ILH-OIA merger—hope this is true

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Straightupkanakz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: ILH-OIA merger—hope this is true

Post by Straightupkanakz »

I had kahuku favored to win it all this coming season but since soljay might be leaving it makes the playing ground even. Kahuku defense is something to watch this year and if there is no soljay then the jumbo package must comeback for them to have a chance.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Dog 96707 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:58 am Punahou should be the top ilh team. But it seems like I say this every year, and they were at the bottom of the ilh d1 last year. lol I agree that they have tons of talent coming back, but Ane and his staff need to do a much better job than they did last season. Kahuku will be on another level this year. But if sol jay leaves that'll be a huge loss.
@Dog 96707: Yeah, it looks like Punahou will take the ILH. They finished at the bottom of ILH D1 last year only because of that upset loss to Kamehameha. As for Maiava, anyone know what's up with him? I hope he didn't transfer to Campbell; I'd rather have Kahuku than Campbell.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Straightupkanakz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:17 pm I had kahuku favored to win it all this coming season but since soljay might be leaving it makes the playing ground even. Kahuku defense is something to watch this year and if there is no soljay then the jumbo package must comeback for them to have a chance.
@Straightupkanakz: Why is Maiava considering leaving? He should know that if he stays at Kahuku, they--and he, of course--will likely take the state Open title.

Straightupkanakz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:22 pm
Straightupkanakz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:17 pm I had kahuku favored to win it all this coming season but since soljay might be leaving it makes the playing ground even. Kahuku defense is something to watch this year and if there is no soljay then the jumbo package must comeback for them to have a chance.
@Straightupkanakz: Why is Maiava considering leaving? He should know that if he stays at Kahuku, they--and he, of course--will likely take the state Open title.

I wouldn't know but he loves it at kahuku. He's a red raider for life but him transferring out state means that it's for recruiting purposes. All I know is he's planning to play for a power house team in Washington but don't know if he really going to go so time will tell on that. Best of luck to him on whatever he decides tho and will be rooting for him. Kahuku will lose there passing game along with his scrambling ability but kahuku will have still have the running game which they won states with but losing soljay will hurt

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Straightupkanakz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:52 pm

I wouldn't know but he loves it at kahuku. He's a red raider for life but him transferring out state means that it's for recruiting purposes. All I know is he's planning to play for a power house team in Washington but don't know if he really going to go so time will tell on that. Best of luck to him on whatever he decides tho and will be rooting for him. Kahuku will lose there passing game along with his scrambling ability but kahuku will have still have the running game which they won states with but losing soljay will hurt
@Straightupkanakz: If Maiava truly loves Kahuku High, he would stay there. And, though he's a decent QB, I wouldn't say he's outstanding. I think he should go to UH, where he's likely to get more playing time. And, if he is indeed a Red Raider for life, he can watch Kahuku play, since he'll be here.

Straightupkanakz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:13 pm

@Straightupkanakz: If Maiava truly loves Kahuku High, he would stay there. And, though he's a decent QB, I wouldn't say he's outstanding. I think he should go to UH, where he's likely to get more playing time. And, if he is indeed a Red Raider for life, he can watch Kahuku play, since he'll be here.
[/quote

Well I'm hoping he stays but the parents have the last say and would love to see soljay at UH. As I said time will tell but I already seen some signs that he will be leaving. It is what it is so kahuku just have to go back to running the ball if it comes to it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Straightupkanakz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:11 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:13 pm

[/quote

Well I'm hoping he stays but the parents have the last say and would love to see soljay at UH. As I said time will tell but I already seen some signs that he will be leaving. It is what it is so kahuku just have to go back to running the ball if it comes to it.
@Straightupkanakz: Well, who's the QB starting behind Maiava? Can he throw the ball decently well? The JV did well, losing the OIA title in a close game to Mililani. So, how about the JV QB? He should be coming-up to vars this coming season, right? How good is he? Whoever he is, he almost led the JV to the title in a close loss. Going back to Maiava, you say he's a Red Raider for life. Then, I stll don't understand why there've been signs he'll be leaving. Also, it's not like he's as good as Tagovailoa, that he can go to a top football college and expect to start or see significant playing time. I still think it would be a better idea for him to stay at Kahuku High, and then go to UH.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

Sol Jay Maiava will stay at Kahuku. He finished basketball season and just finished Pylon with Hukilau Cafe.

This will be one of the most anticipated teams in Kahuku in recent years, so I hope they get to play ANY mainland team. They already noted they're not traveling, so hopefully a team agrees to fly to Hawaii. I would have love seeing years 2010 (Infamous Ineligible Player) and 2012 (Kawe & Faga Senior) or even 2015 (Tata's first year) Kahuku teams play someone from the mainland.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:42 pm Sol Jay Maiava will stay at Kahuku. He finished basketball season and just finished Pylon with Hukilau Cafe.

This will be one of the most anticipated teams in Kahuku in recent years, so I hope they get to play any mainland team. I would have love seeing Class of '10 and '12 or even '15 Kahuku teams play someone from the mainland.
@teamhawaii: OK, this is good news. See, there are two schools I don't want getting anywhere near the state Open title. I'd be more than happy if Kahuku takes it. They should have taken it this past season. Actually, I hope they don't play any mainland schools. The last thing I want is for any of their starters getting injured. I know lots of guys want to see Hawaii schools beat mainland schools, but I'm not one of them. I don't care about mainland schools, or how good they are. For me, Hawaii schools are it. They're all I'm interested in. Go, Kahuku! All the way! (And again, I'm not a Kahuku alumnus. I know it sounds like I am, but I'm not. For whatever reason, Kahuku is a school I'm very OK with. I really don't know why. It's one of those things that you don't know why it is, only that it is.)

teamhawaii
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:50 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:42 pm Sol Jay Maiava will stay at Kahuku. He finished basketball season and just finished Pylon with Hukilau Cafe.

This will be one of the most anticipated teams in Kahuku in recent years, so I hope they get to play any mainland team. I would have love seeing Class of '10 and '12 or even '15 Kahuku teams play someone from the mainland.
@teamhawaii: OK, this is good news. See, there are two schools I don't want getting anywhere near the state Open title. I'd be more than happy if Kahuku takes it. They should have taken it this past season. Actually, I hope they don't play any mainland schools. The last thing I want is for any of their starters getting injured. I know lots of guys want to see Hawaii schools beat mainland schools, but I'm not one of them. I don't care about mainland schools, or how good they are. For me, Hawaii schools are it. They're all I'm interested in. Go, Kahuku! All the way! (And again, I'm not a Kahuku alumnus. I know it sounds like I am, but I'm not. For whatever reason, Kahuku is a school I'm very OK with. I really don't know why. It's one of those things that you don't know why it is, only that it is.)
I can respect that. I really want Hawaii High School Football to be seen at the national level. A lot of Hawaii players get notice in college but to us it's nothing new. Plus, I currently reside in the mainland and I'm tired of hearing people talk down on Hawaii football haha.

Also, heard St. Louis QB Jayden De Laura looked good in Vegas at the Pylon Tournament. If he does live up to the hype, should make the season more interesting.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:56 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:50 pm

I can respect that. I really want Hawaii High School Football to be seen at the national level. A lot of Hawaii players get notice in college but to us it's nothing new. Plus, I currently reside in the mainland and I'm tired of hearing people talk down on Hawaii football haha.

Also, heard St. Louis QB Jayden De Laura looked good in Vegas at the Pylon Tournament. If he does live up to the hype, should make the season more interesting.
@teamhawaii: Well, I don't exactly love St Louis, but I'd be OK with them taking ILH D1. I don't want them taking state Open. If De Laura continues looking good, perhaps I can hope that they edge Punahou for ILH D1. But if Maiava stays at Kahuku, I'd like to think that Kahuku can beat St Louis or Punahou, whichever of those two schools they meet in states.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Kahuku will be the favorite to win, especially if sol jay stays. They had a good team last season, and most of that team returns. Mililani returns a ton of starters too. Gabriel might be the top qb in the state. Even with delaura doing good in 7 on 7, that really doesn't mean that it will translate to success on the field during the regular season. But who knows....I still think punahou will be the ilh champ.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:13 am Kahuku will be the favorite to win, especially if sol jay stays. They had a good team last season, and most of that team returns. Mililani returns a ton of starters too. Gabriel might be the top qb in the state. Even with delaura doing good in 7 on 7, that really doesn't mean that it will translate to success on the field during the regular season. But who knows....I still think punahou will be the ilh champ.
@Dog 96707: I do agree with you that Punahou will take ILH D1. I absolutely don't want them to, but I think they will. After all, even if De Laura turns out to be a good QB, he can't carry St Louis all by himself. I also agree that Mililani QB Gabriel will likely be the best QB in the state. While I'd rather have Mililani than Punahou, I'd rather have Kahuku than Mililani. GO, RED RAIDERS1

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

I'm rooting for Mililani again, mostly because they play the type of offense I like to watch. Same reason I cheered for Leilehua back when they were contenders. I don't have any real affiliation with either school, it's purely the fast-paced, high-scoring offenses they run. I'm glad my alma mater Pearl City runs a pretty wide-open offense, too. They should've declared for D1, though, but whatever.

And yes, Gabriel will at least be the best QB in the OIA, but potentially tops in the entire state. He was in the discussion last season and he's gotten better and stronger every year since he was forced into the starting lineup as a freshman.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:44 am I'm rooting for Mililani again, mostly because they play the type of offense I like to watch. Same reason I cheered for Leilehua back when they were contenders. I don't have any real affiliation with either school, it's purely the fast-paced, high-scoring offenses they run. I'm glad my alma mater Pearl City runs a pretty wide-open offense, too. They should've declared for D1, though, but whatever.

And yes, Gabriel will at least be the best QB in the OIA, but potentially tops in the entire state. He was in the discussion last season and he's gotten better and stronger every year since he was forced into the starting lineup as a freshman.
@bandits1: That's interesting. For me, as long as the school I like wins, I don't really care what kind of O they run. I give you credit for cheering for a school simply because you enjoy their O, as opposed to requiring some kind of affiliation. For me, it's all about, "Do I like this school?" Or, "Do I dislike the school they're playing? As for Mililani's Gabriel, yeah, I don't see anyone in the state better than him. Kahuku's Maiava is a very decent QB, but I don't think he's quite the passer that Gabriel is. St Louis' De Laura is something of an unknown quantity to me, though teamhawaii says he's pretty good. But, at this point, I'm going to assume that Gabriel is better than he.