The Really Big Games!

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

The Really Big Games!

Post by SM96753 »

8/31 Mililani @ Bellflower St. John Bosco (Ranked #1 in the nation according to MaxPreps)

8/17 Harbor City (CA) Narbonne (#24 MaxPreps) @ Honolulu St. Louis (#12 MaxPreps)

I give the Trojan's all the credit on the planet for taking on a Braves team that is absolutely loaded! On August 31st, I will be your biggest fan!

The St. Louis Crusaders...defenders of Hawaii high school football's reputation! For decades, we have seen them go up against some of the nation's elite! One of the most respected prep football programs in America! Do not let anyone come to our state and push us around!

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: The Really Big Games!

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Not a Mililani fan and definitely not a York fan, but I will be cheering them on. I think the Trojan O will have some success; I don't see the Trojan D being able to last 4 quarters against SBJ (too much firepower).

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

This may seem rather mean-spirited, but I'm neutral when it comes to Hawaii teams taking-on mainland teams. I was born and raised in Hawaii, but there are certain schools here in Hawaii that I don't want to see strutting-around because they beat a strong mainland team. I don't give a rat's butt about any mainland schools, so whether those mainland schools win or not doesn't matter to me at all. There's only one Hawaii school that I care about besides my alma mater, and that's Kahuku. Even with Kahuku, though, I don't really care whether they beat a strong mainland school or not. My concern is that Kahuku not suffer any injuries in the process, because I want them beating certain Oahu schools. For me, those wins are all that matter. As far as I'm concerned, mainland schools can kiss our bottoms.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:14 pm This may seem rather mean-spirited, but I'm neutral when it comes to Hawaii teams taking-on mainland teams. I was born and raised in Hawaii, but there are certain schools here in Hawaii that I don't want to see strutting-around because they beat a strong mainland team. I don't give a rat's butt about any mainland schools, so whether those mainland schools win or not doesn't matter to me at all. There's only one Hawaii school that I care about besides my alma mater, and that's Kahuku. Even with Kahuku, though, I don't really care whether they beat a strong mainland school or not. My concern is that Kahuku not suffer any injuries in the process, because I want them beating certain Oahu schools. For me, those wins are all that matter. As far as I'm concerned, mainland schools can kiss our bottoms.
That's not surprising. I didn't really think you were a "Fanatic" anyway.

I personally enjoy seeing a school from Hawaii ranked nationally in the Wednesday edition of the USA Today. Our schools won't get the national recognition that they deserve without proving themselves against mainland competition. It brings great notoriety to our schools in Hawaii that we play a very good brand of football out here. Playing against and beating mainland teams also brings valuable exposure to our players for potential college scholarships. That's according to Rich Miano. Hearing Rob Demello starting his KHON2 sports segment with the phrase, "The nationally ranked Crusaders were in action tonight......" is music to my ears.

It's always great to test your skills against the best competition out there. That's one of the key factors in self and team improvement. That's why you will always hear coaches like Lee, York, Torres, Livai, etc...ALWAYS saying how excited they are for the opportunity to play a team from the mainland.

High school football on a national scale is no longer about just playing your crosstown rival. It has grown into an entity that is much larger. That's why networks like ESPN and Fox Sports pay tens of thousands of dollars to televise a "Texas vs. Florida" or a "California vs. Ohio" matchup. They would not broadcast these games on television if there were no market or no interest.

High school football has evolved with out of state matchups getting huge interest. Maybe you should think about coming out of your little shell and evolve too? Don't be afraid.

You stated, "There's only one Hawaii school that I care about besides my alma mater, and that's Kahuku." Two questions: 1. Why Kahuku? and 2. What's your alma mater? It's OK if your high school had no football team so you feel the need to ride on the coattails of the Red Raiders.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

SM96753 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:04 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:14 pm This may seem rather mean-spirited, but I'm neutral when it comes to Hawaii teams taking-on mainland teams. I was born and raised in Hawaii, but there are certain schools here in Hawaii that I don't want to see strutting-around because they beat a strong mainland team. I don't give a rat's butt about any mainland schools, so whether those mainland schools win or not doesn't matter to me at all. There's only one Hawaii school that I care about besides my alma mater, and that's Kahuku. Even with Kahuku, though, I don't really care whether they beat a strong mainland school or not. My concern is that Kahuku not suffer any injuries in the process, because I want them beating certain Oahu schools. For me, those wins are all that matter. As far as I'm concerned, mainland schools can kiss our bottoms.
That's not surprising. I didn't really think you were a "Fanatic" anyway.

I personally enjoy seeing a school from Hawaii ranked nationally in the Wednesday edition of the USA Today. Our schools won't get the national recognition that they deserve without proving themselves against mainland competition. It brings great notoriety to our schools in Hawaii that we play a very good brand of football out here. Playing against and beating mainland teams also brings valuable exposure to our players for potential college scholarships. That's according to Rich Miano. Hearing Rob Demello starting his KHON2 sports segment with the phrase, "The nationally ranked Crusaders were in action tonight......" is music to my ears.

It's always great to test your skills against the best competition out there. That's one of the key factors in self and team improvement. That's why you will always hear coaches like Lee, York, Torres, Livai, etc...ALWAYS saying how excited they are for the opportunity to play a team from the mainland.

High school football on a national scale is no longer about just playing your crosstown rival. It has grown into an entity that is much larger. That's why networks like ESPN and Fox Sports pay tens of thousands of dollars to televise a "Texas vs. Florida" or a "California vs. Ohio" matchup. They would not broadcast these games on television if there were no market or no interest.

High school football has evolved with out of state matchups getting huge interest. Maybe you should think about coming out of your little shell and evolve too? Don't be afraid.

You stated, "There's only one Hawaii school that I care about besides my alma mater, and that's Kahuku." Two questions: 1. Why Kahuku? and 2. What's your alma mater? It's OK if your high school had no football team so you feel the need to ride on the coattails of the Red Raiders.
@SM96753: Oh, rest assured, I am a fanatic, but only for Oahu football. Perhaps I should change my User Name to, "OHS Football Fanatic." I invite you to look at all the posts I've made about (Oahu) high school football on this message-board over the past four years or so, and you'll be able to come to no other conclusion than that I am indeed an (Oahu) high school football fanatic. As I posted earlier, I simply don't give a rip about mainland schools. And, I'm not sure it's a matter about my being in my "little shell"; again, I simply have no interest in mainland football. It's not about "evolving," either.

Another guy on this message-board has been trying to learn which school is my alma mater. I posted that my alma mater sucks, and that quite frankly I'm too embarrassed to say. I also said that if I reveal my alma mater, doing so might taint my objectivity when I post. The guy called me, "small," a "hypocrite," and something else I can't remember. I said, "guilty as charged." Now, about Kahuku: I'm not really "riding on the coattails" of Kahuku. All it is is that I genuinely like that school. I like them because they don't rip-off most of the league titles and state titles every year, like a certain school in the ILH. I'm talking about all sports, not just football. They're also not "scholastically arrogant," like two schools in the ILH. There seems to be nothing I dislike about Kahuku High. What I also like is that--almost perennially--they are good enough in football to pose a legitimate threat to two schools in the ILH that I don't particularly care for.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

These Out of State games are really big in terms of putting Hawaii High School Football on a National Scale. I'm all for it and support any Hawaii teams.

I think St. Louis should take care of Narbonne. Narbonne has a strong team coming back and it should be a good game. But I'll take the home field advantage.

I admire Mililani taking up the challenge and playing St. John Bosco. Maxpreps has them as the #1 team in the nation. Rod York definitely enjoys playing out of state game Liberty (NV), Clayton Valley Charter (CA) & St. John Bosco (CA). Hopefully they can make it some what respectable, but yeah Bosco should have it easy.

I got Kapolei beating Downey, even though Kapolei has never traveled to the mainland. Campbell should beat that Arizona team. But I do think Carson should beat Farrington in the Polynesian Classic in Vegas.

It's sad bc Mainland teams won't travel to Hawaii unless it's For Sure win against a easy opponent (Look at Mission Viejo vs. Baldwin) or if they say "Let's just go to Hawaii and get some experience (Look at Carson vs. Kamehameha '17, Liberty (NV) vs. St. Louis '15)

Look at the Oregon team playing Iolani. There in the highest division in Oregon 6A and out of all the teams in Hawaii they play Iolani? I can see why, There football program saves up all that money, Parents fundraise all that money just to go to Hawaii and lose?

Long Beach Poly was supposed to come this year to Hawaii and play Kahuku but when Antonio Pierce left to Arizona State it went away. New coach for Poly said he had to get his staff in order and it just fell off. Trinity in Texas was opened to the idea to play Kahuku but only if they met halfway. Polynesian Classic was an ideal spot for them to meet up but Kahuku said they were burnt out from going to Vegas in 2 years in a row playing Bishop Gorman and Bingham. I don't blame them. A lot of mainland people joke around about Kahuku losing in the mainland but when was the last time you seen a mainland team come to Hawaii to play Kahuku?

2006 when Narbonne (CA) came to play Kahuku and the score was 27-0. I got a lot respect for the Narbonne Football program, they're not scared and will step up to any challenge.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@teamhawaii: That's why I say playing mainland schools is for the birds. If they want to come here only when they're certain to win, then ta heck with them. I simply don't care what mainland schools think of Hawaii prep football; to me, Hawaii prep football is all I need. I don't care about putting Hawaii prep football on the map. For me, Hawaii IS the map. So let's suppose mainland prep football is better. Well, I don't care.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:05 pm Another guy on this message-board has been trying to learn which school is my alma mater. I posted that my alma mater sucks, and that quite frankly I'm too embarrassed to say. I also said that if I reveal my alma mater, doing so might taint my objectivity when I post. The guy called me, "small," a "hypocrite," and something else I can't remember. I said, "guilty as charged." Now, about Kahuku: I'm not really "riding on the coattails" of Kahuku. All it is is that I genuinely like that school. I like them because they don't rip-off most of the league titles and state titles every year, like a certain school in the ILH. I'm talking about all sports, not just football. They're also not "scholastically arrogant," like two schools in the ILH. There seems to be nothing I dislike about Kahuku High. What I also like is that--almost perennially--they are good enough in football to pose a legitimate threat to two schools in the ILH that I don't particularly care for.
I didn't say you were being "small", I said you were being "weak" haha. And I didn't say you were a hypocrite, I said what you were saying was hypocritical. Important difference. You continuously spout how you feel players should play for their home-district high school or Hawaii players should stay home and play for UH instead of accepting scholarships to bigger, better mainland schools, but you won't even do something as simple and harmless as tell us what high school you graduated from.

And not revealing your alma mater because you don't want to "taint your objectivity when you post" is a bunch of horseshit. Almost every post you make is viewed through Red Raider-tinted glasses. The last two seasons when they failed to win the state championship you said multiple times that they "should've" won and that St. Louis only won because of luck or a couple of fluky plays. St. Louis may not have been way better than Kahuku the past two seasons, but the gap was enough that it should've been clear to most objective fans watching the game that they were, in fact, the better team -- especially last season. And this is coming from a hardcore OIA fan.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:53 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:05 pm Another guy on this message-board has been trying to learn which school is my alma mater. I posted that my alma mater sucks, and that quite frankly I'm too embarrassed to say. I also said that if I reveal my alma mater, doing so might taint my objectivity when I post. The guy called me, "small," a "hypocrite," and something else I can't remember. I said, "guilty as charged." Now, about Kahuku: I'm not really "riding on the coattails" of Kahuku. All it is is that I genuinely like that school. I like them because they don't rip-off most of the league titles and state titles every year, like a certain school in the ILH. I'm talking about all sports, not just football. They're also not "scholastically arrogant," like two schools in the ILH. There seems to be nothing I dislike about Kahuku High. What I also like is that--almost perennially--they are good enough in football to pose a legitimate threat to two schools in the ILH that I don't particularly care for.
I didn't say you were being "small", I said you were being "weak" haha. And I didn't say you were a hypocrite, I said what you were saying was hypocritical. Important difference. You continuously spout how you feel players should play for their home-district high school or Hawaii players should stay home and play for UH instead of accepting scholarships to bigger, better mainland schools, but you won't even do something as simple and harmless as tell us what high school you graduated from.

And not revealing your alma mater because you don't want to "taint your objectivity when you post" is a bunch of horseshit. Almost every post you make is viewed through Red Raider-tinted glasses. The last two seasons when they failed to win the state championship you said multiple times that they "should've" won and that St. Louis only won because of luck or a couple of fluky plays. St. Louis may not have been way better than Kahuku the past two seasons, but the gap was enough that it should've been clear to most objective fans watching the game that they were, in fact, the better team -- especially last season. And this is coming from a hardcore OIA fan.
@bandits1: Yes, you are the guy who cast aspersions on me. Now that I've had some time to think about, if I recall correctly, you called me a "wimp," too. If what I say is hypocritical, doesn't that by definition make me a hypocrite? I don't see any difference; the former implies the latter. What seems to have escaped your notice is that I'm a UH alumnus; I've mentioned that fact a few times in my posts. So, as a UH alumnus, I'm assuming I'm "cleared" to encourage blue-chip players to attend UH. Granted, it wouldn't kill me to reveal my high-school alma mater, but you apparently haven't noticed an important distinction: This section of sportshawaii.com is, "High School Sports." That is one reason I wish not to reveal my high school alma mater: It hits too close to this particular section on sportshawaii.com, and I know it will taint my objectivity, because then I'd feel compelled to treat my high school alma mater with kid gloves. So, having explained my position further, is it still "a bunch of horseshit" to you? Now, I give you credit for having the gonads to have revealed your alma mater: Pearl City High. But, may I ask gently: As an alumnus, does using the term, "horseshit" reflect well on your alma mater? Just asking. At the same time, I'd like to hold-up the example of gopunahou, who--like you-- has had the guts to reveal his alma mater. While I'm quite OK with Pearl City High, I do not care for Punahou School. Yet throughout the years, I've noticed that gopunahou has always posted as a gentleman, and has never lit into me with insulting language, even though I keep expressing my dislike of his alma mater. I recall that, over the years, on several occasions I've posted to gopunahou that while I dislike his alma mater, as an alumnus his gentlemanly interactions with me are a credit to that school. It's hard not to respect a guy like gopunahou.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:30 pm @bandits1: Yes, you are the guy who cast aspersions on me. Now that I've had some time to think about, if I recall correctly, you called me a "wimp," too. If what I say is hypocritical, doesn't that by definition make me a hypocrite? I don't see any difference; the former implies the latter. What seems to have escaped your notice is that I'm a UH alumnus; I've mentioned that fact a few times in my posts. So, as a UH alumnus, I'm assuming I'm "cleared" to encourage blue-chip players to attend UH. Granted, it wouldn't kill me to reveal my high-school alma mater, but you apparently haven't noticed an important distinction: This section of sportshawaii.com is, "High School Sports." That is one reason I wish not to reveal my high school alma mater: It hits too close to this particular section on sportshawaii.com, and I know it will taint my objectivity, because then I'd feel compelled to treat my high school alma mater with kid gloves. So, having explained my position further, is it still "a bunch of horseshit" to you? Now, I give you credit for having the gonads to have revealed your alma mater: Pearl City High. But, may I ask gently: As an alumnus, does using the term, "horseshit" reflect well on your alma mater? Just asking. At the same time, I'd like to hold-up the example of gopunahou, who--like you-- has had the guts to reveal his alma mater. While I'm quite OK with Pearl City High, I do not care for Punahou School. Yet throughout the years, I've noticed that gopunahou has always posted as a gentleman, and has never lit into me with insulting language, even though I keep expressing my dislike of his alma mater. I recall that, over the years, on several occasions I've posted to gopunahou that while I dislike his alma mater, as an alumnus his gentlemanly interactions with me are a credit to that school. It's hard not to respect a guy like gopunahou.
Again, asking me if I feel using the term "horseshit" reflects poorly on my alma mater, yet you're so ashamed of yours that your won't even tell us what school it is -- that's weak. You did say you were ashamed of your alma mater in a past post, did you not? It's not just about keeping your "objectivity", I believe you've said that something about your alma mater embarrassed you, right? I'm guessing it's the athletic program, but who knows since you won't say.

Anyway, I've said many times that my alma mater is Pearl City, yet I've called them out for not moving up to D1 in the past and especially for not moving up now that the powerhouse schools have moved up to the Open division. A school that large really, really shouldn't be playing in D2. I'd guess that if they took a vote amongst the players, playing in D1 as opposed to D2 would be the overwhelming choice.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:08 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:30 pm @bandits1: Yes, you are the guy who cast aspersions on me. Now that I've had some time to think about, if I recall correctly, you called me a "wimp," too. If what I say is hypocritical, doesn't that by definition make me a hypocrite? I don't see any difference; the former implies the latter. What seems to have escaped your notice is that I'm a UH alumnus; I've mentioned that fact a few times in my posts. So, as a UH alumnus, I'm assuming I'm "cleared" to encourage blue-chip players to attend UH. Granted, it wouldn't kill me to reveal my high-school alma mater, but you apparently haven't noticed an important distinction: This section of sportshawaii.com is, "High School Sports." That is one reason I wish not to reveal my high school alma mater: It hits too close to this particular section on sportshawaii.com, and I know it will taint my objectivity, because then I'd feel compelled to treat my high school alma mater with kid gloves. So, having explained my position further, is it still "a bunch of horseshit" to you? Now, I give you credit for having the gonads to have revealed your alma mater: Pearl City High. But, may I ask gently: As an alumnus, does using the term, "horseshit" reflect well on your alma mater? Just asking. At the same time, I'd like to hold-up the example of gopunahou, who--like you-- has had the guts to reveal his alma mater. While I'm quite OK with Pearl City High, I do not care for Punahou School. Yet throughout the years, I've noticed that gopunahou has always posted as a gentleman, and has never lit into me with insulting language, even though I keep expressing my dislike of his alma mater. I recall that, over the years, on several occasions I've posted to gopunahou that while I dislike his alma mater, as an alumnus his gentlemanly interactions with me are a credit to that school. It's hard not to respect a guy like gopunahou.
Again, asking me if I feel using the term "horseshit" reflects poorly on my alma mater, yet you're so ashamed of yours that your won't even tell us what school it is -- that's weak. You did say you were ashamed of your alma mater in a past post, did you not? It's not just about keeping your "objectivity", I believe you've said that something about your alma mater embarrassed you, right? I'm guessing it's the athletic program, but who knows since you won't say.

Anyway, I've said many times that my alma mater is Pearl City, yet I've called them out for not moving up to D1 in the past and especially for not moving up now that the powerhouse schools have moved up to the Open division. A school that large really, really shouldn't be playing in D2. I'd guess that if they took a vote amongst the players, playing in D1 as opposed to D2 would be the overwhelming choice.
@bandits1: Yes, I am ashamed of my alma mater because its athletic program sucks. I think I did mention that in the past. You call that "weak," and perhaps it is. Now, I'm not about to stoop so low as to make the kids who are currently attending that school feel bad. The kids at that school can't feel bad about what I'm saying about their school, because they don't know which school I'm talking about; I haven't named it. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. If I were to reveal my alma mater, then I'd feel constrained to watch what I post about it, for its current students' sake. Isn't that a constraint on objectivity? So here, embarrassment and objectivity are related, right?

Despite the fact that you seem bent on casting aspersions on me and indicting me, I'm willing to give you credit for revealing your alma mater, Pearl City. Yes, you are stronger than I, if weakness means not being willing to reveal one's alma mater. I would add, also, that if I did reveal my alma mater, I certainly would feel constrained to be careful about the kind of language I use online, and how I treat other posters. That's because other people might judge my alma mater based on how I, an alumnus, carry myself online. In that sense, a guy like gopunahou is a good example of someone reflecting well on his alma mater. He's pretty careful about his language, and I don't see him attacking or chiding other posters very often. He's the kind of person that one feels comfortable interacting with online. Is that a good reflection on his alma mater? I think so. So, at least in that sense, gopunahou is honoring his alma mater. I think he should be given credit for that. I do not like Punahou School at all, but nonetheless that school did produce alumnus gopunahou, who is a true gentleman online.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Waianae almost always starts the season slow, which makes me think that next week's game against SLS could be a 50-point loss. As for Waipahu, they'll face a big test next week with Iolani, which looks much better than last year. Waipahu will play one of the few ILH-OIA games on an ILH field, which kind of gives an Iolani an advantage.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:36 pm Waianae almost always starts the season slow, which makes me think that next week's game against SLS could be a 50-point loss. As for Waipahu, they'll face a big test next week with Iolani, which looks much better than last year. Waipahu will play one of the few ILH-OIA games on an ILH field, which kind of gives an Iolani an advantage.
@gopunahou: Waianae is going to get killed. I mean, if Waipahu blew them out, imagine what St Louis will do. If I were a Waianae alumnus, I wouldn't even go to the game. As for Waipahu v Iolani, I totally back Waipahu. To me, there's not much to dislike about Waipahu High, but I have grievances and resentments about Iolani School. Now, if Waipahu's missing players would get their acts together and get off academic probation, maybe Waipahu can give Iolani a good game. I'm not too impressed about any home-field advantage Iolani might have. Football fields have the same dimensions, and the same rules of the game apply. I think it's important that Waipahu's D be just as tough against Iolani as it was against Waianae. I don't know how Waipahu's D will handle Iolani's pass game, though. Waipahu's DC has his hands full. One obvious advantage Waipahu's O has is RB Failauga. He's one of the best RBs in the state, in either division. Waipahu's O-line needs to fire-out and kick the butts of Iolani's D-line, and let Failauga work his magic. I'm assuming that Waipahu's O-line has a size advantage over Iolani's D-line.