2017-18 Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2017-18 Basketball Thread

Post by gopunahou »

Can’t believe I’m about to do this, but I gotta cheer for KSK tomorrow so we can win the regular season title. That is if we beat Iolani, which should be easier than usual. All they’ve got going for them is that they host and will play with a passion against us. But will that be enough?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:24 pm
As for Kamehameha II clobbering Waialua, well, Waialua is definitely not a power basketball school, even in OIA D2. Having said that, I would agree that Kamehameha didn't show much class running-up the score on Waialua. But, Tacon isn't coaching the D2 team, right? So, I don't think we should hold him responsible for what the D2 coach did. I mean, OK, they're both coaching the same school, but how much control does Tacon have over the D2 coach?
Mistake me if I'm wrong but as the Varsity I coach of any program, don't you have a direct hand in who gets hired for the other teams from the Varsity II team down? I honestly don't care about huge score disparities except in a case where say a coach presses the whole game, leaves the starters in, and runs the score up purposefully on a smaller division school. That would be unsportsmanlike. He called out the integrity of the Kahuku basketball program for that last season when he didn't know the whole story nor was he even on the island at the time. I'm just saying it was hypocritical to one year call out another team winning on a huge margin and blast them on social media but then your own program does it and mums the word.

@gopunahou Unless Kamehameha gets back their leading scorer back, Kamehameha could see the same outcome as the last meeting.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 pm Can’t believe I’m about to do this, but I gotta cheer for KSK tomorrow so we can win the regular season title. That is if we beat Iolani, which should be easier than usual. All they’ve got going for them is that they host and will play with a passion against us. But will that be enough?
@gopunahou: Kamehameha isn't playing; they play Tuesday. Punahou should beat Iolani, but you can't expect Kamehameha to beat Maryknoll. I don't know what's happening with them, but it seems two of their starters haven't been playing for the last three games or so. Someone is screwing-up; my guess is that it's those two players. There seems to always be something that prevents Kamehameha from winning a basketball championship; it's been years since they last took the ILH D1 title. So, I wouldn't count on them. If your alma mater wants the title, Kamehameha almost certainly won't be able to help. They can't even help themselves; they are their own worst enemy.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 pm Can’t believe I’m about to do this, but I gotta cheer for KSK tomorrow so we can win the regular season title. That is if we beat Iolani, which should be easier than usual. All they’ve got going for them is that they host and will play with a passion against us. But will that be enough?
@gopunahou: I assume that you already know that Punahou lost. I don't know how that happened, but it did. I mean, I know that Punahou is Iolani's most bitter rival, but that still shouldn't have been enough for them to win. Somehow it happened; it is what it is. Punahou alumni must be pissed.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 pm
@gopunahou: I assume that you already know that Punahou lost. I don't know how that happened, but it did. I mean, I know that Punahou is Iolani's most bitter rival, but that still shouldn't have been enough for them to win. Somehow it happened; it is what it is. Punahou alumni must be pissed.
Unless Matsui delivers the state championship, I think he is on his way out, too.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:40 pm
I saw and it was real frustrating that it happened! Can't believe it! At least we've got more than a week to rebound, although we can't win the ILH.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:20 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:24 pm
As for Kamehameha II clobbering Waialua, well, Waialua is definitely not a power basketball school, even in OIA D2. Having said that, I would agree that Kamehameha didn't show much class running-up the score on Waialua. But, Tacon isn't coaching the D2 team, right? So, I don't think we should hold him responsible for what the D2 coach did. I mean, OK, they're both coaching the same school, but how much control does Tacon have over the D2 coach?
Mistake me if I'm wrong but as the Varsity I coach of any program, don't you have a direct hand in who gets hired for the other teams from the Varsity II team down? I honestly don't care about huge score disparities except in a case where say a coach presses the whole game, leaves the starters in, and runs the score up purposefully on a smaller division school. That would be unsportsmanlike. He called out the integrity of the Kahuku basketball program for that last season when he didn't know the whole story nor was he even on the island at the time. I'm just saying it was hypocritical to one year call out another team winning on a huge margin and blast them on social media but then your own program does it and mums the word.

@gopunahou Unless Kamehameha gets back their leading scorer back, Kamehameha could see the same outcome as the last meeting.
@Naz: I don't know if hiring practices have changed, but I knew someone who coached basketball at Kamehameha in the late-'70s. Back then, the vars coach had no say over who gets hired for JV. (I don't think the ILH had I-AA back then, but I can't be absolutely certain.) It was entirely up to the AD. Re your message to gopunahou: Are you talking about Victorino-Kato? What the hell happened to him?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:33 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 pm
Unless Matsui delivers the state championship, I think he is on his way out, too.
@gopunahou: Well, Punahou still has a chance to make states.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:13 pm
@Naz: I don't know if hiring practices have changed, but I knew someone who coached basketball at Kamehameha in the late-'70s. Back then, the vars coach had no say over who gets hired for JV. (I don't think the ILH had I-AA back then, but I can't be absolutely certain.) It was entirely up to the AD. Re your message to gopunahou: Are you talking about Victorino-Kato? What the hell happened to him?
I have to believe that Victorino-Kato will be playing against Maryknoll. Maybe it was an academic issue?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:54 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:13 pm
I have to believe that Victorino-Kato will be playing against Maryknoll. Maybe it was an academic issue?
@Naz: Well, if it is an academic issue, he's had almost three weeks to get his act together. Who knows, they might have beaten Punahou if he were playing, as Punahou lost to Iolani just a few days ago. When a player of his caliber screws-up, it hurts his coach, his school, and the school's supporters. It must have been really frustrating for Kamehameha fans to watch Punahou eat their team up, all because Victorino-Kato didn't maintain his academics. Kids should be a little more responsible than that, when they're a member of one of their school's teams.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Regarding Iolani, it'll be interesting to see how they perform in the ILH tournament. They've played like utter doodoo against Maryknoll but will likely play them again. I've seen Iolani teams play lackluster ball (though not as bad as this year) before and win a state title (2014 comes to mind). Another helping Iolani, as I've said before, is that this is a year when the Winter Olympics are happening. Iolani has won every year since 1994 when the Winter Olympics happened.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:39 pm Regarding Iolani, it'll be interesting to see how they perform in the ILH tournament. They've played like utter doodoo against Maryknoll but will likely play them again. I've seen Iolani teams play lackluster ball (though not as bad as this year) before and win a state title (2014 comes to mind). Another helping Iolani, as I've said before, is that this is a year when the Winter Olympics are happening. Iolani has won every year since 1994 when the Winter Olympics happened.
@gopunahou: I think you can disregard the Olympics; it has no connection to Iolani School basketball.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

What's your guys' thoughts on tonight's ILH semifinal game between Kamehameha and Punahou? To me, it's a huge game. I personally feel like both coach's jobs are (or should be) on the line. More so for Matsui. If he fails to even take Punahou to the state tournament, I think this will be the end of the road. I still think this will also be a big failure on Tacon's part if he fails to take this year's senior class to their first state tournament. Interesting...

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:17 pm What's your guys' thoughts on tonight's ILH semifinal game between Kamehameha and Punahou? To me, it's a huge game. I personally feel like both coach's jobs are (or should be) on the line. More so for Matsui. If he fails to even take Punahou to the state tournament, I think this will be the end of the road. I still think this will also be a big failure on Tacon's part if he fails to take this year's senior class to their first state tournament. Interesting...
@Naz: Well, Kamehameha lost by 22. That looks real bad for Tacon. I'm not saying Kamehameha shouldn't have lost; Punahou is ranked ahead of them. I don't know that they should have lost by 22. I don't think Tacon sucks; I don't know why they lost by that much. But, again, it certainly looks pretty bad.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:09 pm
Naz wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:17 pm What's your guys' thoughts on tonight's ILH semifinal game between Kamehameha and Punahou? To me, it's a huge game. I personally feel like both coach's jobs are (or should be) on the line. More so for Matsui. If he fails to even take Punahou to the state tournament, I think this will be the end of the road. I still think this will also be a big failure on Tacon's part if he fails to take this year's senior class to their first state tournament. Interesting...
@Naz: Well, Kamehameha lost by 22. That looks real bad for Tacon. I'm not saying Kamehameha shouldn't have lost; Punahou is ranked ahead of them. I don't know that they should have lost by 22. I don't think Tacon sucks; I don't know why they lost by that much. But, again, it certainly looks pretty bad.
My guess is mismanagement, which falls on the coaches. We also seem to have had their number, just like they had Iolani's number. We've proven that we can beat Maryknoll and only lost by one to them. Beating them twice, which would give us the ILH title, is another thing.