ILH-OIA merger—hope this is true

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: ILH-OIA merger—hope this is true

Post by genks »

Dog 96707 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:19 am The stl qb will be a Damien transfer delaura. never played a varsity snap, not sure how he'll be.
Also heard that sol jay might be leaving kahuku? can anyone else confirm this?
I’m very interested in how he will look. Waiting for scrimmage time to roll around so we can get a peak at him. Last year people said STL was nothing without Tua, but Chevan was sorta a little secret. We knew he was good and we’ve seen him throw. We just didn’t know he was THAT good. But this year, I don’t know anything about Delaura. He’s got 2 year so that’s a plus.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Straightupkanakz wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:55 pm Actually soljay is still at kahuku and right now he's with his hukilau team getting ready for pylon tournament in Arizona but what I heard that he might transfer to a school in Washington. I hope he stays because this team is really loaded on offense and defense.
@Straightupkanakz: I sure hope he stays. If he does, it's almost certain he'll be a better QB than St Louis' DeLaura. Then Kahuku will be able to settle accounts. And yes, Kahuku will have lots of returnees from this year's team. I'm still picking them to take the state Open title.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I feel that Kamehameha is going to be better than some people think. For the next two years they are going to play every Open opponent once. That means that they won't be handicapped by losing four games each year to Punahou and St.Louis as has been the case recently.

I would posit that they have what it takes to beat St.Louis this fall...we shall see.
The Warriors should be counting on big OL Lokahi Pauole,WR's Skyler Ramos and Alec Serrano, DL Ezra Evaimalo,and LB Hoku Arias to lead the way. Serrano doubles as a decent kick-returner. Playmakers on both sides of the ball.

St.Louis should feature OL Arasi Mose,DL Faatui Tuitele,and LB's Jordan Botelho and Kila Kamakawiwo'ole.

Kamehameha would seem to have better balance returning than St.Louis does. The Crusaders would seem to have to depend heavily on their defense this coming fall while trying to reload with mostly new faces on offense.I feel like the Crusaders are going to take some lumps early while trying to replace the offense that mostly will graduate this spring.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:15 pm I feel that Kamehameha is going to be better than some people think. For the next two years they are going to play every Open opponent once. That means that they won't be handicapped by losing four games each year to Punahou and St.Louis as has been the case recently.

I would posit that they have what it takes to beat St.Louis this fall...we shall see.
The Warriors should be counting on big OL Lokahi Pauole,WR's Skyler Ramos and Alec Serrano, DL Ezra Evaimalo,and LB Hoku Arias to lead the way. Serrano doubles as a decent kick-returner. Playmakers on both sides of the ball.

St.Louis should feature OL Arasi Mose,DL Faatui Tuitele,and LB's Jordan Botelho and Kila Kamakawiwo'ole.

Kamehameha would seem to have better balance returning than St.Louis does. The Crusaders would seem to have to depend heavily on their defense this coming fall while trying to reload with mostly new faces on offense.I feel like the Crusaders are going to take some lumps early while trying to replace the offense that mostly will graduate this spring.
Are you saying that the three ILH open teams will finish in the top four? Because for Punahou, it’d be inexcusable not to contend with the talent that returns and is coming in. Tufono, Liufau, and Makaula on defense. Clemens, Uluave (sophomore-to-be and brother of Semisi and Alama), along with solid returnees at WR and RB who shined as sophomores and two QBs who can play with the big boys on offense. We’ve got as much of a chance to beat St. Louis as we did in 2015 and 2016. That is if the offense puts the hands in the balls our best playmakers.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:15 pm I feel that Kamehameha is going to be better than some people think. For the next two years they are going to play every Open opponent once. That means that they won't be handicapped by losing four games each year to Punahou and St.Louis as has been the case recently.

@unpaid:
Well, Kamehameha might be even with St Louis in two ways:
1. Both schools will have questionable QBs. (And when was the last time St Louis was questionable at QB?)
2. Both schools likely won't have much of a run game.

I have a bad feeling that Punahou will beat both Kamehameha and St Louis, and I really don't want that to happen.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

gopunahou,

I would not go so far as to say that the Big 3 ILH schools will finish in the top 4 in D-I before states. I do think that the ILH Open teams most likely will finish in the top five before league and states playoffs take place.

Right now,In my probable D-I rank after regular season play, I could see Kamehameha and St.Louis in the 4 and five spots. Mililani could be three. Kahuku and Punahou ,to me would seem to be the class of the state and could duke it out for champ and runner-up.

HS Football Fanatic,

I can tell you don't prefer Punahou over St.Louis. Still, the Puns have a lot coming back in vets that St.Louis won' t have due to graduation. I think 2018 is going to be Punahou's year in the ILH. As for states....well,Kahuku should have something to say about that.

JMHO.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:58 pm gopunahou,

I would not go so far as to say that the Big 3 ILH schools will finish in the top 4 in D-I before states. I do think that the ILH Open teams most likely will finish in the top five before league and states playoffs take place.

Right now,In my probable D-I rank after regular season play, I could see Kamehameha and St.Louis in the 4 and five spots. Mililani could be three. Kahuku and Punahou ,to me would seem to be the class of the state and could duke it out for champ and runner-up.

HS Football Fanatic,

I can tell you don't prefer Punahou over St.Louis. Still, the Puns have a lot coming back in vets that St.Louis won' t have due to graduation. I think 2018 is going to be Punahou's year in the ILH. As for states....well,Kahuku should have something to say about that.

JMHO.
@unpaid: You might just be right that it will be Punahou's year in the ILH. Well, Kahuku is going to have to beat them in States. If Maiava returns, I'd like to think they can and will.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 pm

@unpaid:
1. Both schools will have questionable QBs. (And when was the last time St Louis was questionable at QB?)

I have a bad feeling that Punahou will beat both Kamehameha and St Louis, and I really don't want that to happen.
Come on, don’t say that! :D

Would it be any worse than St. Louis and Iolani both winning it all next year? :evil:
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:23 pm

@unpaid:

Would it be any worse than St. Louis and Iolani both winning it all next year? :evil:
@gopunahou: I've said the following many times, gopunahou. I have the utmost respect for you because you are a true gentleman when you post. But, I simply cannot stand your alma mater. I apologize for that, but I really can't help how I feel, right? And, yes, I hate to say it, but Punahou winning it all would be worse than St Louis and Iolani both winning it all. I don't like Iolani School very much at all, but, as you probably know, I dislike Punahou School even more. I apologize for that.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

@unpaid:

I will just say, that this time last year I believe everyone in the forum picked Punahou to clean out the ILH, stating STL would not make it back to states because they probably won’t win the ILH. I believe this was based on a returning oline, among other big name players Punahou had returning. Plus a stud qb named Barber was gonna beat “the guy after Tua”.

I also agree that Kam will get some valuable playing time against teams other than Punahou and STL, and will do pretty well.

Punahou is always dangerous, Kam could surprise, STL hurting on both sides of the ball. Should be interesting 😎

I’m looking forward to the OIA opponents

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:37 pm @gopunahou: I've said the following many times, gopunahou. I have the utmost respect for you because you are a true gentleman when you post. But, I simply cannot stand your alma mater. I apologize for that, but I really can't help how I feel, right? And, yes, I hate to say it, but Punahou winning it all would be worse than St Louis and Iolani both winning it all. I don't like Iolani School very much at all, but, as you probably know, I dislike Punahou School even more. I apologize for that.
I was joking. You shouldn't have taken my post seriously.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:29 pm

@unpaid:

I will just say, that this time last year I believe everyone in the forum picked Punahou to clean out the ILH, stating STL would not make it back to states because they probably won’t win the ILH. I believe this was based on a returning oline, among other big name players Punahou had returning. Plus a stud qb named Barber was gonna beat “the guy after Tua”.

I also agree that Kam will get some valuable playing time against teams other than Punahou and STL, and will do pretty well.

Punahou is always dangerous, Kam could surprise, STL hurting on both sides of the ball. Should be interesting 😎

I’m looking forward to the OIA opponents
@gopunahou: Well, again, I still think that as far as the ILH D1 is concerned, Punahou is in the catbird seat. St Louis is losing too many senior starters to graduation, plus new QB DeLaura will be nothing like Cordeiro. Kamehameha will probably be decent at best, but I don't think they have a quality QB or RB. As far as the OIA is concerned, the only schools that should play Punahou close are Campbell and Mililani. I don't think Punahou will beat Kahuku.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:56 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:37 pm @gopunahou: I've said the following many times, gopunahou. I have the utmost respect for you because you are a true gentleman when you post. But, I simply cannot stand your alma mater. I apologize for that, but I really can't help how I feel, right? And, yes, I hate to say it, but Punahou winning it all would be worse than St Louis and Iolani both winning it all. I don't like Iolani School very much at all, but, as you probably know, I dislike Punahou School even more. I apologize for that.
I was joking. You shouldn't have taken my post seriously.
@gopunahou: Even so. You have a lot of class, and you show it all the time. Though I don't like your alma mater, you are a credit to them as an alumnus.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

Punahou should be the top ilh team. But it seems like I say this every year, and they were at the bottom of the ilh d1 last year. lol I agree that they have tons of talent coming back, but Ane and his staff need to do a much better job than they did last season. Kahuku will be on another level this year. But if sol jay leaves that'll be a huge loss.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Dog 96707 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:58 am Punahou should be the top ilh team. But it seems like I say this every year, and they were at the bottom of the ilh d1 last year. lol I agree that they have tons of talent coming back, but Ane and his staff need to do a much better job than they did last season. Kahuku will be on another level this year. But if sol jay leaves that'll be a huge loss.
Putting the ball in the hands of our best players is a start. And since a lot of basketball players also play football (and will return, like Tamatoa, Duke, Maninoa, and Kaulana), build on the experience of winning the BB title. The 2008 team did that (Manti, Robbie, and Dalton were also BB players and won the BB state title as juniors and FB state title as seniors).