unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:40 pm
genks wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:18 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:59 pm

@genks: Guys have been criticizing Hernandez's coaching for several years now, but I don't think he's that bad a coach. Two years ago, he knocked-off Punahou in States. This year he came within a TD of beating or tieing St Louis. (Yes, St Louis didn't have DeLaura, but still.) I don't know that we can say Hernandez is an outstanding coach, but I don't think we can say he's a bad coach, either.
In the past I have been critical of Hernandez because I felt he should’ve done more with the insane roster he had that year. They got blown away so bad by Kahuku I think it was like 50ish to 14 or something like that. That year Tata was coach, and they weren’t really using Soljay as a passer. They also lost to Farrington. They had Taulia, Myron, all those LBs, a good safety, they were so solid. They also lost 13-0 to Farrington this year who is absolutely suffering on both sides of the ball. I just think he should’ve had more success with al those killers.

BTw that year I think it was the poly bowl, Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa and Aliki Vimahi were both on the same line. Jesus Christ it was scary
@genks: OK, I get that there are games Hernandez should have won, or not have lost so badly. Yes, he's had considerable talent and size over the years. Still, I think he should get the benefit of the doubt. He doesn't suck every game, and there was that win against Punahou. And, this year he gave your alma mater a good rub. DeLaura wasn't playing, but that's football. St Louis still had everyone else, and Kapolei almost tied/beat them under Hernandez's coaching. Also, unlike most years, this year St Louis has a run game. So, with QB DeLaura out, St Louis could have gone to the run more. Hernandez still came close.
Yeah they did give us a tough game and they did beat Punahou that year. They also tried to twist Nick kapule’s head right off his body and took him out of the game. Not saying that changed the outcome but that was a terrible foul.

I’m not saying he’s a bad coach but I do think he should’ve been able to do better. When you have your qb1, qb2, wr1, wr2, I think also lb1 or 2 all leave I have to wonder if it’s eitger getting away from coach A or the kids want to go and play with coach B.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

at least Mililani winning makes it a bit more intriguing. Helps that the Mililani-Saint Louis game was cancelled so there's still that mystery about it but I think St Louis still runs away with it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Neighbor wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:44 pm at least Mililani winning makes it a bit more intriguing. Helps that the Mililani-Saint Louis game was cancelled so there's still that mystery about it but I think St Louis still runs away with it.
@Neighbor: I'm hoping for an upset. If there is to be one, I think it will be up to Mililani's D. As good as Mililani's O is, I think it's going to take a herculean effort by the D.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Coach Hernandez gets a lot of his student athletes into college. No different than math,science,language .etc. teachers who push their students to get into college.

No.6 Iolani and No.8 Waipahu,

Iolani has scored more per game than Waipahu has. The Raiders also give up fewer points on defense per game than the Marauders have. I think Iolani gets the win and moves onto the D-I title game.

No.7 Hilo and unranked Maui,

Maui has had a very inconsistent performance compared to Hilo this year.I think Hilo has the edge on defense,and have the edge on offense too. I am going with Hilo for the win here. Vikings should move onto the D-I title game and try to repeat as state champs.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:13 pm Coach Hernandez gets a lot of his student athletes into college. No different than math,science,language .etc. teachers who push their students to get into college.

No.6 Iolani and No.8 Waipahu,

Iolani has scored more per game than Waipahu has. The Raiders also give up fewer points on defense per game than the Marauders have. I think Iolani gets the win and moves onto the D-I title game.

No.7 Hilo and unranked Maui,

Maui has had a very inconsistent performance compared to Hilo this year.I think Hilo has the edge on defense,and have the edge on offense too. I am going with Hilo for the win here. Vikings should move onto the D-I title game and try to repeat as state champs.
@unpaid: I'm hoping for an upset by Waipahu. Yes, Iolani beat Waipahu early in the season, but later, Iolani lost to Leilehua. Waipahu beat Leilehua. I think Waipahu is better now than when they lost to Iolani. For one thing, a lot of Waipahu players were out that game. I think the key for Waipahu is their O-line. Waipahu RB Failauga is not only one of the best RBs in D1; he's better than just about all the RBs the Open schools have. But, Failauga is no better than his blockers. The hogs on Waipahu's O-line need to kick butt. I'm assuming Waipahu's coaches are looking at two films: The one in which they lost to Waipahu, and the one in which Leilehua beat Iolani. But really, most of all, Waipahu's O-line coach needs to drill it into his linemen's heads: KICK BUTT, FIRE OUT. It has to be almost a mantra.
What's more, Waipahu's O-linemen need to kick butt beyond the line of scrimmage, because Iolani's LBs are pretty good. It's not like Waipahu's O-linemen can chill after cleaning-out Iolani's down-linemen. I think that each play, Waipahu's O-linemen need to block like crazed savages all the way downfield, cleaning-out any Iolani players in sight, until the whistle blows the play dead. It's like they need to be on a search-and-destroy mission. Well, of course, I'm sure Waipahu will mix-in some passing plays, too, but I would strongly emphasize the run when you've got an RB like Failauga. Just eat-up the clock, try to run the ball down Iolani's throat. The more clock Waipahu eats, monopolizing the ball on run plays, the less time Iolani's O has on the field. And all the while, you're wearing-down Iolani's D. I think Waipahu needs to pound Iolani into submission, get them to cry uncle.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Waipahu gotta feed Failauga and even the JV running back they brought up is pretty good too. Run it up the middle like they did against Castle. Last time they played Iolani, they barely ran the ball early on and tried too many outside runs. Iolani got too much speed.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:45 pm Waipahu gotta feed Failauga and even the JV running back they brought up is pretty good too. Run it up the middle like they did against Castle. Last time they played Iolani, they barely ran the ball early on and tried too many outside runs. Iolani got too much speed.
@Neighbor: Yes, I agree that Iolani is faster than Waipahu. So, Waipahu needs to fight speed with POWER. Waipahu needs to GET PHYSICAL with Iolani. Just run the ball up Iolani's gutt, kick butt up the middle. In effect, Waipahu's O-linemen need to tell Iolani's D-linemen, "Here we come. What are you gonna do about it?!" Waipahu needs to make this game all about physical superiority. Waipahu's O-linemen need to have the same mindset that Castle's O-linemen did when they played Moanalua. Waipahu's O-linemen need to make a commitment to mangle the guys in front of them. That's about the size of it. If possible, don't even let Iolani hang-around. Blow 'em out, if you can.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Iolani has a good run game also. They have the other Nishigaya sibling. He looks like he runs pretty tough from what little I saw

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Iolani always is one of the fastest teams in the state in FB. Makes me wonder why they haven’t won more boys track state championships (that is, if their FB players do track as well).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:38 am Iolani has a good run game also. They have the other Nishigaya sibling. He looks like he runs pretty tough from what little I saw
@genks: But you would think Waipahu could stop Iolani's run game. First of all, none of Iolani's RBs are as good as Waipahu RB Failauga. Second, I'd like to think that Waipahu's D-line can handle Iolani's O-line. I find it hard to believe that Iolani can blow Waipahu off the line. It's Iolani's pass game that I'm concerned about. I don't know how good Waipahu's pass rush is, and I don't know how good their secondary is.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:59 am Iolani always is one of the fastest teams in the state in FB. Makes me wonder why they haven’t won more boys track state championships (that is, if their FB players do track as well).
@gopunahou: Well, it's not surprising that a team that's physically small usually, would also be fast. That's why I think Waipahu should go with a clock-eating run game. Kill clock, hopefully score, wear-down Iolani's D, and all the while you're keeping Iolani's O off the field as you're monopolizing the ball.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I take back what I said about Iolani moving up to the open. They are waaay too small. Waipahu’s d line is so much bigger than Iolanis O line.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I don’t really want Iolani to win, but Waipahu’s defense and o line is getting away with a lot on top of what is actually getting called

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

What a roll Waipahu is on. They should step up to the Open while they still have Failunga next year. They will still beat Waianae, probably Farrington, who knows who else. Props to them.

Interesting to know that enrollment wise they should’ve been in the Open all this time. But if you ignore enrollment it seems they were in the right place.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Fifteen,

1.St.Louis 9-0
2 Mililani 9-2
3.Punahou 7-3
4.Campbell 8-4
5.Kahuku 7-4
6.Hilo 9-1 Vikings move up one with the win over Maui.No.7 Waipahu next for D-I state title game.
7.Waipahu 9-4 Marauders climb one place with the win over Iolani.
8.Iolani 8-3 Season over. Drop two spots.
9.Moanalua 8-1
10.Leilehua 8-3

The D-I games were close,but that seems to be sloppy execution and penalties more than any thing else.Hilo turned the ball over six times,but still wins because Maui was committing penalties that hurt their scoring opportunities.Waipahu had around 250 yards they were penalized with.They should have done better than a one point win.

I am hoping Hilo and Waipahu get things cleaned up for the title game.