Way too early top ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Way too early top ten

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:53 pm Kamehameha's passing yards will come from the same type of player St. Louis' rushing yards will come from. That would be from someone who is going to replace last year's graduates. Someone will break out but I don't know who it will be. I do think that Kam has a little better balance in returning starters than STL does. In the end both teams will likely be looking up at Punahou. Anyways,each team can show us what they are capable of....so show me when the season begins.
@unpaid: Well, I'm not sure about someone "breaking-out" for Kamehameha at QB. I mean, sure, someone will break-out as the best QB the school has, but how good will he be in absolute terms? Seeing as Kamehameha has no quality RB but does have quality receivers, it may well be that they'll throw more than run, this coming season. That would be unusual for Kamehameha. But, a school has to go with the players it has, play with the hand it's dealt, so to speak.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Yeah, so I have Kahuku at 1,Mililani at 2, Punahou 3, St.Louis 4, Kamehameha 5, Campbell,Kapolei,Farrington and Waipahu. Because of the crossover schedule, I have a feeling the Top 10 will fluctuate constantly. Very interested for ILH end of season "champion" pick. It might get sketchy.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:05 pm Yeah, so I have Kahuku at 1,Mililani at 2, Punahou 3, St.Louis 4, Kamehameha 5, Campbell,Kapolei,Farrington and Waipahu. Because of the crossover schedule, I have a feeling the Top 10 will fluctuate constantly. Very interested for ILH end of season "champion" pick. It might get sketchy.
@Markeke: What makes you rank Mililani ahead of Punahou? Is it because of Gabriel and that big RB? I'm not challenging you; I'm glad you rank Mililani ahead of Punahou, as I don't particularly care for Punahou School. I'm just trying to solidify my hopes. Also, I'm not so sure that the ILH champ will be "sketchy"; I suspect it will be Punahou (unfortunately). I suspect Punahou would beat both St Louis and Kamehameha head-to-head.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:11 pm
Markeke wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:05 pm Yeah, so I have Kahuku at 1,Mililani at 2, Punahou 3, St.Louis 4, Kamehameha 5, Campbell,Kapolei,Farrington and Waipahu. Because of the crossover schedule, I have a feeling the Top 10 will fluctuate constantly. Very interested for ILH end of season "champion" pick. It might get sketchy.
@Markeke: What makes you rank Mililani ahead of Punahou? Is it because of Gabriel and that big RB? I'm not challenging you; I'm glad you rank Mililani ahead of Punahou, as I don't particularly care for Punahou School. I'm just trying to solidify my hopes. Also, I'm not so sure that the ILH champ will be "sketchy"; I suspect it will be Punahou (unfortunately). I suspect Punahou would beat both St Louis and Kamehameha head-to-head.
I believe Mililani''s offense can put up big numbers. All their defense gotta do is make some stops. I believe Mililani is ahead of Punahou offensively. As far as "sketchy", the ILH will use a overall win/lost record to determine their champion. So a head to head ILH match up game might be moot. It will be determined on overall record.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:10 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:11 pm
I believe Mililani''s offense can put up big numbers. All their defense gotta do is make some stops. I believe Mililani is ahead of Punahou offensively. As far as "sketchy", the ILH will use a overall win/lost record to determine their champion. So a head to head ILH match up game might be moot. It will be determined on overall record.
@Markeke: OK, Mililani can certainly pass, and possibly run, the ball. But what about their D? How good is their D? And, regarding head-to-head play in ILH D1, well, supposedly the overall won-loss record should reflect head-to-head matchups, right? I.e., if Punahou can beat St Louis and Kamehameha head-to-head, they should end-up with a better overall won-loss record, assuming that all three ILH D1 schools play the same OIA D1 schools. I'm counting on Kahuku and Mililani to prevent Punahou from taking the state Open title. Punahou might very well have the ILH D1 (Open?) title sewn-up.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:14 pm
unpaid wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:25 pm Tua could throw for 300 and rush for 100 a game. Cordeiro was just a little less productive but was still a skilled passer and a dangerous runner. Both guys ,to me were true dual- threat QB'S. And they were the run game for the Crusaders the last three years. St.Louis has been fortunate. Are they going to hit the jackpot with the next QB? I don't think the odds are in their favor having The next QB being like his two immediate predecessors .

Leilehua also had a good run at QB with Moniz,Manley,Jenks,Sadanaga,but eventually it ends and there has to be some balance ,otherwise,what 's left? When you haven't developed any running backs and you get a QB who is not a dual threat ,then that's a problem. Still need a ground game and when you can't get it from your QB like you have been accustomed to,then where are the ground yards coming from. They have to come from somewhere because,without Tagovailoa and Cordeiro's rushing yards,I don't think the Crusaders have those last two state titles.

It 's not just the QB odds,they lost a lot of OL also. I notice they have Kahuku and Mililani early too.

Well,when the season begins,I go by wins and losses,no matter what my preseason rank is. St.Louis ,like any other team,can prove me wrong by winning out.
@unpaid: You've made an excellent point that I failed to consider. St Louis' recent QBs have been not only outstanding passers, but runners as well, making them in effect good RBs. Excellent point. And, seeing as St Louis will have lost a lot of O-linemen, that's something that genks has to consider as well. After all, a QB and an RB are only as good as their O-line. We'll have to see how well St Louis does early against Kahuku and Mililani. Talk about an acid test. St Louis will find-out very quickly how they measure-up, going up against those two schools.
When was the last time stl had a good ground game? Maybe the late 90's or early 2000's. They'll continue to air it out and let their qbs scramble and create something. Not sure if this seasons qb can run, but I've been hearing that he's a pretty good athlete. I agree that stl should probably be ranked maybe 3 or 4 preseason, they lost a whole grip of senior talent. But 1 place where they return quite a few players will be up front on the O and D lines. That'll probably be the strength with guys like tuitele, quinones, McKenzie, felisi on D. And Mose and Scott on O. with the new schedule, I think the key will be staying healthy and team depth. Kahuku and punahou are my front runners. It'll be a good one!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:29 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:14 pm
unpaid wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:25 pm Tua could throw for 300 and rush for 100 a game. Cordeiro was just a little less productive but was still a skilled passer and a dangerous runner. Both guys ,to me were true dual- threat QB'S. And they were the run game for the Crusaders the last three years. St.Louis has been fortunate. Are they going to hit the jackpot with the next QB? I don't think the odds are in their favor having The next QB being like his two immediate predecessors .

Leilehua also had a good run at QB with Moniz,Manley,Jenks,Sadanaga,but eventually it ends and there has to be some balance ,otherwise,what 's left? When you haven't developed any running backs and you get a QB who is not a dual threat ,then that's a problem. Still need a ground game and when you can't get it from your QB like you have been accustomed to,then where are the ground yards coming from. They have to come from somewhere because,without Tagovailoa and Cordeiro's rushing yards,I don't think the Crusaders have those last two state titles.

It 's not just the QB odds,they lost a lot of OL also. I notice they have Kahuku and Mililani early too.

Well,when the season begins,I go by wins and losses,no matter what my preseason rank is. St.Louis ,like any other team,can prove me wrong by winning out.
@unpaid: You've made an excellent point that I failed to consider. St Louis' recent QBs have been not only outstanding passers, but runners as well, making them in effect good RBs. Excellent point. And, seeing as St Louis will have lost a lot of O-linemen, that's something that genks has to consider as well. After all, a QB and an RB are only as good as their O-line. We'll have to see how well St Louis does early against Kahuku and Mililani. Talk about an acid test. St Louis will find-out very quickly how they measure-up, going up against those two schools.
When was the last time stl had a good ground game? Maybe the late 90's or early 2000's. They'll continue to air it out and let their qbs scramble and create something. Not sure if this seasons qb can run, but I've been hearing that he's a pretty good athlete. I agree that stl should probably be ranked maybe 3 or 4 preseason, they lost a whole grip of senior talent. But 1 place where they return quite a few players will be up front on the O and D lines. That'll probably be the strength with guys like tuitele, quinones, McKenzie, felisi on D. And Mose and Scott on O. with the new schedule, I think the key will be staying healthy and team depth. Kahuku and punahou are my front runners. It'll be a good one!!
@Dog 96707: Yeah, that was probably when St Louis had Fuamatu-Maafala at RB. But, you have Punahou at what, #2? What about Mililani? One guy has Mililani ahead of Punahou. How would you respond to that, and why? (I'm asking because I'd like to know whether I can hold-out hope that Mililani can beat Punahou.)

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

To respond to the question of how the ILH is going to pick it's Open champ from the Big three,I believe that the ILH is going on the basis of choosing the ILH school with the best record against all the Open teams in the regular season.

THe OIA,bless their little noggins, still want to have a OIA playoff. The OIA is going to have their eventual three teams in Open states beat up each other for a second time,while the ILH rep rests up and watches.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 4:36 pm To respond to the question of how the ILH is going to pick it's Open champ from the Big three,I believe that the ILH is going on the basis of choosing the ILH school with the best record against all the Open teams in the regular season.

THe OIA,bless their little noggins, still want to have a OIA playoff. The OIA is going to have their eventual three teams in Open states beat up each other for a second time,while the ILH rep rests up and watches.
@unpaid: Isn't that stupid of the OIA? I want either Kahuku or Mililani to take the state Open title. I think I know why the OIA wants a playoff: To get more money from the ticket booth. If that's correct, then it's all about the money, not about trying to give the OIA champ the best shot against the ILH champ.

808FBRecruits
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808FBRecruits »

I haven’t really thought of a preseason ranking yet, but I am happy that we won’t have to wait until the playoffs to see how the teams talent will work itself out.

2 Cents:

Kahuku:

-Yes, they reload, every year. But how does the attrition this year affect their play. A third HC in as many years- albeit from in-house, and the star QB gone. Alapa has been a good backup, but I don’t know if we see the same confidence in slinging the ball around as we saw last season. Hopefully, Wes Maiava stays healthy and can combo with Lefau for a thunder/lightning run game, with Vimahi leading the OLine. Lokana Enos needs more opportunities pass catching.
-On defense, they lose upfront with Reed and Siilata graduating, Tupuola has gotten a lot of offseason offers and Tausili Fiatoa again returns to offer much needed play making ability upfront. Ah You is the stud on D, he’s up to 220 lbs and is an absolute beast. Look for JL Lavea, Aaron Fonoimoana-Vaomu, and Alan Talanoa to make big strides this season at LB (would love to see Lefau back at LB too). The defensive backfield is STACKED: Kaniho is a boss back there with returnees Emerson, Fonoimoana-Vaomu, Aveau, and Buju, if he’s returning? Big plus to have these kind of young and experienced DBs... passing games only got better with the addition of the ILH and these kids are the difference makers at DB that can only be rivaled to Punahou personel wise.

STL:
-They are the reigning back-to-back state champions. Their attrition: Cordeiro, Panoke, Quinn, 3/5 OL, Purcell, Feary, Taliulu, Tufaga, and Moore. Their up-and-comers: QB Jayden deLaura, WR Matt Sykes, LB Mason Tufaga, OLB Jordan Botelho, OLB Nick Herbig, DT Stanley Mckenzie, DB Kamo’i Latu. Not to mention returning the best defensive line in the state with Tuitele, Quinones, and Filisi.
-Big question surrounds their QB, Jayden deLaura, but from what I gather from his preseason performances last season and his offseason development in mainland camps... kid can ball. In the ILH which will start three new starting QBs, I put this one at the top. Will be huge matchups against both Kahuku and Punahou, with very good DBs. One thing the top teams will have is depth, St. Louis and Kahuku both rule in that category.

Punahou
-They return the big boys on the offensive line, Duke Clemens, Blake Feigenspan, and Solatoa Moeai highlight the best returning OLine this year. They will start the season with a QB competition between Hugh Brady, Nui Adolpho, and JV starter Kobe Muasau. Returning on offense, their own thunder and lightning RBs Sitiveni Kaufusi and Vincent Terrell, with dynamic WR Tamatoa Falatea.
-Defense, they return a bevy of studs: Maninoa Tufono, Marist Liufau, Kaulana Makaula, Alakai Gilman, and Kennedy Freeman. However they lose a lot from graduation too... namely two big defensive lineman in Motu’apuaka and Fakatoumafi. Looking for someone to fill that role upfront. I want to see Kaufusi possibly play defense this season.

Kamehameha
-Out of all the new ILH QBs, this situation troubles me the most. The offense at Kapalama has seen quite a variety of looks the last few seasons, and will need to find another identity again with the loss of Kanoa Shannon at RB. Pauole leads the OLine, and Skyler Ramos is as dynamic a playmaker as anyone in the state... Onyx Freitas will stretch defenses and his fair share of scoring opportunities.
-They get a huge addition with the return of DB Tiger Peterson. He missed most of last season due to injury, he adds talent to experience in the defensive backfield. Linebackers will make a lot of plays in this multiple defense, Hoku Arias, Akalea Kapono, and Ezra Evaimalo (DE) are athletic and are stout hitters. JV giant Kuao Peihopa will make an immediate impact coming up from JV to join Blake Kupono on the defensive line.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

808FBRecruits wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:15 pm I haven’t really thought of a preseason ranking yet, but I am happy that we won’t have to wait until the playoffs to see how the teams talent will work itself out.

2 Cents:

Kahuku:

-Yes, they reload, every year. But how does the attrition this year affect their play. A third HC in as many years- albeit from in-house, and the star QB gone. Alapa has been a good backup, but I don’t know if we see the same confidence in slinging the ball around as we saw last season. Hopefully, Wes Maiava stays healthy and can combo with Lefau for a thunder/lightning run game, with Vimahi leading the OLine. Lokana Enos needs more opportunities pass catching.
-On defense, they lose upfront with Reed and Siilata graduating, Tupuola has gotten a lot of offseason offers and Tausili Fiatoa again returns to offer much needed play making ability upfront. Ah You is the stud on D, he’s up to 220 lbs and is an absolute beast. Look for JL Lavea, Aaron Fonoimoana-Vaomu, and Alan Talanoa to make big strides this season at LB (would love to see Lefau back at LB too). The defensive backfield is STACKED: Kaniho is a boss back there with returnees Emerson, Fonoimoana-Vaomu, Aveau, and Buju, if he’s returning? Big plus to have these kind of young and experienced DBs... passing games only got better with the addition of the ILH and these kids are the difference makers at DB that can only be rivaled to Punahou personel wise.

STL:
-They are the reigning back-to-back state champions. Their attrition: Cordeiro, Panoke, Quinn, 3/5 OL, Purcell, Feary, Taliulu, Tufaga, and Moore. Their up-and-comers: QB Jayden deLaura, WR Matt Sykes, LB Mason Tufaga, OLB Jordan Botelho, OLB Nick Herbig, DT Stanley Mckenzie, DB Kamo’i Latu. Not to mention returning the best defensive line in the state with Tuitele, Quinones, and Filisi.
-Big question surrounds their QB, Jayden deLaura, but from what I gather from his preseason performances last season and his offseason development in mainland camps... kid can ball. In the ILH which will start three new starting QBs, I put this one at the top. Will be huge matchups against both Kahuku and Punahou, with very good DBs. One thing the top teams will have is depth, St. Louis and Kahuku both rule in that category.

Punahou
-They return the big boys on the offensive line, Duke Clemens, Blake Feigenspan, and Solatoa Moeai highlight the best returning OLine this year. They will start the season with a QB competition between Hugh Brady, Nui Adolpho, and JV starter Kobe Muasau. Returning on offense, their own thunder and lightning RBs Sitiveni Kaufusi and Vincent Terrell, with dynamic WR Tamatoa Falatea.
-Defense, they return a bevy of studs: Maninoa Tufono, Marist Liufau, Kaulana Makaula, Alakai Gilman, and Kennedy Freeman. However they lose a lot from graduation too... namely two big defensive lineman in Motu’apuaka and Fakatoumafi. Looking for someone to fill that role upfront. I want to see Kaufusi possibly play defense this season.

Kamehameha
-Out of all the new ILH QBs, this situation troubles me the most. The offense at Kapalama has seen quite a variety of looks the last few seasons, and will need to find another identity again with the loss of Kanoa Shannon at RB. Pauole leads the OLine, and Skyler Ramos is as dynamic a playmaker as anyone in the state... Onyx Freitas will stretch defenses and his fair share of scoring opportunities.
-They get a huge addition with the return of DB Tiger Peterson. He missed most of last season due to injury, he adds talent to experience in the defensive backfield. Linebackers will make a lot of plays in this multiple defense, Hoku Arias, Akalea Kapono, and Ezra Evaimalo (DE) are athletic and are stout hitters. JV giant Kuao Peihopa will make an immediate impact coming up from JV to join Blake Kupono on the defensive line.
@808FBRecruits: That was perhaps the most in-depth preseason assessment I've seen on this message-board so far.
1. If Kahuku's secondary is as good as you say, that's bad news for St Louis and Mililani, two schools that will apparently be pass-heavy this coming season. It's probably worse for St Louis, as they don't seem to have a quality RB who can deflect pressure away from the pass game.
2. Speaking of Mililani, what's your assessment of them?
3. Concerning Kamehameha's QB, I'd assume they'll be using the same guy who played several games as a freshman this past season. But, all we can say for him is that he has some vars experience; doesn't say much about how good he is. If he can come 'round, he'll have some decent receivers to throw to, like Ramos. How big is Peihopa? What's his height; what's his weight? Unusual for a player just up from the JV to have an immediate impact.
4. If St Louis indeed has the best D-line in the state, that poses a problem for Punahou's O. Could St Louis' D-line be the equalizer in St Louis' quest for the ILH Open title? If St Louis QB De Laura is as good as several guys have been saying on this message-board, that obviously poses problems for Punahou's D. So, St Louis' D-line and De Laura, could be the keys to putting pressure on both Punahou's O and D, respectively.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

808FBRecruits wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:15 pm I haven’t really thought of a preseason ranking yet, but I am happy that we won’t have to wait until the playoffs to see how the teams talent will work itself out.

2 Cents:

Kahuku:

STL:

Punahou

Kamehameha
Nice detailed breakdown.

Can’t argue with Kahuku. Just their size and speed alone is so hard to deal with. Add their skill level to that? It will be either a battle or beat down for their opponents every snap

I agree with your assessment of STL. Need to SEE Delaura in action but all reports point to him having the tools. Roman Wilson should get more touches, WR is deep as usual. Excited to see Botelho’s development, and Tui with BOTH arms lol. Junior Wily also good DB, aggressive and athletic.

Kam usually good up front defense wise. I think offense will struggle. They have pieces like Ramos, but missing so much. Kam O line usually decent if not good also. But they gonna struggle at qb. If they can get a big power back it may suite them better than a back like Shannon did even though he was tough.

808FBRecruits you have the best preseason breakdown I’ve seen, what do you think about the other teams?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Don't forget a junior-to-be WR for us that shined against KSK in the last game.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Definitely way too early, but the one thing I absolutely disagree with, just my opinion, is putting Kamehameha as high as you did. Crusaders may have lost a lot, but it is St Louis, with the Lee brothers, its always reload. I know many of us in Red Raider Nation were thinking we had states with the loss of Tua, but many of us were still wary because we knew Chevan was no slouch coming into last season.

As always, I like Big Red's chances again this year. This goes without saying, but barring any injuries or transfers, this years edition of Big Red D could be another special group. I'm just praying there won't be any distractions with coaching and admin or coaches and coaches.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:50 pm

2 Cents:

Kahuku:

STL:

Punahou

Kamehameha
Nice detailed breakdown.

Can’t argue with Kahuku. Just their size and speed alone is so hard to deal with. Add their skill level to that? It will be either a battle or beat down for their opponents every snap

I agree with your assessment of STL. Need to SEE Delaura in action but all reports point to him having the tools. Roman Wilson should get more touches, WR is deep as usual. Excited to see Botelho’s development, and Tui with BOTH arms lol. Junior Wily also good DB, aggressive and athletic.

Kam usually good up front defense wise. I think offense will struggle. They have pieces like Ramos, but missing so much. Kam O line usually decent if not good also. But they gonna struggle at qb. If they can get a big power back it may suite them better than a back like Shannon did even though he was tough.

808FBRecruits you have the best preseason breakdown I’ve seen, what do you think about the other teams?
@genks: It's apparent Kamehameha will likely suck on O. They have no decent QB and, as far as I know, no "big power-back." They apparently have no good RB at all, be he a big power-back or one of the fast, shifty types.