Football Off-season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Football Off-season

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:28 pm
Neighbor wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Who would that be? Kahuku, Saint Louis, Mililani, again fo sure. Campbell maybe? They still all hype so far though.
@Neighbor: You came very close. I was thinking Kahuku, Punahou, Mililani, and Campbell. St Louis? Well, they're losing so many starters to graduation that I didn't really include them. To be perfectly honest, I don't want to include them. If Mililani or Campbell takes it, well, I can live with that. But, I really don't want to see Punahou or St Louis take it. Not those two schools.
Do you really believe that St Louis doesn’t have a genuine shot at repeating but Campbell has a shot to take it? Yeah losing all those starters sucks. But it’s not like the entire team left and the 3rd team offense and defense is taking over next year. Hell most starters were off the field by half time or end of 3rd quarter in most games.

Before last year, did anyone know Mitchel Quinn? How about Jordan Botelho? Or how about Sykes? Or did anyone (other than those who knew about him of course) take Chevan serious as a qb coming in after Tua?

You can have an opinion and that’s cool, I’m just making an argument for my team.
@genks: OK. I guess St Louis does have a shot. Someone posted last month about their QB, who apparently did well at some clinic or exhibition on the mainland, I think. So, I guess the following five schools have a shot: Kahuku, Punahou, Mililani, Campbell, and St Louis. Plus, St Louis won the ILH JV title, for what that's worth. Usually it takes two years for a championship JV team to have an impact. Having said that, Mililani won the OIA JV title. Keep in mind too that guys have been saying Campbell has been getting all kinds of transfers, plus they were already supposed to be good with the returnees from this past season. That's why I had Campbell having a shot.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:49 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:28 pm

@Neighbor: You came very close. I was thinking Kahuku, Punahou, Mililani, and Campbell. St Louis? Well, they're losing so many starters to graduation that I didn't really include them. To be perfectly honest, I don't want to include them. If Mililani or Campbell takes it, well, I can live with that. But, I really don't want to see Punahou or St Louis take it. Not those two schools.
Do you really believe that St Louis doesn’t have a genuine shot at repeating but Campbell has a shot to take it? Yeah losing all those starters sucks. But it’s not like the entire team left and the 3rd team offense and defense is taking over next year. Hell most starters were off the field by half time or end of 3rd quarter in most games.

Before last year, did anyone know Mitchel Quinn? How about Jordan Botelho? Or how about Sykes? Or did anyone (other than those who knew about him of course) take Chevan serious as a qb coming in after Tua?

You can have an opinion and that’s cool, I’m just making an argument for my team.
@genks: OK. I guess St Louis does have a shot. Someone posted last month about their QB, who apparently did well at some clinic or exhibition on the mainland, I think. So, I guess the following five schools have a shot: Kahuku, Punahou, Mililani, Campbell, and St Louis. Plus, St Louis won the ILH JV title, for what that's worth. Usually it takes two years for a championship JV team to have an impact. Having said that, Mililani won the OIA JV title. Keep in mind too that guys have been saying Campbell has been getting all kinds of transfers, plus they were already supposed to be good with the returnees from this past season. That's why I had Campbell having a shot.
Interesting, I also heard about the transfers. The ones from Kahuku don’t seem to be the killers from that team tho. You think they will have that big of an impact? I need to see them beat Waianae before even considering them anywhere close to the finals. They have returnees but they need to improve BIG in order to really be an advantage on that team. Campbell returning most of their team is a far cry from Kahuku returning most of its team.

How do you figure Punahou has a better chance than St Louis? Where do they have an advantage? Unless they have some incoming playmakers or something, last season was ROUGH. I had a chance to watch the back up qb last year. He’s pretty good. We’ll see. Punahou is always good.

Mililani needs to get something done this year. Gabriel had the benefit of starting a few years, this is his last chance. **IF** Soljay doesn’t return, and Nawahine gone, that may play a role in Mililani being able to take the OIA. But that defense is sooooooo tough. They need to get it done this year with this roster. It wasn’t that long ago, they had a good game against Iolani of all schools for the D1 title.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:24 pm

Interesting, I also heard about the transfers. The ones from Kahuku don’t seem to be the killers from that team tho. You think they will have that big of an impact? I need to see them beat Waianae before even considering them anywhere close to the finals. They have returnees but they need to improve BIG in order to really be an advantage on that team. Campbell returning most of their team is a far cry from Kahuku returning most of its team.

How do you figure Punahou has a better chance than St Louis? Where do they have an advantage? Unless they have some incoming playmakers or something, last season was ROUGH. I had a chance to watch the back up qb last year. He’s pretty good. We’ll see. Punahou is always good.

Mililani needs to get something done this year. Gabriel had the benefit of starting a few years, this is his last chance. **IF** Soljay doesn’t return, and Nawahine gone, that may play a role in Mililani being able to take the OIA. But that defense is sooooooo tough. They need to get it done this year with this roster. It wasn’t that long ago, they had a good game against Iolani of all schools for the D1 title.
One key to improve over last season is to put the ball in the hands of our best returning players--a WR and RB who'll both be juniors. And if the O-Line plays like it did in 2013, that'll give us more of a chance. We haven't chosen a QB yet and likely won't until mid-August. However, both Brady and Muasau (sophomore) can give us the kind of production Tui and Nick Kapule gave us. I think the majority of the defense returns (Maninoa, Kennedy, and Marist). Those seniors HAVE GOT to play with a "refuse to lose" mentality and lead the same way. My take: anything more than two losses will be a massive disappointment.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@genks: I don't know, I've been hearing a lot about Campbell. I'd be surprised if they lost to Waianae, although I hope they do. I prefer Waianae High to Campbell High. True, Campbell returning a lot of players isn't the same as Kahuku returning a lot of players, but then again, that could be said for any school besides Kahuku. That's why I didn't give St Louis a shot originally. They're losing so many players. I think Punahou has a better shot than St Louis because they have choke returnees. Believe me, I do not like that, because I do not like Punahou School. Trust me, I'd rather have St Louis School than Punahou School. But, things are what they are: Punahou has a lot of returnees. Of course, with Mililani High, they revolve around their very good QB. I think he'll be the best QB in the state. And, when Mililani played Iolani for that D1 title two years ago, Mililani smashed Iolani. As for Maiava, someone posted that he is moving to DC, so he's gone. But redraiderforlife said Kahuku has two fairly capable QBs to replace him.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:22 pm

One key to improve over last season is to put the ball in the hands of our best returning players--a WR and RB who'll both be juniors. And if the O-Line plays like it did in 2013, that'll give us more of a chance. We haven't chosen a QB yet and likely won't until mid-August. However, both Brady and Muasau (sophomore) can give us the kind of production Tui and Nick Kapule gave us. I think the majority of the defense returns (Maninoa, Kennedy, and Marist). Those seniors HAVE GOT to play with a "refuse to lose" mentality and lead the same way. My take: anything more than two losses will be a massive disappointment.
@gopunahou: I suspect Brady will win the QB position; he was pretty good this past season when they put him in. As for the "refuse-to-lose" mentality, well, I would imagine St Louis will have that, too. Probably not Kamehameha, as they've been losing so often. I'm still surprised they beat your alma mater for second place.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

@gopunahou: I suspect Brady will win the QB position; he was pretty good this past season when they put him in. As for the "refuse-to-lose" mentality, well, I would imagine St Louis will have that, too. Probably not Kamehameha, as they've been losing so often. I'm still surprised they beat your alma mater for second place.
If Brady wins, Muasau will likely transfer. Regardless, we need that "refuse-to-lose" mentality. It helped the 2013 team win every game and become maybe the best team of the decade.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:55 am

If Brady wins, Muasau will likely transfer. Regardless, we need that "refuse-to-lose" mentality. It helped the 2013 team win every game and become maybe the best team of the decade.
How old is Brady? I assume if Muasau transfers it will be to a public school? Otherwise he’s going to sit for a year. I believe Delaura was a sophomore last year so he will have junior and senior years to play at STL. But you wouldn’t want to sit your junior year.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

I'm surprised there hasn't been any rumors about a QB transferring to Kahuku.

With the whole WR core returning and Vimahi anchoring the O-LIne, and that Defense.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:29 pm I'm surprised there hasn't been any rumors about a QB transferring to Kahuku.

With the whole WR core returning and Vimahi anchoring the O-LIne, and that Defense.
@teamhawaii: I sure hope that that happens. In a perfect world, Mililani QB Gabriel would transfer to Kahuku. Then, we could guarantee that Kahuku will take the state Open title. But of course, we don't live in a perfect world. Gabriel will stay put, and no wonder: Mililani has a good team, too. A neat match-up would be Mililani's O against Kahuku's D. That pits a kick-butt O against a kick-butt D.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:29 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:29 pm I'm surprised there hasn't been any rumors about a QB transferring to Kahuku.

@teamhawaii: I sure hope that that happens. In a perfect world, Mililani QB Gabriel would transfer to Kahuku. Then, we could guarantee that Kahuku will take the state Open title. But of course, we don't live in a perfect world. Gabriel will stay put, and no wonder: Mililani has a good team, too. A neat match-up would be Mililani's O against Kahuku's D. That pits a kick-butt O against a kick-butt D.
We saw that last season with essentially the same players on the team besides a few that graduated. Mililani’s O started well but ran out of steam.

@HS from this post and previous posts you seem to be a big believer in Gabriel. He needs to get some dog in him. He will probably get a lot of press this coming year, but partly because Soljay may be gone, and Delaura is a bit of an unknown.

I don’t know if it’s coaching, training, both or something else, but why does Mililani fold after the half? This year there was a big difference in first half vs second half for them against Kahuku and St Louis, pretty much tye only 2 teams that would really challenge them. I believe it’s happened to them in previous years also. Can’t just be as simple as play calling can it?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:52 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:29 pm

We saw that last season with essentially the same players on the team besides a few that graduated. Mililani’s O started well but ran out of steam.

@HS from this post and previous posts you seem to be a big believer in Gabriel. He needs to get some dog in him. He will probably get a lot of press this coming year, but partly because Soljay may be gone, and Delaura is a bit of an unknown.

I don’t know if it’s coaching, training, both or something else, but why does Mililani fold after the half? This year there was a big difference in first half vs second half for them against Kahuku and St Louis, pretty much tye only 2 teams that would really challenge them. I believe it’s happened to them in previous years also. Can’t just be as simple as play calling can it?
@genks: Well, I think there's no question that Gabriel is supposed to be the best QB this coming season. But, as you say, he'll have to apply himself, have more grit. Even if Maiava did return, he can't throw the ball like Gabriel. As for Mililani petering-out in the second half, I think HC York needs to light a fire under butts. When the O takes the field in the second half, York needs to tell them: "If any of you don't produce, I'll bench you and tap your backup." That has to go for everyone on O, especially Gabriel. But, I don't want York doing that against Kahuku and Campbell, as I prefer those two schools to Mililani. Well, obviously he would do that against Kahuku and Campbell, but I hope it doesn't matter. I.e., I hope Mililani has a bad game when they play Kahuku and Campbell. (At least, bad enough to lose.)

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

genks wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:52 pm@HS from this post and previous posts you seem to be a big believer in Gabriel. He needs to get some dog in him. He will probably get a lot of press this coming year, but partly because Soljay may be gone, and Delaura is a bit of an unknown.
Gabriel is going to get a lot of press but not because Maiava is gone or whatever Delaura is or isn't, it will be because, barring any surprises, he'll be the best QB in the state. Maiava may be a more dynamic athlete, but Gabriel was and is better at playing the QB position and has been since they were both sophomores, maybe even as freshmen when Gabriel had do some emergency spot-starting due to Milton's collarbone injury in the playoffs.

Maiava may turn out to be the more successful QB in college or whatever, but right now in high school I think even Kahuku fans, if they're being 100% objective, would agree that top-to-bottom, taking into consideration all the skills a QB should have and responsibilities he should be able to handle, that Gabriel checks off more boxes.

And HS Football Fanatic, why would Gabriel transferring to Kahuku be "perfect"? He's the trigger man of Mililani's fast-paced, wide-open offense which is perfect for his skill-set. Kahuku is run-heavy and always will be.
Last edited by bandits1 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:01 pm
genks wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:52 pm@HS from this post and previous posts you seem to be a big believer in Gabriel. He needs to get some dog in him. He will probably get a lot of press this coming year, but partly because Soljay may be gone, and Delaura is a bit of an unknown.
Gabriel isn't going to get a lot of press because Maiava is gone or whatever Delaura is or isn't, it will be because, barring any surprises, he'll be the best QB in the state. Maiava may be a more dynamic athlete, but Gabriel was and is better at playing the QB position and has been since they were both sophomores, maybe even as freshmen when Gabriel had do some emergency spot-starting due to Milton's collarbone injury in the playoffs.

Maiava may turn out to be the more successful QB in college or whatever, but right now in high school I think even Kahuku fans, if they're being 100% objective, would agree that top-to-bottom, taking into consideration all the skills a QB should have and responsibilities he should be able to handle, that Gabriel checks off more boxes.

And HS Football Fanatic, why would Gabriel transferring to Kahuku be "perfect"? He's the trigger man of Mililani's fast-paced, wide-open offense which is perfect for his skill-set. Kahuku is run-heavy and always will be.
@bandits1: Well, it would be perfect for Kahuku. Yes, Kahuku is run-oriented, but better to be also able to throw the ball. That's why Kahuku supporters were bummed when Maiava decided to leave: He can throw the ball well.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think screen passes and short passes over the middle would do Kahuku good and give them a more diverse offense. And don't give me any crap about smashmouth offenses being infallible, especially if there is no passing. That's what Kahuku tried in 2004 and 2008 and lost both times. Every time they've played us in the title game they've had long touchdowns on passes. Screen passes and short passes over the middle--kind of like a West Coast offense--would keep the clock running and the opponent's offense off the field.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:55 pm I think screen passes and short passes over the middle would do Kahuku good and give them a more diverse offense. And don't give me any crap about smashmouth offenses being infallible, especially if there is no passing. That's what Kahuku tried in 2004 and 2008 and lost both times. Every time they've played us in the title game they've had long touchdowns on passes. Screen passes and short passes over the middle--kind of like a West Coast offense--would keep the clock running and the opponent's offense off the field.
@gopunahou: Well, Gabriel is more of a longball QB, right? Also, a smashmouth O can be very successful if a school has a good RB and a good O-line. Obviously, if the opposing school has a good defensive front-seven, that could pose problems. How good will Punahou's defensive front-seven be this coming season? Those screen passes and short passes over the middle would be necessary only if the opposing school has a good D-line. And, doesn't the clock "run faster" if the schools playing are run-oriented? What keeps the other school's O off the field is a run-oriented O, right? And don't forget, when you throw those screen passes and short passes over the middle, you run the risk of the other school's LBs picking-off those passes.