Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:21 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:05 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:47 pm

They are a very tight knit community, especially Kahuku and Laie area, and are very passionate about the football team and school in general. And from what I see from friends and family living up there and on message boards, they are very opinionated. I can imagine that noise makes its way to the athletic director.
@EITSwarrior: Yes, I know they are very tight-knit. Just the same, I don't think it's fair for Kahuku's AD to have to get heat from non-alumni and people who aren't parents of players. If you ask me, the Kahuku AD should have to consider only alumni and players' parents. For the AD of ANY school, that's already hard enough. I still think that non Kahuku alumni and those who aren't parents of players should chill. I mean, if folks want to voice an opinion on this messageboard--(like you and I)--fine. But, as someone who's not a Kahuku alumnus, and who doesn't have a son on the team, I'm not about to call the AD or something. That's really all I'm saying.
What I’m also trying to say is that a lot of the community is made up of Kahuku alumni, so yeah.
@EITSwarrior: Of course, Kahuku alumni don't HAVE to get involved; even the parents of players don't. But, when a school sees five different coaches in six years, you'd think that ENOUGH alumni and parents would check-out the AD and say, "Hey, what's happening here?"

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:17 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:05 pm

@EITSwarrior: Yes, I know they are very tight-knit. Just the same, I don't think it's fair for Kahuku's AD to have to get heat from non-alumni and people who aren't parents of players. If you ask me, the Kahuku AD should have to consider only alumni and players' parents. For the AD of ANY school, that's already hard enough. I still think that non Kahuku alumni and those who aren't parents of players should chill. I mean, if folks want to voice an opinion on this messageboard--(like you and I)--fine. But, as someone who's not a Kahuku alumnus, and who doesn't have a son on the team, I'm not about to call the AD or something. That's really all I'm saying.
What I’m also trying to say is that a lot of the community is made up of Kahuku alumni, so yeah.
@EITSwarrior: Of course, Kahuku alumni don't HAVE to get involved; even the parents of players don't. But, when a school sees five different coaches in six years, you'd think that ENOUGH alumni and parents would check-out the AD and say, "Hey, what's happening here?"
They don’t HAVE to, but I’m sure they do.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:10 pm

@EITSwarrior: And yet, Kahuku has had five different coaches in six years.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Yeah like I said cause I’m sure everyone, alumni or not, parent of a child or not, has an opinion of what they want the program to be and who they want running it. And the AD or whoever makes the decisions is probably being swayed six ways from Sunday by everyone. It’s like that to an extant at my alma mater, Saint Louis, and at many other schools across the state and the country.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

EITSwarrior wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:37 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Yeah like I said cause I’m sure everyone, alumni or not, parent of a child or not, has an opinion of what they want the program to be and who they want running it. And the AD or whoever makes the decisions is probably being swayed six ways from Sunday by everyone. It’s like that to an extant at my alma mater, Saint Louis, and at many other schools across the state and the country.
@EITSwarrior: St Louis, like Kahuku, is a football school. Yet, St Louis hasn't had five different coaches in six years. So the question arises: Why? Were the four coaches at Kahuku before Carvalho that bad? Guess it depends on how you define "bad," but if you're going by W-L record or whether the school made postseason, all four coaches pass muster. What I guess I'm saying is that what Kahuku is doing might cause morale problems among the school's coaching staff. The coaching situation seems more stable at St Louis, and again we ask, Why? Why is the coaching situation so different at one "football school" than another, when both schools' football teams have been pretty successful?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

St. Louis hasn’t had five different coaches in six years, but we had a stretch after Cal Lee left, where we had a coaching carousel. Two stints of Delbert Tengan, two stints of Darnell Arceneaux, and John Hao and Matt Wright. All that in a span of twelve years. I know not as bad, but still, hardly “stable” as you suggest.

Back to your question of “why”? It’s like this because both fan bases are, for a lack of a better term that comes to mind, hardcore. They have tasted success and will do anything to taste it again to the point that if you fail, they will cut you loose. Based on what I’ve seen, St. Louis is a tiny bit more lenient than Kahuku. We want championships, but we not gonna fire Cal Lee, lol that would be idiotic. I mean Kahuku got rid of coaches like Livai, but I think he left on his own terms, and Reggie Torres. Two highly successful and multiple state championship coaches. Tengan and Arceneaux only won one apiece. Then Kahuku got and got rid of Leslie, Tata and Freitas. All of them doing pretty good if it were any other school, but not good enough for Kahuku. And the Red Raider fan base apparently will not accept anything less than a state championship. That is the “Why” to your question. At least in my opinion from what I can tell.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

EITSwarrior wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:44 pm St. Louis hasn’t had five different coaches in six years, but we had a stretch after Cal Lee left, where we had a coaching carousel. Two stints of Delbert Tengan, two stints of Darnell Arceneaux, and John Hao and Matt Wright. All that in a span of twelve years. I know not as bad, but still, hardly “stable” as you suggest.

Back to your question of “why”? It’s like this because both fan bases are, for a lack of a better term that comes to mind, hardcore. They have tasted success and will do anything to taste it again to the point that if you fail, they will cut you loose. Based on what I’ve seen, St. Louis is a tiny bit more lenient than Kahuku. We want championships, but we not gonna fire Cal Lee, lol that would be idiotic. I mean Kahuku got rid of coaches like Livai, but I think he left on his own terms, and Reggie Torres. Two highly successful and multiple state championship coaches. Tengan and Arceneaux only won one apiece. Then Kahuku got and got rid of Leslie, Tata and Freitas. All of them doing pretty good if it were any other school, but not good enough for Kahuku. And the Red Raider fan base apparently will not accept anything less than a state championship. That is the “Why” to your question. At least in my opinion from what I can tell.
@EITSwarrior: If what you say about Kahuku is true, then I'd say Kahuku alumni should be careful what they wish for. Kahuku can't keep dumping coaches like yesterday's trash. If I recall correctly, Leslie left because he wanted to get back to family on the mainland. Or, at least that's what he said. Tata had some issues late in the season. But Freitas? I don't understand why he was let go. Will Carvalho be better than Freitas? Unless Kahuku has someone like Jones or Rolovich in the pipe, I think they should consider stopping the revolving door. They're not going to get Cal Lee. (Besides, Lee is 71, and is likely to retire very soon). If indeed it's the Kahuku alumni who are driving the "revolving door," then I think they've been spoiled by success, and I suspect it will eventually come back to bite them in the butt. It will get to the point where coaches simply aren't going to take it anymore.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:10 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:44 pm St. Louis hasn’t had five different coaches in six years, but we had a stretch after Cal Lee left, where we had a coaching carousel. Two stints of Delbert Tengan, two stints of Darnell Arceneaux, and John Hao and Matt Wright. All that in a span of twelve years. I know not as bad, but still, hardly “stable” as you suggest.

@EITSwarrior: If what you say about Kahuku is true, then I'd say Kahuku alumni should be careful what they wish for. Kahuku can't keep dumping coaches like yesterday's trash. If I recall correctly, Leslie left because he wanted to get back to family on the mainland. Or, at least that's what he said. Tata had some issues late in the season. But Freitas? I don't understand why he was let go. Will Carvalho be better than Freitas? Unless Kahuku has someone like Jones or Rolovich in the pipe, I think they should consider stopping the revolving door. They're not going to get Cal Lee. (Besides, Lee is 71, and is likely to retire very soon). If indeed it's the Kahuku alumni who are driving the "revolving door," then I think they've been spoiled by success, and I suspect it will eventually come back to bite them in the butt. It will get to the point where coaches simply aren't going to take it anymore.
If Cal Lee starts suffering from “Bobby Bowden syndrome”, they could “force him out” like FSU did with Bowden after his decline in 2001. I also doubt that St. Louis will tolerate 9 mediocre seasons from Lee like FSU did with Bowden. Remember, Cal Lee is the same age Bobby Bowden was when FSU’s decline began.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:43 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:10 am

If Cal Lee starts suffering from “Bobby Bowden syndrome”, they could “force him out” like FSU did with Bowden after his decline in 2001. I also doubt that St. Louis will tolerate 9 mediocre seasons from Lee like FSU did with Bowden. Remember, Cal Lee is the same age Bobby Bowden was when FSU’s decline began.
@gopunahou: I don't think St Louis School can play hardball with Cal. Cal is 71, and he can retire at any time. If St Louis School tries to force Cal out, Cal will probably tell them to bite him. At his age, I think Cal can take or leave coaching. Also, Cal isn't a St Louis alumnus--(he's a Kalani alumnus)--so I don't think he feels a sense of loyalty to St Louis School. I mean, yeah, he coached them for many years, but he didn't graduate from that school. I wouldn't be surprised if he retires after the coming season, simply because of his age.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Trust me, Cal Lee DOES feel a sense of loyalty to SLS. He said one of the toughest things that’s happened in his life was getting rejected by them.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:18 pm Trust me, Cal Lee DOES feel a sense of loyalty to SLS. He said one of the toughest things that’s happened in his life was getting rejected by them.
@gopunahou: Personally, I think Cal was good enough a coach to coach college ball. I would have preferred that Cal had coached Kalani, his alma mater. Yes, he did coach them a few years, but he was only an assistant coach. I get it that Cal invested many years in St Louis School, so he probably developed a sense of closeness to that school. Not that it matters now, at his age, but I would just remind Cal that St Louis is not his alma mater. Once he retires from coaching St Louis, I would encourage Cal to reconnect with his alma mater, Kalani. THAT is the school that is due his attachment. Kahuku High has that well-known saying, "Red Raider for life." Kalani High can make a similar claim: "Falcon for life."

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:05 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:18 pm Trust me, Cal Lee DOES feel a sense of loyalty to SLS. He said one of the toughest things that’s happened in his life was getting rejected by them.
@gopunahou: Personally, I think Cal was good enough a coach to coach college ball. I would have preferred that Cal had coached Kalani, his alma mater. Yes, he did coach them a few years, but he was only an assistant coach. I get it that Cal invested many years in St Louis School, so he probably developed a sense of closeness to that school. Not that it matters now, at his age, but I would just remind Cal that St Louis is not his alma mater. Once he retires from coaching St Louis, I would encourage Cal to reconnect with his alma mater, Kalani. THAT is the school that is due his attachment. Kahuku High has that well-known saying, "Red Raider for life." Kalani High can make a similar claim: "Falcon for life."
You should be able to relate to someone who doesn’t feel a Kahuku level of loyalty to their alma mater

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

I can’t really pass judgment because I don’t know all the factors that went into the hiring of the new coach at Kahuku.

But I will say, I thought Coach Freitas did an excellent job, especially on offense. He allowed Soljay to really develop. Great for the WRs also. He opened up the offense, and I thought he let everyone’s strengths shine. Remember, Soljay had ZERO pass completions in the 2016 State Championship. This year he was comfortable in high pressure situations, great passing, and of course deadly as always running. I definetly feel Coach Freitas did a much better job than Coach Tata did. Could’ve been a personnel thing with the players, I don’t know. I was surprised to see a new HC named for Kahuku. Again, I don’t know all the factors, but it is unfortunate if Coach Freitas did actually want the job.

Kahuku will have success no matter what. I could lead that team and beat the bottom teams based on the monsters on that team alone. But I feel Coach Freitas really made a change. I wonder if the new HC will stick to a similar system.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:11 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:05 pm
You should be able to relate to someone who doesn’t feel a Kahuku level of loyalty to their alma mater
@genks: You're right. As I've mentioned before on one thread or another on this message-board, I'm ashamed to reveal my alma mater because they really suck. Another reason I don't want to post-up is because if I did, I think that would sabotage how guys view my posts. I mean, I privately follow my alma mater in the papers and online, but I never go to their games. So, I have enough loyalty to follow them in the media and online, but not enough to go to their games or to reveal the school. In some ways, I personally think this is better because if I should ever post about that school on one of these threads, guys wouldn't think I'm biased towards them. Just the same, it is cowardly on my part. I've been called weak and a hypocrite, and I must confess that that's exactly what I am. While I'm on this topic, I'd like to praise the guys on this message-board who have had the guts and courage to reveal their alma mater. Regarding Cal, well, I don't know how he feels about Kalani, his alma mater. Of course, they're not that good in football, and haven't been for a long time. I think their last really good team was the '72 team, though they had a pretty good team once in the '90s, I believe. But, what I've said doesn't necessarily mean that Cal is ashamed of his alma mater; I really have no idea.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:31 am I can’t really pass judgment because I don’t know all the factors that went into the hiring of the new coach at Kahuku.

But I will say, I thought Coach Freitas did an excellent job, especially on offense. He allowed Soljay to really develop. Great for the WRs also. He opened up the offense, and I thought he let everyone’s strengths shine. Remember, Soljay had ZERO pass completions in the 2016 State Championship. This year he was comfortable in high pressure situations, great passing, and of course deadly as always running. I definetly feel Coach Freitas did a much better job than Coach Tata did. Could’ve been a personnel thing with the players, I don’t know. I was surprised to see a new HC named for Kahuku. Again, I don’t know all the factors, but it is unfortunate if Coach Freitas did actually want the job.

Kahuku will have success no matter what. I could lead that team and beat the bottom teams based on the monsters on that team alone. But I feel Coach Freitas really made a change. I wonder if the new HC will stick to a similar system.
@genks: Apparently Freitas did want the job, as he re-applied. I heard Carvalho will have a similar philosophy as Freitas in the sense of keeping the offense opened-up, instead of the "three yards and a cloud of dust," pound-the-rock philosophy. And yeah, I still think Kahuku will take it all this coming season, though obviously Campbell might have something to say about that, especially with the addition of all those recent transfers.