Way too early top ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Way too early top ten

Post by unpaid »

Spring football practices are happening now,7-on-7's in June,Summer camps in July,And the football games begin in August.If you know of any transfers or other corrections ,let me know. Here are my way to early Top Tens.

D-I

1.Kahuku Rock-ribbed defense led by Miki Ah You LB and Kaonohi Kaniho DB.Enokk Vimahi is a stud OL.Thorton Alapa is a more than capable answer at QB. Duke Heffernan can do a little of everything and Toalei Lefau can run the ball.Jared Emerson and Alex Fonoimoana- Vaomu are ballhawks in the defensive backfield.

2.Punahou. Buffanblu road grader Duke Clemens and LB Maninoa Tufono should be the leaders.They have big,rangy WR's in Kaulana Makaula and Marist Liufau who can double as jumbo DB's.Tamatoa Falatea WR adds to the Pun air attack. The question is who of the many QB'S Punahou played last year will step to take control this fall? Trent Shiraki LB is on defense.

3.Mililani Dillon Gabriel is perhaps Hawaii's best returning HS QB. Ryan Chang and Reichel Vegas will be among those to catch his passes. Killifi Malepeai is a 230 lb load at RB. Shane Kady and Mykah Tuiolemotu man the DL with Darius Muasau backing them up at LB.

4.Kamehameha. Lokahi Pauole OL is the big man upfront. The Warriors need to find someone to throw to WR's Skyler Ramos and Alec Serrao,who is also a pretty good KR.DL Ezra Evaimalo and Hoku Arias DB await opposing offenses. Probably catch some heat for putting them ahead of St.Louis ,but at least Kam has something back on both sides of the ball.

5.St.Louis The Crusaders got shredded by graduation. They will have a studly defense to carry them while the Lee brothers find out who their playmakers on offense are. Arasi Mose OL is a man mountain OL.Faatui TuiteleHeads the defensive wall and LB's Jordan Botelho and Kila Kamakawiwo'ole go sideline to sideline.

6.Campbell. QB Krenston Kaipo,OL Mose Timoteo, WR Pokii Adkins-Kupukaa WR Tamatoa Mokiau-Atimalala make a nice quartet on offense. Tyrese Tafai is the Saber to watch on defense, but he ran the ball a little last year too. There has been talk about transfers from Kahuku. I don't think any of them started for Kahuku so, I figure they will add depth for the squad...but will they be enough to crack the top five?

7.Kapolei. Hurricanes feature Julius Buelow OL on offense.Teriq Lacaden DB leads the D.

8.Leilehua. The Mules are the highest ranked D-I team that's not in the Open Division to make my list.James McGary carries the load at RB on offense. Jeremy Evans is a tall WR target.

9.Farrington. Wendell Alob is a defensive UT/QB/WR who might be needed all over the field for the Govs this fall.Saleaula Collins and Logan Faitau OL do the tough work in the trenches.

10. Waipahu. I would have had St.Francis here,but then the ILH went and moved Iolani up to D-I and Sent St.Francis down to D-II. The Marauders have a wealth of returning talent from last year's D-II squad ...now they're in D-I. Alfred Failuaga is the workhorse RB and Fiva Tulafale is a hitter on defense. Savior Iaulualo ,Tonga Kaufusi and Amo Montero handle line duties.Manuele Pulusila and Zeondre Benjamin are others to watch for on defense. Deacon Kapea RB/DB is versatile as is Branson Reyes KR/SB.

Iolani,Maui and Moanalua could make a move up when someone falters. No Waianae. Seariders might be the team that lost the most due to graduation. I think they might finish last in the Open Division regular season.

D-II

1.Lahainaluna. Lunas are defending chaps and they have the most returning.Ikaika Viela and Apakasi Felemi are tough OL.Joshua Tihada RB totes the rock. Etuati Storer is a rangy DB.Pablo Rico handles the kicking.William Kai Bookland WR,Tausinga HafokaOL/DL,and Tuipulotu Lai DL lend a hand also,as does LB Myles Pokipala-Waiohu.

2.St. Francis. I was going to have the Saints at 10 in D-I until the ILH sent them down to D-II. I felt they would have done better in D-I this fall than Iolani is going to do. oh well. The Saints will be counting on OL Siotame Haunga,Ope Laloulu to pave the way for RB Jonan Aina-Chaves. The defense is spearheaded by DL Tapena Tuitupou,LB Kaleoaloha Neves,LB Makana Poole,and DB Shepherd Kekahuna.

3.Konawaena. The Wildcats look to Avery Blanco,Alex Muti,and Tevin Canda to do the trench work.Hunter Werhsig and Boaz Ayers are two-way players and Kalai Santiago plays a number of defensive positions.Harry Hill is a good P/K.

4. Kamehameha-Maui. The Warriors should feature a strong defense withLB Jayden Delatori,LB Makana Saito-Takabayashi,DB Tiliti Adams,and UT Tristan Catan.The bad news is that they are in the MIL with Lahainaluna on a roll.

5.Pearl City. Kody Kikuyama LB and and RJ Kami DB lead the defense.Pookela Moses-Espanto is an experienced WR/KR for the Chargers.

6.Kaimuki. The Bulldogs should feature a strong line with Sama Paama and Hunter Mulu.

7.Roosevelt. The Rough Riders are scrappy as usual.Mitchell Camacho runs the ball.

8.Kapaa. Eli Unutoa OL is getting college interest. KIF seems to be down as a whole.

9.Pac-5. Leif Fautanu OL gets it done on offense.

10.Kauai.

D-II seems like it may not be as tough as it was 4-10 last year. Waialua and Kamehameha-Hawaii move up if one of these ten falter.
Last edited by unpaid on Sat May 05, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Way too early top tens

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@unpaid: May I be the first to "give you heat" for not only placing Kamehameha above St Louis, but also for not placing Kamehameha lower still. As you mentioned, they just don't have a quality QB. What you also may have noticed is that you said nothing about an RB. That's probably because they don't have a quality RB. Given all that, I would drop Kamehameha down to #6 at the highest. Personally, I would put them at #8. They don't have a good QB, and they don't have a good RB. I mean, those are the two most important positions on a football team. Pretty hard to see how Kamehameha can go far, given those realities.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Re: Way too early top tens

Post by teamhawaii »

unpaid wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:25 am Spring football practices are happening now,7-on-7's in June,Summer camps in July,And the football games begin in August.If you know of any transfers or other corrections ,let me know. Here are my way to early Top Tens.

D-I

1.Kahuku Rock-ribbed defense led by Miki Ah You LB and Kaonohi Kaniho DB.Enokk Vimahi is a stud OL.Thorton Alapa is a more than capable answer at QB. Duke Heffernan can do a little of everything and Toalei Lefau can run the ball.Jared Emerson and Alex Fonoimoana- Vaomu are ballhawks in the defensive backfield.

2.Punahou. Buffanblu road grader Duke Clemens and LB Maninoa Tufono should be the leaders.They have big,rangy WR's in Kaulana Makaula and Marist Liufau who can double as jumbo DB's.Tamatoa Falatea WR adds to the Pun air attack. The question is who of the many QB'S Punahou played last year will step to take control this fall? Trent Shiraki LB is on defense.

3.Mililani Dillon Gabriel is perhaps Hawaii's best returning HS QB. Ryan Chang and Reichel Vegas will be among those to catch his passes. Killifi Malepeai is a 230 lb load at RB. Shane Kady and Mykah Tuiolemotu man the DL with Darius Muasau backing them up at LB.

4.Kamehameha. Lokahi Pauole OL is the big man upfront. The Warriors need to find someone to throw to WR's Skyler Ramos and Alec Serrao,who is also a pretty good KR.DL Ezra Evaimalo and Hoku Arias DB await opposing offenses. Probably catch some heat for putting them ahead of St.Louis ,but at least Kam has something back on both sides of the ball.

5.St.Louis The Crusaders got shredded by graduation. They will have a studly defense to carry them while the Lee brothers find out who their playmakers on offense are. Arasi Mose OL is a man mountain OL.Faatui TuiteleHeads the defensive wall and LB's Jordan Botelho and Kila Kamakawiwo'ole go sideline to sideline.

6.Campbell. QB Krenston Kaipo,OL Mose Timoteo, and WR Pokii Adkins-Kupukaa make a nice triumvirate on offense. Tyrese Tafai is the Saber to watch on defense, but he ran the ball a little last year too. There has been talk about transfers from Kahuku. I don't think any of them started for Kahuku so, I figure they will add depth for the squad...but will they be enough to crack the top five?

7.Kapolei. Hurricanes feature Tamatoa Mokiau-Atimalala WR and Julius Buelow OL on offense. Trevan Maae DL/OL and Teriq Lacaden DB lead the D.

8.Leilehua. The Mules are the highest ranked D-I team that's not in the Open Division to make my list.James McGary carries the load at RB on offense. Jeremy Evans is a tall WR target.

9.Farrington. Wendell Alob is a defensive UT/QB/WR who might be needed all over the field for the Govs this fall.Saleaula Collins and Logan Faitau OL do the tough work in the trenches.

10. Waipahu. I would have had St.Francis here,but then the ILH went and moved Iolani up to D-I and Sent St.Francis down to D-II. The Marauders have a wealth of returning talent from last year's D-II squad ...now they're in D-I. Alfred Failuaga is the workhorse RB and Fiva Tulafale is a hitter on defense. Savior Iaulualo ,Tonga Kaufusi and Amo Montero handle line duties.Manuele Pulusila and Zeondre Benjamin are others to watch for on defense. Deacon Kapea RB/DB is versatile as is Branson Reyes KR/SB.

Iolani,Maui and Moanalua could make a move up when someone falters. No Waianae. Seariders might be the team that lost the most due to graduation. I think they might finish last in the Open Division regular season.

D-II

1.Lahainaluna. Lunas are defending chaps and they have the most returning.Ikaika Viela and Apakasi Felemi are tough OL.Joshua Tihada RB totes the rock. Etuati Storer is a rangy DB.Pablo Rico handles the kicking.William Kai Bookland WR,Tausinga HafokaOL/DL,and Tuipulotu Lai DL lend a hand also,as does LB Myles Pokipala-Waiohu.

2.St. Francis. I was going to have the Saints at 10 in D-I until the ILH sent them down to D-II. I felt they would have done better in D-I this fall than Iolani is going to do. oh well. The Saints will be counting on OL Siotame Haunga,Ope Laloulu to pave the way for RB Jonan Aina-Chaves. The defense is spearheaded by DL Tapena Tuitupou,LB Kaleoaloha Neves,LB Makana Poole,and DB Shepherd Kekahuna.

3.Konawaena. The Wildcats look to Avery Blanco,Alex Muti,and Tevin Canda to do the trench work.Hunter Werhsig and Boaz Ayers are two-way players and Kalai Santiago plays a number of defensive positions.Harry Hill is a good P/K.

4. Kamehameha-Maui. The Warriors should feature a strong defense withLB Jayden Delatori,LB Makana Saito-Takabayashi,DB Tiliti Adams,and UT Tristan Catan.The bad news is that they are in the MIL with Lahainaluna on a roll.

5.Pearl City. Kody Kikuyama LB and and RJ Kami DB lead the defense.Pookela Moses-Espanto is an experienced WR/KR for the Chargers.

6.Kaimuki. The Bulldogs should feature a strong line with Sama Paama and Hunter Mulu.

7.Roosevelt. The Rough Riders are scrappy as usual.Mitchell Camacho runs the ball.

8.Kapaa. Eli Unutoa OL is getting college interest. KIF seems to be down as a whole.

9.Pac-5. Leif Fautanu OL gets it done on offense.

10.Kauai.

D-II seems like it may not be as tough as it was 4-10 last year. Waialua and Kamehameha-Hawaii move up if one of these ten falter.
In regards to Kapolei, the Mokiau-Atimalala (Tama and Titan) brothers are attending Campbell and Trevan Maae is now at Bishop Gorman

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Way too early top ten

Post by unpaid »

teamhawaii,
Thanks.I have updated the Campbell and Kapolei capsules.Kapolei may be ranked lower for the preseason rankings.

HS Football Fanatic,
St.Louis is also looking for a new starting QB and they haven't had a stud running back for years.Kamehameha, to me is potentially as good as St.Louis this fall.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:12 pm teamhawaii,
Thanks.I have updated the Campbell and Kapolei capsules.Kapolei may be ranked lower for the preseason rankings.

HS Football Fanatic,
St.Louis is also looking for a new starting QB and they haven't had a stud running back for years.Kamehameha, to me is potentially as good as St.Louis this fall.
Here’s the heat

ST Louis ran the ball a total of maybe 15 times all last season, yet went undefeated, against teams like Kam, Punahou, Kahuku, Narbonne, and Mililani. Yeah they need balance, blah blah blah. But is that reeaaally a reason to rank them lower after lighting up teams through the air?

STL more or less has the starting qb set. Yes he isn’t proven so there’s that, but comparing STL’s ability to develop QBs and Kam’s ability to develop QBs is not fair to Kam.

There are very good receivers returning that played last year, you just don’t remember their names. Sykes is one. Give him a google he’s getting national attention.

I agree Ramos is small but a good receiver. But Yam couldn’t hit him from more than 8 yards away. If they are expected to be better this year, you would think this mystery Kam qb would’ve played some last year in situations like being down 30+ to STL.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

One more thing, raise your hand if this is something anyone said after 2016’s season

“STL has no qb since Tua is gone, they will not repeat for the title”

I guess we can say “Chevan gone, STL has no qb “

I guess if people keep saying that every season “_____is gone they have no qb” then sooner or later it’s bound to be true lol

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic,
@unpaid: Yes, St Louis will have a new QB, but according to one of the guys on this message-board, he's pretty good. Can't say the same for Kamehameha. As for St Louis not having a stud RB, well, they don't need one. St Louis has been a pass-oriented team for some 37 years, and they've been very good for almost all of those years. They had a good RB--(think his name was Fuamatu-Maafala)--sometime back in the late-'90s or so. That just made St Louis stronger than they would have been already. Kamehameha is just the opposite of St Louis. They've been a run-oriented team for some 37 years. They had a good QB in a guy named Campbell back in '09, when they won the D1 state title. But for the upcoming season, I find it hard to imagine Kamehameha being as good as St Louis, even potentially. Kamehameha's bread-and-butter has traditionally been the run game, and they don't even have a decent RB now.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:32 am

HS Football Fanatic,
Here’s the heat

ST Louis ran the ball a total of maybe 15 times all last season, yet went undefeated, against teams like Kam, Punahou, Kahuku, Narbonne, and Mililani. Yeah they need balance, blah blah blah. But is that reeaaally a reason to rank them lower after lighting up teams through the air?

STL more or less has the starting qb set. Yes he isn’t proven so there’s that, but comparing STL’s ability to develop QBs and Kam’s ability to develop QBs is not fair to Kam.

There are very good receivers returning that played last year, you just don’t remember their names. Sykes is one. Give him a google he’s getting national attention.

I agree Ramos is small but a good receiver. But Yam couldn’t hit him from more than 8 yards away. If they are expected to be better this year, you would think this mystery Kam qb would’ve played some last year in situations like being down 30+ to STL.
@genks: Well, I think you're right regarding St Louis not needing balance. If your pass game is extremely outstanding, I agree that you don't really need a run game. However, I will say that unpaid was being reasonable in ranking St Louis lower for the upcoming season. If and when St Louis' new QB is up to the task, then I'm sure unpaid would rank St Louis higher.
I think you're overblowing St Louis' ability to "develop" QBs. Sure, St Louis has an outstanding QB coach in Passas, but he's not a magician. If the QB ain't got it, he ain't got it. That would apply to Kamehameha's QB, and the QB for any other school.
As for Kamehameha's Yam, he simply wasn't consistent. And besides, he graduates this month or next. He's gone.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:41 am One more thing, raise your hand if this is something anyone said after 2016’s season

“STL has no qb since Tua is gone, they will not repeat for the title”

I guess we can say “Chevan gone, STL has no qb “

I guess if people keep saying that every season “_____is gone they have no qb” then sooner or later it’s bound to be true lol
@genks: Again, St Louis is outstanding in football almost every year. Nonetheless, none of their coaches is God, and neither is any of their players. Like any other school, St Louis will have to prove itself this coming football season.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Tua could throw for 300 and rush for 100 a game. Cordeiro was just a little less productive but was still a skilled passer and a dangerous runner. Both guys ,to me were true dual- threat QB'S. And they were the run game for the Crusaders the last three years. St.Louis has been fortunate. Are they going to hit the jackpot with the next QB? I don't think the odds are in their favor having The next QB being like his two immediate predecessors .

Leilehua also had a good run at QB with Moniz,Manley,Jenks,Sadanaga,but eventually it ends and there has to be some balance ,otherwise,what 's left? When you haven't developed any running backs and you get a QB who is not a dual threat ,then that's a problem. Still need a ground game and when you can't get it from your QB like you have been accustomed to,then where are the ground yards coming from. They have to come from somewhere because,without Tagovailoa and Cordeiro's rushing yards,I don't think the Crusaders have those last two state titles.

It 's not just the QB odds,they lost a lot of OL also. I notice they have Kahuku and Mililani early too.

Well,when the season begins,I go by wins and losses,no matter what my preseason rank is. St.Louis ,like any other team,can prove me wrong by winning out.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 11:42 am

HS Football Fanatic,
Here’s the heat

@genks: Well, I think you're right regarding St Louis not needing balance. If your pass game is extremely outstanding, I agree that you don't really need a run game. However, I will say that unpaid was being reasonable in ranking St Louis lower for the upcoming season. If and when St Louis' new QB is up to the task, then I'm sure unpaid would rank St Louis higher.
I think you're overblowing St Louis' ability to "develop" QBs. Sure, St Louis has an outstanding QB coach in Passas, but he's not a magician. If the QB ain't got it, he ain't got it. That would apply to Kamehameha's QB, and the QB for any other school.
As for Kamehameha's Yam, he simply wasn't consistent. And besides, he graduates this month or next. He's gone.
Don’t get me wrong, if STL has a great RB, of course it would make the offense much better. But Unpaid used the lack of a RB as one of his reasons for ranking STL lower than Kam.

I’m not saying Coach Passas and the other coaches can work miracles on just anyone. BUT, the offense and their ability to coach up a qb puts them in a MUCH better position than Kam when it comes to new QBs taking over the team.

I could be wrong of course and STL has a bad season. This is all for the sake of discussion about somethjng we all have an insterest in. I’m pretty sure anyone who’s read my comments knows I am 100% biased but geez, Kam above STL is hard to understand

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:25 pm Tua could throw for 300 and rush for 100 a game. Cordeiro was just a little less productive but was still a skilled passer and a dangerous runner. Both guys ,to me were true dual- threat QB'S. And they were the run game for the Crusaders the last three years. St.Louis has been fortunate. Are they going to hit the jackpot with the next QB? I don't think the odds are in their favor having The next QB being like his two immediate predecessors .

Leilehua also had a good run at QB with Moniz,Manley,Jenks,Sadanaga,but eventually it ends and there has to be some balance ,otherwise,what 's left? When you haven't developed any running backs and you get a QB who is not a dual threat ,then that's a problem. Still need a ground game and when you can't get it from your QB like you have been accustomed to,then where are the ground yards coming from. They have to come from somewhere because,without Tagovailoa and Cordeiro's rushing yards,I don't think the Crusaders have those last two state titles.

It 's not just the QB odds,they lost a lot of OL also. I notice they have Kahuku and Mililani early too.

Well,when the season begins,I go by wins and losses,no matter what my preseason rank is. St.Louis ,like any other team,can prove me wrong by winning out.
If we ask where STLs rushing yards will come from, where will Kam’s passing yards come from?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kamehameha's passing yards will come from the same type of player St. Louis' rushing yards will come from. That would be from someone who is going to replace last year's graduates. Someone will break out but I don't know who it will be. I do think that Kam has a little better balance in returning starters than STL does. In the end both teams will likely be looking up at Punahou. Anyways,each team can show us what they are capable of....so show me when the season begins.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:25 pm Tua could throw for 300 and rush for 100 a game. Cordeiro was just a little less productive but was still a skilled passer and a dangerous runner. Both guys ,to me were true dual- threat QB'S. And they were the run game for the Crusaders the last three years. St.Louis has been fortunate. Are they going to hit the jackpot with the next QB? I don't think the odds are in their favor having The next QB being like his two immediate predecessors .

@unpaid: You've made an excellent point that I failed to consider. St Louis' recent QBs have been not only outstanding passers, but runners as well, making them in effect good RBs. Excellent point. And, seeing as St Louis will have lost a lot of O-linemen, that's something that genks has to consider as well. After all, a QB and an RB are only as good as their O-line. We'll have to see how well St Louis does early against Kahuku and Mililani. Talk about an acid test. St Louis will find-out very quickly how they measure-up, going up against those two schools.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:29 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 11:42 am

Here’s the heat

Don’t get me wrong, if STL has a great RB, of course it would make the offense much better. But Unpaid used the lack of a RB as one of his reasons for ranking STL lower than Kam.

I’m not saying Coach Passas and the other coaches can work miracles on just anyone. BUT, the offense and their ability to coach up a qb puts them in a MUCH better position than Kam when it comes to new QBs taking over the team.

I could be wrong of course and STL has a bad season. This is all for the sake of discussion about somethjng we all have an insterest in. I’m pretty sure anyone who’s read my comments knows I am 100% biased but geez, Kam above STL is hard to understand
@genks: I still think it's more about players' talent than about coaching. If a school's got an outstanding QB, I'm not sure it matters how good the QB coach is. I think you might be being a little unfair to Kamehameha's QB coach, whoever he is. Kamehameha simply hasn't had QBs who are consistently good. I'd say the last consistently good QB they had was Campbell, some 8 years ago. But I agree that I can't see Kamehameha being ranked above St Louis. I mean, I prefer Kamehameha Schools to St Louis School, but I couldn't honestly rank their football team above St Louis'.