unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by Dog 96707 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:59 pm
genks wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:48 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:55 pm

@genks: Sorry, I have never even heard of them. I'm assuming they're good, as you've mentioned them. Having said that, any word as to which school they're transferring to?
I believe they started at Kapolei then played at Campbell last year. Both brothers are good receivers and play DB also. So losing them would be losing 2 starting receivers AND 2 starting DBs. At least I think they play both ways the whole game. I thought someone posted a while back that they may be leaving Campbell. Not sure of any other details or if the rumor is true
@genks: Wow. If both of them start at receiver and DB, that would be a huge loss for Campbell High. That would be like losing 4 starters. If they're brothers, it seems safe to assume that both of them would transfer to the same school. Wonder which school will be the lucky one to get them. Of course, as you say, it's only a rumor. But if it's true, Campbell High will be dealt a heavy blow, and some other school will receive a bonanza.
The Atimalala boys will be at Campbell this season. the rumor was if DJ (Campbell HC) wasn't rehired they would've transferred out. But he's back, so they'll be there and should be big time ballers this season. The transfers from st. louis to Mililani, 2 lbs and 1 rb should make an impact over there. They games that I've seen on OC 16 the past few years, i notice that there are a lot of transfers that come from st louis to OIA schools. It probably has do with tuition cost as well as competition. It's an expensive school, i believe like $15K or $16K, ouch!! And from what i hear..... and this is from a very reliable source, they don't have financial aid money like other schools( Punahou, iolani). Also, st louis seems to have the top players, so competition must be huge there. Not all kids...i should say parents, want their kids to compete. if you gonna be 2nd or 3rd string at st louis, or at any school, but would be 1st string at another school.... Transferring is the trend, you see it in college. That's what it is has become.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Dog 96707 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:08 am

I believe they started at Kapolei then played at Campbell last year. Both brothers are good receivers and play DB also. So losing them would be losing 2 starting receivers AND 2 starting DBs. At least I think they play both ways the whole game. I thought someone posted a while back that they may be leaving Campbell. Not sure of any other details or if the rumor is true
@genks: Wow. If both of them start at receiver and DB, that would be a huge loss for Campbell High. That would be like losing 4 starters. If they're brothers, it seems safe to assume that both of them would transfer to the same school. Wonder which school will be the lucky one to get them. Of course, as you say, it's only a rumor. But if it's true, Campbell High will be dealt a heavy blow, and some other school will receive a bonanza.
The Atimalala boys will be at Campbell this season. the rumor was if DJ (Campbell HC) wasn't rehired they would've transferred out. But he's back, so they'll be there and should be big time ballers this season. The transfers from st. louis to Mililani, 2 lbs and 1 rb should make an impact over there. They games that I've seen on OC 16 the past few years, i notice that there are a lot of transfers that come from st louis to OIA schools. It probably has do with tuition cost as well as competition. It's an expensive school, i believe like $15K or $16K, ouch!! And from what i hear..... and this is from a very reliable source, they don't have financial aid money like other schools( Punahou, iolani). Also, st louis seems to have the top players, so competition must be huge there. Not all kids...i should say parents, want their kids to compete. if you gonna be 2nd or 3rd string at st louis, or at any school, but would be 1st string at another school.... Transferring is the trend, you see it in college. That's what it is has become.
Ok thanks for clearing that up. I can’t imagine Campbell not rehiring Coach DJ.

Unfortunately tuition does hurt and sometimes forces parents to transfer their kids to OIA schools. Dylan Toilolo and Vegas come to mind, Toilolo was a starter and Vegas would’ve seen lots of rotation. Both were missed very much and played well for Mililani and Kapolei

I can also understand parents or kids not wanting to sit. They may feel like their chance at college scholarships, even for D2 schools will be lost if they can’t get on the field. It’s a huge squad with lots of latent so it’s not hard to get lost on the bench.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@Dog 96707: Regarding your reliable source, I think that source is reliable, indeed. About 5 or 6 years ago, St Louis School was considering admitting girls because the school wasn't bringing-in enough tuition. I heard that at one point, bigwigs at the school were considering the necessity of closing the school--(a la St Francis)--unless girls were admitted. Obviously, things never got to that point, and St Louis School remains all-boys. "The brotherhood" is really big at St Louis School. My understanding is that a large majority of St Louis alumni want the school to remain all-boys. I assume the school had to raise tuition to cover that, and now we're seeing their football players transfer to OIA schools because of the high cost of tuition. Well, you can't have your cake and eat it, too. But, I suspect most St Louis alumni would still prefer to see the school remain all-boys. Having said all that, if the Crusaders are losing 2 LBs and an RB, the question is: How many of those players were starters?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:36 am

Unfortunately tuition does hurt and sometimes forces parents to transfer their kids to OIA schools. Dylan Toilolo and Vegas come to mind, Toilolo was a starter and Vegas would’ve seen lots of rotation. Both were missed very much and played well for Mililani and Kapolei

I can also understand parents or kids not wanting to sit. They may feel like their chance at college scholarships, even for D2 schools will be lost if they can’t get on the field. It’s a huge squad with lots of latent so it’s not hard to get lost on the bench.
@genks: What has always amazed me about St Louis School is that even though it's not a big school enrollment-wise, they always seem to have a large football roster. I mean, for years, their roster has been as big as Kamehameha's and Punahou's, which have quite larger enrollment. Even when you consider the fact that every kid at St Louis School is a boy, that's still pretty amazing. You could say that St Louis School is the Kahuku High of the ILH, in that Kahuku High also isn't a big school enrollment-wise, yet they too always seem to have a large football roster. I guess what it boils down to is that Kahuku and St Louis are "football schools," and their enrollment doesn't matter one way or the other. That is pretty amazing.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:10 pm

@genks: What has always amazed me about St Louis School is that even though it's not a big school enrollment-wise, they always seem to have a large football roster. I mean, for years, their roster has been as big as Kamehameha's and Punahou's, which have quite larger enrollment. Even when you consider the fact that every kid at St Louis School is a boy, that's still pretty amazing. You could say that St Louis School is the Kahuku High of the ILH, in that Kahuku High also isn't a big school enrollment-wise, yet they too always seem to have a large football roster. I guess what it boils down to is that Kahuku and St Louis are "football schools," and their enrollment doesn't matter one way or the other. That is pretty amazing.
I would definitely say that St Louis is a football school. Schools like Punahou are more rounded in their sports success. At St Louis football is king. The rest of the sports usually drop off a cliff lol.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

St louis football team has like 100 kids on it. Easy to get lost in the mix or not get ample playing time

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think that St. Louis students who DON'T play football take a lot of heat, much more heat than they would've taken between 2005 and 2014.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:18 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:10 pm

I would definitely say that St Louis is a football school. Schools like Punahou are more rounded in their sports success. At St Louis football is king. The rest of the sports usually drop off a cliff lol.
@genks: Well, not really. At least, not this year. Right now their baseball team is 2nd in ILH D1, and their soccer team was ILH D2 champ. Although, I don't think the Crusader soccer team has any business in D2. If you ask me, if the football team is Open (D1), the soccer team should be D1.