Way too early top ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: Way too early top ten

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:02 pm One fact that KSK and Punahou fans HATE is that Vinny Passas can make anybody look good.
His resume at this point is incredible.

After one of the scrimmages, I saw Chevan running a scramble drill where he gets the snap, scrambles through a bunch of tightly arranged cones, then quickly fires off a 10-15 yard pass. Over and over and over. Passas watched carefully and coached

Things like this pay off so big during games

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:39 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:14 pm
genks wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:20 pm Just saw that Kapolei’s 1st and 2nd string QBs are transfering. Huge losses due to transfering and some to graduation at critical positions.

Kapolei’s situation <>= to Kam and Waianae?

One thing I will add, Hernandez couldn’t get it done even with a comepletely loaded roster, I mean top to bottom loaded. Even worse now?

Maybe someone that knows Kapolei and their roster better can chime in?

Also wanted to add that UH just offered Delaura. Since there’s so much talk about him I figured I’d mention that. I can’t wait to see him play
@genks: Kapolei High is really snakebitten. They'll get so close to the top some years, and then something goes wrong. Hernandez must be really frustrated; if it's not one thing, it's another. As for De Laura, well, I hope that with him, St Louis can stop Punahou. (Again, sorry, gopunahou.) Also, someone posted that St Louis will have the best D in the state. Hopefully, De Laura + #1 defense = ILH Open title.
I think it was actually best defensive line, not defense in general.

I don’t mean to take credit away from Farrington, but Kapolei really should’ve beaten them in the OIA semis 2 years ago. That roster was so stacked it was crazy. Yet they lost to Farrington, dropped a game against Waianae, and got completely smashed by Kahuku. I know I’ve been critical of Hernandez in the past, not sure if hiring Amosa as OC did him any favors. The team also seems to lack discipline with the bad personal fouls, mouthing off and adding unsportsmanlike penalties, etc.
@genks: Regarding St Louis' D, oh. But when you say D-line, you also mean the LBs, I'm assuming?
And, you're right about Kapolei's lack of discipline. I think Hernandez needs to kick some butt, issue some ultimatums. If a kid is going to lip-off and/or act-up and/or play dirty, he has to have consequences. That lack of discipline does stand out about Kapolei High football generally.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Thu May 17, 2018 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:02 pm One fact that KSK and Punahou fans HATE is that Vinny Passas can make anybody look good.
@gopunahou: You're right about that, I'm sure. Passas is almost like a god as a QB coach, and he's been coaching at St Louis School for what seems like forever, since the early-'80s, I think. I think he's the main reason that that school is considered a QB factory.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:03 am

After one of the scrimmages, I saw Chevan running a scramble drill where he gets the snap, scrambles through a bunch of tightly arranged cones, then quickly fires off a 10-15 yard pass. Over and over and over. Passas watched carefully and coached

@genks: You'd think that other schools' QB coaches would rip-off Passas' coaching strategies/techniques.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:26 am

@genks: You'd think that other schools' QB coaches would rip-off Passas' coaching strategies/techniques.
I bet most coaches do use drills or teaching techniques that they see and they think would be useful. The players also probably believe in Passas and buy into his program 100%. I’m sure that makes a difference.

Trent Dilfer sounded like he was trying to take credit for Tua after that national championship game, saying they coached him up at the Elite 11 and taught him that last play.

Never mind he trained with Passas and his dad for YEARS lol

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:38 pm

I bet most coaches do use drills or teaching techniques that they see and they think would be useful. The players also probably believe in Passas and buy into his program 100%. I’m sure that makes a difference.

Trent Dilfer sounded like he was trying to take credit for Tua after that national championship game, saying they coached him up at the Elite 11 and taught him that last play.

@genks: I think a QB needs to buy into the school's QB coach, no matter which school it is, no matter who the QB coach is. A high school QB here can't say, "Well, you're not Passas, so I'm not buying into your coaching." If I were the QB coach, I would tell the HC, and if were the HC, I'd bench the kid. Too many kids today have attitude problems. My time, you did what the coach said to do. You didn't give attitude. You did what you were told, and you did the best you could. Players can't be saying, "Well, you're the coach, but I'm going to do it my way," or, "But that's how they do it at St Louis."

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:40 pm

@genks: I think a QB needs to buy into the school's QB coach, no matter which school it is, no matter who the QB coach is. A high school QB here can't say, "Well, you're not Passas, so I'm not buying into your coaching." If I were the QB coach, I would tell the HC, and if were the HC, I'd bench the kid. Too many kids today have attitude problems. My time, you did what the coach said to do. You didn't give attitude. You did what you were told, and you did the best you could. Players can't be saying, "Well, you're the coach, but I'm going to do it my way," or, "But that's how they do it at St Louis."
That’s not what I meant.

Of course the player NEEDS to follow instructions, listen, absorb, and respect all the coaches, and give 100%

What I meant was to get the training from a coach like Passas who’s students are in the NFL, winning college championships, high school championships etc. you probably don’t have a single doubt in your mind that this is the best training you can get. This is exactly what you need in order to improve and win games, hopefully play in college. Even after practice you can’t wait to drill that move or tweak he showed you so you can get it down

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:09 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:40 pm

That’s not what I meant.

Of course the player NEEDS to follow instructions, listen, absorb, and respect all the coaches, and give 100%

What I meant was to get the training from a coach like Passas who’s students are in the NFL, winning college championships, high school championships etc. you probably don’t have a single doubt in your mind that this is the best training you can get. This is exactly what you need in order to improve and win games, hopefully play in college. Even after practice you can’t wait to drill that move or tweak he showed you so you can get it down
@genks: Oh, no, I wasn't trying to criticize you in any way. It's just that I was concerned that kids at other schools might take their QB coaches cheap. You're a St Louis alumnus, right? Well, just as a matter of full disclosure, I want St Louis to beat every school except Kahuku. (Well, there are some other schools that I don't want St Louis to beat, but they'll beat them anyway; those schools aren't in that "top tier" that St Louis is in. Even in the Open division, you could probably divide the schools into two tiers.) Kahuku will most certainly be run-oriented this coming season, as they seem to be every season. Yet, of course, there will be times they'll throw the ball. What I don't want is for Kahuku's QB to disdain his QB coach just because that coach isn't Passas. I mean, if a kid won't buy-in and go all-in, then he might as well keep off the team. I think every HC would agree. A school's players need to BELIEVE.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Narbonne is coming back for revenge against the Crusaders! Excited for this last game was a barn burner

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:10 pm Narbonne is coming back for revenge against the Crusaders! Excited for this last game was a barn burner
@genks: So is Kahuku. Whether Narbonne beats St Louis or not, I'm indifferent. Narbonne is out-of-state, and I feel no connection to them whatsoever. But I feel a connection to Kahuku. Like St Louis, they've been right here on Oahu for decades, so they've long been a part of Oahu's fabric. I DO care that Kahuku beats St Louis, but, we'll just have to wait and see whether it happens. Kahuku is the school that I want to see take the state Open title.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:28 pm
genks wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:10 pm Narbonne is coming back for revenge against the Crusaders! Excited for this last game was a barn burner
@genks: So is Kahuku. Whether Narbonne beats St Louis or not, I'm indifferent. Narbonne is out-of-state, and I feel no connection to them whatsoever. But I feel a connection to Kahuku. Like St Louis, they've been right here on Oahu for decades, so they've long been a part of Oahu's fabric. I DO care that Kahuku beats St Louis, but, we'll just have to wait and see whether it happens. Kahuku is the school that I want to see take the state Open title.
Yes the Hawaii State Championship is the big prize.

But on the national level, this is a rematch between 2 championship teams, both fought their hearts out last time.

Really, Kahuku coming for revenge isn’t really news because they usually take the OIA title, usually pretty easily, which guarantees a spot in the state title picture. ILH only gets 1 representative so STL aren’t even guaranteed to meet Kahuku in the semis or finals.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:33 pm

But on the national level, this is a rematch between 2 championship teams, both fought their hearts out last time.

Really, Kahuku coming for revenge isn’t really news because they usually take the OIA title, usually pretty easily, which guarantees a spot in the state title picture. ILH only gets 1 representative so STL aren’t even guaranteed to meet Kahuku in the semis or finals.
@genks: So ILH Open is back to only one representative again? Well, if that's the case, I want St Louis to be that rep. I.e., I back St Louis against Punahou, but not against Kahuku. Also, will Kahuku take OIA Open easily? I don't know; I think Mililani will give them a good rub. Between Kahuku and Mililani, I prefer Kahuku, and I'm talking about Kahuku as a school, not the football team per se. After all, a high school football team represents its school. I don't think of a high school football team as a stand-alone entity.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Got a feeling Kahuku will dedicate this season to Kona Schwenke and try to win states for him!
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:36 pm
genks wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:33 pm

@genks: So ILH Open is back to only one representative again? Well, if that's the case, I want St Louis to be that rep. I.e., I back St Louis against Punahou, but not against Kahuku. Also, will Kahuku take OIA Open easily? I don't know; I think Mililani will give them a good rub. Between Kahuku and Mililani, I prefer Kahuku, and I'm talking about Kahuku as a school, not the football team per se. After all, a high school football team represents its school. I don't think of a high school football team as a stand-alone entity.
Yeah this year Mililani will probably challenge Kahuku, but......

A. That Kahuku defense, well you don’t need me to remind you. Gotta beat them ALL 4 quarters which leads to my next point

B. Mililani seems like they implode when the opposing team makes adjustment, such as Kahuku and ST Louis. Mililani led both and gave up big points in the 2nd half of both games.

Gabriel needs to find that dog in him and bring it out of his team also. Tell you what Kahuku is nothing but dogs, big, strong, fast dogs that 100% believe and fight till the clock runs to zero. Gabriel needs to match that and lead his team to match that. Very difficult.

No one else has a prayer in the OIA to beat Kahuku. I do not care who is transfering to Campbell. Kapolei will not have a strong roster, and still couldn’t get it done when they had a championship caliber team. Not Waianae, not Leilehua, etc etc

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Narbonne-St.Louis should be another epic battle this year. I checked out the Gaucho's Twitter page. There are already about five or six guys by my count with D-I offers. The interesting thing is that most of those players being recruited are juniors and one sophomore. The Crusaders should have the edge in Senior leaders for this matchup.