OIA going to three tiers

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OIA going to three tiers

Post by gopunahou »

https://scoringlive.com/story.php?storyid=16035
I guess the mismatches and low # of teams made the OIA reconsider its previous position on the three-tier model. (http://archives.starbulletin.com/2001/06/24/sports/)
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: OIA going to three tiers

Post by My3Cats »

About time. OIA did it before with their Red, Blue and White divisions several years back. Don't remember why they went to a two division format.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

My3Cats wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:29 am About time. OIA did it before with their Red, Blue and White divisions several years back. Don't remember why they went to a two division format.
The second article I posted states that coaches hated it at the time because too many top-notch teams were coming out of it bruised and beaten. I think the OIA champion losing to St. Louis all of those years had something to do with it (since St. Louis only faced one ILH team that was a real challenger except in ‘93).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:18 pm
My3Cats wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:29 am About time. OIA did it before with their Red, Blue and White divisions several years back. Don't remember why they went to a two division format.
The second article I posted states that coaches hated it at the time because too many top-notch teams were coming out of it bruised and beaten. I think the OIA champion losing to St. Louis all of those years had something to do with it (since St. Louis only faced one ILH team that was a real challenger except in ‘93).
@gopunahou: As long as the OIA has Kahuku, they don't have to be afraid of the ILH. In fact, I suspect Kahuku will be able to beat St Louis this coming season. They were 38 seconds away from beating St Louis this past season.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

I like the 3 tiers so far. Should be competitive match ups every week.

In regards of the OIA OPEN, I was reading on Scoringlive that OIA is considering having them play each other twice in the season? I hope that's not the case. Especially, if there's playoffs where they could possibly play the same opponent 3x, teams will be beat up by states.

Also, heard the OIA Transfer rule is no longer in effect bc of this case (http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/boys-bas ... sfer-rule/). If it's true, it leads to an interesting off season. Already, heard Campbell is getting some new faces but can't confirm who exactly.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

In regards of the OIA OPEN, I was reading on Scoringlive that OIA is considering having them play each other twice in the season? I hope that's not the case. Especially, if there's playoffs where they could possibly play the same opponent 3x, teams will be beat up by states.
That’s the reason the OIA went away from the 3-tier model in the late ‘90s.
Already, heard Campbell is getting some new faces but can't confirm who exactly.
Hope it’s kids from St. Louis. :D

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:57 am
Already, heard Campbell is getting some new faces but can't confirm who exactly.
@gopunahou: Seeing as you're a Punahou alumnus, it's totally natural that you'd like to see your alma mater's rival (St Louis) lose players. But really, Punahou just might be able to beat St Louis anyway, as St Louis will lose lots of this year's players to graduation. But, even if Punahou beats St Louis during the upcoming season, Kahuku stands in their way. I think Kahuku stands in every Open Division school's way; all of them will be chasing Kahuku.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:01 pm
@gopunahou: Seeing as you're a Punahou alumnus, it's totally natural that you'd like to see your alma mater's rival (St Louis) lose players. But really, Punahou just might be able to beat St Louis anyway, as St Louis will lose lots of this year's players to graduation. But, even if Punahou beats St Louis during the upcoming season, Kahuku stands in their way. I think Kahuku stands in every Open Division school's way; all of them will be chasing Kahuku.
Yes!! It looks like the OIA transfer rule is gone. So anyone can go anywhere LOL and Campbell is the place to be. 3 transfers from Kapolei, so far. Broome and the Mokiao- Atimalala brothers are at Campbell. Probably more to come from Kapolei. Also, JL Lavea from Kahuku going over. I also heard 2 players from Mililani going over too. Not sure who though. that's just they way it is now days, parents gonna send their kids where they want, where they think they got the best opportunity. This off season should continue to be interesting

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:50 am

Yes!! It looks like the OIA transfer rule is gone. So anyone can go anywhere LOL and Campbell is the place to be. 3 transfers from Kapolei, so far. Broome and the Mokiao- Atimalala brothers are at Campbell. Probably more to come from Kapolei. Also, JL Lavea from Kahuku going over. I also heard 2 players from Mililani going over too. Not sure who though. that's just they way it is now days, parents gonna send their kids where they want, where they think they got the best opportunity. This off season should continue to be interesting
@Dog 96707: This blows-up the notion that parents (and even students) send their kids to a school for that school's academics, not sports. Now, I'm not saying that Campbell High's academics suck. For one, that would be offensive to Campbell alumni, and secondly, I don't think their academics are really bad. Some people want to justify sending their kids to private schools for sports because of those schools' academics. Then, how do we explain all these kids transferring to Campbell High? If parents were looking for the OIA school with the best academics, they should send their kids to Kalani High for sports. That's not happening. So: Kids who are in sports are looking for a school with a good team in their sport. I heard Campbell will have a pretty good team this coming season, and that was before all these recent transfers. Word gets around. But really, if parents want to send their kids to the OIA school that will probably have the best football team, that would be Kahuku. I predict that Kahuku will take both the OIA Open title, and the state Open title.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The OIA will have three-tiers but,there are still only two classifications,D-I and D-II.

There is an opportunity for the OIA And ILH Open teams to avoid round-robins in regular season.
OIA teams can now play more than one interleague game. A lot of the D-I teams play teams from other states,and should be able to fill out a seven to eight game regular season slate with a few more OIA-ILH-BIIF-MIL D-I interleague contests thrown in.
For example, I think Kailua and Leilehua would be among teams that would also try to schedule Open teams as part of their non-league schedule.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Very interesting, I wonder why Campbell. Is it the coaches?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:41 am

@genks: That's a very good question. First of all, Campbell already would be having the returnees to make a strong team this coming season. In OIA D1, I would have ranked them right up there with Kahuku and Waianae. Now, with all these transfers, they'll be even stronger than they already would have been. But, Kahuku was clearly top dog in terms of the coming season. So, all those transfers to Campbell really should have transferred to Kahuku, if you ask me. I mean, even with the new coach (Carvalho), Kahuku would still be tough, with the kind of players they have returning. Also, personally, I prefer Kahuku High to Campbell High.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:40 am
genks wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:41 am

@genks: That's a very good question. First of all, Campbell already would be having the returnees to make a strong team this coming season. In OIA D1, I would have ranked them right up there with Kahuku and Waianae. Now, with all these transfers, they'll be even stronger than they already would have been. But, Kahuku was clearly top dog in terms of the coming season. So, all those transfers to Campbell really should have transferred to Kahuku, if you ask me. I mean, even with the new coach (Carvalho), Kahuku would still be tough, with the kind of players they have returning. Also, personally, I prefer Kahuku High to Campbell High.
Unless those transferring from Kapolei were actually on a GE at Kapolei, and are coming back to their district. Not sure about the Utah transfer from Kahuku and the Mililani guys.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Taulia was gonna come back to Campbell...or St Louis. But also heard they spent winter break touring high schools in California so who knows for sure

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Until transfers are official,My top five D-I teams for pre-season 2018 would consist of ,in no order as of right now,St.Louis ,Punahou,and Kamehameha from the ILH,and Kahuku and Mililani from the OIA.

If the speculation on this board and the HPW forum turn out to be true,I think Kapolei will suffer losses and Campbell will gain talent. We will see who suits up where in the next six months. Between Kapolei and Campbell, I think Campbell will fare better than Kapolei. Still Campbell would really have to actually clean up on transfers to crack the top five for preseason.

In the end,the games will get played and the teams will decide it on the field.

The transfer rule change makes it more interesting for sure.