OIA going to three tiers

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: OIA going to three tiers

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:18 pm Until transfers are official,My top five D-I teams for pre-season 2018 would consist of ,in no order as of right now,St.Louis ,Punahou,and Kamehameha from the ILH,and Kahuku and Mililani from the OIA.

If the speculation on this board and the HPW forum turn out to be true,I think Kapolei will suffer losses and Campbell will gain talent. We will see who suits up where in the next six months. Between Kapolei and Campbell, I think Campbell will fare better than Kapolei. Still Campbell would really have to actually clean up on transfers to crack the top five for preseason.

In the end,the games will get played and the teams will decide it on the field.

The transfer rule change makes it more interesting for sure.
@unpaid: Of course, it's still very early, but do you really think Kamehameha should be up there? They have no one outstanding returning; I'm not sure they had anyone outstanding on last season's team, either. What about Campbell in the top five instead of Kamehameha?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:55 pm
unpaid wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:18 pm Until transfers are official,My top five D-I teams for pre-season 2018 would consist of ,in no order as of right now,St.Louis ,Punahou,and Kamehameha from the ILH,and Kahuku and Mililani from the OIA.

If the speculation on this board and the HPW forum turn out to be true,I think Kapolei will suffer losses and Campbell will gain talent. We will see who suits up where in the next six months. Between Kapolei and Campbell, I think Campbell will fare better than Kapolei. Still Campbell would really have to actually clean up on transfers to crack the top five for preseason.

@unpaid: Of course, it's still very early, but do you really think Kamehameha should be up there? They have no one outstanding returning; I'm not sure they had anyone outstanding on last season's team, either. What about Campbell in the top five instead of Kamehameha?
Kamehameha does return its receiving core and a good player in Ramos, along with a quarterback (sophomore-to-be Kione) who played against varsity teams as a freshmen. Don't know if that'll be enough to win against us or St. Louis (since we return some seniors-to-be who'll play on a mission to refuse to lose).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:32 pm

Kamehameha does return its receiving core and a good player in Ramos, along with a quarterback (sophomore-to-be Kione) who played against varsity teams as a freshmen. Don't know if that'll be enough to win against us or St. Louis (since we return some seniors-to-be who'll play on a mission to refuse to lose).
@gopunahou: Well, in fairness, I tip my hat to Kamehameha for beating Punahou last season, but I don't think it's going to happen this coming season. Kamehameha doesn't seem to have a decent RB. So, they probably won't be able to move the ball on the ground.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I could be completely wrong, but Campbell seems like an unlikely destination for talented players. Not saying the transfer rumors aren’t true, just curious that they would choose Campbell. I’m gonna assume it the coaches? I know in the last 2 seasons people have been critical of Coach Hernandez, because of the amount of talent on his team and lack of results. I wonder if the players feel the same.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I would think Waianae would have to be above Campbell in early rankings. I know they lose Rosario and Mauga, but hard to Rank Campbell above Waianae until Campbell wins.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:39 pm

I could be completely wrong, but Campbell seems like an unlikely destination for talented players. Not saying the transfer rumors aren’t true, just curious that they would choose Campbell. I’m gonna assume it the coaches? I know in the last 2 seasons people have been critical of Coach Hernandez, because of the amount of talent on his team and lack of results. I wonder if the players feel the same.
@genks: Again, I think that if kids want to transfer to the school with the best football team in the OIA, they should transfer to Kahuku. Campbell is likely to be pretty good, too, but why not transfer to Kahuku instead? They're supposed to be better.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:42 pm

I would think Waianae would have to be above Campbell in early rankings. I know they lose Rosario and Mauga, but hard to Rank Campbell above Waianae until Campbell wins.
@genks: I don't know; I've been hearing more about Campbell than about Waianae.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:04 pm

@genks: Again, I think that if kids want to transfer to the school with the best football team in the OIA, they should transfer to Kahuku. Campbell is likely to be pretty good, too, but why not transfer to Kahuku instead? They're supposed to be better.
I think the the lack of stability of coaching is shying off players to transfer to Kahuku. Plus, Kahuku is really young and returns majority of starters or players with significant playing time.

Campbell with Coach DJ looks like he revamped the culture out there. I could tell from the homecoming game vs. Kahuku. The stadium was packed, I believed they had a Hype Video and the orange new uniforms. Plus, Ewa Beach always had talent it was a matter of actually keeping the homegrown home. Maybe that's why

But the Top 5 for 2018 is definitely Kahuku, Mililani, St. Louis & Punahou. The last spot is a toss up between Campbell or Kamehameha.

Also heard Trinity (Euless) is looking for a out of league opponent and Kahuku was mentioned. That would be interesting, can't think of a Hawaii vs. Texas High School Matchup.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I think there’s something to be said for Kahuku being so deep at every position every year, being intimidating if you aren’t a top level player. There’s a good chance that a transfer to Kahuku may not get to play very often. I would think a better balance of joining a top level team but getting to play (depending on position) would be Mililani. But, if Campbell is rebuilding, it could be exciting to be part of that.

Plus one poster mentioned one of the transfers was from Kahuku. I think he was one of the Utah transfers last year.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

teamhawaii wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:46 pm

I think the the lack of stability of coaching is shying off players to transfer to Kahuku. Plus, Kahuku is really young and returns majority of starters or players with significant playing time.

Campbell with Coach DJ looks like he revamped the culture out there. I could tell from the homecoming game vs. Kahuku. The stadium was packed, I believed they had a Hype Video and the orange new uniforms. Plus, Ewa Beach always had talent it was a matter of actually keeping the homegrown home. Maybe that's why

But the Top 5 for 2018 is definitely Kahuku, Mililani, St. Louis & Punahou. The last spot is a toss up between Campbell or Kamehameha.

Also heard Trinity (Euless) is looking for a out of league opponent and Kahuku was mentioned. That would be interesting, can't think of a Hawaii vs. Texas High School Matchup.
If Coach DJ is a capable coach, Campbell will do well if the transfer rumors are true.

Kapolei lost 2 years in a row to Farrington, despite having so many killers on offense and defense. No discipline, lots of personal fouls, couldn’t make adjustments. If some of that taken lands in Campbell, they could make a real impact.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@teamhawaii: OK, since Kahuku has so many returnees, perhaps kids don't want to transfer there because they probably won't get much playing time. But what about Campbell? Are those transfers sure they'll get more playing time there? Regarding Ewa always having had talent, I'll have to challenge that. I'm sure Ewa has always had some amount of talent, but not like Kahuku, Waianae, or even Kapolei. When was the last time Campbell won an OIA or state title in football, or come really close? Having said that, I would give your fifth spot to Campbell. Kamehameha may have good receivers returning, but not much of a QB or ground game. Plus, Campbell has all those recent transfers.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:19 pm

I think there’s something to be said for Kahuku being so deep at every position every year, being intimidating if you aren’t a top level player. There’s a good chance that a transfer to Kahuku may not get to play very often. I would think a better balance of joining a top level team but getting to play (depending on position) would be Mililani. But, if Campbell is rebuilding, it could be exciting to be part of that.

Plus one poster mentioned one of the transfers was from Kahuku. I think he was one of the Utah transfers last year.
@genks: Hard to imagine someone transferring from Kahuku. If he's a Utah transfer, maybe that's why; Kahuku High isn't completely in his blood. I mean, you could imagine a Kahuku player transferring to a private school, but to another public school?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:26 pm

If Coach DJ is a capable coach, Campbell will do well if the transfer rumors are true.

Kapolei lost 2 years in a row to Farrington, despite having so many killers on offense and defense. No discipline, lots of personal fouls, couldn’t make adjustments. If some of that taken lands in Campbell, they could make a real impact.
@genks: Guys have been ragging on Hernandez for years about how he hasn't taken Kapolei further, despite having so much talent at that school. I don't know; I think he hasn't done that bad a job. He's taken the school to states the past two years (I think) , and who can forget Kapolei's upset of Punahou two years ago? Having said that, it's kind of disappointing that his teams have lacked discipline. You would think a hulking bald guy like Hernandez would be able to intimidate players into being disciplined. Regarding Kapolei's losses to Farrington, I think those may have been a matter of Farrington really playing above their heads. And, who can forget Farrington's storybook win two years ago? I don't think we should underestimate Farrington those years. When they beat Kapolei two years ago, Farrington had good receivers and a good RB. And of course, Farrington always has a monster O-line. I'm not sure that we should consider Farrington's wins over Kapolei, upsets. And, those games were pretty close, right?

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:14 am

@genks: Guys have been ragging on Hernandez for years about how he hasn't taken Kapolei further, despite having so much talent at that school. I don't know; I think he hasn't done that bad a job. He's taken the school to states the past two years (I think) , and who can forget Kapolei's upset of Punahou two years ago? Having said that, it's kind of disappointing that his teams have lacked discipline. You would think a hulking bald guy like Hernandez would be able to intimidate players into being disciplined. Regarding Kapolei's losses to Farrington, I think those may have been a matter of Farrington really playing above their heads. And, who can forget Farrington's storybook win two years ago? I don't think we should underestimate Farrington those years. When they beat Kapolei two years ago, Farrington had good receivers and a good RB. And of course, Farrington always has a monster O-line. I'm not sure that we should consider Farrington's wins over Kapolei, upsets. And, those games were pretty close, right?
I don’t mean to rag in Coach hernandez, he has lead the team to success. I think beating Punahou was a huge win, but I didn’t see it as an upset. Kapolei was LOADED that year. They definetly came to win with that team. I think the Farrington loss was a bigger upset. Kapolei was out coached. They had a big strong front 7 to contain Faamatau, a strong pass rush, strong on offense both passing and rushing. June Jones was the OC that year and he had a great QB to work with. I definetly thing on paper Kapolei should’ve ran through Farrington and should’ve really challenged Kahuku, not get completely killed.

I don’t want to seem disrespectful of Coach Hernandez, just saying he seems to lack the ability to make adjustments and didn’t always seem to have control of his team.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:58 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:14 am

I don’t mean to rag in Coach hernandez, he has lead the team to success. I think beating Punahou was a huge win, but I didn’t see it as an upset. Kapolei was LOADED that year. They definetly came to win with that team. I think the Farrington loss was a bigger upset. Kapolei was out coached. They had a big strong front 7 to contain Faamatau, a strong pass rush, strong on offense both passing and rushing. June Jones was the OC that year and he had a great QB to work with. I definetly thing on paper Kapolei should’ve ran through Farrington and should’ve really challenged Kahuku, not get completely killed.

I don’t want to seem disrespectful of Coach Hernandez, just saying he seems to lack the ability to make adjustments and didn’t always seem to have control of his team.
@genks: Actually, I think Kapolei's win over Punahou was indeed an upset. If I'm not mistaken, Punahou was ranked #1 that year, and everyone thought they would take the title. Yes, Kapolei was loaded, but so was Punahou. As for the Kapolei v Farrington game, Farrington had that scrawny, lanky QB, but he made some good throws and he made it happen with his scrambling, too. He took some hits, but he kept on ticking. He played over his head, that's for sure. So did Farrington's receivers, I think. Faamatau was his usual outstanding self.