Mahalo StarAdvertiser.

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Mahalo StarAdvertiser.

Post by unpaid »

I have read the State-ILH-OIA-ROIA football All-stars posts on the hawaiiprepworld site with great interest. The StarAdvertiser gets kudos from me for reliving old memories of my high school years (1968-1972). Even more interesting is the era before and after my years at Radford.

Chicken-skin moments where you recognize generations of families who still produce Hawaii's Best talent even today.

Then there is the history. Who new that Maryknoll had a football team in 1948? What about these schools that you never knew existed. Schofield Post in the Rural OIA....nevah heard of them until now.

All the tidbits that come out,like Father Bray would not cast a coaches ballot for the ILH all-star team.

Being a Radford alum it was interesting to read what the sportswriter had to say about Walter Maze from Radford. According to the writer,he was a tough little back. For sure he was,because Coach Velasco talked about him when I was a freshman in 1968 which would have been at least five years ,maybe more after Maze was there. Maze is one of the few who had his jersey retired at Radford. Tough...yeah he had to be if he did what Coach V said he did.

The pictures....The helmets from the forties....auwe..those weren't helmets....no face mask ..just look like animal hide wrapped around the players heads...heh,heh!

Then there was the rest of the pages that surrounded the All-star teams.You got a feel for how big boxing and pro wrestling were in the 40's,50's,and 60's.

St.Louis was once known as St.Louis College?

Well, It's just interesting to see a chunk of history..Thanks StarAdveriser.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Mahalo StarAdvertiser.

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:19 pm I have read the State-ILH-OIA-ROIA football All-stars posts on the hawaiiprepworld site with great interest. The StarAdvertiser gets kudos from me for reliving old memories of my high school years (1968-1972). Even more interesting is the era before and after my years at Radford.

Chicken-skin moments where you recognize generations of families who still produce Hawaii's Best talent even today.

Then there is the history. Who new that Maryknoll had a football team in 1948? What about these schools that you never knew existed. Schofield Post in the Rural OIA....nevah heard of them until now.

All the tidbits that come out,like Father Bray would not cast a coaches ballot for the ILH all-star team.

Being a Radford alum it was interesting to read what the sportswriter had to say about Walter Maze from Radford. According to the writer,he was a tough little back. For sure he was,because Coach Velasco talked about him when I was a freshman in 1968 which would have been at least five years ,maybe more after Maze was there. Maze is one of the few who had his jersey retired at Radford. Tough...yeah he had to be if he did what Coach V said he did.

The pictures....The helmets from the forties....auwe..those weren't helmets....no face mask ..just look like animal hide wrapped around the players heads...heh,heh!

Then there was the rest of the pages that surrounded the All-star teams.You got a feel for how big boxing and pro wrestling were in the 40's,50's,and 60's.

St.Louis was once known as St.Louis College?

Well, It's just interesting to see a chunk of history..Thanks StarAdveriser.
@unpaid: I'm a few years younger than you, but, like you, am still a "child of the '70s." Yeah, I knew about St Louis School once being called St Louis College, but St Louis is much older than Radford High. (As a tidbit, you might remember that Radford beat St Louis in the '81 Prep Bowl. Think the score was 11-2, or something like that. That was when Niumatalolo was QB, and Velasco had just passed-away. That was Radford's only Prep Bowl or state football title as far as I know, but hey, some schools have not won even one.) Speaking of football helmets, Radford's helmets are timeless. At least since '76, they've had those white Ram horns painted on a black helmet. Very distinctive.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

Yes,timeless design for those helmets. The earliest pictures I have seen had the Ram's horn on the helmets in 1960. Radford opened it's doors to students in 1957, so I am guessing that the ram horns were always on the helmets.

What about you...have you seen anything
About your school's football history that you found interesting?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:25 pm HS Football Fanatic,

Yes,timeless design for those helmets. The earliest pictures I have seen had the Ram's horn on the helmets in 1960. Radford opened it's doors to students in 1957, so I am guessing that the ram horns were always on the helmets.

What about you...have you seen anything
About your school's football history that you found interesting?
@unpaid: Well, if you don't mind, I'd prefer not to talk about my alma mater's football history, because it sucks.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

No worry...it ain't no big ting! Just like reading these old newspaper articles.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:42 pm@unpaid: Well, if you don't mind, I'd prefer not to talk about my alma mater's football history, because it sucks.
What is your alma mater?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:15 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:42 pm@unpaid: Well, if you don't mind, I'd prefer not to talk about my alma mater's football history, because it sucks.
What is your alma mater?
@bandits1: If you don't mind, I'd really rather not say. I know that's really chickensh*t of me, but my alma mater really sucks. I'd rather go incognito. Put it this way: Pearl City High, your alma mater, is better. I also give you credit for having enough pride in your alma mater to own it as such. I simply don't have the same pride in my alma mater. Half the blame goes to that school for being so bad. The other half goes to me for being so chickensh*t.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:25 pm@bandits1: If you don't mind, I'd really rather not say. I know that's really chickensh*t of me, but my alma mater really sucks. I'd rather go incognito. Put it this way: Pearl City High, your alma mater, is better. I also give you credit for having enough pride in your alma mater to own it as such. I simply don't have the same pride in my alma mater. Half the blame goes to that school for being so bad. The other half goes to me for being so chickensh*t.
Weak. Aren't you the one who feels ALL people should stick up for the town they grew up in and it's respective high school for life? Aren't you the one who said multiple times how it would be ideal if coaches end up coaching at the schools they graduated from? Post up your alma mater or it's hypocrite for life.

It can't possibly be that bad. As far as I can see every high school in the state has been pretty decent at something at some point in time, be it academics, athletics, band, robotics, community service or whatever.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:39 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:25 pm@bandits1: If you don't mind, I'd really rather not say. I know that's really chickensh*t of me, but my alma mater really sucks. I'd rather go incognito. Put it this way: Pearl City High, your alma mater, is better. I also give you credit for having enough pride in your alma mater to own it as such. I simply don't have the same pride in my alma mater. Half the blame goes to that school for being so bad. The other half goes to me for being so chickensh*t.
Weak. Aren't you the one who feels ALL people should stick up for the town they grew up in and it's respective high school for life? Aren't you the one who said multiple times how it would be ideal if coaches end up coaching at the schools they graduated from? Post up your alma mater or it's hypocrite for life.

It can't possibly be that bad. As far as I can see every high school in the state has been pretty decent at something at some point in time, be it academics, athletics, band, robotics, community service or whatever.
@bandits1:

Weak. Guilty as charged.
Hypocrite for life. Guilty as charged.

If it weren't that bad, I would post-up. Actually, I'm not a proponent of sticking-up for the town one grew-up in. As for coaches coaching at their alma mater, well: Once you're a coach, people know which school you graduated from. That's something you can't avoid; someone is going to know where you went to school. On the other hand, no-name non-coaches like me can remain incognito. Having said that, I'm not going to abuse my anonymity by being rude to anyone. After all, if I were rude to someone, he can be rude to me, and I certainly wouldn't want that. I do apologize, however, for being weak and hypocritical. I do own-up to that. And again, I do praise guys who have the courage to reveal their alma mater. I simply don't have that courage. Another guy who has that courage is, gopunahou. I've mentioned many times that I simply do not care for his alma mater, yet I do treat him with respect because: 1.) He himself is always polite and classy, so I want to behave the same way towards him. 2.) Since he had the courage to reveal his alma mater, I want to reward him for that courage by, again, treating him with respect.

These have been some of the thoughts I've had on the topic.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

He's just trying to hide their identity. They've said they're an alum of like five different schools by now

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:07 pm He's just trying to hide their identity. They've said they're an alum of like five different schools by now
@Neighbor: Yes, I am trying to hide my identity; that's why I actually haven't confessed which school I'm an alumnus of. I'm too chicken and too chickensh*t. As for gopunahou, he has never tried to obscure his being a Punahou alumnus. I may not like his alma mater, but gopunahou is a more courageous person than I.