unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by genks »

Neighbor wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:49 am
genks wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:16 pm Going back to Mililani vs Campbell, does anyone know why Campbell took 2 timeouts in a row? All the refs were discussing something also
DJ was mad they never call 12 men in the huddle on the previous play
Ah ok thanks. I saw at the stadium wondering what was going on

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:02 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:54 pm
genks wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:49 am Post game thoughts

The Crusader defense played well, add 2 more to the long list of defensive TDs for the year. This group on defense is definitely special. They will face their toughest test coming up. Well, either toughest or equal to Punahou. Yes Muasau was the qb but he looked very good and Coach Ane is an excellent coach who game plans well.

On offense, for some reason they haven’t attacked the middle much. Always throwing quick outs is dangerous. Our defense keys in on that and has picked off a bunch of those. Kahuku came very close a few times. We haven’t been running many crossing routes. Punahou kills with those. I’d like to see us do the same.

The run game has been really fun to watch and very effective. Draws, traps, options, all working well. They should’ve done more option stuff with Chevan, he was fast as lightning. Jayden not as fast but a smart and shifty runner.

TURNOVERS. NO MORE FUMBLES!!!! NO MORE BLIND THROWS INTO DOUBLE COVERAGE!!!

Special teams, geez. That is 2, yes 2 kids returned for TDs this season! Omg NO MORE!!! I always say you need the touchback against Kahuku, very important. Kahuku always has lots of dangerous returners, and they are the best at blocking. No more fake punt TDs, no more kick return TDs.

Here we go!!! 1 more game!!
@genks: I wouldn't worry about kickoff-return TDs. Your alma mater will win even if they allow one every game. The only close games were Kapolei and Punahou, and in the Kapolei game DeLaura wasn't playing. As for blind throws into double-coverage, well, Mililani does have some good DBs. But again, I don't think it's going to change the outcome of next week's game.
Can’t count Mililani out. They are fast on both offense and defense. They are a veteran team and can put up lots of points
@genks: I doubt that Mililani's speed can compensate for every other advantage St Louis has. Besides, St Louis has speed of its own. One of their receivers is the fastest receiver in the state.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:49 am
genks wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:16 pm Going back to Mililani vs Campbell, does anyone know why Campbell took 2 timeouts in a row? All the refs were discussing something also
DJ was mad they never call 12 men in the huddle on the previous play
@Neighbor: Yeah. Johnson made a big stink about that non-call in the papers, too.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:18 am I think this is the biggest gap between one team and everybody else since 1988. Yes, St. Louis fielded monster teams in 1994 and 1998. They also challenged the best two OIA teams (1994 and 1998 Kahuku) that year, along with a formidable 1994 Punahou team. The fact that St. Louis played some tough teams in '94 and beat them makes me think that that team is the greatest HS football team in Hawaii history.
@gopunahou: Well, yeah, you pretty-much have to give them that. Not only did/does St Louis have the best team in state history; they also had the longest streak of Prep Bowl / State titles: '86 to '98. I'm not happy to say all that, as I don't particularly like St Louis School. But, it is what it is. It would be nice if Mililani could make St Louis eat humble pie by beating them, but it's probably not going to happen. Guess we gotta brace ourselves for our "St Louis School root canal."

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Koa trophy time,

D-I Hilo vs.Waipahu,

Waipahu can be beaten. Four losses this year attest to that.On the other hand,Hilo had to replace a lot of starters this year.The Vikings still ran the table after getting smashed in their opener against Campbell. Hilo is the one program ,non-Oahu, that could compete if dropped into the OIA-ILH alliance. Waipahu for the Koa.

Open St.Louis vs. Mililani,

I am looking at a cash register score in this game. The Crusaders are pretty good at shutting down opposing QB'S.The problem they have is that Mililani has a good fleet of receivers themselves,so a lot of those LB's are going to find themselves in pass coverage instead of trying to get to Gabriel. Should be a good chess match between two coaching staffs who can make in game adjustments for the players to execute. St.Louis for the Koa.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:46 am Koa trophy time,

D-I Hilo vs.Waipahu,

Waipahu can be beaten. Four losses this year attest to that.On the other hand,Hilo had to replace a lot of starters this year.The Vikings still ran the table after getting smashed in their opener against Campbell. Hilo is the one program ,non-Oahu, that could compete if dropped into the OIA-ILH alliance. Waipahu for the Koa.

I am looking at a cash register score in this game. The Crusaders are pretty good at shutting down opposing QB'S.The problem they have is that Mililani has a good fleet of receivers themselves,so a lot of those LB's are going to find themselves in pass coverage instead of trying to get to Gabriel. Should be a good chess match between two coaching staffs who can make in game adjustments for the players to execute. St.Louis for the Koa.
@unpaid: Well, Hilo is as good as some of the schools here on Oahu, but I don't think they could handle Open. Yeah, if Hilo were here on Oahu, they most certainly would be D1 here. As for Waipahu, they have to do something about those penalties; that looked really bad in the Iolani game. Regarding St Louis: How good is their secondary? If they can't cover Mililani's receivers, I don't think the LBs will be quick enough to cover them, especially when they also have to worry about Gabriel taking-off with the ball.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:22 pm
unpaid wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:46 am Koa trophy time,

D-I Hilo vs.Waipahu,

@unpaid: Well, Hilo is as good as some of the schools here on Oahu, but I don't think they could handle Open. Yeah, if Hilo were here on Oahu, they most certainly would be D1 here. As for Waipahu, they have to do something about those penalties; that looked really bad in the Iolani game. Regarding St Louis: How good is their secondary? If they can't cover Mililani's receivers, I don't think the LBs will be quick enough to cover them, especially when they also have to worry about Gabriel taking-off with the ball.
Out of curiosity how many times have you seen mililani and STL play this season?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I hope Mililani uses more motivation and takes on a “win one for McKenzie” approach.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Typical St. Louis things happening tonight to add to an awful week for Mililani. Blocked punts and turnovers in SLS territory. Who hasn't played SLS and felt the frustration of when those things happen?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Had Iolani kept on playing D2 football and won a state title, that would've made me feel the need to drink and make Ozzy Osbourne blush. But thankfully, wins by UH FB and BB (over teams that tormented in us those respective sports) and Mater Dei in CA will help me handle this disappointment easily.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Post game.....

I hate to sound like a poor sport. But rod York will leave starters in even while crushing opposing teams in the 4th quarter. He will also run plays till time is up instead of taking a knee. Now this is perfectly legal. But a part of me wishes Coach Cal would’ve left his foot on the gas, seeing as how it’s tye last game many for the seniors and it’s the state championship. We were killing clock almost the entire 4th quarter.

Gabriel was shell shocked. He got sacked something like 9 times. The play where he fumbled the ball, Herbig was flying in off the edge, Gabriel saw him and didn’t know if he wanted to drop to the ground or throw it away, which resulted in a fumble. The guy everyone calls best an in the state panicked and just dropped the ball. The pass rush was in his face all night. He started hearing footsteps after a while. He needed to find that dog.

Mililani’s defense played well. They gave our offense a lot of trouble. The DBs covered really well. They also read our runs and option plays well. The option is usually money but they stopped it.

Malepeai played really tough and refused to go down. That was impressive.

On offense I think Delaura needs to grow as a passer. The run game was very successful but our passing took a step back from last year. We need to tighten that up.
Especially if they will push again for a game against Bishop Gorman next year.

Our defense killed it all year. At times they were more fun to watch than the offense. Not sure how our D line will look next year, but our LB group will be really strong and young. I’ve seen them get reps and they look good.

Special teams allowed too much. 2 fake punts for TDs, and 2 kicks returned for TDs. That’s nuts.

I enjoyed this format, getting to play all the teams in the open. Congrats to everyone on their seasons.

2nd straight undefeated season, streak of games with defensive TDs, 3rd straight state championship with 3 different qbs. Not bad for a team with less all state returnees than Punahou, Kam, mililani and kahuku

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Also forgot to add, that mililani fg was impressive. 44 yards I think he could’ve hit a 48-60 yard fg.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Nobody looks good under constant pressure. Colt Brennan got killed by Georgia's D-line but you can't say he was still one of the best QBs to play.

I think Mililani was put out of their comfort zone and panicked, even against Campbell. They're used to scoring fast and big. I thought those games against Kahuku were good examples of staying calm and collected and having sustained grind-it-out drives. Of course against Saint Louis, you think that you need to score with every opportunity you get or else it's lost.

But hard to really say that when you're going up a very good team. Saint Louis leaves a lot to be desired as in, that's it? This is the end of the season already? Wish that game would've happened against Gorman or Bosco or whoever they were supposed to have played. Just wish we could see more from this team but that's just how it is sometimes.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Final 2018 rank,

1.St.Louis 11-0 Kudos to the Crusaders. Open Division champs.Defense was the driver for this team.
2.Mililani 10-3
3.Punahou 7-3
4.Campbell 8-5
5.Kahuku 7-5
6.Waipahu 10-4 Kudos to the Marauders. D-I champs .Move up one spot with the win.
7.Hilo 9-2 drop one spot with the loss.Impressive to get back to the title game with the player turnover.
8.Iolani 8-3
9.Moanalua 8-1
10.Leilehua 8-3

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Neighbor wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:46 am Nobody looks good under constant pressure. Colt Brennan got killed by Georgia's D-line but you can't say he was still one of the best QBs to play.

I think Mililani was put out of their comfort zone and panicked, even against Campbell. They're used to scoring fast and big. I thought those games against Kahuku were good examples of staying calm and collected and having sustained grind-it-out drives. Of course against Saint Louis, you think that you need to score with every opportunity you get or else it's lost.

But hard to really say that when you're going up a very good team. Saint Louis leaves a lot to be desired as in, that's it? This is the end of the season already? Wish that game would've happened against Gorman or Bosco or whoever they were supposed to have played. Just wish we could see more from this team but that's just how it is sometimes.
Would've loved to see SLS take on Mater Dei.