLaura a week off to rest a sore shoulder. Makes sense. The coaches want their starter healed up when they face Campbell and Kamehameha.

In general,you would like to get game experience for your second and third strings. Maybe the coaching staff waited almost a little too long to reinsert the starters, though.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Markeke wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:38 am The name of the game in the OPEN division is surviving injuries. So using reserves is a must. At the end of the game, a win is a win. I hear " it would have been a blowout if coach left the starters in"? Why? All your best players perform at high speed. They get hurt. Every team in the Open have hitters. Off subject, I've always said Punahou has the most brutal road schedule in the Open.
I’m not saying that it would’ve been a blowout if the starters stayed in. The part I thought was silly was the end. They literally emptied the bench in the last drive Kapolei scores, recovers onside kick. Now the starters gotta come back in to prevent OT. That’s a crappy position to be put in for the starters. They were cooling off, mentally relaxing, then get thrown back in.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:48 am It seems St.Louis played three of their backup QB'S to give DeLaura a week off to rest a sore shoulder. Makes sense. The coaches want their starter healed up when they face Campbell and Kamehameha.

In general,you would like to get game experience for your second and third strings. Maybe the coaching staff waited almost a little too long to reinsert the starters, though.
Yeah I mean despite the mistakes made, Jayden got to rest and we still walk out of there with a win.

I know Coach Cal believes in getting most playing time possible for back ups so they are ready to go when they are needed or if they become starters eventually.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Eight,

1.St.Louis 5-0. No.6 Campbell next.
2.Punahou 4-2. No.8 Kamehameha next.
3.Kahuku 4-1 DNP No.4 Mililani next.
4.Mililani 5-2
5.Moanalua 5-0 Move up one with the win.
6.Campbell 4-2 Drop down one with the loss to Mililani.
7.Leilehua 5-2 No.10 Waipahu next.
8.Kamehameha 3-3
9.Iolani 5-2
10.Waipahu 5-2

To me,the most interesting contest next week is Kahuku vs Mililani. Mililani has a chance to win. The Red Raider D showed some holes in the St.Louis loss.Mililani might be able to outscore Kahuku. The Trojan D could stop Kahuku enough times to win unless the Red Raider ground game gets rolling for 200-300 yards.If Kahuku doesn't run the ball well by their standards this might be a close game.

Unofficial Open standings,

St.Louis 4-0
Kahuku 3-1
Mililani 3-1
Punahou 4-2
Campbell 2-2
Kamehameha 2-3
Farrington 1-4
Kapolei 1-4
Waianae 0-4

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:04 am Week Eight,

4.Mililani 5-2
8.Kamehameha 3-3
9.Iolani 5-2
10.Waipahu 5-2

To me,the most interesting contest next week is Kahuku vs Mililani. Mililani has a chance to win. The Red Raider D showed some holes in the St.Louis loss.Mililani might be able to outscore Kahuku. The Trojan D could stop Kahuku enough times to win unless the Red Raider ground game gets rolling for 200-300 yards.If Kahuku doesn't run the ball well by their standards this might be a close game.

St.Louis 4-0
Kahuku 3-1
Mililani 3-1
Punahou 4-2
Campbell 2-2
Kamehameha 2-3
Farrington 1-4
Kapolei 1-4
Waianae 0-4
If Mililani plays like they did against us against Kahuku, they can forget about winning. It might be a 35-point massacre. BTW, has Mililani ever hosted Kahuku?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I was at the Waianae vs Mililani game sitting in the Waianae side. Lots of people were unhappy with the coaches. They showed very poor clock management. Waianae was in the red zone, and they let the clock run out. They could’ve at least put up an easy FG. People were yelling their displeasure and frustration towards the coaching staff.
Rest of the season is
Farrington
Kam
Punahou
Campbell

If they don’t beat Farrington they may go winless.

The defense played really well in the first half. A personal foul erased a pick and they cracked Gabriel forcing a fumble.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

I .paid OPEN football

Post by Markeke »

unpaid wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:04 am Week Eight,

4.Mililani 5-2
8.Kamehameha 3-3
9.Iolani 5-2
10.Waipahu 5-2

St.Louis 4-0
Kahuku 3-1
Mililani 3-1
Punahou 4-2
Campbell 2-2
Kamehameha 2-3
Farrington 1-4
Kapolei 1-4
Waianae 0-4
Losing Ah You is a big hole on D. York will exploit that hole with more Malepeai runs,rb draws. Playing at Kahuku, on a slower field gives Kahuku the edge. Also that homecoming crowd will be rocking. Ball control time control and ground game will be key for Kahuku. Hope Vimahi and Howlett-Soliai is back on O line. I was impress with Campbells 2 freshmen O line play. Coming up mid season from jv and playing a team like Punahou, good job boys. .

kanakattack
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by kanakattack »

genks wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:13 am
Markeke wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:38 am The name of the game in the OPEN division is surviving injuries. So using reserves is a must. At the end of the game, a win is a win. I hear " it would have been a blowout if coach left the starters in"? Why? All your best players perform at high speed. They get hurt. Every team in the Open have hitters. Off subject, I've always said Punahou has the most brutal road schedule in the Open.
I’m not saying that it would’ve been a blowout if the starters stayed in. The part I thought was silly was the end. They literally emptied the bench in the last drive Kapolei scores, recovers onside kick. Now the starters gotta come back in to prevent OT. That’s a crappy position to be put in for the starters. They were cooling off, mentally relaxing, then get thrown back in.
This is entirely inaccurate. After watching the game on OC16, during Kapolei RB Ezekiel Waiolama's 2 touchdown runs, the only St. Louis starter that was out on defense was Tuitele, and he was banged up and re-entered the game with a taped up shoulder. Numbers 1, 2 , 6, 11, 12, 15, 19, 44, 56, and 94 were in the game.