ILH-OIA merger—hope this is true

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: ILH-OIA merger—hope this is true

Post by bandits1 »

Oh, there is at least a loose affiliation. For me it's: Pearl City --> any team that used to belong to the old Leeward District conference --> any OIA West team --> any OIA team --> outer island public school --> any outer island school --> the end. The only time I cheer for an ILH school is when one is playing a mainland team. The only exception may be HBA since I have several friends that graduated from there.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

bandits1 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:20 pm Oh, there is at least a loose affiliation. For me it's: Pearl City --> any team that used to belong to the old Leeward District conference --> any OIA West team --> any OIA team --> outer island public school --> any outer island school --> the end. The only time I cheer for an ILH school is when one is playing a mainland team. The only exception may be HBA since I have several friends that graduated from there.
@bandits1: That's very interesting. I don't have any allegiance to any district or league. When two schools play each other--in any sport--I ask myself, "OK, which school do I dislike more?" Then I sit on the other school's side. For me, it doesn't matter whether a school is public or private, although usually--but by no means always--I'll like the public school more, if that school is playing a private school. And of course, that might happen in a preseason tournament or in a state tournament. If a mainland school is playing, I won't even watch. In fact, even if an outer-island school is playing, I won't watch. I was born and raised on Oahu, so only Oahu high schools are relevant to me at all.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Straightupkanakz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:17 pm I had kahuku favored to win it all this coming season but since soljay might be leaving.
Oh, ok, show up as a new poster in Dec.2017 and you have inside scoops. Lol. Folks don't fall for it. When Hawaii Prep reports or Paul reports something of substance, ok.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:43 pm
Straightupkanakz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:17 pm I had kahuku favored to win it all this coming season but since soljay might be leaving.
Oh, ok, show up as a new poster in Dec.2017 and you have inside scoops. Lol. Folks don't fall for it. When Hawaii Prep reports or Paul reports something of substance, ok.
@Markeke: Well, actually, I'm also picking Kahuku to win it all, because of their returnees. The question is: Is Maiava leaving? Even if he is, I'm hoping that Kahuku can find someone adequately capable to replace him. Perhaps one of his backups? Or, perhaps this past season's JV QB? The JV lost a close game to Mililani for the OIA JV title. This might be a bit of wishful thinking on my part, too. Of the four other schools that possibly have a shot at the state Open title (Punahou, Campbell, St Louis, and Mililani), I personally prefer Kahuku. When I say, "prefer," I mean that I like Kahuku more than those four other schools. Of course, liking a school doesn't make it any more likely that that school is going to win it.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

@HS Football Fanatic. Thornton Alapa is a backup QB. He is more then capable. What ever the situation at Kahuku, the atletecism of the kids prevail. Another one is All State Nohi Kaniho. These kids have taken multiple first years coaches to the State Ships. I'm sure Carvalho will field a championship caliber team.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:31 pm @HS Football Fanatic. Thornton Alapa is a backup QB. He is more then capable. What ever the situation at Kahuku, the atletecism of the kids prevail. Another one is All State Nohi Kaniho. These kids have taken multiple first years coaches to the State Ships. I'm sure Carvalho will field a championship caliber team.
@Markeke: OK, this is good to hear. What position does Kaniho play? Things are looking good for Kahuku High football thus far. Go Red Raiders!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:54 pm
Markeke wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:31 pm @HS Football Fanatic. Thornton Alapa is a backup QB. He is more then capable. What ever the situation at Kahuku, the atletecism of the kids prevail. Another one is All State Nohi Kaniho. These kids have taken multiple first years coaches to the State Ships. I'm sure Carvalho will field a championship caliber team.
@Markeke: OK, this is good to hear. What position does Kaniho play? Things are looking good for Kahuku High football thus far. Go Red Raiders!
Don’t take this personally, but I see you post “I prefer kahuku” over and over again, and post how crushed you were when they lost the title game, but you don’t know what position Kaniho plays? (Kaonohi not Kekaula)

Kahuku coaches would need to make some seriously big mistakes to not make at least make it into the semis. The size and speed of those kids is unmatched. That alone can them to the top every year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:54 pm
Don’t take this personally, but I see you post “I prefer kahuku” over and over again, and post how crushed you were when they lost the title game, but you don’t know what position Kaniho plays? (Kaonohi not Kekaula)

Kahuku coaches would need to make some seriously big mistakes to not make at least make it into the semis. The size and speed of those kids is unmatched. That alone can them to the top every year.
@genks: No offense taken. Yes, I do prefer Kahuku High. Yes, I was crushed when they lost to St Louis School. But, I don't know what position Kaniho plays. Meanwhile, I'm glad to hear that Kahuku has size and speed. No, I'm not a Kahuku alumnus, but I don't want Punahou or St Louis winning the state Open title. If Mililani or Campbell win it, well I could live with that, but--here we go again--I prefer Kahuku. Don't ask me why; I'm not sure myself why.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:18 am

@genks: No offense taken. Yes, I do prefer Kahuku High. Yes, I was crushed when they lost to St Louis School. But, I don't know what position Kaniho plays. Meanwhile, I'm glad to hear that Kahuku has size and speed. No, I'm not a Kahuku alumnus, but I don't want Punahou or St Louis winning the state Open title. If Mililani or Campbell wins it, well I could live with that, but--here we go again--I prefer Kahuku. Don't ask me why; I'm not sure myself why, honestly. It's one of things where you know it's true, but you don't know why it's true. It just is. You know how you feel, but you can't put your finger on why you feel that way.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:42 am

@genks: No offense taken. Yes, I do prefer Kahuku High. Yes, I was crushed when they lost to St Louis School. But, I don't know what position Kaniho plays. Meanwhile, I'm glad to hear that Kahuku has size and speed. No, I'm not a Kahuku alumnus, but I don't want Punahou or St Louis winning the state Open title. If Mililani or Campbell wins it, well, I could live with that, but--here we go again--I prefer Kahuku. Don't ask me why; I'm not sure myself why, honestly. It's one of things where you know it's true, but you don't know why it's true. It just is. You know how you feel, but you can't put your finger on why you feel that way.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

@genks: No offense taken. Yes, I do prefer Kahuku High. Yes, I was crushed when they lost to St Louis School. But, I don't know what position Kaniho plays. Meanwhile, I'm glad to hear that Kahuku has size and speed. No, I'm not a Kahuku alumnus, but I don't want Punahou or St Louis winning the state Open title. If Mililani or Campbell win it, well I could live with that, but--here we go again--I prefer Kahuku. Don't ask me why; I'm not sure myself why.
Yeah I got you, you a fan plain and simple. People don’t always have specific reasons why they are a fan of a team, person, whatever.

I was just surprised that you didn’t know what position he is because he’s one of the bigger names and you are a pretty strong supporter. I figured you watch all the game that they show on tv if not watch them live.

Kaniho is a corner, just like his brother was. They also put him in at receiver. I think when he’s in at receiver, he’s usually going deep.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:44 pm

Yeah I got you, you a fan plain and simple. People don’t always have specific reasons why they are a fan of a team, person, whatever.

I was just surprised that you didn’t know what position he is because he’s one of the bigger names and you are a pretty strong supporter. I figured you watch all the game that they show on tv if not watch them live.

Kaniho is a corner, just like his brother was. They also put him in at receiver. I think when he’s in at receiver, he’s usually going deep.
@genks: Oh, OK, thanks. I had no idea he was a CB. Actually, I'm not a Kahuku fan in the sense of going to all their games and knowing who all their players are. In fact, I haven't gone to any of their games this past season, though I did watch them when they were on OC16. I guess you can say that Kahuku is my "anti-frustration weapon." See, as I had mentioned in an earlier post, I don't want Punahou or St Louis to win the state Open title. If either school does--(as St Louis did this past season)--I get extremely frustrated and morose, and that feeling hangs over me for many, many weeks. If Mililani or Campbell were to win it, I might be frustrated and morose for only about two weeks max, perhaps. If Kahuku wins it, I'd be very OK with that, even though I'm not a Kahuku alumnus. There's just something about that school that is very OK with me, I don't know what it is. It's like that old Billy Joel hit love song, "She's Got A Way", from the early-'80s, in which he sings about his girlfriend: "She's got a way about her...don't know what it is," etc. For me, it's kind of like that with Kahuku High. The more I think about it, the more trippy and amazing it seems.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:48 pm

@genks: Oh, OK, thanks. I had no idea he was a CB. Actually, I'm not a Kahuku fan in the sense of going to all their games and knowing who all their players are. In fact, I haven't gone to any of their games this past season, though I did watch them when they were on OC16. I guess you can say that Kahuku is my "anti-frustration weapon." See, as I had mentioned in an earlier post, I don't want Punahou or St Louis to win the state Open title. If either school does--(as St Louis did this past season)--I get extremely frustrated and morose, and that feeling hangs over me for many, many weeks. If Mililani or Campbell were to win it, I might be frustrated and morose for only about two weeks max, perhaps. If Kahuku wins it, I'd be very OK with that, even though I'm not a Kahuku alumnus. There's just something about that school that is very OK with me, I don't know what it is. It's like that old Billy Joel hit love song, "She's Got A Way", from the early-'80s, in which he sings about his girlfriend: "She's got a way about her...don't know what it is," etc. For me, it's kind of like that with Kahuku High. The more I think about it, the more trippy and amazing it seems.
Do yourself a favor and go so aloha stadium, and sit on the Kahuku side for the OIA final and the State final (pretty sure they get there) I was there for the OIA final because I wanted to see who STL gets, then of course I’ve been there the last 3 years at states. If you ever want to root for them, do it amongst thousands of screaming, jumping, chanting fans. I’m always sitting across them on STL’s side, but man it’s an experience. Make a it a point to go this year, you won’t regret it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:28 pm

Do yourself a favor and go so aloha stadium, and sit on the Kahuku side for the OIA final and the State final (pretty sure they get there) I was there for the OIA final because I wanted to see who STL gets, then of course I’ve been there the last 3 years at states. If you ever want to root for them, do it amongst thousands of screaming, jumping, chanting fans. I’m always sitting across them on STL’s side, but man it’s an experience. Make a it a point to go this year, you won’t regret it.
@genks: Yeah, I used to go to high-school football games, but I stopped about 15 years ago. Yes, I remember how electric the atmosphere was, with the band playing, cheerleaders cheering, and so on. But, I guess I "outgrew" all that. Now, I watch only on TV, on OC16. When I say, "outgrew," I'm not trying to insult people by suggesting that they should "grow up" and move-on from high-school football games. There's nothing wrong with going to high-school football games, regardless of your age. And, it can really warm the heart when you attend your alma mater's games, knowing that that's your school (or, at least it was, when you were going there). I understand that attending your alma mater's games, especially, can fill you with a sense of pride and a sense that you're connected somehow with everyone on your side of the stadium: Alumni, students, band, players, cheerleaders, etc. But, I just don't go any more. Either I'm too busy, or I'm too tired, or both. It simply seems more convenient and easy to just watch from home. Not only that; the price of admission when you go to a game seems pretty high, at least to me.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:11 pm
genks wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:28 pm

@genks: Yeah, I used to go to high-school football games, but I stopped about 15 years ago. Yes, I remember how electric the atmosphere was, with the band playing, cheerleaders cheering, and so on. But, I guess I "outgrew" all that. Now, I watch only on TV, on OC16. When I say, "outgrew," I'm not trying to insult people by suggesting that they should "grow up" and move-on from high-school football games. There's nothing wrong with going to high-school football games, regardless of your age. And, it can really warm the heart when you attend your alma mater's games, knowing that that's your school (or, at least it was, when you were going there). I understand that attending your alma mater's games, especially, can fill you with a sense of pride and a sense that you're connected somehow with everyone on your side of the stadium: Alumni, students, band, players, cheerleaders, etc. But, I just don't go any more. Either I'm too busy, or I'm too tired, or both. It simply seems more convenient and easy to just watch from home. Not only that; the price of admission when you go to a game seems pretty high, at least to me.
I hear you

I love being at the games and watching live. But it’s also the only way I can watch, because OC16 has no love for ILH games. Although with the merge I wonder if they will play the regular (non playoff) OIA vs ILH games on tv. They did show STL can Waianae, so it’s possible.