2017-18 Basketball Thread

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: 2017-18 Basketball Thread

Post by Naz »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:26 pm
@Naz: Are you into any other sports? A guy started a thread about judo, for example. What about baseball or softball?
No not really. I'm very much a prep basketball follower. Don't mind me if things come up and I revive this thread every once in a while.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Naz wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:05 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:26 pm
@Naz: Are you into any other sports? A guy started a thread about judo, for example. What about baseball or softball?
No not really. I'm very much a prep basketball follower. Don't mind me if things come up and I revive this thread every once in a while.
@Naz: Wow, you really are a pure basketball guy. I'm into all kinds of sports, even baseball and softball. Not too much into wrestling at all, and I don't know jack about judo.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I know this is late but regarding St. Francis playing at D1, I think they'll far similarly to AOP, which played 2 seasons in D1 in the early part of the decade.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:11 am I know this is late but regarding St. Francis playing at D1, I think they'll far similarly to AOP, which played 2 seasons in D1 in the early part of the decade.
@gopunahou: Speaking of which, what happened to AOP? Are they still around? I haven't heard anything about that school.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:25 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:11 am I know this is late but regarding St. Francis playing at D1, I think they'll far similarly to AOP, which played 2 seasons in D1 in the early part of the decade.
@gopunahou: Speaking of which, what happened to AOP? Are they still around? I haven't heard anything about that school.
No they shut down
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:09 pm
Naz wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:17 pm What's your guys' thoughts on tonight's ILH semifinal game between Kamehameha and Punahou? To me, it's a huge game. I personally feel like both coach's jobs are (or should be) on the line. More so for Matsui. If he fails to even take Punahou to the state tournament, I think this will be the end of the road. I still think this will also be a big failure on Tacon's part if he fails to take this year's senior class to their first state tournament. Interesting...
@Naz: Well, Kamehameha lost by 22. That looks real bad for Tacon. I'm not saying Kamehameha shouldn't have lost; Punahou is ranked ahead of them. I don't know that they should have lost by 22. I don't think Tacon sucks; I don't know why they lost by that much. But, again, it certainly looks pretty bad.
Your prediction came true. Tacon is out.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:00 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:09 pm
Naz wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:17 pm What's your guys' thoughts on tonight's ILH semifinal game between Kamehameha and Punahou? To me, it's a huge game. I personally feel like both coach's jobs are (or should be) on the line. More so for Matsui. If he fails to even take Punahou to the state tournament, I think this will be the end of the road. I still think this will also be a big failure on Tacon's part if he fails to take this year's senior class to their first state tournament. Interesting...
@Naz: Well, Kamehameha lost by 22. That looks real bad for Tacon. I'm not saying Kamehameha shouldn't have lost; Punahou is ranked ahead of them. I don't know that they should have lost by 22. I don't think Tacon sucks; I don't know why they lost by that much. But, again, it certainly looks pretty bad.
Your prediction came true. Tacon is out.
@gopunahou: The interesting thing is that, as you probably know, Tacon coached your alma mater before coaching Kamehameha. Before that, he coached Moanalua. Basketball is one sport in which Kamehameha can hold its own against Punahou and St Louis. I'm wondering what the deal was with Victorino-Kato. He might very well have been the best player in ILH D1, but he missed a stretch of three or four regular-season games. If Kamehameha had won however many of those games that they lost, perhaps Tacon would be back.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:51 pm@gopunahou: The interesting thing is that, as you probably know, Tacon coached your alma mater before coaching Kamehameha. Before that, he coached Moanalua. Basketball is one sport in which Kamehameha can hold its own against Punahou and St Louis. I'm wondering what the deal was with Victorino-Kato. He might very well have been the best player in ILH D1, but he missed a stretch of three or four regular-season games. If Kamehameha had won however many of those games that they lost, perhaps Tacon would be back.
If lack of key players ruined Kamehameha's season, it ain't the first time they've derailed a Tacon-coached team. The last year he coached us, we lost our second-best player to an injury before the season started and couldn't make the state tournament (despite fielding one of the more talented teams in the state and beating Iolani).
Last edited by gopunahou on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:47 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:51 pm@gopunahou: The interesting thing is that, as you probably know, Tacon coached your alma mater before coaching Kamehameha. Before that, he coached Moanalua. Basketball is one sport in which Kamehameha can hold its own against Punahou and St Louis. I'm wondering what the deal was with Victorino-Kato. He might very well have been the best player in ILH D1, but he missed a stretch of three or four regular-season games. If Kamehameha had won however many of those games that they lost, perhaps Tacon would be back.
If injuries ruined Kamehameha's season, it ain't the first time they've derailed a Tacon-coached team. The last year he coached us, we lost our second-best player to an injury before the season started and couldn't make the state tournament (despite fielding one of the more talented teams in the state and beating Iolani).
@gopunahou: Victorino-Kato didn't play those three or four games due to injury?