OIA going to three tiers

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Re: OIA going to three tiers

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 am
teamhawaii wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:46 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:04 pm

@genks: Again, I think that if kids want to transfer to the school with the best football team in the OIA, they should transfer to Kahuku. Campbell is likely to be pretty good, too, but why not transfer to Kahuku instead? They're supposed to be better.
I think the the lack of stability of coaching is shying off players to transfer to Kahuku. Plus, Kahuku is really young and returns majority of starters or players with significant playing time.

Campbell with Coach DJ looks like he revamped the culture out there. I could tell from the homecoming game vs. Kahuku. The stadium was packed, I believed they had a Hype Video and the orange new uniforms. Plus, Ewa Beach always had talent it was a matter of actually keeping the homegrown home. Maybe that's why

But the Top 5 for 2018 is definitely Kahuku, Mililani, St. Louis & Punahou. The last spot is a toss up between Campbell or Kamehameha.

Also heard Trinity (Euless) is looking for a out of league opponent and Kahuku was mentioned. That would be interesting, can't think of a Hawaii vs. Texas High School Matchup.
@teamhawaii: OK, since Kahuku has so many returnees, perhaps kids don't want to transfer there because they probably won't get much playing time. But what about Campbell? Are those transfers sure they'll get more playing time there? Regarding Ewa always having had talent, I'll have to challenge that. I'm sure Ewa has always had some amount of talent, but not like Kahuku, Waianae, or even Kapolei. When was the last time Campbell won an OIA or state title in football, or come really close? Having said that, I would give your fifth spot to Campbell. Kamehameha may have good receivers returning, but not much of a QB or ground game. Plus, Campbell has all those recent transfers.
I’m not even from Ewa Beach. But in regards of there feeder JPS Program Ewa Beach Sabers. Read this article http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... -pipeline/ The talent is there, it’s just a matter of keeping them home.

In regards of JL Lavea. He’s a Laie Park product went to Orem his 9th grade year and transferred back to Kahuku his 10th grade year. He’s familiar with Coach DJ bc he played with Hukilau Cafe 7v7 Youth Team which Coach DJ coaches.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

teamhawaii wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:44 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:46 pm

I think the the lack of stability of coaching is shying off players to transfer to Kahuku. Plus, Kahuku is really young and returns majority of starters or players with significant playing time.

Campbell with Coach DJ looks like he revamped the culture out there. I could tell from the homecoming game vs. Kahuku. The stadium was packed, I believed they had a Hype Video and the orange new uniforms. Plus, Ewa Beach always had talent it was a matter of actually keeping the homegrown home. Maybe that's why

But the Top 5 for 2018 is definitely Kahuku, Mililani, St. Louis & Punahou. The last spot is a toss up between Campbell or Kamehameha.

Also heard Trinity (Euless) is looking for a out of league opponent and Kahuku was mentioned. That would be interesting, can't think of a Hawaii vs. Texas High School Matchup.
@teamhawaii: OK, since Kahuku has so many returnees, perhaps kids don't want to transfer there because they probably won't get much playing time. But what about Campbell? Are those transfers sure they'll get more playing time there? Regarding Ewa always having had talent, I'll have to challenge that. I'm sure Ewa has always had some amount of talent, but not like Kahuku, Waianae, or even Kapolei. When was the last time Campbell won an OIA or state title in football, or come really close? Having said that, I would give your fifth spot to Campbell. Kamehameha may have good receivers returning, but not much of a QB or ground game. Plus, Campbell has all those recent transfers.
I’m not even from Ewa Beach. But in regards of there feeder JPS Program Ewa Beach Sabers. Read this article http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... -pipeline/ The talent is there, it’s just a matter of keeping them home.

In regards of JL Lavea. He’s a Laie Park product went to Orem his 9th grade year and transferred back to Kahuku his 10th grade year. He’s familiar with Coach DJ bc he played with Hukilau Cafe 7v7 Youth Team which Coach DJ coaches.
@teamhawaii: Well, I'd like to assure Campbell alumni that I wasn't trying to say that Campbell High football sucks; it never does, right? All I'm saying is that for the past 40 years or so, it hasn't been quite up there with Waianae High, Kahuku High, or--more recently--Kapolei High (Kapolei High didn't even exist until 2000). However, Campbell High was pretty good this past season, and it looks like they'll be pretty good this coming season. Maybe it's a new trend for Campbell High.

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

So I'm just speaking off of rumors, but if anyone has heard the same thing. Please feel free to chime in. So I've been hearing that Campbell has been recruiting like crazy! One of the biggest names i've heard is Soljay transferring there? Can't confirm that. But a bunch of Kahuku kids are transferring there. Along with Mililani they are recruiting like crazy as well which is no surprise. So we'll see. Since I heard the transfer rules are out there

Straightupkanakz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Straightupkanakz »

As far as kahuku transfers I think it's only JL lavea. The rest is just rumors. Don't see why soljay would leave when kahuku will be favorites to win states this year plus he reps kahuku where he goes. Campbell is looking good tho with there players coming back home to play for them. They should be give kahuku and mililani a better game when they play.

kanakattack
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by kanakattack »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:24 pm
teamhawaii wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:44 pm

@teamhawaii: Well, I'd like to assure Campbell alumni that I wasn't trying to say that Campbell High football sucks; it never does, right? All I'm saying is that for the past 40 years or so, it hasn't been quite up there with Waianae High, Kahuku High, or--more recently--Kapolei High (Kapolei High didn't even exist until 2000). However, Campbell High was pretty good this past season, and it looks like they'll be pretty good this coming season. Maybe it's a new trend for Campbell High.
Hmm...Kapolei beat Campbell 35-0 in 2016 and 23-7 in 2017 so I guess they have to recruit Kapolei players to be competitive?

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Straightupkanakz wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:38 am As far as kahuku transfers I think it's only JL lavea. The rest is just rumors. Don't see why soljay would leave when kahuku will be favorites to win states this year plus he reps kahuku where he goes. Campbell is looking good tho with there players coming back home to play for them. They should be give kahuku and mililani a better game when they play.
I could see Sol-Jay going to Campbell. DJ was his coach for that Hukilau Cafe team. Plus it sounded like he would've transferred before last season if Kahuku hadn't opened up the offense. Now you got another new coach and he could try to keep doing what Freitas was trying to do, or go back to classic Kahuku smashmouth offense.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:31 pm So I'm just speaking off of rumors, but if anyone has heard the same thing. Please feel free to chime in. So I've been hearing that Campbell has been recruiting like crazy! One of the biggest names i've heard is Soljay transferring there? Can't confirm that. But a bunch of Kahuku kids are transferring there. Along with Mililani they are recruiting like crazy as well which is no surprise. So we'll see. Since I heard the transfer rules are out there
@ka'ahupahau706: OK, I've been hearing that Mililani has been recruiting for at least the past two years. But now Campbell? And, it blows my mind that a bunch of Kahuku players are transferring to Campbell. I mean, Kahuku players have been transferring to Punahou for several years now, but to another OIA school? And, it's not like new Kahuku coach Carvalho is an unknown quantity; he was the JV coach the past two years.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:09 pm
Straightupkanakz wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:38 am As far as kahuku transfers I think it's only JL lavea. The rest is just rumors. Don't see why soljay would leave when kahuku will be favorites to win states this year plus he reps kahuku where he goes. Campbell is looking good tho with there players coming back home to play for them. They should be give kahuku and mililani a better game when they play.
I could see Sol-Jay going to Campbell. DJ was his coach for that Hukilau Cafe team. Plus it sounded like he would've transferred before last season if Kahuku hadn't opened up the offense. Now you got another new coach and he could try to keep doing what Freitas was trying to do, or go back to classic Kahuku smashmouth offense.
@Neighbor: I don't know; I heard new Kahuku coach Carvalho plans to keep the wide-open O that Freitas installed; not go back to smashmouth.

Straightupkanakz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Straightupkanakz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:09 pm
Neighbor wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:09 pm
@Neighbor: I don't know; I heard new Kahuku coach Carvalho plans to keep the wide-open O that Freitas installed; not go back to smashmouth.
Yeah carvalho is offensive mind coach and will take kahuku passing game to a new level. Coach Johnson had players from kahuku before when he coached at kailua but they were back ups on kahuku so I think mostly transfers will be kahuku back ups. Don't know for sure about the rumors about soljay but from what I've seen he is staying at kahuku