Football Off-season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: Football Off-season

Post by genks »

bandits1 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:01 pm
genks wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:52 pm@HS from this post and previous posts you seem to be a big believer in Gabriel. He needs to get some dog in him. He will probably get a lot of press this coming year, but partly because Soljay may be gone, and Delaura is a bit of an unknown.
Gabriel is going to get a lot of press but not because Maiava is gone or whatever Delaura is or isn't, it will be because, barring any surprises, he'll be the best QB in the state. Maiava may be a more dynamic athlete, but Gabriel was and is better at playing the QB position and has been since they were both sophomores, maybe even as freshmen when Gabriel had do some emergency spot-starting due to Milton's collarbone injury in the playoffs.

Maiava may turn out to be the more successful QB in college or whatever, but right now in high school I think even Kahuku fans, if they're being 100% objective, would agree that top-to-bottom, taking into consideration all the skills a QB should have and responsibilities he should be able to handle, that Gabriel checks off more boxes.

And HS Football Fanatic, why would Gabriel transferring to Kahuku be "perfect"? He's the trigger man of Mililani's fast-paced, wide-open offense which is perfect for his skill-set. Kahuku is run-heavy and always will be.
I’m not saying he’s not good. I think Soljay gets more attention because Kahuku beat mililani, he led Kahuku to states twice, and showed huge improvement in 1 year of letting him throw. He was a big talking point. If Delaura turns out to be a killer, guess who will be getting most of the press. Just like Chevan. Without Soljay, Tua, Chevan, Gabriel will get all the attention because of the known QBs he SHOULD be the best one.

I agree Gabriel wouldn’t necessarily be a fit at Kahuku just because he’s a good qb. Soljay runs read options, and the like much better. Soljay has the perfect skill set for Kahuku’s offense

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:22 pm
genks wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:52 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:29 pm

@teamhawaii: I sure hope that that happens. In a perfect world, Mililani QB Gabriel would transfer to Kahuku. Then, we could guarantee that Kahuku will take the state Open title. But of course, we don't live in a perfect world. Gabriel will stay put, and no wonder: Mililani has a good team, too. A neat match-up would be Mililani's O against Kahuku's D. That pits a kick-butt O against a kick-butt D.
We saw that last season with essentially the same players on the team besides a few that graduated. Mililani’s O started well but ran out of steam.

@HS from this post and previous posts you seem to be a big believer in Gabriel. He needs to get some dog in him. He will probably get a lot of press this coming year, but partly because Soljay may be gone, and Delaura is a bit of an unknown.

I don’t know if it’s coaching, training, both or something else, but why does Mililani fold after the half? This year there was a big difference in first half vs second half for them against Kahuku and St Louis, pretty much tye only 2 teams that would really challenge them. I believe it’s happened to them in previous years also. Can’t just be as simple as play calling can it?
@genks: Well, I think there's no question that Gabriel is supposed to be the best QB this coming season. But, as you say, he'll have to apply himself, have more grit. Even if Maiava did return, he can't throw the ball like Gabriel. As for Mililani petering-out in the second half, I think HC York needs to light a fire under butts. When the O takes the field in the second half, York needs to tell them: "If any of you don't produce, I'll bench you and tap your backup." That has to go for everyone on O, especially Gabriel. But, I don't want York doing that against Kahuku and Campbell, as I prefer those two schools to Mililani. Well, obviously he would do that against Kahuku and Campbell, but I hope it doesn't matter. I.e., I hope Mililani has a bad game when they play Kahuku and Campbell. (At least, bad enough to lose.)
I think Mililani shreds Campbell and loses to Kahuku. I could be wrong but that’s my early guess. This past season, both Kahuku’s and St Louis’s defense had that dog in them. They both rallied and made the plays they needed to stop the opposing teams. It’s so hard to count Kahuku’s defense out and say Mililani will beat them.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:38 pm
genks wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:52 pm@HS from this post and previous posts you seem to be a big believer in Gabriel. He needs to get some dog in him. He will probably get a lot of press this coming year, but partly because Soljay may be gone, and Delaura is a bit of an unknown.
Gabriel is going to get a lot of press but not because Maiava is gone or whatever Delaura is or isn't, it will be because, barring any surprises, he'll be the best QB in the state. Maiava may be a more dynamic athlete, but Gabriel was and is better at playing the QB position and has been since they were both sophomores, maybe even as freshmen when Gabriel had do some emergency spot-starting due to Milton's collarbone injury in the playoffs.

Maiava may turn out to be the more successful QB in college or whatever, but right now in high school I think even Kahuku fans, if they're being 100% objective, would agree that top-to-bottom, taking into consideration all the skills a QB should have and responsibilities he should be able to handle, that Gabriel checks off more boxes.

And HS Football Fanatic, why would Gabriel transferring to Kahuku be "perfect"? He's the trigger man of Mililani's fast-paced, wide-open offense which is perfect for his skill-set. Kahuku is run-heavy and always will be.
I’m not saying he’s not good. I think Soljay gets more attention because Kahuku beat mililani, he led Kahuku to states twice, and showed huge improvement in 1 year of letting him throw. He was a big talking point. If Delaura turns out to be a killer, guess who will be getting most of the press. Just like Chevan. Without Soljay, Tua, Chevan, Gabriel will get all the attention because of the known QBs he SHOULD be the best one.

I agree Gabriel wouldn’t necessarily be a fit at Kahuku just because he’s a good qb. Soljay runs read options, and the like much better. Soljay has the perfect skill set for Kahuku’s offense
@genks: Well, someone on this thread posted that Kahuku will have good receivers. Those players are a wasted resource without a QB like Gabriel. And, let's remember that Maiava is gone, so, so much for his read-option skills. How are Kahuku's RBs?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:45 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:22 pm
genks wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:52 pm

We saw that last season with essentially the same players on the team besides a few that graduated. Mililani’s O started well but ran out of steam.

@HS from this post and previous posts you seem to be a big believer in Gabriel. He needs to get some dog in him. He will probably get a lot of press this coming year, but partly because Soljay may be gone, and Delaura is a bit of an unknown.

I "shknow if it’s coaching, training, both or something else, but why does Mililani fold after the half? This year there was a big difference in first half vs second half for them against Kahuku and St Louis, pretty much tye only 2 teams that would really challenge them. I believe it’s happened to them in previous years also. Can’t just be as simple as play calling can it?
@genks: Well, I think there's no question that Gabriel is supposed to be the best QB this coming season. But, as you say, he'll have to apply himself, have more grit. Even if Maiava did return, he can't throw the ball like Gabriel. As for Mililani petering-out in the second half, I think HC York needs to light a fire under butts. When the O takes the field in the second half, York needs to tell them: "If any of you don't produce, I'll bench you and tap your backup." That has to go for everyone on O, especially Gabriel. But, I don't want York doing that against Kahuku and Campbell, as I prefer those two schools to Mililani. Well, obviously he would do that against Kahuku and Campbell, but I hope it doesn't matter. I.e., I hope Mililani has a bad game when they play Kahuku and Campbell. (At least, bad enough to lose.)
I think Mililani shreds Campbell and loses to Kahuku. I could be wrong but that’s my early guess. This past season, both Kahuku’s and St Louis’s defense had that dog in them. They both rallied and made the plays they needed to stop the opposing teams. It’s so hard to count Kahuku’s defense out and say Mililani will beat them.
@genks: Well, I'd agree that Mililani would probably beat Campbell, but I'm not so sure that they'd "shred" them. Campbell is supposed to have one of the better teams in the state, especially with all those reported transfers. Regarding St Louis, no question that they had a good D last season. But, they're losing a lot of starters to graduation. Kahuku is supposed to have more returnees on D; I agree that Kahuku would probably beat Mililani.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:07 am

@genks: Well, someone on this thread posted that Kahuku will have good receivers. Those players are a wasted resource without a QB like Gabriel. And, let's remember that Maiava is gone, so, so much for his read-option skills. How are Kahuku's RBs?
Not necessarily wasted recource, they can be dangerous with play action and I’m sure the qb is capable of hitting them. Even if they had Gabriel they would still be a run first team. Not sure how their next RB will be but behind that line I’d guess he will do fine.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Not necessarily wasted recource, they can be dangerous with play action and I’m sure the qb is capable of hitting them. Even if they had Gabriel they would still be a run first team. Not sure how their next RB will be but behind that line I’d guess he will do fine.
@genks: Well, again, a guy posted that Kahuku will have good receivers; I guess what I had in mind from that are receivers who are long-ball threats, like St Louis' Quinn. As for Kahuku's QB corps, again, rrforlife posted that they'll be fairly capable. As for their RB, well, I think that it might not be enough just to have a good O-line; I think the RB has to be above average, if a school's run game is going to do well. The school that comes to mind for me is Kamehameha. Seems that almost every year, they have a good O-line and a good RB, yet their rushing yardage is only so-so. What it might be is that every year, Kahuku has a better O-line and a better RB than Kamehameha does.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:08 pm

@genks: Well, again, a guy posted that Kahuku will have good receivers; I guess what I had in mind from that are receivers who are long-ball threats, like St Louis' Quinn. As for Kahuku's QB corps, again, rrforlife posted that they'll be fairly capable. As for their RB, well, I think that it might not be enough just to have a good O-line; I think the RB has to be above average, if a school's run game is going to do well. The school that comes to mind for me is Kamehameha. Seems that almost every year, they have a good O-line and a good RB, yet their rushing yardage is only so-so. What it might be is that every year, Kahuku has a better O-line and a better RB than Kamehameha does.
Seems like the Kahuku RBs have been stronger, where as Shannon was on the small side. Guys like Vakapuna could power through and break free for a big run

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:14 pm

Seems like the Kahuku RBs have been stronger, where as Shannon was on the small side. Guys like Vakapuna could power through and break free for a big run
@genks: OK, but Shannon was the top rusher in the ILH, despite his size. Some guys say it's because Kamehameha is run-oriented, but not excessively so this past season. They had a decent passer in Yam, as well as good receivers. I think the point is that, again, a school might no longer be able to rely on only a good O-line to have a good run game; the RB has to have some redeeming quality, whether it be size or shiftiness. (Let's not forget about the slashing, shifty RBs. Two RBs come to mind who were like that: Joe Igber, who played for Iolani in the late-'90s, and Adrian Murrell, who played for Leilehua in the late-'80s.)

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

Kahuku Starting RB (If he’s still attending Kahuku) is Wesley Alo Maiava. He’s more than capable to handle the workload especially with returning FB Toalei Lefau.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:39 pm
genks wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:14 pm

@genks: OK, but Shannon was the top rusher in the ILH, despite his size. Some guys say it's because Kamehameha is run-oriented, but not excessively so this past season. They had a decent passer in Yam, as well as good receivers. I think the point is that, again, a school might no longer be able to rely on only a good O-line to have a good run game; the RB has to have some redeeming quality, whether it be size or shiftiness. (Let's not forget about the slashing, shifty RBs. Two RBs come to mind who were like that: Joe Igber, who played for Iolani in the late-'90s, and Adrian Murrell, who played for Leilehua in the late-'80s.)
Shannon was the leading rusher but STL and PUN rarely ran the ball. Top ILH receiver would probably be much more prestigious.

But I hear ya, can’t just have a poor back no matter how good the line is.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

teamhawaii wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:42 pm Kahuku Starting RB (If he’s still attending Kahuku) is Wesley Alo Maiava. He’s more than capable to handle the workload especially with returning FB Toalei Lefau.
Yup, assuming Wes is healthy and hasn't transferred, Big Red's running game has no worries.

Straightupkanakz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Straightupkanakz »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:22 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:42 pm Kahuku Starting RB (If he’s still attending Kahuku) is Wesley Alo Maiava. He’s more than capable to handle the workload especially with returning FB Toalei Lefau.
Yup, assuming Wes is healthy and hasn't transferred, Big Red's running game has no worries.
Wes is still at kahuku and is training very hard for next season especially now that it's confirmed that soljay is officially at saint John cadets. It's a sad feeling for kahuku fans but that's the way it is and kahuku now knows that and will be ready for this tough tough season ahead

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@teamhawaii: OK, that's good news. It seems apparent that Kahuku will have a good run game; they have a good O-line, and two decent RBs.