ILH-OIA merger—hope this is true

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: ILH-OIA merger—hope this is true

Post by bandits1 »

genks wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:44 pmI hear you

I love being at the games and watching live. But it’s also the only way I can watch, because OC16 has no love for ILH games. Although with the merge I wonder if they will play the regular (non playoff) OIA vs ILH games on tv. They did show STL can Waianae, so it’s possible.
I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember reading that it's the ILH that doesn't want their games televised on OC16, not the other way around. Something about hurting ticket sales or whatever.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

bandits1 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:08 pm

I love being at the games and watching live. But it’s also the only way I can watch, because OC16 has no love for ILH games. Although with the merge I wonder if they will play the regular (non playoff) OIA vs ILH games on tv. They did show STL can Waianae, so it’s possible.
I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember reading that it's the ILH that doesn't want their games televised on OC16, not the other way around. Something about hurting ticket sales or whatever.
@bandits1: I think you're right. It's the ILH that doesn't want its games televised. Actually, I'm glad they don't. I don't want Punahou's and St Louis' games on TV. I'm OK with Pearl City; there's nothing about that school that annoys me or that I dislike. But Punahou and St Louis? No. genks, if you're reading this, my apologies. Think you said you're a St Louis alumnus. At least I'd rather have St Louis than Punahou.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

No one has posted anything about Okimoto stepping-down at Farrington High.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

bandits1 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:08 pm

I think Aloha Stadium is the one that does not want its games on TV. The people there think that live TV will hurt attendance. There’ve been many on-campus ILH games on OC16 (we’ve faced Iolani on TV at least four times, along with Kamehameha playing them on TV maybe three times). The best ILH games have always been at the stadium, so that’s why many good ILH games aren’t on TV.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Like St. Francis basketball (criticized for feasting weak competition), 'Iolani football (also criticized for feasting on weak competition) is moving up. I say give that a chance. They match up with a lot of teams in D1 and may finish in the top 3.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:21 am Like St. Francis basketball (criticized for feasting weak competition), 'Iolani football (also criticized for feasting on weak competition) is moving up. I say give that a chance. They match up with a lot of teams in D1 and may finish in the top 3.
@gopunahou: Can't argue with that. I agree St Francis should move-up to D1, simply out of a sense of fairness. Their staying in D2 is unfair to the other genuine D2 schools. That's all it is for me; I don't have feelings about St Francis one way or another. Iolani is another story. I still think Iolani School's football players tend to have a size disadvantage almost every year. Also, their turnout (for tryouts) is lower than that of schools like your alma mater, for example. So, Iolani has a size and numbers disadvantage almost every year. However, unlike with St Francis School, I don't care for Iolani School very much at all. Therefore, I'm wary about having too much sympathy for them.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:18 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:21 am Like St. Francis basketball (criticized for feasting weak competition), 'Iolani football (also criticized for feasting on weak competition) is moving up. I say give that a chance. They match up with a lot of teams in D1 and may finish in the top 3.
@gopunahou: Can't argue with that. I agree St Francis should move-up to D1, simply out of a sense of fairness. Their staying in D2 is unfair to the other genuine D2 schools. That's all it is for me; I don't have feelings about St Francis one way or another. Iolani is another story. I still think Iolani School's football players tend to have a size disadvantage almost every year. Also, their turnout (for tryouts) is lower than that of schools like your alma mater, for example. So, Iolani has a size and numbers disadvantage almost every year. However, unlike with St Francis School, I don't care for Iolani School very much at all. Therefore, I'm wary about having too much sympathy for them.
The rumor is that Iolani is bringing in a lot of big sophomores-to-be. Believe it or not, there were two years (1997 and 1998) that Iolani had a bigger team than Punahou. Regarding the 2018 team, maybe playing the likes of Castle, Kailua, and Aiea will help them improve.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:02 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:18 pm
The rumor is that Iolani is bringing in a lot of big sophomores-to-be. Believe it or not, there were two years (1997 and 1998) that Iolani had a bigger team than Punahou. Regarding the 2018 team, maybe playing the likes of Castle, Kailua, and Aiea will help them improve.
@gopunahou: Well, I've got mixed feelings about Iolani getting big players. On the one hand, it's fairer for them that they have players big enough that Iolani can take-on D1 schools, which usually have a fair number of big players. On the other hand, seeing as I don't care for Iolani a whole lot, I don't really want to see them win many games. For example, I prefer all three OIA schools you mentioned--Castle, Kailua, and Aiea--to Iolani. So, I wouldn't want to see Iolani beat any of them. Having said that, I think Kailua is misplaced there. Of those three OIA schools, only Kailua seems to have big linemen every year. Even Aiea isn't usually small on the line. It's Castle that often has smaller linemen.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

I dunno, physical size of your players and roster count from season-to-season doesn't matter too much to me, within reason of course -- Kaiser's low head count got pretty ridiculous last season. Unless you plan on letting teams freely move up and down divisions every season based on if they have big dudes or not, which sounds pretty stupid and non-competitive, you play in the division you've proven to be generally competitive in. Not necessarily the one you're guaranteed to win the championship in, but the one where most of your games are competitive ones, win or lose.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:14 pm I dunno, physical size of your players and roster count from season-to-season doesn't matter too much to me, within reason of course -- Kaiser's low head count got pretty ridiculous last season. Unless you plan on letting teams freely move up and down divisions every season based on if they have big dudes or not, which sounds pretty stupid and non-competitive, you play in the division you've proven to be generally competitive in. Not necessarily the one you're guaranteed to win the championship in, but the one where most of your games are competitive ones, win or lose.
@bandits1: I think Kaiser belongs in D2. Kaiser High today isn't the Kaiser High of the late-'70s. Those were the days when Kaiser was kicking almost everyone's butts, but my, how things have changed. For the past five years or so, they just haven't had the thick linemen they need. Also, as you mentioned, their player turnout has been small, with the resulting small rosters. And, look how badly Kaiser was beaten-up this past season. They had to forfeit what, two or three games, before Kaiser's principal cancelled the remainder of their season, even their homecoming game. Imagine how Kaiser alumni felt. As for Iolani, you and gopunahou seem to be saying that Iolani belongs in D1. I'm OK with that, too. But, my conscience bothers me a little on that one. But, if gopunahou is right about Iolani getting some big sophs, well, that would allay my conscience. Again, I don't care for Iolani School very much at all, but my conscience bugs me sometimes about their (usual) lack of size. Obviously, I'm not responsible for their usual lack of size, but I wince sometimes when they get beaten-up physically by schools like St Louis and Punahou.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

^^^Kaiser most definitely belongs in the lowest possible division. That goes without saying. Last season their team was a train wreck in every way a team can be. Unless Miano returns and is allowed to run the program how he wants with no questions asked, they stay in D2 for the foreseeable future.

And again, the details of Iolani's incoming roster's size and/or skill is irrelevant, IMO, outside of just talking football for football's sake and not making excuses in advance why they're not going to win next season's D2 championship. Looking at last season's rosters, none of Leilehua, Radford, Nanakuli or Waipahu's rosters were especially big in physical size and/or head count. And we don't hear them complaining or using it as an excuse because they know they're playing in the division they'll be competitive in, win or lose. Same thing with Iolani, more than almost anyone else in D2, they've proven to be competitive at that level of competition.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:39 pm ^^^Kaiser most definitely belongs in the lowest possible division. That goes without saying. Last season their team was a train wreck in every way a team can be. Unless Miano returns and is allowed to run the program how he wants with no questions asked, they stay in D2 for the foreseeable future.

And again, the details of Iolani's incoming roster's size and/or skill is irrelevant, IMO, outside of just talking football for football's sake and not making excuses in advance why they're not going to win next season's D2 championship. Looking at last season's rosters, none of Leilehua, Radford, Nanakuli or Waipahu's rosters were especially big in physical size and/or head count. And we don't hear them complaining or using it as an excuse because they know they're playing in the division they'll be competitive in, win or lose. Same thing with Iolani, more than almost anyone else in D2, they've proven to be competitive at that level of competition.
@bandits1: Don't know if it's true, but I heard that Kaiser High will have a new coach, Tim Seaman. He's a Kaiser alumnus; I think he graduated in the mid-'80s or so. If I recall correctly, he coached at McKinley High back in the early-'90s. Accept that Radford and Nanakuli may not have had deep rosters, but what about size? Radford and Nanakuli usually don't want for physical size, especially Nanakuli. Aside from those two schools, I think we have to look at Leilehua High and Waipahu High differently. Leilehua High has long been a lot like Castle High: Not necessarily that big on the line, but very scrappy. Waipahu High shouldn't have a small roster, as I think they are the second-biggest high-school on the island, in terms of enrollment. Also, Waipahu usually has decent size on the line. Now, Iolani, we know that they rarely have size on the line. I think the reason that Iolani has had success against some D1 schools is that they've had talent at the skill positions. But, they're usually still kind of small on the line. So, win or lose against D1 schools, Iolani usually takes a physical beating. Imagine Iolani's linemen going-up against St Louis' linemen and Punahou's linemen throughout a game. Now, again, I want guys to understand that I am not fond of Iolani School at all, but I still sympathize with the physical beating they would take in D1. I really think Iolani coach (and alumnus) Look has a point there, though some guys say he's whining.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:15 pm
bandits1 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:39 pm ^^^Kaiser most definitely belongs in the lowest possible division. That goes without saying. Last season their team was a train wreck in every way a team can be. Unless Miano returns and is allowed to run the program how he wants with no questions asked, they stay in D2 for the foreseeable future.

@bandits1: Don't know if it's true, but I heard that Kaiser High will have a new coach, Tim Seaman. He's a Kaiser alumnus; I think he graduated in the mid-'80s or so. If I recall correctly, he coached at McKinley High back in the early-'90s. Accept that Radford and Nanakuli may not have had deep rosters, but what about size? Radford and Nanakuli usually don't want for physical size, especially Nanakuli. Aside from those two schools, I think we have to look at Leilehua High and Waipahu High differently. Leilehua High has long been a lot like Castle High: Not necessarily that big on the line, but very scrappy. Waipahu High shouldn't have a small roster, as I think they are the second-biggest high-school on the island, in terms of enrollment. Also, Waipahu usually has decent size on the line. Now, Iolani, we know that they rarely have size on the line. I think the reason that Iolani has had success against some D1 schools is that they've had talent at the skill positions. But, they're usually still kind of small on the line. So, win or lose against D1 schools, Iolani usually takes a physical beating. Imagine Iolani's linemen going-up against St Louis' linemen and Punahou's linemen throughout a game. Now, again, I want guys to understand that I am not fond of Iolani School at all, but I still sympathize with the physical beating they would take in D1. I really think Iolani coach (and alumnus) Look has a point there, though some guys say he's whining.
About Iolani--will they ever see years like the ones they had with Brian Ah Yat and later Joe Igber? Or is that a pinnacle that they'll never reach again?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:23 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:15 pm

About Iolani--will they ever see years like the ones they had with Brian Ah Yat and later Joe Igber? Or is that a pinnacle that they'll never reach again?
@gopunahou: Well, God only knows, right? There could always be another Ah Yat or another Igber at Iolani School. And, you yourself posted that there are sophomores at Iolani going-out for football, who have some size. That's a good sign for that school.