unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by genks »

kanakattack wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:41 pm
genks wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:13 am
Markeke wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:38 am The name of the game in the OPEN division is surviving injuries. So using reserves is a must. At the end of the game, a win is a win. I hear " it would have been a blowout if coach left the starters in"? Why? All your best players perform at high speed. They get hurt. Every team in the Open have hitters. Off subject, I've always said Punahou has the most brutal road schedule in the Open.
I’m not saying that it would’ve been a blowout if the starters stayed in. The part I thought was silly was the end. They literally emptied the bench in the last drive Kapolei scores, recovers onside kick. Now the starters gotta come back in to prevent OT. That’s a crappy position to be put in for the starters. They were cooling off, mentally relaxing, then get thrown back in.
This is entirely inaccurate. After watching the game on OC16, during Kapolei RB Ezekiel Waiolama's 2 touchdown runs, the only St. Louis starter that was out on defense was Tuitele, and he was banged up and re-entered the game with a taped up shoulder. Numbers 1, 2 , 6, 11, 12, 15, 19, 44, 56, and 94 were in the game.
The 2 TD runs wasn’t the last drive

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I hope this week we see a Crusader squad that is fired up and excited to play hard.

ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

genks wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:22 pm I hope this week we see a Crusader squad that is fired up and excited to play hard.
So what's the scoops on DeLaura? Is he out for a while due to a throwing shoulder injury? That's the word on the street right now. Crusaders should dominate Campbell regardless of having their starting QB or not though. Should be exciting to watch, well at least the beginning part.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:33 am
genks wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:22 pm I hope this week we see a Crusader squad that is fired up and excited to play hard.
So what's the scoops on DeLaura? Is he out for a while due to a throwing shoulder injury? That's the word on the street right now. Crusaders should dominate Campbell regardless of having their starting QB or not though. Should be exciting to watch, well at least the beginning part.
Not sure to be honest, haven’t heard any updates.

Coach Cal claims that Jayden could’ve played against Kapolei if he needed to, but don’t know how true that is.

This last stretch of games, Kapolei, Campbell and Kam, is trickier that it looks on paper. Stretches like this is what makes Nick Saban great. You gotta stop the kids from drinking the cool aid. They beat Punahou and Kahuku, they should roll Kapolei up right? Well Kapolei came to play. They should cruise to a win against Campbell right? Well I’ll bet they are coming to play also. I hope to see a fired up, nasty, angry Crusader defense. I hope that defense is upset with their performance last week and are going to take it out on Campbell. Campbell can put up some points in no time if the defense gets caught slippin.

Hope Jayden is good or getting there. Apo couldn’t make use of all the weapons on offense due to limited throwing ability. But it’s great for his development to play entire games

teamhawaii
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

St. Louis has so much depth they should be alright. I'm fine with Cal Lee playing his 2nd and 3rd stringers as long as it doesn't bite them in the arse. They're back ups are getting a lot of experience and players need to rest up especially since this merger. Hope DeLaura heals up.

Campbell has that brutal schedule of Mililani, Punahou, St. Louis and Kahuku. Definitely has the talent but still looks like Coach DJ has some more pieces he needs to add.

Looking forward for the Mililani/Kahuku game. Should be good, even though some of the hype has died down. I feel like this should be the last premium game until we head to OIA/ILH Championships. Would like to see how Kahuku's offense looks like with there new OC. Looks like there going back to more of traditional Kahuku I Formation and than your occasional shot gun on 3rd down.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

teamhawaii wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:56 pm St. Louis has so much depth they should be alright. I'm fine with Cal Lee playing his 2nd and 3rd stringers as long as it doesn't bite them in the arse. They're back ups are getting a lot of experience and players need to rest up especially since this merger. Hope DeLaura heals up.

Campbell has that brutal schedule of Mililani, Punahou, St. Louis and Kahuku. Definitely has the talent but still looks like Coach DJ has some more pieces he needs to add.

Looking forward for the Mililani/Kahuku game. Should be good, even though some of the hype has died down. I feel like this should be the last premium game until we head to OIA/ILH Championships. Would like to see how Kahuku's offense looks like with there new OC. Looks like there going back to more of traditional Kahuku I Formation and than your occasional shot gun on 3rd down.
Yes getting everyone playing time is important for future success and Coach Cal is a believer in that.

Interesting that Kahuku is going back to the I. Last 2 coaches made it a point to try and balance out the offense with more passing. Many fans had commented that they wanted that change as well. It’s tough tho, the move towards more passing was built around having Sol-Jay. I remember reading that he had talked about leaving had they not given him more passing plays. Well I guess as long as you have a big strong line, run and play action should work.

It’s so hard to pick against Kahuku even when the opponent is a high scoring Mililani team. Although both teams lost only a few players to graduation last year. I keep saying this, but Gabriel MUST lead this Mililani team to the OIA title MINIMUM. He’s started so many years, they return a large majority of the team from last year. This is like Tua needing a state title to put a stamp on his high school playing career. But Kahuku is a squad of dogs that have no quit. I think I will watch this one live depending where it is.

teamhawaii
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

genks wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:21 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:56 pm St. Louis has so much depth they should be alright. I'm fine with Cal Lee playing his 2nd and 3rd stringers as long as it doesn't bite them in the arse. They're back ups are getting a lot of experience and players need to rest up especially since this merger. Hope DeLaura heals up.

Yes getting everyone playing time is important for future success and Coach Cal is a believer in that.

Interesting that Kahuku is going back to the I. Last 2 coaches made it a point to try and balance out the offense with more passing. Many fans had commented that they wanted that change as well. It’s tough tho, the move towards more passing was built around having Sol-Jay. I remember reading that he had talked about leaving had they not given him more passing plays. Well I guess as long as you have a big strong line, run and play action should work.

It’s so hard to pick against Kahuku even when the opponent is a high scoring Mililani team. Although both teams lost only a few players to graduation last year. I keep saying this, but Gabriel MUST lead this Mililani team to the OIA title MINIMUM. He’s started so many years, they return a large majority of the team from last year. This is like Tua needing a state title to put a stamp on his high school playing career. But Kahuku is a squad of dogs that have no quit. I think I will watch this one live depending where it is.
Kahuku implemented that pistol offense with Sol Jay and towards the end of the season it was working. But when he left, they tried to keep it with Alapa and Sauvao. It doesn't fit there style.

This I Back should be more balanced and suiting for there personell that they have. They have 2 good TE's that they need to use and spread the carries out to 3-4 (Alo-Maiava, Lefau, Matagi) different RB's back when Livai was coaching.

As long as they don't go back that Elephant package via 2015. They abused Kesi Ah Hoy that season and now he's retired.

Dillon Gabriel is a gamer. It's going to be a sad to see him go after this season. Only thing that he didn't have that Mckenzie Milton had in 13-15 was a Malepeai and Timoteo.

I believe these 2 will meet again in the OIA Championship.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

One question about Campbell FB: is Sky Lactaoen the son of former UH hoopster Jimmy Lactaoen?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliner games,

No.1 St.Louis and No.6 Campbell,

The Sabers might be wishing they had one clear QB starter and
several weeks of offensive continuity going into this game .If they had done so,Campbell might get as close as Kapolei did to the Crusaders last week. I don't believe Campbell gets close to Kapolei's numbers against St. Louis.Crusaders for the win by a comfortable margin.

No.2 Punahou and No.8 Kamehameha,

Kamehameha's defense has been the most consistent part of their play this year. The offense is continuing to develop,and I think the running game is almost where it needs to be. QB play is improving but it is nowhere near where OC Fred Salanoa would like it to be. Meanwhile, Punahou has a pretty good defense to go along with QB Hugh Brady and the Pun offense. I think the Warriors endure more growing pains this week in a loss to Punahou.

No.3 Kahuku and No.4 Mililani,

Kahuku seemingly are going back to their ground and pound running football roots. If the Red Raiders go for 200-300 rush yards,Mililani probably doesn't win this game Kahuku for the win.

No.7 Leilehua and No.10 Waipahu,

Both teams air out the football,but have rushers who can get the ground yards as well. Waipahu has been in D-II the past two years,while Leilehua has had varying degrees of success in D-I.Leilehua, to me is the more battle-tested squad

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

My concern about Kahuku is picking a surefire QB. They’ll need one against SLS. I’d hate to see them struggle with the same issue we had in 2007—where we couldn’t settle on a quarterback until the end of the season.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:41 pm My concern about Kahuku is picking a surefire QB. They’ll need one against SLS. I’d hate to see them struggle with the same issue we had in 2007—where we couldn’t settle on a quarterback until the end of the season.
I believe Sauvao is the QB. Alapa got some quality time starting the StL.game. If Kahuku is lucky enough to go to the championship game, imagine Alapa and Sauvao in the backfield together. So many trick plays. On another note, be interesting to see if Cal starts deLaura@campbell. Strict rule,no running. Too bad the Mililani vs. StL. didn't happen.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kahuku,Mililani,Campbell, and Kapolei might be the OIA playoff teams in the Open. St.Louis looks too strong to doubt they take the ILH playoff. Still have to play it out.

There is a logjam In BIIF D-I. Hilo,Waiakea, and Kealakehe are all 3-1. I figure Hilo will come out of that bunch to defend their D-I title.

Damien and Iolani are still fighting it out for the ILH D-I lead. When I look at their performances,Iolani is consistently playing smart football and making few mistakes.Damien also gets bottom line results,but they can look ugly doing it sometimes. I think Iolani gets the ILH D-I slot for states.

Moanalua,Leilehua,Waipahu,and Castle are in good position for getting to the OIA D-I playoffs.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Mililani 14, Kahuku 0 2nd Quarter
As tempting as it is to envision a Mililani victory, I can’t do it. Mililani could easily collapse like a house of cards like they did against STL last year. Kahuku could also easily go on a run like they did against us at the beginning of the year.

Regardless of that, it’s shocking that Mililani’s passing offense is humming, considering the wet field conditions and mid, as well as occasional rain.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:26 pm Mililani 14, Kahuku 0 2nd Quarter
As tempting as it is to envision a Mililani victory, I can’t do it. Mililani could easily collapse like a house of cards like they did against STL last year. Kahuku could also easily go on a run like they did against us at the beginning of the year.

Regardless of that, it’s shocking that Mililani’s passing offense is humming, considering the wet field conditions and mid, as well as occasional rain.
I’m stuck at the mall so I can’t watch the game till I get home and watch my recording. But reading play by play and their previous game against us, it seems like Kahuku are sort of in limbo offense wise. They aren’t really committing to establishing the run and playing the possession game. They aren’t fully committing to a passing offense because that’s not their identity. They are trying to find balance but maybe balance isn’t where they are truely comfortable.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:21 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:26 pm Mililani 14, Kahuku 0 2nd Quarter

I’m stuck at the mall so I can’t watch the game till I get home and watch my recording. But reading play by play and their previous game against us, it seems like Kahuku are sort of in limbo offense wise. They aren’t really committing to establishing the run and playing the possession game. They aren’t fully committing to a passing offense because that’s not their identity. They are trying to find balance but maybe balance isn’t where they are truely comfortable.
They don't need complete balance, but they can't afford a situation like 2004 and 2008 (and the championship game of 2016), where they did nothing but run. Did those seasons end in state championships? I know 2008 didn't. :D