Way too early top ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Re: Way too early top ten

Post by teamhawaii »

Did they change the ILH Transfer Rules? I seen Damien - Keoua Kauahi and Roosevelt - Marcus Hee transfer to Saint Louis. Both of who are going to be Seniors ‘19 next year. Wouldn’t they have to sit?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:02 pm Got a feeling Kahuku will dedicate this season to Kona Schwenke and try to win states for him!
@gopunahou: Well, I think your alma mater has a legit shot at States, too, based on its returnees. I think that in the ILH, they'll give St Louis all they can handle. They might even beat St Louis, but I'm hoping not.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:23 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:36 pm
genks wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:33 pm

Yes the Hawaii State Championship is the big prize.

But on the national level, this is a rematch between 2 championship teams, both fought their hearts out last time.

Really, Kahuku coming for revenge isn’t really news because they usually take the OIA title, usually pretty easily, which guarantees a spot in the state title picture. ILH only gets 1 representative so STL aren’t even guaranteed to meet Kahuku in the semis or finals.
@genks: So ILH Open is back to only one representative again? Well, if that's the case, I want St Louis to be that rep. I.e., I back St Louis against Punahou, but not against Kahuku. Also, will Kahuku take OIA Open easily? I don't know; I think Mililani will give them a good rub. Between Kahuku and Mililani, I prefer Kahuku, and I'm talking about Kahuku as a school, not the football team per se. After all, a high school football team represents its school. I don't think of a high school football team as a stand-alone entity.
Yeah this year Mililani will probably challenge Kahuku, but......

A. That Kahuku defense, well you don’t need me to remind you. Gotta beat them ALL 4 quarters which leads to my next point

B. Mililani seems like they implode when the opposing team makes adjustment, such as Kahuku and ST Louis. Mililani led both and gave up big points in the 2nd half of both games.

Gabriel needs to find that dog in him and bring it out of his team also. Tell you what Kahuku is nothing but dogs, big, strong, fast dogs that 100% believe and fight till the clock runs to zero. Gabriel needs to match that and lead his team to match that. Very difficult.

No one else has a prayer in the OIA to beat Kahuku. I do not care who is transfering to Campbell. Kapolei will not have a strong roster, and still couldn’t get it done when they had a championship caliber team. Not Waianae, not Leilehua, etc etc
@genks: Yeah, I agree with just about everything you said. I don't really want to encourage Mililani, because there's only one school I want them to beat: Punahou. I'd rather have St Louis than Mililani. For me, the question is: Is it possible that we'll see a Punahou v Mililani State Open title game? You'd think not, right? You'd think that Kahuku would be in that game. I asked the question because, again, I can support Mililani only if/when they play Punahou. If they're playing any other school, I'm with that other school. Doesn't matter if it's in regular season or in States.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:49 am Narbonne-St.Louis should be another epic battle this year. I checked out the Gaucho's Twitter page. There are already about five or six guys by my count with D-I offers. The interesting thing is that most of those players being recruited are juniors and one sophomore. The Crusaders should have the edge in Senior leaders for this matchup.
@unpaid: Something tells me senior leadership might not matter; not when Narbonne has juniors and sophomores being recruited. I'd imagine that if St Louis hopes to win that game, it might come down to St Louis' defensive front-seven and O-line. It goes without saying, of course, that QB De Laura also has to be as good as advertised so far on this message-board.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:08 pm [quote=unpaid post_id=589159 time=1529239771
@unpaid: Something tells me senior leadership might not matter; not when Narbonne has juniors and sophomores being recruited. I'd imagine that if St Louis hopes to win that game, it might come down to St Louis' defensive front-seven and O-line. It goes without saying, of course, that QB De Laura also has to be as good as advertised so far on this message-board.
[/quote]
I think Narbonne takes this one. Their receiving Corp is tight. Stl.secondary is not as experienced as last year. Narbonne has speed burners. Probably by choice that Stl.opens in Waianae. Gives them the opportunity to throw it around.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I still think Narbonne-St.Louis could be another close game.Both squads are having to break in new starters at QB. Rising junior Jayden DeLaura is getting the hype as St.Louis' next great field general. Of course,Ron and Cal are going to evaluate in summer camp before the Waianae season opener. We will see.

That sophomore I mentioned earlier for Narbonne...that is rising sophomore QBJake Garcia,who already holds an offer from USC. Still,Jalen Chatman ,last year's Gaucho QB,is on his way to Rutgers and I'm pretty sure Coach Douglas is also going to evaluate his returnee QB'S in summer camp too...so we will see if Garcia can likewise win the starting job for his team.
QB play is pretty important, and both sides are going to have new guys who are going to have to be the leader this fall.

Still a toss-up to me.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:12 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:08 pm [quote=unpaid post_id=589159 time=1529239771
I think Narbonne takes this one. Their receiving Corp is tight. Stl.secondary is not as experienced as last year. Narbonne has speed burners. Probably by choice that Stl.opens in Waianae. Gives them the opportunity to throw it around.
[/quote]

@Markeke: Come to think of it, I now prefer that Narbonne win. That may sound uncool, for a Hawaii guy to root for a non-Hawaii school. But, I don't want St Louis to win that game, and then have momentum against whichever Oahu school is next, unless that Oahu school is Mililani. When does St Louis play Narbonne? Is it right before they play Waianae? I'm rooting for Waianae over St Louis. Did St Louis choose to open against Waianae? How can schools choose who they start against? Also, you've revealed one of St Louis' weaknesses: Their secondary. Might that cause them problems against Mililani, which may very well be as pass-oriented as St Louis?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 pm I still think Narbonne-St.Louis could be another close game.Both squads are having to break in new starters at QB. Rising junior Jayden DeLaura is getting the hype as St.Louis' next great field general. Of course,Ron and Cal are going to evaluate in summer camp before the Waianae season opener. We will see.

That sophomore I mentioned earlier for Narbonne...that is rising sophomore QBJake Garcia,who already holds an offer from USC. Still,Jalen Chatman ,last year's Gaucho QB,is on his way to Rutgers and I'm pretty sure Coach Douglas is also going to evaluate his returnee QB'S in summer camp too...so we will see if Garcia can likewise win the starting job for his team.
QB play is pretty important, and both sides are going to have new guys who are going to have to be the leader this fall.

Still a toss-up to me.
@unpaid: Seems that Narbonne clearly has the advantage at QB. I mean, they've got a sophomore who already has an offer from Southern Cal. If St Louis' secondary is a weakness, then St Louis' defensive front-seven is going to have a major challenge on its hands. All in all, sounds like advantage Narbonne to me.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Well,Garcia is a sophomore who has an offer from USC,but don't get too carried away by that.

Sol-Jay Maiava had an offer from Michigan as a middle-schooler,and was surrounded by Kahuku level talent. He didn't play on a state championship team the two high school years he played on the Rock.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:37 pm Well,Garcia is a sophomore who has an offer from USC,but don't get too carried away by that.

Sol-Jay Maiava had an offer from Michigan as a middle-schooler,and was surrounded by Kahuku level talent. He didn't play on a state championship team the two high school years he played on the Rock.
@unpaid: Well, part of the problem is probably that Kahuku isn't a pass-oriented school. Imagine how much better Maiava might have done at Narbonne.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

We will get a chance to see what he does at that DC high school he's at for 2018-2019 school year!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:55 pm
unpaid wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:37 pm Well,Garcia is a sophomore who has an offer from USC,but don't get too carried away by that.

@unpaid: Well, part of the problem is probably that Kahuku isn't a pass-oriented school. Imagine how much better Maiava might have done at Narbonne.
People state returning Kahuku receivers as a strength for this coming year, it’s not like Soljay didn’t have targets. They made a real effort to balance out the offense. You can’t say Soljay didn’t win a state title because the personnel was lacking.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:10 pm We will get a chance to see what he does at that DC high school he's at for 2018-2019 school year!
DO you happen to know what the qb situation is like there? I wonder if the battle for the starting job will be tough, or do they have a strong qb already, or is Soljay expected to be able to start?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 pm I still think Narbonne-St.Louis could be another close game.Both squads are having to break in new starters at QB. Rising junior Jayden DeLaura is getting the hype as St.Louis' next great field general. Of course,Ron and Cal are going to evaluate in summer camp before the Waianae season opener. We will see.

Still a toss-up to me.
They also had a big strong RB last year. Fast also. I don’t remember his name nor do I know if he graduated. But he was a problem.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:11 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:55 pm

People state returning Kahuku receivers as a strength for this coming year, it’s not like Soljay didn’t have targets. They made a real effort to balance out the offense. You can’t say Soljay didn’t win a state title because the personnel was lacking.
@genks: True, but can you imagine Kahuku staying in the air for most of a game? That would be like St Louis staying on the ground for most of a game. Some things just kind of don't happen, for whatever reason. Clearly Kahuku could have thrown the ball more, but it simply doesn't seem to be in their DNA. Probably because they run the ball so well, it's like, why pass, even though you can?