unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by unpaid »

Mater Dei beat St.John Bosco for the Southern Section D-I title ....this was after losing to the Braves 41-18 in the regular season. Mater Dei made some adjustments ,and now will face whoever comes out of the playoffs in Northern California for the Open Division championship. Concord De La Salle is the likely opponent,unless they get tripped up in their next game.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

LOL someone was whining on HPW 😁😁😁

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:07 am
Neighbor wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:46 am Nobody looks good under constant pressure. Colt Brennan got killed by Georgia's D-line but you can't say he was still one of the best QBs to play.

I think Mililani was put out of their comfort zone and panicked, even against Campbell. They're used to scoring fast and big. I thought those games against Kahuku were good examples of staying calm and collected and having sustained grind-it-out drives. Of course against Saint Louis, you think that you need to score with every opportunity you get or else it's lost.

But hard to really say that when you're going up a very good team. Saint Louis leaves a lot to be desired as in, that's it? This is the end of the season already? Wish that game would've happened against Gorman or Bosco or whoever they were supposed to have played. Just wish we could see more from this team but that's just how it is sometimes.
Would've loved to see SLS take on Mater Dei.
I think with this years team of Crusaders, who was the best defensive group in the last 4 years, is still a different level from MD. The Bishop Gorman game would’ve been interesting because they were clearly not on the Bosco, MD level either. They look like college teams when they play.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:04 am LOL someone was whining on HPW 😁😁😁
All they do is whine. I bet most of those are 1 or 2 people just with different user names.

Also some mililani fan (if it wasn’t just some troll) said the refs need to call things both ways. That’s hilarious.

He also said it wasn’t a route. Blocked punts and your qb panicking and dropping the ball are not flukes. Also the score was closer because Coach Cal is nice. In some games he even pulled the starters in the beginning of the second quarter. We knew he would not just run it up. But sometimes I wish he would, because other teams would gladly do it to us

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:03 pm Had Iolani kept on playing D2 football and won a state title, that would've made me feel the need to drink and make Ozzy Osbourne blush. But thankfully, wins by UH FB and BB (over teams that tormented in us those respective sports) and Mater Dei in CA will help me handle this disappointment easily.
@gopunahou: You like Mater Dei? Why? Also, now that football season is over and basketball has already begun pre-season games/tourneys, you're going to watch your alma mater beat St Louis. I mean, I'll be backing St Louis against Punahou, but that doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure Punahou will beat St Louis.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:58 am Post game.....

I hate to sound like a poor sport. But rod York will leave starters in even while crushing opposing teams in the 4th quarter. He will also run plays till time is up instead of taking a knee. Now this is perfectly legal. But a part of me wishes Coach Cal would’ve left his foot on the gas, seeing as how it’s tye last game many for the seniors and it’s the state championship. We were killing clock almost the entire 4th quarter.

Gabriel was shell shocked. He got sacked something like 9 times. The play where he fumbled the ball, Herbig was flying in off the edge, Gabriel saw him and didn’t know if he wanted to drop to the ground or throw it away, which resulted in a fumble. The guy everyone calls best an in the state panicked and just dropped the ball. The pass rush was in his face all night. He started hearing footsteps after a while. He needed to find that dog.

Mililani’s defense played well. They gave our offense a lot of trouble. The DBs covered really well. They also read our runs and option plays well. The option is usually money but they stopped it.

Malepeai played really tough and refused to go down. That was impressive.

On offense I think Delaura needs to grow as a passer. The run game was very successful but our passing took a step back from last year. We need to tighten that up.
Especially if they will push again for a game against Bishop Gorman next year.

Our defense killed it all year. At times they were more fun to watch than the offense. Not sure how our D line will look next year, but our LB group will be really strong and young. I’ve seen them get reps and they look good.

Special teams allowed too much. 2 fake punts for TDs, and 2 kicks returned for TDs. That’s nuts.

I enjoyed this format, getting to play all the teams in the open. Congrats to everyone on their seasons.

2nd straight undefeated season, streak of games with defensive TDs, 3rd straight state championship with 3 different qbs. Not bad for a team with less all state returnees than Punahou, Kam, mililani and kahuku
@genks: Obviously, it's not how many all-state returnees you have; it's how good the all-state returnees you have, are. Also, Cal has shown a lot of class. Yes, he could have run-up the score, but he showed that he wasn't about to stoop to that level. If York runs-up the score, well, shame on him. It's also a bad reflection on Mililani High, since that team represents them. Really, genks, who cares how much your alma mater wins by, as long as they win? Even if St Louis had won by only 1 point, they're still State Open champs. Guys could say whatever they want, but after they've done talking, that win would still be a win. As soon as the game ended, the point-spread was academic.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:52 pm
genks wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:58 am Post game.....

I hate to sound like a poor sport. But rod York will leave starters in even while crushing opposing teams in the 4th quarter. He will also run plays till time is up instead of taking a knee. Now this is perfectly legal. But a part of me wishes Coach Cal would’ve left his foot on the gas, seeing as how it’s tye last game many for the seniors and it’s the state championship. We were killing clock almost the entire 4th quarter.

Gabriel was shell shocked. He got sacked something like 9 times. The play where he fumbled the ball, Herbig was flying in off the edge, Gabriel saw him and didn’t know if he wanted to drop to the ground or throw it away, which resulted in a fumble. The guy everyone calls best an in the state panicked and just dropped the ball. The pass rush was in his face all night. He started hearing footsteps after a while. He needed to find that dog.

Mililani’s defense played well. They gave our offense a lot of trouble. The DBs covered really well. They also read our runs and option plays well. The option is usually money but they stopped it.

Malepeai played really tough and refused to go down. That was impressive.

On offense I think Delaura needs to grow as a passer. The run game was very successful but our passing took a step back from last year. We need to tighten that up.
Especially if they will push again for a game against Bishop Gorman next year.

Our defense killed it all year. At times they were more fun to watch than the offense. Not sure how our D line will look next year, but our LB group will be really strong and young. I’ve seen them get reps and they look good.

Special teams allowed too much. 2 fake punts for TDs, and 2 kicks returned for TDs. That’s nuts.

I enjoyed this format, getting to play all the teams in the open. Congrats to everyone on their seasons.

2nd straight undefeated season, streak of games with defensive TDs, 3rd straight state championship with 3 different qbs. Not bad for a team with less all state returnees than Punahou, Kam, mililani and kahuku
@genks: Obviously, it's not how many all-state returnees you have; it's how good the all-state returnees you have, are. Also, Cal has shown a lot of class. Yes, he could have run-up the score, but he showed that he wasn't about to stoop to that level. If York runs-up the score, well, shame on him. It's also a bad reflection on Mililani High, since that team represents them. Really, genks, who cares how much your alma mater wins by, as long as they win? Even if St Louis had won by only 1 point, they're still State Open champs. Guys could say whatever they want, but after they've done talking, that win would still be a win. As soon as the game ended, the point-spread was academic.
I know I was just poking fun at unpaid because he said he ranked The Crusaders 5th based on all state returnees.

Coach Cal also seems to be pretty friendly with rod York so I know he wouldn’t run the score up against hkm

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@genks: Yes, I remembered that post, but I forgot that it was made by unpaid. I was even going to mention it in response to what you said about all-state returnees, but I didn't want to bother going back to see who had posted it. unpaid, please don't take offense. You have a right to your own way of assessing things.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

So what's the review of what was supposed to be the greatest year in Hawaii high school sports?

There was a lot of great regular season matchups on Oahu especially in D1. Having six teams in D2 state tournament was good. For D1, I would have liked to see the two Oahu teams on opposite sides of the bracket but oh well. Unfortunately, most casuals/alumni only care about the Open Division and not nearly as fun with St Louis dominating everyone. We saw some good games with the interleague games, but idk. I wish it was more even all around. Of course Farrington, Waianae, and Kapolei had down years and could easily be good again any other season, but St Louis is just so damn good.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:22 pm So what's the review of what was supposed to be the greatest year in Hawaii high school sports?

There was a lot of great regular season matchups on Oahu especially in D1. Having six teams in D2 state tournament was good. For D1, I would have liked to see the two Oahu teams on opposite sides of the bracket but oh well. Unfortunately, most casuals/alumni only care about the Open Division and not nearly as fun with St Louis dominating everyone. We saw some good games with the interleague games, but idk. I wish it was more even all around. Of course Farrington, Waianae, and Kapolei had down years and could easily be good again any other season, but St Louis is just so damn good.
@Neighbor: OK, any idea how good Kahuku will be next year?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Interesting, the Honolulu Advertiser votes Mililani over Punahou by 7 votes. Punahou crushed mililani @ mililani by 20 about 20 points.

I guess Punahou had more losses but 2 of them were to STL, who also handled mililani. That must give Punahou a much tougher schedule to play Kam and STL twice.

Also interesting that Campbell was right behind Kahuku. If it wasn’t for the league merger, Kahuku and Campbell would’ve tied, both best everyone in OIA except for mililani and they split 1 win a piece over each other. But kahuku had the early win over Punahou which clearly puts them above Campbell.

I want to give respect to Punahou, our league mates. They have what I consider the best offense in the state. Brady did a great job and the receivers are fantastic. Muasau stepped up and played hard and played well, next man up.

Not to discredit anyone, but it is a shame that with Punahou being either #2 or #3, didn’t get a crack at the tournament that supposedly was the 4 best teams fighting for the title.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:31 pm
Neighbor wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:22 pm So what's the review of what was supposed to be the greatest year in Hawaii high school sports?

Looking into my crystal ball, I foresee you ditching the trojan T-shirt and once again raising the red raider flag.

I have zero clue who mililani’s next qb is.he could be a killer. They do lose a huge chunk of their team next season.

kahuku returns a large part of theirs. The jv team looked big and physical. I’m sure they will pull a bunch of those guys up.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:51 pmLooking into my crystal ball, I foresee you ditching the trojan T-shirt and once again raising the red raider flag.

I have zero clue who mililani’s next qb is.he could be a killer. They do lose a huge chunk of their team next season.

kahuku returns a large part of theirs. The jv team looked big and physical. I’m sure they will pull a bunch of those guys up.
There've been rumors that Kobe (our backup QB) could transfer to Mililani.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:19 pm
genks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:51 pmLooking into my crystal ball, I foresee you ditching the trojan T-shirt and once again raising the red raider flag.

There've been rumors that Kobe (our backup QB) could transfer to Mililani.
Wow very interesting. I was going to comment on him sitting out a season but I just remembered that he’s eligible right away. I wonder how the next guy up is at mililani. Muasau must be pretty confident that he would win that battle. Unless of course the transfer is due to financial reasons. We’ve contributed starters to other schools due to financial reasons.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:31 pm

Kahuku has a good amount of returnees coming back (Saovao, Matagi, Howlett-Soliai, Zion Ah You, Fonoimoana Bros, Aveau and Kaniho. The COACHING is another story, but they should compete again. But than again the offseason should be exciting, you never know who transfers back to Kahuku and who Transfers out. It would be nice to see Sol Jay Maiava transfer back for his Senior Season.

Campbell is really young and should have a good core coming back with the Freshman QB Hipa, Lactoen, Adkins-Kupukaa, Tauai, Tafai and the Mokiao-Atimalala Bros.

Punahou looks good with Hugh Brady returning with Terrell, Eldredge, Dancil-Evans and Moeai anchoring the O-Line. On defense they have the Freshman Tafiti coming back along with Gilman. Heard they will be traveling down to California for the Honor Bowl.

Mililani, I don't really know too much besides Kady, Pilanca coming back on defense. Also, Hill on offense Kobe Muasau transferring is an interesting rumor.

Waipahu seems to making a lot of noise since winning it's D1 state championship, it will be interesting to see if they moved up to OPEN

with that being said. I don't see anyone beating St. Louis, They have so much coming back on Offense and Defense. They're back to there Power House days in the 90's. Cal Lee probably schedule some Mainland competition for there resume. Delaura, Wilson, Sykes and Nishigaya should be fun to watch. Jordan Botelho is probably the most exciting defensive player I've seen in a while. Botelho and Herbig is going to wreck havoc.

Can't wait for the offseason