unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by unpaid »

Week Fourteen,

1.St.Louis 9-0 DNP
2.Mililani 9-2 OIA Open champs by defeating Kahuku in the league title game.
3.Punahou 7-3 SO
4.Campbell 8-4 Beat Farrington .Move up one place.
5.Kahuku 7-4 Move down one place with the loss to Mililani
6.Iolani 8-2
7.Hilo 8-1
8.Waipahu 8-4
9.Moanalua 8-1 SO
10.Leilehua 8-3 SO

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

kaneoheboy44 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:51 pm So can we just give saint louis the koa trophy already ?
@kaneoheboy44: I absolutely see what you're saying. I don't see anyone beating St Louis. Clearly, no one but Mililani is even close. So, Mililani would vigorously object. I hope Mililani beats St Louis, but I think we can be about 95% certain that it's not going to happen. Only if DeLaura gets hurt and doesn't play (like in the Kapolei game), would Mililani have a chance. I mean, Mililani has both a good O and a good D. Problem is, St Louis' O and D are both even better.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:32 pm Judging from tonight’s games, I wonder if injuries have hurt both Campbell and Kahuku.
@gopunahou: Yes. You've got a frosh QB in for Campbell, and of course, look at the kind of year Kahuku is having due to injuries. Yes, Kahuku is in States, but they're going to lose their first game (against St Louis). Kahuku alumni are not used to having a football season like this. They have what, three or four losses? On top of that, most of those losses were blowouts, like the one last night to Mililani. I mean, in a typical football season for Kahuku High, they might have one loss at the most (and that loss, if it occurs, is usually in the State D1 title game), and that loss is usually not a blowout. Kahuku alumni have really taken gut-punches this year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:36 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:32 pm Judging from tonight’s games, I wonder if injuries have hurt both Campbell and Kahuku.
@gopunahou: Yes. You've got a frosh QB in for Campbell, and of course, look at the kind of year Kahuku is having due to injuries. Yes, Kahuku is in States, but they're going to lose their first game (against St Louis). Kahuku alumni are not used to having a football season like this. They have what, three or four losses? On top of that, most of those losses were blowouts, like the one last night to Mililani. I mean, in a typical football season for Kahuku High, they might have one loss at the most (and that loss, if it occurs, is usually in the State D1 title game), and that loss is usually not a blowout. Kahuku alumni have really taken gut-punches this year.
Does that include the personal losses that they’ve suffered with the deaths of Kona, Pele, and Tommy Heffernan Sr.?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

That freshman qb from Campbell looked better than their 2 seniors. If they can keep good receivers, they will put some points up with that qb as he develops over the next few years. Kaipo isn’t good and Kaniala is a turn over machine. They should’ve been getting the freshman reps all this time

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Campbell did get the freshman plenty of reps as the JV starter on a team that went to the OIA JV Open semifinal game a week ago.He would have gotten far fewer reps if he had to split time in a three man QB rotation on the varsity. Whatever you might think about the two guys who platooned on the varsity,they were good enough to help get Campbell in the position to get into the Open Division playoff. Hipa was a far more finished QB,better able to take over after Kaipo had shoulder problems because he had been playing and refining his skills all season on a 3-3 JV team.

The Farrington kid was in a different situation. I believe Afe wasn't ready to go the first two games.So the Frosh got thrown into the fire there,until Afe could play.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

On the subject of Campbell football, is Sky Lactaoen the son or a relative of former UH hoopster Jimmy?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:51 pm
Does that include the personal losses that they’ve suffered with the deaths of Kona, Pele, and Tommy Heffernan Sr.?
@gopunahou: No, it doesn't. So, when you factor-in those things, it becomes even worse.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:41 pm
That freshman qb from Campbell looked better than their 2 seniors. If they can keep good receivers, they will put some points up with that qb as he develops over the next few years. Kaipo isn’t good and Kaniala is a turn over machine. They should’ve been getting the freshman reps all this time
@genks: "Turnover machine." I like that! That's hilarious. Of course, it's probably not that funny for Campbell alumni. But, I think Campbell alumni are enjoying the ride this football season. Anything from here on out is icing on the cake.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Yup, looks like my RR will play their final game. Main thing play hard the next game. Even if Kaniho is 100%, why play him. Give the underclassmen a chance or reserve seniors play time. A bump is a bump.
On the subject of promising freshmen Qbs. With the state of "transfers" going rampant in the OIA, coaches need to keep tabs on their stars. With no "1 year" sit out rule, Coach Hernandez can say he was decimated last year. The neighborhood loyalty thing is past. Can't blame kids and parents from wanting to go another public school that will enhance their kids chance's and "football" education. Only thing is the smaller schools will suffer. Remember when Waianae was a constant powerhouse? Or Nanakuli? Now if the star players are not scooped up by private schools, then public school's like Kapolei,Campbell and Mililani is a very good option. This is the new High School football. As much "recruiting" and "transfers" are trashed around on blogs, by rampant fans, each kid and parent has the option's to take. This is a new era. This will actually get more kids college looks. Now if we only get UH to step up.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Markeke wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:38 am Yup, looks like my RR will play their final game. Main thing play hard the next game. Even if Kaniho is 100%, why play him. Give the underclassmen a chance or reserve seniors play time. A bump is a bump.
On the subject of promising freshmen Qbs. With the state of "transfers" going rampant in the OIA, coaches need to keep tabs on their stars. With no "1 year" sit out rule, Coach Hernandez can say he was decimated last year. The neighborhood loyalty thing is past. Can't blame kids and parents from wanting to go another public school that will enhance their kids chance's and "football" education. Only thing is the smaller schools will suffer. Remember when Waianae was a constant powerhouse? Or Nanakuli? Now if the star players are not scooped up by private schools, then public school's like Kapolei,Campbell and Mililani is a very good option. This is the new High School football. As much "recruiting" and "transfers" are trashed around on blogs, by rampant fans, each kid and parent has the option's to take. This is a new era. This will actually get more kids college looks. Now if we only get UH to step up.
Was that huge group of players leaving kapolei due to coaching?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:38 am Yup, looks like my RR will play their final game. Main thing play hard the next game. Even if Kaniho is 100%, why play him. Give the underclassmen a chance or reserve seniors play time. A bump is a bump.
@Markeke: Yeah. I prefer Kahuku to St Louis, but this year Kahuku simply isn't able to stay with St Louis; it is what it is. However, if Kaniho is 100%, I think Kahuku should play him. It's lose or go home; might as well start all your best. When (If?) the score makes it clear that Kahuku definitely won't win, then sit Kaniho. I think Kahuku's football team owes it to the school and its alumni to start all their best, put their best foot forward. You have to at least start the game with the mindset of trying to win it.

It seems that Mililani High has become the "new Kahuku High." Mililani seems to have established itself as the OIA school with the best football team. But, I don't think other Open OIA schools' players should try to transfer. If your school is Open, stay with it. There's no guarantee that Mililani will be OIA Open champ next year; anything can happen. If you're at an OIA Open school, stay put.

As a UH alumnus, I encourage all players in Hawaii who are good enough to play DI ball, to play for UH. UH is a DI school; stay, and play for the Home Team. UH's football team "not good enough"? Join the team, and make it better.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:12 pm
@genks: Guys have been criticizing Hernandez's coaching for several years now, but I don't think he's that bad a coach. Two years ago, he knocked-off Punahou in States. This year he came within a TD of beating or tieing St Louis. (Yes, St Louis didn't have DeLaura, but still.) I don't know that we can say Hernandez is an outstanding coach, but I don't think we can say he's a bad coach, either.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:59 pm
@genks: Guys have been criticizing Hernandez's coaching for several years now, but I don't think he's that bad a coach. Two years ago, he knocked-off Punahou in States. This year he came within a TD of beating or tieing St Louis. (Yes, St Louis didn't have DeLaura, but still.) I don't know that we can say Hernandez is an outstanding coach, but I don't think we can say he's a bad coach, either.
In the past I have been critical of Hernandez because I felt he should’ve done more with the insane roster he had that year. They got blown away so bad by Kahuku I think it was like 50ish to 14 or something like that. That year Tata was coach, and they weren’t really using Soljay as a passer. They also lost to Farrington. They had Taulia, Myron, all those LBs, a good safety, they were so solid. They also lost 13-0 to Farrington this year who is absolutely suffering on both sides of the ball. I just think he should’ve had more success with al those killers.

BTw that year I think it was the poly bowl, Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa and Aliki Vimahi were both on the same line. Jesus Christ it was scary

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:18 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:59 pm

In the past I have been critical of Hernandez because I felt he should’ve done more with the insane roster he had that year. They got blown away so bad by Kahuku I think it was like 50ish to 14 or something like that. That year Tata was coach, and they weren’t really using Soljay as a passer. They also lost to Farrington. They had Taulia, Myron, all those LBs, a good safety, they were so solid. They also lost 13-0 to Farrington this year who is absolutely suffering on both sides of the ball. I just think he should’ve had more success with al those killers.

BTw that year I think it was the poly bowl, Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa and Aliki Vimahi were both on the same line. Jesus Christ it was scary
@genks: OK, I get that there are games Hernandez should have won, or not have lost so badly. Yes, he's had considerable talent and size over the years. Still, I think he should get the benefit of the doubt. He doesn't suck every game, and there was that win against Punahou. And, this year he gave your alma mater a good rub. DeLaura wasn't playing, but that's football. St Louis still had everyone else, and Kapolei almost tied/beat them under Hernandez's coaching. Also, unlike most years, this year St Louis has a run game. So, with QB DeLaura out, St Louis could have gone to the run more. Hernandez still came close.