Way too early top ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Re: Way too early top ten

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:42 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:05 pm Defense should be stout again. Some boys left to West Jordan (UT), Jordan (UT), Orem (UT) but should still be pretty good. JV Boys Singh '21 & Ah You '21 should compliment Tupuola and Fiatoa quite nicely. Talanoa played on Varsity as Freshman & last year looking good and Ace Kaufusi getting some buzz throughout the camps but with Nalu Emerson, Miki Ah You & Aaron Fonoimoana he should get some rotation. Than with Nohi Kaniho, Mana Fonoimoana in the secondary.

Offense should go back to more traditional. Alapa should be good and Sauvao JV QB has a good arm. Kamehameha transfer Kamuela Miller is a big boy, interesting to see him. They got him listed as TE, should be a strong position considering they have Ethan Erickson (BYU Commit) and Lokana Enos.

Thinking about the Kamehameha and those transferred back home in the recent years Salanoa Wily, Alohi Gilman, Kekaula Kaniho, Micah Mariteragi were ballers. Now they got Micah Soliai & Kamuela Miller.

But watching Campbell in 7v7, there offense is going to be fun to watch. The Mokiao-Atimala Brothers and Poki Adkins-Kupukaa are something else, dangerous combo. Can't wait for the season.
@teamhawaii: Well, I can live with Campbell; I'm pretty neutral towards them. But, I prefer Kahuku to them. Seeing as D has been a hallmark of Kahuku for almost a decade, will be interesting to sell how they deal with Campbell's O. But then, how will Campbell's D deal with Kahuku's O?
In regards for OIA teams playing Kahuku, I think it's more of a matter of playing mistake free football (No turnovers & No penalties) and good special teams.

Kahuku Defense creates so much turnovers and capitalizes on that, it's like almost a 2nd offense. They're special teams is such a key factor too. I know Sekope Latu graduated but his punting always gave them good field position and they're returners Mana Fonoimoana & Nohi Kaniho are dangerous

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

Markeke wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:18 am
teamhawaii wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:05 pm Defense should be stout again. Some boys left to West Jordan (UT), Jordan (UT), Orem (UT) but should still be pretty good. JV Boys Singh '21 & Ah You '21 should compliment Tupuola and Fiatoa quite nicely. Talanoa played on Varsity as Freshman & last year looking good and Ace Kaufusi getting some buzz throughout the camps but with Nalu Emerson, Miki Ah You & Aaron Fonoimoana he should get some rotation. Than with Nohi Kaniho, Mana Fonoimoana in the secondary.

Offense should go back to more traditional. Alapa should be good and Sauvao JV QB has a good arm. Kamehameha transfer Kamuela Miller is a big boy, interesting to see him. They got him listed as TE, should be a strong position considering they have Ethan Erickson (BYU Commit) and Lokana Enos.

Thinking about the Kamehameha and those transferred back home in the recent years Salanoa Wily, Alohi Gilman, Kekaula Kaniho, Micah Mariteragi were ballers. Now they got Micah Soliai & Kamuela Miller.

But watching Campbell in 7v7, there offense is going to be fun to watch. The Mokiao-Atimala Brothers and Poki Adkins-Kupukaa are something else, dangerous combo. Can't wait for the season.
I thought Byrce Beatty, at 6'3" 295 lbs.was a presence in the middle defense. Is he still at Kahuku? I know Uncle Coach Johnson is at Campbell. Also is Wes Maiava still at Kahuku? He was a promising rb last season.
I seen Bryce Beatty getting some O Line Reps, He might go both ways this year. Wes Maiava from what I last heard is still at Kahuku. I believe schools began practice yesterday.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

teamhawaii wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:42 pm

@teamhawaii: Well, I can live with Campbell; I'm pretty neutral towards them. But, I prefer Kahuku to them. Seeing as D has been a hallmark of Kahuku for almost a decade, will be interesting to sell how they deal with Campbell's O. But then, how will Campbell's D deal with Kahuku's O?
In regards for OIA teams playing Kahuku, I think it's more of a matter of playing mistake free football (No turnovers & No penalties) and good special teams.

Kahuku Defense creates so much turnovers and capitalizes on that, it's like almost a 2nd offense. They're special teams is such a key factor too. I know Sekope Latu graduated but his punting always gave them good field position and they're returners Mana Fonoimoana & Nohi Kaniho are dangerous
@teamhawaii: Well, Kahuku usually plays disciplined football, unlike some other schools. I think what also helps is that, since they're usually run-oriented, they don't get picked off very often at all; their ball is almost never in the air. Also, they're not hot-headed like some other schools, like Kapolei, for example. So, Kahuku doesn't yield too many turnovers and penalty yards.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:17 am

I thought Byrce Beatty, at 6'3" 295 lbs.was a presence in the middle defense. Is he still at Kahuku? I know Uncle Coach Johnson is at Campbell. Also is Wes Maiava still at Kahuku? He was a promising rb last season.
I seen Bryce Beatty getting some O Line Reps, He might go both ways this year. Wes Maiava from what I last heard is still at Kahuku. I believe schools began practice yesterday.
@teamhawaii: The thing about Kahuku is that if a player is going both ways, it's never due to a lack of players. Every year, Kahuku has a large roster in terms of number of players, and seems fairly deep at almost every position except kicker/punter, perhaps. If a Kahuku player goes both ways, it's usually because he's so good that it would be a waste to have him sitting on the bench at any time. One such Kahuku player comes to mind, he played some six or seven years ago, the year they beat Punahou for the state D1 title. Can't recall his name; think he was a DB on defense. He may have been part of that famous hook-and-lateral play against Punahou that went for a TD, and just about killed Punahou's fight.

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:42 pm
@teamhawaii: The thing about Kahuku is that if a player is going both ways, it's never due to a lack of players. Every year, Kahuku has a large roster in terms of number of players, and seems fairly deep at almost every position except kicker/punter, perhaps. If a Kahuku player goes both ways, it's usually because he's so good that it would be a waste to have him sitting on the bench at any time. One such Kahuku player comes to mind, he played some six or seven years ago, the year they beat Punahou for the state D1 title. Can't recall his name; think he was a DB on defense. He may have been part of that famous hook-and-lateral play against Punahou that went for a TD, and just about killed Punahou's fight.
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Kawehena Johnson. Which in my opinion was one of the most exciting player I have ever watched in Hawaii High school football history.

But in regards of my rankings OIA/ILH Open for this year it has to be
1. St. Louis
2. Kahuku
3. Punahou
4. Mililani
5. Campbell
6. Kamehameha
7. Kapolei
8. Farrington
9. Waianae

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Can anyone confirm if Wes Alo-Maiava is here in Hawaii? or did he go back to Orem? Same for Fiatoa.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:57 pm

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Kawehena Johnson. Which in my opinion was one of the most exciting player I have ever watched in Hawaii High school football history.

1. St. Louis
2. Kahuku
3. Punahou
4. Mililani
5. Campbell
6. Kamehameha
7. Kapolei
8. Farrington
9. Waianae
@teamhawaii: Yes, that's he, Kawe Johnson. Without him--playing on both O and D, Kahuku might not have beaten Punahou for the state title.
Question: What makes you rank St Louis over Kahuku? Perhaps because they're defending champs?

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:15 pm

1. St. Louis
2. Kahuku
3. Punahou
4. Mililani
5. Campbell
6. Kamehameha
7. Kapolei
8. Farrington
9. Waianae
@teamhawaii: Yes, that's he, Kawe Johnson. Without him--playing on both O and D, Kahuku might not have beaten Punahou for the state title.
Question: What makes you rank St Louis over Kahuku? Perhaps because they're defending champs?
Yes, definitely got to give them the nod from being defending champs.

A lot of other things too such as Coaching. Cal Lee and Passes is as good as it gets.

Returnees coming back. They had so much depth in every position. The only question mark I have is new QB Jayden De Laura. But from what I heard so far, he's impressive and I trust Passes should have him ready.

But I'm not going to lie, if Sol Jay Maiava returned to Kahuku, I probably would have ranked them #1. I hope he does well in DC and hopefully return to Hawaii in his Senior Season.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 pm

1. St. Louis
2. Kahuku
3. Punahou
4. Mililani
5. Campbell
6. Kamehameha
7. Kapolei
8. Farrington
9. Waianae

A lot of other things too such as Coaching. Cal Lee and Passes is as good as it gets.

Returnees coming back. They had so much depth in every position. The only question mark I have is new QB Jayden De Laura. But from what I heard so far, he's impressive and I trust Passes should have him ready.

But I'm not going to lie, if Sol Jay Maiava returned to Kahuku, I probably would have ranked them #1. I hope he does well in DC and hopefully return to Hawaii in his Senior Season.
@teamhawaii: OK, St Louis does have returnees, but so do Kahuku and Punahou. In fact, my understanding is that Punahou has more returnees than does St Louis. (Not that I want Punahou to beat St Louis; I don't want them to.) I've heard that Kahuku has choke returnees, too.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:40 pm

@teamhawaii: OK, St Louis does have returnees, but so do Kahuku and Punahou. In fact, my understanding is that Punahou has more returnees than does St Louis. (Not that I want Punahou to beat St Louis; I don't want them to.) I've heard that Kahuku has choke returnees, too.
STL lost a lot more than they return, including key positions like the top qb, 2 of the top WRs, And 3 of 4 LBs. I still believe that they have talent but Kahuku and Pun have more returning starters coming back. Especially kahuku, who basically returns their whole Defense. Even without sol jay, i'd give them the edge over STl and Pun right now. Ah You, Vimahi, Fiatoa, Emmerson, Kaniho, fonoimoana, hefernan, maiava..... All key returning players. This year, it'll be the team that stays the healthiest, has the most depth that will win. Every game will be great competition....gotta love it!!!

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

St. Louis gets the nod from me being back to back champs. Also, Coaching plays a huge aspect. but in further detail. There defense is going to be good.
D Line- Faatui Tuitele (Top 5 DL in the country), Gino Quinones (USC Commit), Isaiah Filisi, Stanley Mackenzie and Alexander Galeai

The Linebackers lose a lot but they still have returning starter Jordan Botelho. Also Kila Kamakawiwaole, Nick Herbig, Emmit Vaiese, Maison Tailulu, Lawaia Brown and incoming sophomore Mason Tufuga (Isaiah little brother) should all step up. The LB core is stacked

The secondary is probably the biggest question mark with only Junior Wily returning. But Kamoi Latu, Kaiser Cho, Micah Tupua had a good summer camp schedule.

Offense returns RB Tumpac and Nishigaya. Also like LB, the WR had a lot of depth. Matt Sykes, Makoa Close, Chase Beyer and Roman Wilson. O Line looks good with Arasi Mose, Ben Scott and Timothy Timoteo. Yes, QB is a ? but I believe Passes will have him ready.

Guys like Chevan Cordeiro, Mitchell Quinn, Kama Moore we didn't even know prior the season and they blew up. Coaching is a big difference.

Kahuku is not far behind. There depth is nice too. I talked about how they were looking in a previous post.

Punahou has a lot of returnees too like RB Kaufusi, OL Duke Clemens, OL Blake Feinganspan WR Tama Falatea, WR Koa Eldridge, DL Solatoa Moeai, LB Maninoa Tufono, DB Kaulana Makaula, DB Marist Liufau, DB Alakai Gilman

I'm not sure who the QB will be either between Junior-Hugh Brady and Sophomore-Logan Muasau

According to 247 and paper they're stacked but I just haven't seen them beat St. Louis in 2 years and I'm interested to see how they deal with this new OIA-ILH schedule. Coaching for Punahou hasn't been like other years before. There 1st strings are good but I think there's a big drop off from there 2nd strings that you don't see from St. Louis and Kahuku.

Just checked Maxpreps Top 100 teams they got #12 St. Louis, #92 Kahuku, #100 Punahou. Really impressive! I wish they had a Football Classic at Aloha Stadium this year featuring all 3 teams against mainland teams. This Class of 2019 is probably the most talented football class in Hawaii High School Football History

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:14 pm

STL lost a lot more than they return, including key positions like the top qb, 2 of the top WRs, And 3 of 4 LBs. I still believe that they have talent but Kahuku and Pun have more returning starters coming back. Especially kahuku, who basically returns their whole Defense. Even without sol jay, i'd give them the edge over STl and Pun right now. Ah You, Vimahi, Fiatoa, Emmerson, Kaniho, fonoimoana, hefernan, maiava..... All key returning players. This year, it'll be the team that stays the healthiest, has the most depth that will win. Every game will be great competition....gotta love it!!!
@Dog 96707: Glad to hear that you rank Kahuku #1! Music to my ears! I'm especially glad that almost their entire D returns. As they say, defense wins championships. Go Red Raiders.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think the way we'll start the season is the way we did in 2011 and 2016, with our two best QBs (Lohgan and Hugh) splitting time. Those two years were very successful years. Hopefully, we can go further than those two teams and if not, have more success than the two teams that Donald Trump's biggest fan here loves.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!