OIA-ILH schedule

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OIA-ILH schedule

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Re: OIA-ILH schedule

Post by genks »

Wow very interesting you guys and Kahuku open your seasons against each other. STL vs Waianae will the the late game so I’ll get there early to watch Kam vs Kapolei. Very excited for this schedule

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 5:26 pm
Wow very interesting you guys and Kahuku open your seasons against each other. STL vs Waianae will the the late game so I’ll get there early to watch Kam vs Kapolei. Very excited for this schedule
@genks: I suspect Kahuku and Punahou will be playing for the state Open title at the end of the season. I'd prefer that it be Kahuku and St Louis instead, but it seems that Punahou has too many returnees for St Louis to beat. I hope I'm wrong on that one.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 5:39 pm
@genks: I suspect Kahuku and Punahou will be playing for the state Open title at the end of the season. I'd prefer that it be Kahuku and St Louis instead, but it seems that Punahou has too many returnees for St Louis to beat. I hope I'm wrong on that one.
I hope you are wrong also lol. I hope they continue with this moxes league schedule, it should be fun!

I did not get my wish as far as all games at the stadium. Mililani has a pretty large away side with seats that go high enough to actually watch the game, never been to Kapolei or Campbell. Not a fan of the away side at Farrington, only 3 levels and its low. Hard to see what’s happening

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:02 pm

I hope you are wrong also lol. I hope they continue with this moxes league schedule, it should be fun!

I did not get my wish as far as all games at the stadium. Mililani has a pretty large away side with seats that go high enough to actually watch the game, never been to Kapolei or Campbell. Not a fan of the away side at Farrington, only 3 levels and its low. Hard to see what’s happening
@genks: What I don't like about the lower sections at any stadium is that that's where the students sit, so it tends to be crowded and noisy. I recall going to games when I was a student back in the mid-'70s, and other students in those lower sections would boogie to the band, and they'd lean into me with the beat, and some of the girls would even bump me with their butts. I've always been an introvert, so that always would freak me out a little, but I did find it hilarious.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think this is the reason many Open games aren't at the stadium. Somebody said "The OIA agreed to this schedule only if they could host games and keep the money in the OIA. If you add up the parking, tickets and concession stand money, that is some cash that these schools need. I’m talking about the schools like Waianae, Farrington, Campbell."

I also heard rumors that our game against Kahuku will be at the stadium.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:40 am I think this is the reason many Open games aren't at the stadium. Somebody said "The OIA agreed to this schedule only if they could host games and keep the money in the OIA. If you add up the parking, tickets and concession stand money, that is some cash that these schools need. I’m talking about the schools like Waianae, Farrington, Campbell."

@gopunahou: Well, other OIA schools in Open division have stadiums, too. Kahuku and Mililani come to mind. Also, if I'm not mistaken, OIA schools don't/can't charge for parking for school games. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kahuku v Punahou game were at Aloha. Big games like that that will draw a monster crowd, should be at Aloha. Punahou doesn't have a lighted stadium. Kahuku does, but they really don't have adequate parking or seating capacity for such a big-draw game like Kahuku v Punahou. I would like to think that Kahuku probably asked to host the game, not so much for home-field advantage, but because of the monster bucks they would make off the ticket-booth and concessions. Even if Kahuku were able to keep only half of the ticket-booth, that would be pretty big bucks considering the crowd the game would draw. You would think Kahuku probably would have argued that it would be cheaper if the game were played at their stadium. How much does it cost to rent Aloha Stadium for high-school games?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:27 pm
gopunahou wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:40 am I think this is the reason many Open games aren't at the stadium. Somebody said "The OIA agreed to this schedule only if they could host games and keep the money in the OIA. If you add up the parking, tickets and concession stand money, that is some cash that these schools need. I’m talking about the schools like Waianae, Farrington, Campbell."

@gopunahou: Well, other OIA schools in Open division have stadiums, too. Kahuku and Mililani come to mind. Also, if I'm not mistaken, OIA schools don't/can't charge for parking for school games. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kahuku v Punahou game were at Aloha. Big games like that that will draw a monster crowd, should be at Aloha. Punahou doesn't have a lighted stadium. Kahuku does, but they really don't have adequate parking or seating capacity for such a big-draw game like Kahuku v Punahou. I would like to think that Kahuku probably asked to host the game, not so much for home-field advantage, but because of the monster bucks they would make off the ticket-booth and concessions. Even if Kahuku were able to keep only half of the ticket-booth, that would be pretty big bucks considering the crowd the game would draw. You would think Kahuku probably would have argued that it would be cheaper if the game were played at their stadium. How much does it cost to rent Aloha Stadium for high-school games?
Farrington charged for parking when I went to watch them vs Kam last season. I’ve been to Mililani 3 times, and Waianae, neither of them charged me for parking.
I get why the OIA schools would want to host the games. If that will be a deciding factor of continuing these inter league games, I hope people come out to watch these so we can keep it going. I haven’t missed a STL game in the last 3 years unless it was in Hilo or at Iolani because it’s super early while I’m at work. Looks like I’m going to Kapolei, Farrington, Campbell, and Mililani this season

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:57 am

@genks: What I don't like about the lower sections at any stadium is that that's where the students sit, so it tends to be crowded and noisy. I recall going to games when I was a student back in the mid-'70s, and other students in those lower sections would boogie to the band, and they'd lean into me with the beat, and some of the girls would even bump me with their butts. I've always been an introvert, so that always would freak me out a little, but I did find it hilarious.
Girls bumping me with their butts would’ve been awesome lol

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:58 pm

@genks: It was amazing. When our school played, girls in the cheering section would sometimes hug you when the team scored. I didn't even know who they were. And, yes, when the band played, sometimes girls next to you would bump their butt on you as they boogied. I'd look at them in amused surprise, and they'd just smile and continue boogeying. That's what I liked about going to our games. It seemed that as long as you went to the same school and sat in the cheering section, the other students seemed to make you feel that you belonged, even if you didn't know them personally. At our football games, there seemed to be a kind of unity or camaraderie. I miss those days. I don't know if it's still that way today, but that's how it was for our school in the mid-'70s.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Farrington charged for parking when I went to watch them vs Kam last season. I’ve been to Mililani 3 times, and Waianae, neither of them charged me for parking.
I get why the OIA schools would want to host the games. If that will be a deciding factor of continuing these inter league games, I hope people come out to watch these so we can keep it going. I haven’t missed a STL game in the last 3 years unless it was in Hilo or at Iolani because it’s super early while I’m at work. Looks like I’m going to Kapolei, Farrington, Campbell, and Mililani this season
That's something I forgot. The only football venue that charges for parking is Aloha Stadium.

I hope a situation like the one that happened 7 years ago does not happen again. The situation I'm talking about is when Kahuku played Farrington @ Roosevelt. So many people wished to come that they turned people away and therefore played the next three games of the series @ the stadium.

96744z
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 96744z »

I don't see any ILH vs ILH games in the Open Division. Why is that? The OIA teams get to test each other out, but the ILH teams don't. I would like to see how Punahou would fare against St. Louis. Doesn't seem right that they do hot get to play each other during the regular season

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

96744z wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:03 pm I don't see any ILH vs ILH games in the Open Division. Why is that? The OIA teams get to test each other out, but the ILH teams don't. I would like to see how Punahou would fare against St. Louis. Doesn't seem right that they do hot get to play each other during the regular season
ILH hasn't made up there schedule yet. They will play each other though, this season.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:13 pm

@genks: It was amazing. When our school played, girls in the cheering section would sometimes hug you when the team scored. I didn't even know who they were. And, yes, when the band played, sometimes girls next to you would bump their butt on you as they boogied. I'd look at them in amused surprise, and they'd just smile and continue boogeying. That's what I liked about going to our games. It seemed that as long as you went to the same school and sat in the cheering section, the other students seemed to make you feel that you belonged, even if you didn't know them personally. At our football games, there seemed to be a kind of unity or camaraderie. I miss those days. I don't know if it's still that way today, but that's how it was for our school in the mid-'70s.
That is awesome. That’s the goal for high school sports I think, as far as the fans go. To get everyone really excited about cheering on your team, have a good time and support the school

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 6:39 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:13 pm

That is awesome. That’s the goal for high school sports I think, as far as the fans go. To get everyone really excited about cheering on your team, have a good time and support the school
@genks: That was the amazing thing. Some of the girls at our school had strong school spirit; at football games they would cheer along with the cheerleaders and boogie when the band played. They treated other students around them with friendly, spirited familiarity, even if you didn't know them, simply because we all went to the same school. The cheering section was right next to the band, so the overall atmosphere was contagious. Usually that one section that was the cheering section was kind of packed, so there were other students right next to you, and above and below you. That's why those girls were able to bump you with their butts when they boogeyed; they were right next to you. When the band played, we all stood up, because it would look kind of bad if you were sitting while everyone else around you was up and boogeying. As I mentioned earlier, I was an introvert, so I didn't boogie; I just stood. Looking back, I appreciate how those girls made you feel like you belonged, that somehow we were all one.