unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:55 pm Headliners this week,

No.2 Mililani and No.4 Kamehameha,

The Warriors have the defense to slow the Trojans down. Don't expect Mililani to drop 55 on Kamehameha. I could see Mils getting 35 and Kam not being able to match that with their offense.Whatever you may think of the Warrior QB'S,their OC is Fred Salanoa and they will be humming by season's end. But it's early and I think Mililani takes the win.

No.3 Punahou and No.9 Kapolei,

Kapolei is probably going to struggle against a Puns defense that is at least as tough as Kamehameha's D,maybe better. I think Punahou has the better offense as well. Punahou for the win.

No.6 Campbell and No.8 Farrington,

This could be a trap game for Campbell. The returnees were decent last year,and some good players transferred in. Still,Farrington is more accustomed high pressure stages than Campbell has been. So,how does Campbell handle it. The Sabers have to rattle the Gov's freshman QB.Campbell can score...they just have to harass the Govs QB like Mililani did. Campbell for the win.

I've already mentioned I think St.Louis should beat Narbonne.
@unpaid: Is Salanoa that good as an OC? We'll see. I think Kamehameha has found a starting QB in Chris Togiai. (They used three QBs in the Kapolei game.) Of the three QBs Kamehameha used, Togiai seems to be the most experienced, and seems to have the best arm. He also looks like the tallest, and it looked like he can run some, too. Better yet, while he's tall--like last year's Yam was--he looks bigger (and hopefully more rugged) than Yam. Yam was kind of lanky, and half the time it seemed he was injured (shoulder). If I were Salanoa, I'd start Togiai against Mililani. But, is it a stretch to say Salanoa will have Kamehameha's O "humming" by season's end? We'll see. If he does, Kamehameha certainly has the receivers to hum along with the QBs. I think Salanoa needs to do something about Kamehameha's run game, too. None of their two or three RBs seem to be as good as Shannon, who just graduated this year.

I don't imagine Campbell will have too much of a problem with Farrington, especially with those good transfers they got. Farrington must be shell-shocked by the beating they took from Mililani. Granted, Campbell's O isn't as good as Mililani's O, but you wonder what effect the shellacking Farrington got will have on the Farrington D's psyche. Did it get into their heads?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:55 pm Headliners this week,

No.2 Mililani and No.4 Kamehameha,

The Warriors have the defense to slow the Trojans down. Don't expect Mililani to drop 55 on Kamehameha. I could see Mils getting 35 and Kam not being able to match that with their offense.Whatever you may think of the Warrior QB'S,their OC is Fred Salanoa and they will be humming by season's end. But it's early and I think Mililani takes the win.

No.3 Punahou and No.9 Kapolei,

Kapolei is probably going to struggle against a Puns defense that is at least as tough as Kamehameha's D,maybe better. I think Punahou has the better offense as well. Punahou for the win.

No.6 Campbell and No.8 Farrington,

This could be a trap game for Campbell. The returnees were decent last year,and some good players transferred in. Still,Farrington is more accustomed high pressure stages than Campbell has been. So,how does Campbell handle it. The Sabers have to rattle the Gov's freshman QB.Campbell can score...they just have to harass the Govs QB like Mililani did. Campbell for the win.

I've already mentioned I think St.Louis should beat Narbonne.
I do agree that Farrington can be a trap game. Somehow in the past they’ve managed to win games that they definetly should’ve lost on paper. Campbell does have some good receivers and athletes but I’m not real high on their QBs. Campbell should win but trap game is the correct term for this one.

I think Punahou gonna put up some points against Kapolei.

Agreed with the take on the Mil vs Kam game. Kam has some good DBs so they will at least give Mil tougher time scoring. If Kam had decent offense this game could be fairly close. But you gotta think Mil will outscore Kam no matter how good Kams defense can play that night.

St Louis Crusader War Wagon gonna rumble into Aloha Stadium to defend our state!!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Also wanted to add, don’t know the names of Kams QBs or who the starter will be. But one of them looked like he was trying real hard to throw straight to the Kapolei defense. Funny because 2 went straight to the defense with no receiver near by, but on the third one it was finally picked off. Weird instance of qb trying to throw a pick but Db didn’t want it lol. I’m sure that’s the guy that will NOT be the starting qb for Kam.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

The Iolani v. Waipahu game replay is on YouTube and it definitely is interesting. Iolani ran like a 4-2-5 defense but only one of the lineman had his hand in the ground while the other three were stood up. Seems they just have a lot of speed. But yeah Waipahu came out throwing. I only counted one run between the tackles in the first quarter and he gained a good 4-5 yds on it, but they were already down 14-0. Every other run was off-tackle or a counter (or for some reason, a pitch option on 4th and short) and Failauga would try to bounce it outside and got eaten alive, including one that he lost the ball on. The next times they ran up the middle (or at least bounced to the inside), Failauga gained a good 6 yards, 5 yards, and 4 yards, but the score was already 45-0, then later that drive the QB Marques tried to scramble outside on a pass play but then was stripped.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

A lot of people are ripping our defense, but our biggest problem against Kahuku might've been our O-line.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Gaaaaaame Daaaaaay ! Let’s Gooooooo!!!!!

We will see a lot more of Delaura’s game tonight. He will be put in bad spots, he won’t be able to simply shred the defense and score with 1-2 plays.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Wow just read that Narbonne has all these 4 star players, 2 corners, left tackle, running back, d tackle, receiver, and will still get steamrolled by a team like Mater Dei or Bosco. Cali is a giant state but it’s amazing how much talent and the level of the mainland schools.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Score should’ve been 47-0 that TD from the fake Fg was no good.

DA SCOUT
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by DA SCOUT »

genks wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:36 am Gaaaaaame Daaaaaay ! Let’s Gooooooo!!!!!

We will see a lot more of Delaura’s game tonight. He will be put in bad spots, he won’t be able to simply shred the defense and score with 1-2 plays.
Ah he shred um in 2-3 the boy is the real deal
Would have been first play but Wilson dropped the ball!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

DA SCOUT wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:47 pm
genks wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:36 am Gaaaaaame Daaaaaay ! Let’s Gooooooo!!!!!

Ah he shred um in 2-3 the boy is the real deal
Would have been first play but Wilson dropped the ball!
Yeah Wilson very rarely drops the ball. He had 6 points in his hands. But they all played well tonight, huge relief. I was pretty nervous for them coming into this game. They are so big, and they can execute on their plays.

Defense looked naaaasty, the poor Narbonne qb got abused from the 1st team defense.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I would like to say, lots of talk about how Narbonne lost lots of starters to graduation, others can’t play due to transfer rules, etc etc.

STL lost enough players to granduation for people here to favor Punahou to win the ILH, and even rank STL under Kam.

Not being able to use transfers is the same here in Hawaii, except in the ILH you sit a whole year not 5 weeks. Delaura could’ve gotten reps from last year in we didn’t have that rule.

The Narbonne coach said the qb that played tonight is in tight competition with the transfer for the starting job. He specifically said he’s not just bringing over a backup. Now in post game interviews he apparently named the transfer as the starter

Yes Narbonne didn’t look as good as last year. We also made less mistakes on defense. Narbonne got torn up through the air, but STL also put some rushing yards and TDs up..... with an actual RB. Coach Cal and Coach Ron are also very good at rematches. If the 1st game is close or a loss, they tend to win the second game comfortably.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I can only imagine Kahuku is trying to give St.Louis no reliable film to study for their game. I don't see the Red Raiders coming out throwing the ball when they play the Crusaders. It's Kahuku football.Pound the rock.Keep at it.Take shots in the air when you can.Capitalize on turnovers the defense is going to get for you.

Kinda doubt St.Louis is going to be fooled.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I thought Punahou rebounded nicely. Kapolei could only score on the reserves.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:50 am I thought Punahou rebounded nicely. Kapolei could only score on the reserves.
Our 1st team defense did struggle to tackle at least 5 times but didn't break.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Kapolei doesn't look good at all so far this season, especially on O. As far as which teams are in the discussion as top contenders in the Open division, this win doesn't really move the needle much at all for Punahou, IMO. They got smoked by Kahuku so let's see how they do against St. Louis and Mililani. Maybe Campbell, too, but we don't know how good they are right now, either.